Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What does the droid do in the X Wing expansion pack? Not the little red guy, the other one?

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Where do I find the maneuver templates for the new guys? I only saw the Interceptor's posted online.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Merauder posted:

Considering not including the R2 Astro on Garven too, just to be sitting at 99 for Initiative sake.

Do not do that. "Initiative" is bad in this game. It does two things: (1) makes your guy move first in pilot skill ties, (2) and makes your guy shoot first in pilot skill ties.

(1) is bad because moving later is better because you can more intelligently select your actions that way. I mean that's the whole reason high pilot skill makes you move later. It's meant to be a good thing, and it is, possibility of running into some jerk and losing your action(s) aside. You do not want to move first.

(2) is meaningless. There is a rule that if you are killed by someone who ties your pilot skill, you still get to shoot before dying! So for all real purposes you don't actually shoot first. In fact, if your "first shot" kills your equally-skilled victim, you could in corner cases be at a disadvantage, because you have now informed him that he is about to die and should take that proton shot he's considering or whatever!*

Do not sell your squad short for Initiative, ever. It is a horribly misnamed concept.

*well, if you crit the guy, he suffers the crit's effects. But I personally consider that a corner-case-good that only balances corner-case-bad. Initiative is still lousy and not worth precious squad points.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 18, 2012

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

alg posted:

new preview for Lambda and HWK290:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4193

Y-Wing options! :unsmith:

Pretty lame option though :smith:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Leo Showers posted:

What I really don't understand is FFG limiting Imperial meta but then just opening the gates with the amazing poo poo Rebel Aces has.

I bet you they feel constrained by the EU "canon," which A) decided ages ago, despite the films never showing most of this, that some ships have fancy computers/can fly fast/whatever and others Do Not and B) has a funny way of focusing on the Rebels since they're the good guys and therefore provides a lot more material to borrow that favors them.

In my opinion, Rebel lists are more engaging to build and more varied than Imperial because they have oodles more upgrade icons and associated cards. Droids are exclusively Rebel and available on the ever-popular X-Wing; Bombs, exclusively Imperial*, have far fewer choices open to them than Droids, and can only be equipped on pricey Firesprays and specific-use Bombers; Turrets are exclusively Rebel; the Falcon can equip two Crew and the Firespray can't**; there are far more Rebel Only cards than Imperial Only; until this Wave the Imperials didn't have a B-Wing-style fighter with Systems/Cannon (still don't, really, due to cost); and really ultimately the fact that TIE Fighters and TIE Interceptors don't have ANY upgrade icons while every single Rebel ship has at least missiles is the best expression of the issue.

Rebel Aces throwing an extra medal space on A-Wings, when new medal releases were formerly something you could at least say equally favored both sides, and Crew on the B-Wing is exacerbating a problem that's been there since launch.

*just you watch - the foretold Y-Wing / TIE Advanced buff pack will give Bombs to Y-Wings, simultaneously not really helping them much and denying the Imperials their only unique upgrade type. And it'll give proton torps or some bullshit to the Advanced.

**although in fairness the Firespray can have big guns and bombs that the Falcon can't, I think the possibilities of two Crew are more fun, and there are more Crew cards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh it's not about playstyles. Imperials being inclined towards swarm builds is not here or there to the point of upgrade card availability. Nor am I calling Imperial weak. The issue is they have fewer choices, which makes them less fun to theorycraft and in turn leads to a smaller array of viable builds. Fewer choices also invariably leads to lower power as options are released and combos are discovered, but I am not presently arguing that the game balance has actually suffered for it to date.

I was actually thinking of TIE Defender as the expensive Systems choice, kind of forgot Phantoms get Systems and not Defenders. My bad. That's a result of me personally choosing not to purchase or pay overmuch attention to EU ships. I suppose it's still true that B-Wings give Rebels easier access to heavy guns than Imperials can get.

Point is that Rebels have a shitload more options cards than Imperials, and while that may not yet cause an imbalance in the Force, it does make Rebel squads more exciting.

Also, unrelated, but I still think the Systems icon is a massive pile of nonsense thematically. I don't really get why all Systems cards are not merely Modifications - Targeting Computer and Stealth Device anybody can install, but only some ships can install Sensor Jammers and Fire Control because :iiam:

• Locked thread