Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

SERPUS posted:

Y's can fire torps at 360°?

I don't think so, their stand has the same forward firing arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think their ion turret is 360, but not the torps.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I think their ion turret is 360, but not the torps.

The Ion turret can fire outside its arc, first line on the secondary equipment card for it.
Ion Turrets are a 5 point upgrade though, they don't come with the Y-wing for free.

quote:

Attack: Attack 1 ship (even a ship outside your firing arc)

Missiles and Torpedoes still have to follow the secondary weapon rules though, and have to fire using the ships firing arc.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 18, 2012

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Attack: Attack 1 ship (even a ship outside your firing arc).

edit: got to it before I did!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Whoops, ion cannon is what I meant. I haven't used it, just had it shooting at me.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I learned a valuable lesson last night:

In my fleet, I had Vader using Cluster Missiles [Attack (Target lock) Spend your target lock and discard this card to perform this action twice.] and I decided to unload and discard very early in the game (as in turn 4-5) to take out Horton Salm in a beefed up Y-wing. The attack succeeded, and with a combination of blaster fire from two of my other Ties he was destroyed.

By discarding the Cluster Missiles this early, I think I really gimped Vader for the rest of the game which lasted a good 2 hours due to fleet sizes. There were NUMEROUS turns where Vader had solid locks on enemy ships that could have been annihilated if I had kept just used a single spread of missiles on Salm.

From here out, I'm going to use them more wisely!

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Ok, maybe I was playing it wrong. The couple I played against tonight felt that missiles, either concussive or cluster, can only be fire once per game and after firing them, the card is discarded.

Guber
Sep 2, 2003

Feel the taint!

SERPUS posted:

Ok, maybe I was playing it wrong. The couple I played against tonight felt that missiles, either concussive or cluster, can only be fire once per game and after firing them, the card is discarded.

Yup, missile & torpedo cards say to "spend your target lock and discard this card to perform this attack".

I've only used a missile once and it only caused 1 hit. :toot: Quite pricey at 4 points.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Bought my 3rd Y-wing this afternoon and played this fleet tonight. I did surprisingly well against a 5-Tie list led by Marek. I think I could have won this if we played to the bitter end, but we had agreed on a 90-minute time limit beforehand. I lost by total points, but right as we ended I was just settling into a groove and thinking I might be able to destroy 1 Tie every other turn after that.
code:
Total Squad Points: 98

Pilot: "Dutch" Vander
Y-Wing
Upgrades:

Proton Torpedoes
    Ion Cannon Turret
    R2-D2

Pilot: Horton Salm
Y-Wing
Upgrades:

Proton Torpedoes
    Ion Cannon Turret
    R2-F2

Pilot: Gold Squadron Pilot 1
Y-Wing
Upgrades:

Ion Cannon Turret
    R5-K6

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Are Rebel players finding the Y wing to be more effective than the X? I'm struggling to get the Rebels to "work" for me.

I really like the combo of Biggs and R2D2, as he can tank for a good amount of the game, but the Rebels are so damned expensive I feel you can't really spam lovely pilots, but have to go for a squad of 3 badasses instead. Can anyone help me see the upside of RebSpam?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I think Rebels are expensive just because all of the ships have a minimum of 2 upgrades. I'd consider that to be versatility above and beyond the basic Academy TIE pilot. Even the most basic Y-wing pilot can bring in 2 photon torpedoes, an ion cannon, and an astromech.

Also, I think unless you're adhering to the tournament rules, who's to stop you from playing 100+ point games? Field those 3 badasses and bring in 3 rookie wingmen!

I'm am really looking forward to Wave 2 and beyond.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Speaking of Wave 2, Game Empire Pasadena (CA) will be holding a Kessel Run event on Dec 15. If you're in the area, you should come on out.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
This was my list today for a fun game:

code:
Total Squad Points: 97

Pilot: [b]Darth Vader[/b]
Tie Advanced x1
Upgrades:

Marksmanship
    Cluster Missiles

Pilot: [b]Maarek Stele[/b]
Tie Advanced
Upgrades:

Marksmanship
    Cluster Missiles

Pilot: [b]Storm Squadron Pilot 1[/b]
Tie Advanced
Upgrades:

Cluster Missiles
I flew against a 99 pt. Rebel group with 3 elite X-wings loaded down with missiles and astromechs. In the first combat merge I destroyed Wedge Antilles and severely damaged Luke Skywalker with my 3-ship missile barrage.

My friend juked his way out of a second and third head-on pass and managed to use Garven Dreis and R5-D8 to nearly repair Luke.

In the fourth pass, both Luke and Garven proton torpedoed Maarek into star dust.

After that, the game turned into a shoot-out at the OK Corral, with the Tie-A's making tighter and tighter turns and barrel rolling out of firing arcs and the X-wings making broad sweeping passes and tearing through my shields.

A few turns later I scored an incredibly lucky roll from my Storm Squadron pilot into Garven at range 1: 2 crits and a hit. The first crit removed Garven's pilot ability, and lo and behold the second crit was the "inflicts 2 regular damage" card. That, followed by 1 point of regular damage sent Garven to his maker.

Luke Skywalker then tried to evade combat to establish a lock on Vader, but was quickly brought down by focus firing (and tight turn radii) of my Tie-A's.

Excellent game overall.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Is there someplace that has a break down of what upgrades/pilots come with each set/ship? I'm trying to figure out if an extra starter or extra expansions is better in the long run. I don't need extra bits otherwise, but extra pilots and upgrades seem pretty important.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
There sure is: on boardgamegeek. Here's the X-wing expansion. I started with 1 core set and 1 of each expansion pack. When I wanted to beef up my force, I bought another core set because three ships (1x Xwing and 2x Ties) for 24 bucks was a good deal. You definitely want one of each expansion though to get all of the cards.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

So we got to use this tonight, it was a blast.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Fingers McGee posted:

So we got to use this tonight, it was a blast.

the scale is off but it looks great! whats it from?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Some old Kenner collectible from 1996. The community created a set of rules for it to use in a scenario.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

SERPUS posted:

There sure is: on boardgamegeek. Here's the X-wing expansion. I started with 1 core set and 1 of each expansion pack. When I wanted to beef up my force, I bought another core set because three ships (1x Xwing and 2x Ties) for 24 bucks was a good deal. You definitely want one of each expansion though to get all of the cards.

I'm trying to figure out is which cards/pilots that I will need more than one of so that I can sort through the expansions to figure out how to get them.
I'm thinking about 1 base, and 2 of each expansion (3 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 4 Tie, 2 Advanced) baring any card shenanigans.

Acinonyx fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 26, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Acinonyx posted:

Ya, I definitely want a copy of each of the cards, but what I'm trying to figure out is which sets have cards/pilots that I need more than one of?

If you have one of each expansion, you'll end up with everything you need. I can't speak for official events, but if you want to use more than one of an equipment card that you only have a single copy of, it's not unreasonable to house-rule it to just apply the same card to multiple ships.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm so glad this game doesn't do any of the collectable mystery box crap we've seen in the past.

I figure I'll pick up the starter set. What should I get after that? The consensus seems to be one of each of the expansions. Should I also get a second core, or just a set of dice?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm so glad this game doesn't do any of the collectable mystery box crap we've seen in the past.

I figure I'll pick up the starter set. What should I get after that? The consensus seems to be one of each of the expansions. Should I also get a second core, or just a set of dice?

Most Imperial forces use a lot of ties, and the core set is a good buy for getting ties, so I'd probably just get a second Core, to be honest. Core set is a good deal, especially online.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
If you get a second core, you won't need the extra dice set. I didn't think about this is my initial buying frenzy, so now I have something like 8 of each color.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

SERPUS posted:

If you get a second core, you won't need the extra dice set. I didn't think about this is my initial buying frenzy, so now I have something like 8 of each color.

I think I'll probably end up with 12 of each color (Dice set and 3 cores) and I'm totally okay with that. If nothing else when you play you don't have to toss dice between the two players (assuming you're all using your things.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Sounds good to me!

What's this I hear about a Star Wars RPG? Will it use this system for combat somehow?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would suggest a second core set. It's a great value for getting 2 TIEs and an X-Wing. Also, it gets you a second set of movement templates; great for playing with someone that doesn't have their own set.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sounds good to me!

What's this I hear about a Star Wars RPG? Will it use this system for combat somehow?

I think the only thing the two have in common is goofy dice. But not the same goofy dice, unfortunately.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Ok cool. On Cool Stuff it looks like I can get 2 base sets, 1 X-wing, 1 Tie, 2 Tie-A, and 2 Y-wings for the same as the stuff I was looking at, and end up one Tie ahead. $101.73 seems reasonable to be able to play 7 Imperials vs. 5 Rebels. Ships ordered!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

What lists are people running in tournaments?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WerrWaaa posted:

What lists are people running in tournaments?

Here are the lists for the GenCon Final. I might have missed something because the Rebel guy has 100 points and the Imperial only has 91. Fixed it.

Is there a limit to the number of fighters you can bring? Otherwise I wonder why the Imperial didn't drop the Cluster Missiles and bring another TIE.

Rebel Side
Luke Skywalker 28
R2-D2 4

Garven Dreis 26
R2 Astromech 1

Rookie X-Wing Pilot 21
R5 Astromech 1

Gold Squadron Pilot 18
R5 Astromech 1

Imperial Player
Darth Vader 29
Cluster Missiles 4

"Backstabber" 16

"Night Beast" 15

Academy Pilot 12

Academy Pilot 12

Academy Pilot 12

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 28, 2012

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Here is probably what I'm going to bring to Kessel Run:
code:
Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Darth Vader
Tie Advanced x1
Upgrades:

Squad Leader
    Cluster Missiles

Pilot: Maarek Stele
Tie Advanced
Upgrades:

Marksmanship
    Cluster Missiles

Pilot: "Howlrunner"
Tie Fighter

Pilot: Obsidian Squadron Pilot 1
Tie Fighter

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here are the lists for the GenCon Final. I might have missed something because the Rebel guy has 100 points and the Imperial only has 91.

Is there a limit to the number of fighters you can bring? Otherwise I wonder why the Imperial didn't drop the Cluster Missiles and bring another TIE.

Rebel Side
Luke Skywalker 28
R2-D2 4

Garven Dreis 26
R2 Astromech 1

Rookie X-Wing Pilot 21
R5 Astromech 1

Gold Squadron Pilot 18
R5 Astromech 1

Imperial Player
Darth Vader 20
Cluster Missiles 4

"Backstabber" 16

"Night Beast" 15

Academy Pilot 12

Academy Pilot 12

Academy Pilot 12

Vader is 29 points, not 20.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Devlan Mud posted:

Vader is 29 points, not 20.

That would do it. Thanks!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Would someone please explain to me why FFG decided to use two posts to get the model to the right height, as opposed to one? I've already snapped one of those stupid loving pegs right off.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Would someone please explain to me why FFG decided to use two posts to get the model to the right height, as opposed to one? I've already snapped one of those stupid loving pegs right off.

Having two posts means twice as many fiddly bits to lose, break, or chase after when the dog hits them with his tail. I think we both know how FFG feels about those.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Achmed Jones posted:

Having two posts means twice as many fiddly bits to lose, break, or chase after when the dog hits them with his tail. I think we both know how FFG feels about those.

Well I know how I feel about Testor's Model Master plastic cement, and those little fuckers are being solvent welded together as we speak.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I've been having some success with:

Wedge+torps+Marksman+R2D2

Garven+R2+Torps

Dutch+R5K6+Torps

Garven and Dutch are best freinds, handing each other Focus and Target locks, and Wedge just flies around, critting the world.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are torps really that helpful? Supposedly there's going to be upgrades in the next release that will let you get an extra shield, which seems like a no brainer to me.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are torps really that helpful? Supposedly there's going to be upgrades in the next release that will let you get an extra shield, which seems like a no brainer to me.

Shield upgrade is four points though, which is an awful lot. Torps are pretty solid when Dutch can give a lock to someone who has a focus token to use to boost the roll. I just can't see running a Y-Wing without the Ion Turret. I'm also a much bigger fan of R5 droids on Y-Wings, since they have a ton of hull points, and the R5 is cheap.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Devlan Mud posted:

Shield upgrade is four points though, which is an awful lot. Torps are pretty solid when Dutch can give a lock to someone who has a focus token to use to boost the roll. I just can't see running a Y-Wing without the Ion Turret. I'm also a much bigger fan of R5 droids on Y-Wings, since they have a ton of hull points, and the R5 is cheap.

My point was that Proton Torpedoes cost the same, but I guess if you put in the effort to maximize the chances of hitting I suppose that would be a viable offset.

• Locked thread