Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I used to make my girls the teething biscuits from the King Arthur Flour cookbook (recipe can be found here). They turn out hard as a rock, which is actually good for babies because they can't break off little easy-to-choke-on pieces- they just kinda melt into goo after a long period of gumming.

As for switching to milk, when I weaned my youngest she would only drink cow's milk if it was warmed to body temp, same as boob juice. I think it was just the cold temp that squicked her out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
You don't have to wean at one. If you really want to though, there's no reason your kid needs cow's milk. There are other places to get calcium and vitamin D. You could try other types of 'milk' like soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, hemp milk. All of those have fortified versions.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Lyz posted:

So, Chris turns 1 this week, it's weaning time! I really don't think I'm producing all that much anyways so I don't feel too bad.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get him to like cow's milk? I gave it to him a couple times at breakfast, he just drinks it, opens his mouth and lets it spill out, then refuses the cup. Should I try to sweeten it with something (he likes all types of fruit juices)? Or should I start with something like 1% and ramp him up to whole?

Here's the obligatory messy birthday cake photo, had a great party for him this past weekend.

Whole is sweeter than skim. If he doesn't like whole, skim will taste like dirty water.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Pretty much at the end of my rope with my son and school. He had a good first couple of weeks, but since the start of this month he's been lashing out violently and throwing tantrums of increasing intensity.

His meds have gone up a dose, and the school is starting him on an abbreviated school day. Bus'll pick him up about 7ish, and we pick him up at the school at noon. He may have to transfer to a more restrictive classroom environment in a different school, which will just be a joy to deal with if things don't improve.

I'm pretty much just sick and tired of practically living in the school office. I've tried everything I can think of, from prizes for good behavior to taking away privileges. Anyone have any methods that have worked for them in motivating a kid to behave while away from home and parents?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Hey AngryRobots. That's tough. I feel for you. I don't have any suggestions that your you and your son's EA probably already went through.

Is he lashing out at students or staff? What sparks the tantrums?

For our son his school tantrums are usually associated with him losing a special object (lego, a dime he just picked up, etc) and then being forced to transition to another activity before he finds it. At home we used sticker charts to track good behavior (good behavior = stickers on a page. X number of stickers = prize or privilege) but that's just not possible at school so we've stopped using them.

Our school has started him and some other ASD kids on a special class twice a week that teaches social skills and ways of dealing with stress without melting down. Up until now it's been things like recognizing when you're starting to have a meltdown and basically giving yourself a timeout if needed. Recently they've also been working on understanding "rigid" thinking and how to make your thinking more "flexible".

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

Is he lashing out at students or staff? What sparks the tantrums?

Currently not getting his way, which then evolves into attention seeking.

He's currently in a program specifically geared towards kids with autism, and they can usually distract him from getting that bad, but sometimes things just get bad quick.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
What's the oldest you guys have swaddled? I am tempted to start putting my 9-month-old back into the Sleep Sack, arms-out with the swaddly bit wrapped around his middle, to see if it helps him fall asleep and stay there without having to gnaw on my boob. We swaddled consistently until he started rolling over and haven't done it in a few months.

I think he might be a zombie in training. He throws a fit if you offer a paci or teething ring but he loves to try to chew on my boob or arm or knee or the cats or whatever living flesh happens to be near his mouth.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Chicken McNobody posted:

What's the oldest you guys have swaddled? I am tempted to start putting my 9-month-old back into the Sleep Sack, arms-out with the swaddly bit wrapped around his middle, to see if it helps him fall asleep and stay there without having to gnaw on my boob. We swaddled consistently until he started rolling over and haven't done it in a few months.

I think he might be a zombie in training. He throws a fit if you offer a paci or teething ring but he loves to try to chew on my boob or arm or knee or the cats or whatever living flesh happens to be near his mouth.

We swaddled later than most, until around 6 months, and then switched to sleepsacks. Does he have a lovey? That helped our little guy when we transitioned out of them. We started off having him hold a bunny while I nursed him, then put it in the crib with him, with one ear tucked into his mouth to chew on. Now 2 months later, he only hugs it and doesn't need to chew.

Have you tried this type of teether? http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Silicone-Teether-Bristles-Colors/dp/B005LETP1A The silicone gives it a feel that's actually kind of like flesh and there's a little brushy part that hits those teeth just right. My guy refuses all teething rings, icy washcloths, and pacifiers, but loves this one.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Chicken McNobody posted:

I used the swaddle on my son until he was well over a year. He'd fall asleep in it and I'd unzip it a little bit to free his arms after he was asleep.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Can I just say thank everything sweet and holy for sleep sacks? We tried swaddling with blankets like the nurses did for us at the hospital, but she broke out of them so easily, even though we double blanketed her. We started using a sleep sack the week after we got home, and she started sleeping better. I didn't realize how much better until we went without it the last two nights--I threw it into the laundry hamper and my husband forgot to put it in the machine, so we had her in nice footy pyjamas instead. She was up every hour and refused to settle for ages each time. Last night we put her back in the sack and she slept through the night and woke in an awesome mood. I have a bigger one lined up for when she outgrows this one. :)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

raaaan posted:

Can I just say thank everything sweet and holy for sleep sacks? We tried swaddling with blankets like the nurses did for us at the hospital, but she broke out of them so easily, even though we double blanketed her. We started using a sleep sack the week after we got home, and she started sleeping better. I didn't realize how much better until we went without it the last two nights--I threw it into the laundry hamper and my husband forgot to put it in the machine, so we had her in nice footy pyjamas instead. She was up every hour and refused to settle for ages each time. Last night we put her back in the sack and she slept through the night and woke in an awesome mood. I have a bigger one lined up for when she outgrows this one. :)

Get more than one in each size, so you can avoid the laundry mishaps. At some point your kid is going to pee or crap or vomit all over it in the middle of the night and having another one ready to go is a godsend.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Ben Davis posted:

We swaddled later than most, until around 6 months, and then switched to sleepsacks. Does he have a lovey? That helped our little guy when we transitioned out of them. We started off having him hold a bunny while I nursed him, then put it in the crib with him, with one ear tucked into his mouth to chew on. Now 2 months later, he only hugs it and doesn't need to chew.

Have you tried this type of teether? http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Silicone-Teether-Bristles-Colors/dp/B005LETP1A The silicone gives it a feel that's actually kind of like flesh and there's a little brushy part that hits those teeth just right. My guy refuses all teething rings, icy washcloths, and pacifiers, but loves this one.

He has rejected all efforts to get him to bond with any comfort object or teether...he requires almost constant human companionship. (In a pinch, a small dog will do.) I love that he needs Mommy so much, but it does wear on you after a while and I'm starting to get worried about his mental state. (Not that a 9-month-old has much of a mental state, but you know mom-guilt.)

One thing he does seem to love is a used dryer sheet, but I'm not comfortable letting him chew on that and it doesn't lull him to sleep anyway, he just wants to run it through his hands. Kids are weird.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Tried swaddling, she'd generally hate it. Couldn't have her arms inside, kicked and kicked until it came undone and the blankets came off her.

Tried sleep sacks, she'd vomit/pee/poop on all of our sleep sacks in one night. Also I don't have a drier so getting them dry by the next night was tricky. Also, she was going through a size every week to week and a half so we decided to stop setting fire to our money.

She sleeps fine now with just a blanket loosely laid across her, tucked in so it can't work it's way over her face.

Any advice for getting her to sleep in her own bed? At the moment she demands to sleep on our bed, also my partner had some anxiety issues from the hospital, so I've pretty much been on the couch since she was born. Now she's getting older I want to transition her to her own cot, but she seems to think her cot is a great place to play rather than sleep. She'll lie there for ages giggling, rolling around and babbling to herself.

She's 11 weeks old and has slept in her cot before, but my partner got really anxious about her being in another bed. Now that that is mostly dealt with she's fine to move her into her cot.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

We used the sleep sense program (after 3 months) and it was a god send. It basically modifies cry it out: no going to bed asleep, sleepy yes, asleep no. To the point that we would wake him up after feeding so he could be 'awake'. Letting him cry for intervals before going in, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes etc. Calming him down then putting him back to sleep (if he's not hungry). Etc etc.

It worked *really* well for us, to the point that at 7 months he was sleeping through the night (12 ish hours) and sleeps two 1-2 hour naps during the day (he's 11 months today).

The problem is that we've lost that 'connection'. Hard to explain as a dad but he use to sleep on our chests in the afternoon and nap with us but if he isn't sleeping in his crib he's out and about. I guess maybe it's because we've associated 'crib' with 'sleep now' and the rest of the house with 'play time' or 'eat time' but if he's not in his crib there's no down time with us around in the same room. Is that something people who used no-cry experienced or just something that comes as they get older?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Konomex posted:

Tried swaddling, she'd generally hate it. Couldn't have her arms inside, kicked and kicked until it came undone and the blankets came off her.

Tried sleep sacks, she'd vomit/pee/poop on all of our sleep sacks in one night. Also I don't have a drier so getting them dry by the next night was tricky. Also, she was going through a size every week to week and a half so we decided to stop setting fire to our money.

She sleeps fine now with just a blanket loosely laid across her, tucked in so it can't work it's way over her face.

Any advice for getting her to sleep in her own bed? At the moment she demands to sleep on our bed, also my partner had some anxiety issues from the hospital, so I've pretty much been on the couch since she was born. Now she's getting older I want to transition her to her own cot, but she seems to think her cot is a great place to play rather than sleep. She'll lie there for ages giggling, rolling around and babbling to herself.

She's 11 weeks old and has slept in her cot before, but my partner got really anxious about her being in another bed. Now that that is mostly dealt with she's fine to move her into her cot.

You could try starting with the cot in your room and eventually moving it to her room. What we did, though, was put him down for naps in his crib, while having him spend nights with us until he was used to it, and anecdotally, had no problem at all. I think it's great that she rolls around and babbled and laughs! She sounds like a really happy baby. You do want her to LIKE her crib and not dread it. :) I'd honestly just let her play and tire herself out. Today for some reason, Kosta crawled and rolled around his for a solid hour before he decided to take his second nap. Doesn't bother me, since he's happy and not crying!

If your partner's not comfortable having the baby in her own room, she could try camping out on the floor to reassure herself that the baby's fine. Otherwise, video monitors are a godsend. I've been seeing the older Summer's Infant style at TJ Max and Marshalls lately.

As a side note, you may want to retry sleep sacks as she gets older, because I know ever since my little guy learned to roll, there was no way any blanket would stay on him! I know you said yours is 11 weeks--babies go through a few sizes at first, but then they tend to slow down a little. I think even getting one wearable blanket is a good investment, and again you can find them half off at discount stores. There are only 3 or 4 sizes of Halo sleepsacks, and my 1-year-old-sized 8-month-old is in either the medium or the large, so whenever that time comes, I'm sure one of them should fit!

edit: the vomiting will slow down too :)

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

The problem is that we've lost that 'connection'. Hard to explain as a dad but he use to sleep on our chests in the afternoon and nap with us but if he isn't sleeping in his crib he's out and about. I guess maybe it's because we've associated 'crib' with 'sleep now' and the rest of the house with 'play time' or 'eat time' but if he's not in his crib there's no down time with us around in the same room. Is that something people who used no-cry experienced or just something that comes as they get older?

I'm thinking it's more his age than your sleep approach. At 11 months, your dude is starting to go from little baby to toddler. It has its bittersweet qualities.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Chicken McNobody posted:

He has rejected all efforts to get him to bond with any comfort object or teether...he requires almost constant human companionship. (In a pinch, a small dog will do.) I love that he needs Mommy so much, but it does wear on you after a while and I'm starting to get worried about his mental state. (Not that a 9-month-old has much of a mental state, but you know mom-guilt.)

One thing he does seem to love is a used dryer sheet, but I'm not comfortable letting him chew on that and it doesn't lull him to sleep anyway, he just wants to run it through his hands. Kids are weird.

This need for constant human companionship was my daughter at this age. Exactly this. Because my sleep is more important than where she sleeps, (SERIOUSLY momma needs her sleep) we co-slept once she outgrew the swaddle stage. She eventually happily transitioned into the floor in our room, and from there worked into her own bed.

And was sleeping in her own bed, happily, until Life happened last month and she started to have to go to day care. Changing a small child's routine =\

(as of this week, she says she wants to sleep in our bed, and if we say okay and put her in bed there, she'll sneak out and onto the floor.. Slowly moving herself back into her room. Last night it was the floor in her room, close to the door. Crazy child.)

Dr. Sears calls them "high-needs babies".

Tl;dr version: This is just a small child thing, he just loves mommy more than he loves his toys. It's hard, it won't be forever.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Also, music. Train that kid like Pavlov's dogs to go to sleep to a certain tune.

I got this, has some good, repetitive lullabies and white noise.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I saw that glowy musical seahorse that everybody seems to adore the other day after not seeing them anywhere before. I was looking at the box and it didn't seem to have an age range (ie 3 months +) so at what age did/would you use it with your babies? Or other similar things like that frog or the sleep sheep?

Would you use it as a training tool like Lyz says, putting it on when you put them down as newborns? Or are they better being used later on, from a couple of months?

Does it help them to sleep in a strange environment? Like say, when the grandparents are babysitting or you're away somewhere?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

The sleep sheep's meant to go on the outside of the crib with the buttons facing in, so the baby can eventually reach over and punch the buttons, without it serving as a choking hazard. I straight-up asked my ped when she felt a comfort object would be safe in the crib, since the AAP has two conflicting statements--one saying one year, and one saying 6 months. She was happy with the 6 months guideline for small, firmly-stuffed stuffed animals.

edit: he didn't seem to care either way at first for the seahorse, but now, through the power of repetition and habit, he loves it. You can use it as a training tool early on or introduce it later. We played the seahorse at first when he was younger, but eventually started forgetting to, and got back into it around 6 months. Around 5 months he was given the sleep sheep, and that REALLY worked right away, but it doesn't fit snugly to our crib, so the buttons are harder for him to press. It does help, like all elements of a bedtime routine, for when babysitters are there and such.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 30, 2012

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Thanks for that. Little dude is 5 weeks old now and I will be going back to work soon for a couple of days a week, with my parents (who are only a stone's throw from work) looking after him while I'm there. I was wondering about getting the seahorse or equivalent to at night time/home days here and then taking it over with us to have a familiar something to help him get to sleep through the day or simply settle him down a bit.

Would that work at all? Or are they not that effective as a soothing tool?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
We've had the seahorse since Ben was born. He's 2.5 months old now and I've tried using it a few times. If anything at this age it distracts him from sleeping. I'll try using it again when he's a bit older. Every baby is different and it might end up being a good tool for your situation.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I always just kept the frog playing in the background, and after he dozed off turned it to white noise and put it in the bassinet with him. But I didn't start this until around five months old.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

iwik posted:

Thanks for that. Little dude is 5 weeks old now and I will be going back to work soon for a couple of days a week, with my parents (who are only a stone's throw from work) looking after him while I'm there. I was wondering about getting the seahorse or equivalent to at night time/home days here and then taking it over with us to have a familiar something to help him get to sleep through the day or simply settle him down a bit.

Would that work at all? Or are they not that effective as a soothing tool?

At 5 weeks, I don't think Kosta cared where he was sleeping at all. You'll probably find that he'll sleep just fine at both places.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
At what age did your kid stop having any middle of the night feedings? E is coming up on 10 months and like clockwork wakes up at 2:30am to eat. How do I tell he is ready to drop that feeding?

Toadpuppy
Apr 8, 2003

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

At what age did your kid stop having any middle of the night feedings? E is coming up on 10 months and like clockwork wakes up at 2:30am to eat. How do I tell he is ready to drop that feeding?

I counted the calories my daughter was getting during the day, and when that added up to her daily needs, we stopped the night feedings. And no, since that sounds weird, I wasn't feeding her based on calories, I just used the calorie count as a guideline to make sure she'd eaten enough during the day.

Toadpuppy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 2, 2012

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Guh. As if getting her to sleep by herself were hard enough. My (almost) 12 week old daughter appears to be teething. Anyone have any tips for really young babies who are teething? She kind of chews but is actually pretty terrible at it.

We can see where the tooth is coming up, so she's definitely teething.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The biggest problem we had with teething at that age was all the drool. We kept a stack of plastic backed bibs around and changed them regularly to keep her comfortable.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Toadpuppy posted:

I counted the calories my daughter was getting during the day, and when that added up to her daily needs, we stopped the night feedings. And no, since that sounds weird, I wasn't feeding her based on calories, I just used the calorie count as a guideline to make sure she'd eaten enough during the day.

That sounds like a good method and I would try it, but since I am breastfeeding, I don't really know how many calories he is taking in during the day.

I have been thinking about just slowly moving back the 2:30 am feeding by 15 minute increments, but don't know if I can listen to him cry for 15 minutes to be fed. Argh, babies!

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
My kids woke up for a nighttime snack for awhile after they were weaned.

Here's the page on Kellymom about nightweaning: http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/weaning-night/

I wouldn't leave a 10 month old to cry for food.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Konomex posted:

Guh. As if getting her to sleep by herself were hard enough. My (almost) 12 week old daughter appears to be teething. Anyone have any tips for really young babies who are teething? She kind of chews but is actually pretty terrible at it.

We can see where the tooth is coming up, so she's definitely teething.

My son didn't take at all to teethers, so I just tossed (new) washcloths that wouldn't fray into the freezer for a while, and let him gnaw on those. It generally did the trick.

Toadpuppy
Apr 8, 2003

That sounds like a good method and I would try it, but since I am breastfeeding, I don't really know how many calories he is taking in during the day.

I have been thinking about just slowly moving back the 2:30 am feeding by 15 minute increments, but don't know if I can listen to him cry for 15 minutes to be fed. Argh, babies!

When it was time to stop night feedings, we'd just go check on her when she woke up at night but didn't feed her, and she'd usually go right back to sleep. Maybe we were just lucky, though. If she didn't go back to sleep we were prepared to feed her, but oddly enough that never happened.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

My kids woke up for a nighttime snack for awhile after they were weaned.

Here's the page on Kellymom about nightweaning: http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/weaning-night/

I wouldn't leave a 10 month old to cry for food.

Agreed. I am really just looking for assurance (and advice, so) that I won't be waking up at 2:30 every morning for the next year or so. This will end at some point, right?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

If it's only once a night and it's not making you too tired I'd personally just deal with it for a bit longer. If it's making you tired and exhausted, you could try nightweaning. I nightweaned my son when he was around 11 months old. At that point he had gone from once a night to demanding constant boob, nursing extremely frequently but very briefly every time. It was driving us nuts. So we moved him from our bed to a crib in his room. My husband was the one to deal with it all, which can be a good idea because they don't associate daddy with milk the way they do with mom.

When our son would wake up, husband would sit in a chair by his crib and comfort him. He offered him water, patted his back and talked softly to him, but no getting up of the crib. It took a week for things to significantly improve. Instead of nibbling all night he'd nurse properly in the mornings. We'd make sure he ate a big meal in the evening before bed, which also helped. Often it would be oatmeal which is very filling. He would still wake up occasionally because he was thirsty or had lost his pacifier, but he'd go back to sleep pretty quickly. My son is generally a good sleeper though, so it might very well not be this easy for everyone. If you do try it, keep at it for a few nights at least before giving up, it takes a little time to see results.

Good luck whatever you choose to do!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Toadpuppy posted:

When it was time to stop night feedings, we'd just go check on her when she woke up at night but didn't feed her, and she'd usually go right back to sleep. Maybe we were just lucky, though. If she didn't go back to sleep we were prepared to feed her, but oddly enough that never happened.

I do this. Kosta goes back and forth on feeding at night or not depending on sleep regression and teething and whatnot. When I know he's not going through a rough time, I just pick him up, cuddle, put him down, turn on the sleep sheep/seahorse, and tuck his bunny into his arms. He usually gives an angry squawk and then is silent by the time the door's closed. If he's hungry, he'll keep fussing for me and not be able to settle.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Chris gets a drink of water from a sippy cup we keep on the cribside table. One night he managed to grab it himself and we found him curled up with it next to his face like it was a bottle. :3:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Hey guys, my friend has a 3 month old and she's having trouble getting her to sleep. She hasn't been trying any particular method and she didn't have luck with a schedule (I don't know how hard they tried.). The baby has had nasty nasty colic and is only now becoming less like a crying machine and more like a baby, from what I understand. She (baby) never naps for more than 30 minutes but occasionally sleeps through the night and she slept 11 hours last night. Can someone suggest some resources for her to look at different methods? I don't know anything about what to look for except that if I mention CIO in this thread there'll be problems ;)

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Well, I've only read a few books, but there really only seem to be a few methods.

There's the No-Cry Sleep Solution, which basically focuses on building a solid bedtime routine with lots of comfort objects that help the baby to be secure in the crib and fall asleep with no crying.

There's something my aunt called the Applebaum Method (might have a different name) where you do your routine, put them down to sleep, and if they cry you go in to soothe them at increasing intervals - 1 min, 5 mins, 10 mins, etc.

And there's the Ferber method, which is CIO and a huge can of worms we won't go into.

I ultimately ended up using the second method after No Cry really didn't work for me, and it worked well with Chris. After a while you begin to learn the difference between a complaining cry and a genuinely upset cry (where you should probably do more than just soothe). It all depends on how comfortable your friend is with crying - used to drive me batty but I'm pretty numb to it now.

I would probably recommend starting with the No Cry, because it's really good at getting a solid bedtime routine going, and if that doesn't work moving on to #2 when the baby is a bit older. Three months is really the bare minimum they recommend starting this stuff.

As for the rest of the day, be really really consistent is all I can say. Chris always started his day in his activity gym, then after nap #1 we'd move to the living room and have some one-on-one time, then lunch, a nap in his bouncy chair, perfectly scheduled naps but it was pretty close.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
12 weeks old is really young to expect a sleep routine to work. She can work on a consistent sleep routine (bath, boob, stories, bed in whatever order works), but expecting it to work all the time and especially expecting them to sleep all night at such a young age is a recipe for making yourself crazy.

Here's some info on normal sleep in infants:

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleepstudies/

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleep/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Just had the 12 month wellness visit and the little guy hasn't gained any weight since 9 months. He's been sick the few weeks and doesn't seem to want to eat anything other than bananas, cheerios and formula, but I'd like to try and get him eating good stuff again. Any good ideas for nutritious foods to give him that a somewhat picky baby might eat?