Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

The Dregs posted:

How old do you think a child needs to be in order to play this game? It seems very simple from reading the OP. I'd like to try it with my son. He's 8, and Small World is perfect for him in difficulty, if that comparison helps.

Ive played it with my 6yr old son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Any recommendations for a place to get them cheap online? I live in Australia if that helps.

edit: Just checked the bottom of the first page recommending CoolStuffInc, is there any idea of an ETA for the A-Wing and TIE-Interceptor?

Karandras fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 18, 2012

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I didn't do any real checking on shipping prices, but my FLGS has it 20% off and I'm fairly sure they'll ship wherever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Karandras posted:

edit: Just checked the bottom of the first page recommending CoolStuffInc, is there any idea of an ETA for the A-Wing and TIE-Interceptor?

My FLGS said they would probably start shipping in late October, and be at stores a couple weeks after that. However Fantasy Flight does not give out firm release dates, so it could slip later than that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

jivjov posted:

My FLGS said they would probably start shipping in late October, and be at stores a couple weeks after that. However Fantasy Flight does not give out firm release dates, so it could slip later than that.

I'm still waiting for 40k RPG books from FFG I ordered 18 months ago.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm still waiting for 40k RPG books from FFG I ordered 18 months ago.

It takes a long time to pack 40,000 books. And transporting them? Jeez...

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Since I can't edit my post with the phone app for some reason today, here's the missing link from my last post: http://www.scifigenre.com/itemList.aspx?sid=0IH1X1RQ1JJTHX0&nCategoryID=8&nSubCategoryID=135&nExpandToID=5666

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

jivjov posted:

According to the guy at mine, it'd probably be late November.

Finally got my first game in today and it was a lot more fun than I'd anticipated. Took about an hour to get through one of the book missions, but 75% of that was reading rules. I can't imagine how fast this can go when everyone knows what they're doing...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CrotchPheasant posted:

According to the guy at mine, it'd probably be late November.

Finally got my first game in today and it was a lot more fun than I'd anticipated. Took about an hour to get through one of the book missions, but 75% of that was reading rules. I can't imagine how fast this can go when everyone knows what they're doing...

The big thing that tends to slow my games down is assigning actions (Focus/Evade/Barrel Roll/etc). Hopefully that'll go away when people get more comfortable with the game.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Needs a quick run over with a cool iron but other than its perfect!

Bought from Hotz Mats

http://www.hotzmats.com/

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Does anyone have ideas for forming a league around X-Wing? I want to get more folks together around this game on a semi-regular basis, but don't have any experience running organized long-term play.

(Also, Victor, for interested parties.)

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

WerrWaaa posted:

Does anyone have ideas for forming a league around X-Wing? I want to get more folks together around this game on a semi-regular basis, but don't have any experience running organized long-term play.

(Also, Victor, for interested parties.)

Victor! Ah, you're the guy who replaced Corrin right?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
So the next wave of ships has been pushed back to February and they are running a special tournament, the Kessel Run, as a way to give out some ships early. I've already requested one, and you should too. I want those ships, drat it. Deadline is Nov. 15th.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

This game is sweeping through my local store. I played 2 games of two v two Wednesday after our Warmachine league cratered and it was tons of fun and I have a starter box on the way. Im sad about the delay of the expantions, slave 1 :(

nuggets
May 14, 2003
Thanks to this thread I just bought a bunch of x-wing poo poo on amazon.

I glossed over it twice at gencon. Didn't think it'd be my cup of tea. You guys make quality sales pitches, though. Trad Games is killing my wallet.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So Dutch Vander with R5-K6.

Dutch has his thing where he grants target lock, which is fine and dandy and all that good stuff. But what happens when R5-K6 has you immediately acquiring Target Lock again after spending it? Does Dutch then grant another Target Lock because he just acquired one?

Running him in a fire team with Garven Dreis has a lot of hilarity potential too.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Winners of the X-Wing tourney at Worlds got Millennium Falcons, so here's a bunch of spoilers for that: http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=250&p=1180#p1180

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
drat, that looks amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on the Wave 2 stuff.

I got my store to sign up for the Kessel Run event, so hopefully that fires. I haven't had a chance to partake in any tournaments yet, just casual matches, so it should be a lot of fun.

Looks like FFG also revealed their first official "Game Night" kit for hobby stores to sign up for: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3698

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Tonight was X wing night at the store. 2v2 @ 60 points each for this game, and Empire won. I killed Wedge in the other 2 games and The Empire won those too. Everyone is having a blast with this game.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
In a 2v2 120 point game like that (or was it 60/team?), did you use a space larger than 3x3?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Another "most fun I've had in a long, long time" from me. Sweeping through my FLGS. Empire for life!

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I just ordered nearly $250 worth of stuff for this just now. It should all arrive on Wednesday. Next step: find someone to play it with!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

SERPUS posted:

I just ordered nearly $250 worth of stuff for this just now. It should all arrive on Wednesday. Next step: find someone to play it with!

What'd you buy? O_O

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Has there been any word if we will get larger ships? Large than the falcon anyways? Id love to see frigates and Corvette.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I think some people on the FFG forums have some homebrew rules to use a Corvette from Hasbro in the game, but there hasn't been anything official announced yet.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

LumberingTroll posted:

Has there been any word if we will get larger ships? Large than the falcon anyways? Id love to see frigates and Corvette.

I think the Corvette would be the absolute largest FFG would go without having to alter scales. And from the design notes, they seem to be pretty serious about keeping scale in order.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I was thinking larger ships would be cool too and I feel like a large-scale expansion would be cool as long as you could still use the little ships. We'll see what Disney has them do with it...

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Merauder posted:

In a 2v2 120 point game like that (or was it 60/team?), did you use a space larger than 3x3?

60 each player so yea 120 for each side. We haven't been sticking to 3x3 at all, we didnt really measure out a size, just setup from the edge.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I just played a 70ish point game against a friend. I had an X-wing and 2 Y's, he had 3 basic Ties and an Interceptor and he absolutely wiped me.

I lost Biggs in the first 3-4 turns to Vader's missiles, and he slowly whittled down my Y-wings to 1 hull each. Then he just kited my poor ships around until all of his were in range 1, and critted them both to death.

This game can certainly go either way.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
In almost every wargame, skirmish, conflict, fleet or what ever, I always find it infinitely more enjoyable to play with some kind of objective, instead of a basic death match style. I think that XWMG could definitely benefit from having more of them. The ones in the manual are alright, but there needs to be more for sure.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I didn't really see this clarified in the rules, and it came up during play today: Are the focus and evade tokens reusable? Although I can't imagine them being a one-time use thing, but if they ARE reusable, shouldn't they be played at every opportunity?

This is how we played today. Almost every activation phase ended with focus/evade/special ability tokens being next to a ship.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SERPUS posted:

I didn't really see this clarified in the rules, and it came up during play today: Are the focus and evade tokens reusable? Although I can't imagine them being a one-time use thing, but if they ARE reusable, shouldn't they be played at every opportunity?

This is how we played today. Almost every activation phase ended with focus/evade/special ability tokens being next to a ship.

Unless I've been playing wrong, they are reusable. However, you only can (normally) put down one per ship per turn, so if you've got multiple tokens next to a ship you may be doing it wrong.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

SERPUS posted:

I think you're playing it wrong. Do you still have the booklet? You cancel out a damage die with a evade counter. The same goes for the focus. You can only choose an action once per turn and cannot choose and action if you used a red turn.

edit: definitely playing it wrong, guys:

Spending a evade token -
If the defender has an evade token, he may return it to the action token supply to add one additional evade result to his defense roll.

Same goes for focus.

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 17, 2012

Fingat
May 17, 2004

We clear all the focus at the start of each turn.

SERPUS posted:

I just played a 70ish point game against a friend. I had an X-wing and 2 Y's, he had 3 basic Ties and an Interceptor and he absolutely wiped me.

I lost Biggs in the first 3-4 turns to Vader's missiles, and he slowly whittled down my Y-wings to 1 hull each. Then he just kited my poor ships around until all of his were in range 1, and critted them both to death.

This game can certainly go either way.

Did you take any proton torps for the Y wings?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I played tonight and am still getting used to the rules of the game. Two questions arose -

1) Does a regular attack with primary weapons count as an "action" as far as a stress token is concerned? IE: If I have a stressed ship, can it still do regular attacks?

2) Does spending (not applying) a target lock count as an action? If not, does that mean you can apply and use a target lock on the same turn?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Fingers McGee posted:

Did you take any proton torps for the Y wings?

No, only the X-wing had them.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I played tonight and am still getting used to the rules of the game. Two questions arose -

1) Does a regular attack with primary weapons count as an "action" as far as a stress token is concerned? IE: If I have a stressed ship, can it still do regular attacks?

2) Does spending (not applying) a target lock count as an action? If not, does that mean you can apply and use a target lock on the same turn?

1)No. Yes you can still attack
2)Spending a target lock is not an action. Its a combat modifier. So you can apply and spend in the same turn.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

SERPUS posted:

When you use the effect of the tokens you are supposed to discard them, if at the end of the turn, if they are still in play you discard them as well.

On the back of the rule book, under the right side of the quick reference

quote:

Focus: Place 1 focus token on the active ship. During the Combat phase, spend it to change all (eye) results to (hit) results (when attacking) or (eye) results to (evade) results (when defending)

quote:

Evade: Place 1 evade token on the active ship. During the Combat phase, spend it to add one (evade) result to the defense roll.

Step 4 of the Game Round:

quote:

End Phase: Players remove unused action tokens from their ships (except target locks) and resolve any "End Phase" abilities on cards.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

SERPUS posted:

No, only the X-wing had them.

It helps to have that 360 firing arc since the Y wings cant maneuver as well as the Ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Y's can fire torps at 360°?

• Locked thread