Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Thanks to Dear Prudence for writing this OP for me.

Welcome to the new and improved Parenting Megathread. This thread is for all your parenting questions, sharing, gloating, and whining for kids 3 months and beyond.

If you are wanting to get pregnant, please head over to the Getting Knocked Up thread.

If you're pregnant or just gave birth to a newborn, please head on over to the Pregnancy Megathread.

Because it's always good to set limits so your child can grow up in a safe and structured life, here are a few rules.
    1. Don't be an rear end in a top hat. Sanctimommies are not allowed. People have different parenting styles and they tend to think their style is the best style and if someone isn't doing it that way, they are an inhuman abusive monster who shouldn't be allowed to have children. That kind of attitude and talk will not fly in this household, mister! [modnote: This means chill the gently caress out. Even if you think that e.g. Cry It Out is literally child abuse, try to present your argument with SOURCES, not sniping or hysterical pronouncements. If you find you can't do that, take yourself out of the thread for a while. Bad behavior will not be tolerated.]

2. Try not to use this as a Facebook thread or a LiveJournal. While we are all excited to share the adorable and oh so clever thing our little snoogums did just the other day, resist the temptation to use this thread for those purposes. Stories about your young ones and anecdotes are fine, as long as they're in the context of what's being discussed. Violation of this rule will get you put into a time out. Just wait until your father gets home!

3. This is not a photo-dump. If you're going to post a few pictures of your children, that's fine, but try to contribute as well. Sharing is caring, little one.

Resources: Great links to scour for help with everyday questions about raising your monster.

Baby Center - The go to website for great information for all things baby, unbiased and balanced.
Kelly Mom - Excellent resource for information on breastfeeding and general baby concerns.
Kid's Health - General site for parents, kids, or teens that has lots of articles, posts, and more about raising healthy kids.
American Academy of Pediatrics - Full of official studies, resources, news articles, etc.
All For the Boys - Craft ideas and Do-it-yourself projects for rainy days and beyond. Note - not just for boys!
Declutter, Reorganize, Repurpose - Informed blog created by a father who shares his thoughts, tips, and tricks and raising healthy, happy children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

imslandar posted:

Mason is on oxygen, and has a monitor that displays Heartrate, Breathes per minute, and Oxygen Saturation. We have travel tanks to take him places, but just wandering around the house is pretty impossible.

To the mod: sorry about the pic size, I'll figure that out before I post any more pics.

It's cool. When you upload to Imgur you can just choose "Large thumbnail" and use the link that says "Linked BBCode." That is the best way. Or else just use [timg][/timg] rather than [img][/img] (but that still loads the huge picture so it affects page loading). Best of luck with your little guy.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Ariza posted:

Please don't get crazy about this again. It's what got the thread shut down last time.

Yes.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Hey guys, my friend has a 3 month old and she's having trouble getting her to sleep. She hasn't been trying any particular method and she didn't have luck with a schedule (I don't know how hard they tried.). The baby has had nasty nasty colic and is only now becoming less like a crying machine and more like a baby, from what I understand. She (baby) never naps for more than 30 minutes but occasionally sleeps through the night and she slept 11 hours last night. Can someone suggest some resources for her to look at different methods? I don't know anything about what to look for except that if I mention CIO in this thread there'll be problems ;)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Chickalicious posted:

12 weeks old is really young to expect a sleep routine to work. She can work on a consistent sleep routine (bath, boob, stories, bed in whatever order works), but expecting it to work all the time and especially expecting them to sleep all night at such a young age is a recipe for making yourself crazy.

Here's some info on normal sleep in infants:

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleepstudies/

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleep/

Thanks for those, and Lyz too. I don't think she's doing any kind of routine at all, really, so I thought it might be a good thing for her to read up on. She said she's tried a schedule but I don't think she's done the sort of sleep routines I see you guys talk about in here, and from what I gather, consistency is pretty important for babies (at least once they're a bit older, but still, better to start now that she's sleeping at all).

My other friends just had their baby last night and I am already smitten :3: I can't wait to see her (of course we are not going to descend upon them immediately- we're thinking December). I haven't gotten to meet the aforementioned three month old either but she lives too far away. Anyway, :3::3::3:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
You want this thread for babies up to three months.

Yes your baby is way too young for leave the baby alone to learn to sleep etc. etc. (and many people frown very much on that approach anyway. Look at the posts right after this one to get some ideas to read up on for later.

Please stop calling your wife "wifey" and "the wife" it makes you sound like a 1940's person and not in a cool retro way.

(e: Everyone else, please don't blow up at the dude. I've taken care of it, move along move along :cop:)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I think maybe your second link is broken, it opens up the reply box for me.

Is this the post you meant?

Whoops, yep.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Hell, I would love you forever if you got me a Power Wheels.

This question reminded me so I made an official gift idea thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518416

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Schweig und tanze posted:

1. Talk to your wife about it, not the Internet.
2. Why do you think that having cake once, on her birthday, is going to make your daughter crave sugar ravenously to the exclusion of all other foods? If she otherwise doesn't get sugary foods, wouldn't relenting and not being a dick about your wife following family tradition on her birthday BE a compromise? Or does compromise mean "I get my way and my wife acts happy about it"?

Chill, folks. That said, cake dat babby up.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Shnakepup posted:

One thing that we've always been paranoid about is that maybe he has ADHD. What's frustrating is that we're never quite sure if a)it's a genuine problem or b) we're overreacting and blaming normal childhood behavior on a disease that he doesn't really have. Complicating the matter was the fact that we only just recently discovered he needed glasses. After getting them, he started doing much better in school, so we figured "oh, that must've been it"...but lately these problems have been surfacing again, in school and at home.

It isn't a made up problem thing. ADHD kids' brains work differently from those of neurotypical kids; it's visible through brain scanning. He might just be a normal kid who likes soap a lot, or he could have ADHD and get bored brushing his teeth (I do. Yes, really. I listen to podcasts.). It won't hurt anything to get him evaluated. Even if he does come up with a positive diagnosis, he doesn't have to go on meds or anything- that's a whole second conversation to have with his doctors (although meds can be really helpful and you shouldn't discount them if it comes to that). If he does have ADHD, just getting educated on how to work with how his brain works would be a huge help both at home and at school. Again, it can't hurt and it might help.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Alterian posted:

Sort of in the same vein. Whats the best way to super duper clean a carpet of cat/dog pee? The animals no longer have access and eventually half of it is going to be a play area. I've done the enzymes and a carpet shampooer and I can still see them using a black light. Would a professional steam clean do any good? I really don't want to have to replace it if I can help. Its a larger room and we just replaced it in 2008. Its a downstairs carpet too so under the padding is cement. I'd love to put in laminate floors, but it would be a huge pain/expensive.

Its not like "oh god this room smells like pee!" but I know its there and even if you don't smell it, it bothers me that he'd be on the floor around it.

You need to clean the pad and the cement. There's a big thing on this in the cat FAQ in PI, which, incidentally, is where cat-chat should happen.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Slo-Tek posted:

You really can't give him poo poo about how he does with his own kid.
But you can definitely offer as aggressively as you need to to make sure that your kid has a car seat installed and strapped in to your satisfaction, and every other rule you prefer. My kids eat what Im eating, watch a little TV, have only nominally parent-over-the-shoulder internet time, are allowed out of my sight for minutes at a time in public, and sometimes the 8 year old can sit in the front seat with a booster. All manner of other slack-rear end parenting somebody else might not approve of. If your kid is hanging out with us and has different rules, explain them, and we'll do what we can to comply. Best if you aren't huffy and snotty and I can't believe you people about it though, generally. Also probably don't call 911.

Even as a non-parent, what that guy is doing is horrifyingly different. Letting a little tiny kid ride in the front seat, or on a lap, no carseat no nothing, is thousands of times worse than letting your kids go online without watching. Good god no. I strap my cats' carriers in when I put them in the back seats; I'd never do what he's doing with a child, mine or someone else's or even my greatest enemy's child, and it's upsetting to hear about. You sound like a good non-helicopter parent who takes reasonable safety precautions and is trying to raise kids who are self sufficient and eat grownup food. That sounds good. This? This not good.

The real reason I am popping in here though is to remind people to keep civil with one another. Remember, you're advising VorpalBunny on what to do, not speaking to the guy himself or to someone criticizing you. I do agree that talking to the wife is the most reasonable first step, even if VorpalBunny doesn't know her otherwise. poo poo's not okay. If she brushes it off, then yeah I'd let CPS know or the cops or something.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I've seen little boys go into women's rooms with their moms or sisters or whatever all the time. I assume it's the same with men's rooms, if less common because patri:argh:y. A lot of places now have a 1-holer marked 'family restroom' or something, too. It's no big deal. Only real lunatics don't understand that little kids need bathroom assistance.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

rectal cushion posted:

She might be ready to quit napping. How old is she? Whenever my son has been resisting a nap for an extended period of time, we're tried dropping that nap. He went from two to one naps at a year. At 2 years he stopped napping at home, but he still naps at daycare. He sleeps well and long at night though.

I read this as "two to one naps a year" instead of at a year and I thought do you really even count them at that level of infrequency?

Mr Darcy posted:

We're supposed to be going to visit my 90 year old Grandparents in a few days. Alex, who is now 8 months old, has managed to pick up a chesty cough. There's no signs of other symptoms - no wheezing for example, so we aren't worried about it being anything bad for him. I was wondering if taking him near my Nan, who is prone to catching chest infections and coughs every winter, would be a good idea.

thoughts?

I'm not a doctor, parent, or grandparent, but yeah I would at LEAST call your doctor and your Nan and see what they think.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

That baby is unsettling and not cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

sweeperbravo posted:

The one on the scale isn't as bad as the one standing to show height, but yeah. The feet and the arms are a bit fetusy.

See I think the one on the scale is worse.

I'm not a parent but I love me some graphs so I agree, comparing being able to compare your kid's growth to the guidelines (or appropriate guidelines for their circumstances) would be neat. I also hesitate to suggest this because it is stupid, but I bet some parents would enjoy being able to compare their kid's growth with their friends' kids'. :rolleyes:

When my friend was pregnant they had a lot of fun with a weekly email that would tell them what fruit or vegetable their baby was approximately equal to in mass every week. I think that may be a bit beyond what you're going for, though.

Folks, I gave the app people permission to use this thread as a source, but if you find it distracting at any point let me or them know and they can set up an app-specific thread or discussion space someplace else instead.