Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Flips are also an easy system and you can use the covers with prefolds if you so desire. (so you could buy a few inserts and a few prefolds)

Regarding reuseable wipes I know most people just cut up receiving blankets or use cheap baby wash clothes. There are tons of tutorials online on how to make a good solution for them. If you decide to go that route I'd highly suggest a wipe warmer to go along with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I think the Diaper Genie is hit or miss. We have the deluxe II edition and have had no issues with stink. We used it extensively the first 2 years with our daughter and are now using it with our son. My daughter also has atomic shits (whose kid has good smelling poo poo anyway), but I just lysol the hell out of the thing each time I empty it.

You can actually use it with cloth diapers, too, but I try not to because I'm gross and I'd totally forget about it having diapers in it.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Dear Prudence posted:

Here's what will happen: You'll show them the scientific articles and they will say "Harumph! That doesn't prove anything. I have experience. Stop picking up your baby!"

This is exactly the response I get when I talk about carseats and whatever. "well we didn't use them back in my day and we seemed to survive ok!!" when I'm really adamant about rear facing until at least 2. Most people could give two shits about "studies" if you're questioning anything they did with their parenting 10-20years ago or parenting a different way from them.

Basically here's the important thing to remember: everyone is a better parent than you are when it comes to your own child.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Slo-Tek posted:

Here is my sprouts. The older they get, the more clear it becomes that kid big is a clone of me with no genetic input from my wife, and kid little is all wife with no discernable me in there.

Hah. Our daughter is a good mesh of the two of us but our son is a clone of my husband.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

vanessa posted:

David had the same thing, at around the same age. We noticed he favored one side for laying down and looking around. We were referred to a physical therapist who diagnosed him with torticollis. We were given a home program to do with him, different exercises to make sure he developed both sides equally.

Our PT explained that we could do a helmet but that at such a young age, the skull is still flexible enough that the exercises are enough to get things back on track. David was actually discharged from therapy this week, and his head rounded out beautifully just from working with him.

Is there a reason you decided to go straight to the helmet? If your insurance covers it, a PT evaluation might be worth the time.

What kind of exercises does it entail? Moving their head when they're sleeping/napping?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lyz posted:

I'd assume as long as they're able to sit up unaided for a while, since there's no shoulder straps, only a lap belt.

Mine has a 5 point harness system.

Our 4 and a half month old does fine in an umbrella stroller right now. Again, ours has a 5 point harness system. We have a Britax Blink (which has been discontinued), but I know of tons of other ones that have the 5 point harness in them. :)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Try yet another brand. Try a brand with elastic in the back.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Eia posted:

Hello, latest incarnation of this thread.

Long time no see. In the vast and lengthy interim, my baby got big:

FOUR. She's FOUR now. And dances while rock climbing. It beggars belief.

Holy cow. Where did all of that hair come from?

I swear my baby was just born the other day:

My other baby is teaching the newbie a thing or two about his toys

Basically everyone enjoy every moment with your kids cause god drat do they grow up fast.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Connor had a horrible cold over Christmas, high fever and very listless. It seems to have cleared up in that his energy levels are back up and the fever has gone but he will not stop crying. He has cried pretty much constantly for the last four days and nothing I do will make him stop. He doesn't seem to be in pain, he doesn't want to go for a nap, he doesn't want to eat, he doesn't want a drink, he doesn't want cuddles, he doesn't want books, all he wants is to scream and scream and scream. I have taken him to the doctors who said he was fine, just getting over the bug, but I don't know how much longer I can cope with this without jumping out the window and running away. It's a bit like how he cries when I tell him not to do something horrible or someone takes something off him - pure temper.

He's also still not eating very well but literally the only thing he wants to eat at the moment is the filling of custard creams. He's drinking okay and plenty of wet nappies.

Has anyone else had this kind of reaction after an illness? He's nearly two years old.

Could he have an ear infection? Whenever my daughter is sick, afterwards she almost always has an ear infection. This also means her throat bothers her. Some kids (mine especially, argh) are pretty tollerant to pain and hard to read. I would take him to the ped again just to be sure. Sometimes ear infections can creep up on them a day or two after the initial sickness especially if there was any drainage.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 7, 2013

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

We kept our DVD/CDs closed in cabinets. We have a built in cabinet in our living room, though.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

AlistairCookie posted:

Whooping cough... Man, that sucks Chandrika. My sympathies! I remember some years ago I had walking pneumonia and I was profoundly sick for a solid 8 weeks. Nebulizer treatments, codeine cough syrup, and 20 days of heavy duty antibiotics later and I was finally better. It was terrible. Hope you get on the mend soon!

Question to all: So, where do babies come from? Tim asked me specifically how the baby gets in the mommy's tummy, and was persistent about it. I coped out a bit and said that sometimes a doctor helps the baby get there when a mommy and daddy decide they really want a baby, which is actually true in his case, but I want a better answer for when this comes up again. I don't think we're quite ready for "the penis goes in the vagina" yet, but I don't want to feed him some bullshit like the stork. (Or maybe, I'm not quite ready for penises in vaginas talk to my 4 year old. :ohdear: )

Anecdote: This morning, Liam "scolded" Tim. Tim was being rude over breakfast and Liam bursts out with "Trouble! Angry! No! Now!" Then turns to me and says, so nicely, "I eat it, cereal!" I couldn't help but burst out in fits of laughter. He also tells himself no and says "No, no, bad hand!" and "Naughty chair!". Which is extra funny since he's only even seen "naughty chair" once, in passing, on Supernanny while I was flipping through channels.

When I found out I was pregnant with Ben, I picked up the book "It's Not the Stork" for my daughter. It's illustrated and talks about every aspect of families - including child birth. It also talks about boy's bodies and girl's bodies and those differences. I figured we'd need that information, too, since she was getting a baby brother. It's graphic (if you think cartoon penises and vaginas are graphic), sure, but I'd rather be truthful and explain things in proper terms than tip toe around the subject. She seemed to accept the information, got a general gist of things and just went on about doing her own thing.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Valdara posted:

A friend of mine just had a baby (5 days old) and has asked for more swaddling blankets. Other than buying flannel and hemming it myself, what are the favorite swaddlers in here? She said at least 32" was needed.

I really loved the Halo Sleepsacks as mentioned above (with the wrap piece), the Swaddle Pod by Summer Infant and the woombie as my son will not stay swaddled in a blanket. However, I do love the A&A blankets as actual blankets.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

skeetied posted:

Thanks, everyone. The worst part is that five of them have been since Christmas. His surgery is on Wednesday.

For people with kids with tubes, how do you handle bath and pool time? My kid loves water.

If he has to be put under the only thing I'd be wary of is this study: http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/20/anesthesia-in-young-kids-may-carry-developmental-risks-embargo-monday-820-1201am/

It's the main reason I would not let the ENT put my son under for a tongue snip at 6 weeks old and went to another that would do it in office. However, it's your choice as a parent and if you feel the benefits outweigh the risks (and your pediatrician does) then go for it. You might see how he feels about it, though. I know my pediatrician showed some concern in the study and was relieved we opted out of putting Ben under. I also realize a simple tongue snip is much easier than tubes and it's not necessary at all to put a child under for it.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My MIL keeps on harping on us to fly to AU. Yea sure, we'll just hop on that 11 hour flight with a baby and a toddler. Seems like it'll be a ton of fun. People don't seem to consider the fact that when you fly and go somewhere for a week (at least) you need to bring other things. Like potentially carseats and a stroller. Maybe even a cot (although I'm sure it'd be more prudent to just purchase something cheap wherever you're going or find one to borrow).

I say if you're going to travel, do it when the child can really remember it. That way they're able to actually enjoy it - as are you. If you're just wanting to go somewhere for yourself, then go when the kid is younger (say, before 9 months or so) as they sleep a lot more.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Honestly? There is no easy way. People don't like to be told things about parenting that could make them come across as a bad parent. This is definitely one of those things. I would report him anonymously. Anyone could have seen this guy doing this.

The only other thing I'd say to do is maybe nonchalantly mention it to his wife. That will depend entirely on your relationship with her, though.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

skipdogg posted:

If the car seat isn't user friendly maybe they can look into getting an easier to use car seat?
My 3 year old sits in a Britax Frontier 85 and it's really easy to get her in and out of. If the kid is big enough, maybe have them look at something like that. An airbag deployment will kill a 2 year old kid. I'm zero tolerance when it comes to the use of car seats, I have a park in my neighborhood, never even leave the housing development, but my kids get buckled in properly every. single. time.

I'm thinking the guy means more it's a struggle to get the kid in. My kid went through a phase where she would stiffen up and scream and flail if you tried to put her into a carseat. I don't know how, but she'd manage to hulk the gently caress out on me and it was a serious struggle. So glad that phase is over ;( However, I'd never, ever think twice about NOT putting her in her carseat.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Just wanna point out that cosleeping doesn't always mean in the same bed, but can mean the same room. We cosleep, but my son's cosleeper is next to the bed much like side-carring a crib.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

raaaan posted:

Before anyone suggests that she might not be getting enough food during the day, she will generally go through two 8oz bottles and one or two 6oz bottles, as well as half a cup of fruit flavored cereal and about as much fruit or veggie purée. She's a big kid at 6.5 months; 22lbs, 28 inches long with a long torso, so we have her wearing mostly 12-18 month clothes and she's wearing size five diapers currently, but as soon as the box we have is gone we're moving up to size six.

We're having this same issue, too. Even down to the large baby (21lbs, 29" at 7 months). Except along with the bottle feedings during the night he also cannot sleep unless he is swaddled. As soon as he wakes up he screams bloody murder for food - it's never gradual. It's been worse recently but I suspect it's due more to a growth spurt and not something that'll keep on occurring. My son's also getting more mobile and big milestones also contribute to things like this. It may be something that you'll just have to wait out.

What time does she go to bed? Also, how is your kid in size 5 diapers? My 3.5 year old (who won't potty train, god dammit) is in size 6 diapers and weighs 40lbs and is around 40" tall. My son is in size 3 diapers comfortably O_o Does Canada have different diaper sizes? The largest size down here is size 6. :O

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 27, 2013

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Ikea has the best family restrooms. Too bad they're almost always occupied. All 2 of them :mad:. But yea, I don't see them very often around here.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Brennanite posted:

I just want to echo the awesomeness of spray-on sunscreen, especially for babies. My son too is transparent and if it's more than fifteen minutes in the sun, he gets sprayed.

I used to love the spray on stuff because of how easy it was but 1) you run out of it fast (duh, there's a LOT less) so you're using 2-3x more than you'd use in a lotion form and 2) you don't know how extensive the coverage is. I found this out personally the hard way and ended up with really awful sunburn last year during my pregnancy.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

GoreJess posted:

Any suggestions on baby sunglasses that will actually stay on their heads? If Archer takes after me, he'll need super sun protection.

Also, holy crap, he's graduated to the parenting thread.

We've had good luck with Baby Banz. You can find them on babysteals.com a lot.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Mnemosyne posted:

On a side note, babysteals makes me irritated; it seems like a ton of the stuff is only for girls. Where's all the cool baby boy stuff?

I got the Zutano tights on there the other day for my son. There are a lot of gender neutral and "boy" things.

Look at how cool those tights are. :colbert: Tights are the best.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

iwik posted:

Those tights are pretty neat. I saw the size is 0-12 months, are they super stretchy?

Yup. I got 1 in 0-12 and 1 in 12-24 as he's in 12 month clothes now. They fit really well (perfect). I'd say they are true to size and they're soft and very easy to put on and take off. Tights are awesome for winter if you don't want to constantly put your kid into footed PJs but want an extra layer. They're also nice for cloth diapering.

Re: independent play - I let my son play on his own if I need to do things like use the bathroom, cook, or do chores around the house. He's 7.5 months old. Most of the time that means he'll either be sitting up with a toy and a mirror, or he'll be rolling/pushing himself along the floor exploring things like toys that are within reach.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 15, 2013

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Poison Cake posted:

I bet ninety percent of his interest in your food is just plain old curiosity with a touch of orneriness. What's that? Why don't I have it? It looks fun. Can I squish it? Can I throw it? So yeah, I'd nth everyone saying give him some bits to play around with and playing is probably most of what he'll do.

My son does this and it's to the point where if we don't at least give him a taste of what we're having he screams until he gets SOMETHING in his mouth consistently.

I usually just try to order something (assuming I haven't brought anything with us) he can nom on like apple slices, soft carrots, potatoes, etc. He's definitely not disinterested in getting his liquids still.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Mnemosyne posted:

Any recommendations for inexpensive (but sturdy) cribs other than Ikea? The crib we're using is old and has been recalled, but is old enough that I can no longer get the parts that will make it safe. The baby is 9 months old, so I don't want to drop a ton of money on a crib that we're already 1/3rd of the way through the useful period on.

We use a Graco 4-in-1 convertible we got for $130 at Target (but here's the Amazon link) and it's on our second kid. It's very sturdy and easy to put together. It can last through the big kid stage as one side becomes the headboard for a twin sized bed. The middle stage makes it a day bed. We purchased a toddler bed once we were close to my due date with #2 and wanted our daughter out of it sooner rather than later so it'd be less of an adjustment for her.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Acrolos posted:

I understand that, and that's what all of the experts say. My issue is that she refuses anything BUT being held. 24 hours a day, she demands it, and if she isn't being held, she's crying, whining, and fussy. As much as I'd like to hold my baby for 24 straight hours, it's just not feasible. My wife and I are at a loss and operating on about three full days of no sleep as a result of it.

I'm not really worried about spoiling her as much as I am concerned about her refusal to sleep on anything that isn't one of us.

have you tried a swaddle? My son will not sleep or nap unless his arms are restrained in a swaddle since he likes to grab at his face and wake himself up. It also helps him feel secure. I always hold him in the swaddle prior to laying him down for cuddles, too.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Acrolos posted:

Thanks for the last two responses. I am going to look into all of that! We also bought a "woombie" which has good reviews on amazon. I guess it's worth a shot.

we have the woombie and leave the legs out if he gets kicky. It works well.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Figured I'd mention this here: Target has a deal where you can get a Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 carseat for $100. http://www.babycheapskate.com/2013/04/10/graco-nautilus-for-less-than-100/ is the info. Just have to print off an in-store coupon (only good in-store). Even without the coupon the seat is $125 on sale right now. It's a great seat. It does NOT rear face so it's more ideal for 2.5-3yrs + but it can convert into a stand-alone booster which is good for much older kids. SO you'll get a lot of life out of it. I picked one up for $106 with tax. They retail for $160.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Carters-Recalls-Infant-Clothing-with-Zippers/

Recall of certain Carter's onesies with zippers.

quote:

Recall Details

Units

About 218,000
Description

This recall involves eight styles of one-piece, footed cotton clothing for infants made by Carter’s. They have a zipper from the foot to the neck and were sold in sizes newborn, 3, 6 and 9 months. Baby B’gosh®, Child of Mine® made by Carter’s or Just One You® made by Carter’s is printed on the fabric inside the neck area. The style number is printed on a side seam label.

Brand Style Number Description
Baby B’gosh 414-208 Yellow with white quarter moons and gray and white stars print.

Child of Mine 715-839 Baseball-style, white with blue stripes, yellow accents and “Little Brother” printed on the chest.

Just One You 520-242 White background with navy stripes and green neck binding. Sold as a 2-pack with:

597B537 Light blue with a nautical and green crabs print and “Captain Cutie” on the left chest.

520-243 White with a pink cupcake print. Sold as 2-pack with:

597B538 Pink with small polka dots and a bunny ballerina on the left chest.

520-244 White with green stripes and an elephant and duck on the left chest. Sold as 2-pack with:

597B539 White with a gray elephant, gray bear, green frog and yellow duck print.

Incidents/Injuries

None reported
Remedy

Consumers should immediately take the recalled clothing away from infants and return it to Carter’s for a full refund.
Sold at

OshKosh B’gosh, Walmart and Target nationwide from December 2012 through January 2013 for between $7 and $20. Baby B’gosh sleepwear was also sold online at https://www.oshkoshbgosh.com.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Chickalicious posted:

My kid is 2.5 and has never gotten attached to any particular toy or blanket. Mostly because he uses me or my husband as comfort objects when he falls asleep, I think. We're there to cuddle, so that seems to be enough.

Ditto on this for both kids. Except we don't cosleep in the same bed, just the same room. My daughter is 3.5 and within the last year (when we moved her to her own room) became attached to her "white blankie".

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

VorpalBunny posted:

Any advice on a 2-year old who hits when he gets frustrated? It mainly happens when he's playing with other kids and they have or try to play with a toy he covets. He'll do it to friends, strangers, anyone who gets between him and his precious.

I remind him of the rules before he plays with anyone, I keep an eagle eye on him but don't hover too close so he learns to play nice with others without me having to be over his shoulder, and I grab him and remove him from the situation right away, even if that means going home. He's just starting to put together sentences and stuff, so he's fuzzy on the concept of saying "I'm sorry" when he hurts someone. But we're working on it.

His grandmother (my mom) and I both have hot tempers and it appears he has inherited this wonderful trait as well. He's an awesome kid otherwise, but that rage takes over and he strikes out and I can't seem to do anything about it. And he has a new baby sister in the house (she's almost 4-months old) but he's been doing this since before she was born.

redirect as much as possible. Tell him it's not ok to hit people/animals/etc but he can hit that pillow/couch instead.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Alterian posted:

I have a month until we're going to start getting Jasper to sleep in his crib instead of the co-sleeper next to our bed. :cry:

We put him in his crib occasionally now if we need to set him somewhere for a few minutes and he's taken a couple of naps in it. The big issue is he's really good at getting a leg/arm stuck through the slats. I've been reading conflicting things about bumpers. Some say they're ok, some say they aren't ok, some say the breathable ones are ok, but not to use them when they can sit on their own. He's already half sitting on his own now and I imagine he'll be a lot better at it in a month from now. I'm already planning to lower the crib when he's in it for good, but I'm not sure what to do about the bumper.

We use the Breathable Baby mesh bumpers and have since Ben was about 7 months old. They're nice because they can't be climbed on, they're mesh so they can't suffocate by shoving their face in them, they can't get their arms/legs wedged between the rails (BOTH of my kids did this and screamed bloody murder because they couldn't figure out how to get their appendage back in), and when they spit a pacifier out, it doesn't land on the floor and bounce god knows where.

In other news, Ben's 9 months old today, his first tooth broke through a few days ago and he started crawling and pulling himself up. It's been a busy couple of days for milestones here.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

frenchnewwave posted:

I'm a little confused by my 5 month old. When she was about 3.5 months old, she would roll from front to back during tummy time. A few weeks later she tried rolling from back to front but wouldn't quite make it. Then she stopped rolling altogether and hasn't for about a month. Was the initial rolling just a fluke? I thought by now she'd be rolling all over the place.

She may just not want to. My daughter tried rolling a few times and never really did do it "properly". She hit other milestones just fine though and even walked a little early.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I'll be honest I never used those apps past 2 months.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

RGBRIOT posted:

Could you elaborate a bit?

You kinda just forget to keep on documenting things. Forget to set the nap timer, etc. I guess you eventually get into the right pattern that works for you so it's not necessary anymore.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Konomex posted:

Question: How long from standing on their own to walking was it for other peoples kids. My daughter and mom went to visit relatives for a few days and while we were joking about her deciding to walk while she was away she has actually finally got her balance, stands on her own just fine, and just today tried a few steps before falling down. Will she be walking when she gets back or is it likely I won't miss her first proper walk?

My daughter was pulling up around 9 1/2, 10 months and was walking before a year. It'll vary.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lullabee posted:

Besides a frozen/cold wash cloth what can I do for teething in a 3 month old? My sweet, amazing child has turned evil over night. I know orajel isn't suggested so no worries there, but curious what everyone suggests.

Tylenol/motrin. Orajel makes a natural oral gel that is now safe to use, as well. It doesn't seem to really help my son, though.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Alterian posted:

I know some parents here do infant lead weaning and I was wondering if there is any difference between formula fed babies and breast fed babies. All the on line guides I've read assume you're breastfeeding.

Jasper is now a little more than 6 months so we're working on introducing foods. He absolutely does not like to be fed with a spoon. The only exception is baby oatmeal watered down with formula, but not a baby spoon, an adult sized spoon, so he can blow bubbles in it and laugh while he eats it.

He does seem to enjoy picking up avocado and apple slices and scraping them along his two bottom teeth. I figure he's enjoying feeding himself and the first stages of infant led weaning I might as well go with that method.

There's no difference. By 6 months we were formula feeding exclusively and it worked fine for us. Soft (boiled) carrots, baked sweet potato fries, things like that are a huge hit with him.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My son HATES diaper changes. We usually give him a comb/baby brush to teeth on and that will calm him. Sometimes.

Also joining the large baby club with a 23lb 31" 10 month old. High five.

vv sounds like us :)

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lullabee posted:

Alright, Cs 4 months next Saturday (oh god how'd he get so big so fast?! :( ). He's obviously now all about grabbing things and having toys... But what kind of toys should I get him? There barely are anything at stores for under 6 months. Even the educational stores don't have much for kiddos under 6 months. Or would 6+ month toys be okay? Total loss at this kind of stuff.

Also, we have an exosaucer but when should we get a jumper type thing? Not the ones that hang on doors, of course, but the stand alone ones.

Rattles are good. Most stores have baby toys 3+ months in the area near baby food, diapers, wipes, etc.