Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Half of these are backhoe loaders and the other half are excavators. C'mon people, we don't need to dumb things down for our kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Madra De Dhia posted:

We started creche on monday. My husband dropped him off his first day and he was *fine*. Had a great time. I picked him up and he was happy. Tuesday, *I* dropped him off. When the teacher met us at the door, he clung to my legs and cried and cried :( I felt like a huge rear end in a top hat leaving, and when I picked him up he seemed happy until he saw me, and then he just broke down crying and clung to me. What the hell? He was so excited to "go to school" in the morning but just had a huge clingy meltdown when I dropped him in! I think we might try just having daddy drop him off and I'll pick him up but agh

Probably won't matter, most kids take a (long) while to adjust to being left by their parents. It could very well be that day 1 was fine because he didn't realize dad was really leaving him or for just how long. We started daycare at 8 months, it was many months before dropoffs were completely tear-free and coming back from a vacation always reset that timer. It was only when he was around 2 and we could be like "All your aunties and friends miss you! They want to play with you!" that he started actually getting excited to be dropped off.

e:

vvv If you read the first story, he's not given a monkey, he kidnaps George from the jungle by luring him over with his hat.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 25, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Axiem posted:

I quite dislike Curious George.

The early books have people smoking pipes/cigars/cigarettes on basically every page, and have a good amount of racism. They're pretty funny.

We just read CG Goes to the Beach, the worst he does is feed some seagulls.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sockmuppet posted:

What a great programme!

Vaguely related, I asked my dentist when I should bring my kid in, expecting the answer to be "when she's got all her baby teeth", but she was all "meh, unless there are specific concerns, you can bring her back when she's 4-5". That just seems so weird to me - I get that they're baby teeth and don't matter as much as adult teeth, but going years without seeing a dentist just seems irresponsible.

In the US, first recommended visit is at 12 months with regular visits thereafter. Tooth decay in baby teeth can have detrimental effects on adult teeth, so you should be at least attempting to brush teeth every day (our kid's idea of brushing is basically chewing on the toothbrush).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

I don't know if there is a separate cloth diapering thread, but there was some talk about cloth diapering in the first few pages so I'm going to ask here.

I'm going to be a dad in a few months and I think I want to jump into the whole cloth diapering thing. There is a lot of options, but right now what I'm considering is the Best Bottoms all in two system. Is there anyone with any experience with them? At this point I'm basically trying to find a reason not to use this system since almost everything I've found online was positive and I feel like the negatives are stuff I can live with. But it never hurt to get additional opinions.

I haven't used that particular system, but quick impressions from looking at it:

1. Go with the snaps, not the velcro. The velcro will wear out before baby outgrows them (at least for the toddler phase), and you'll need to replace the covers.
2. 8 inserts at each size is a little short. We had 24 infant size and 12 toddler size and end up doing laundry every couple days. I'm also not clear on how many covers you're getting, it says 8 but is that 4 small and 4 large? We've found that 4-6 covers for 12 diapers is a good ratio for having both run out at about the same time.
3. For what you're getting, $400 seems expensive.

We ordered everything from here, I think you can get something similar for cheaper than that.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Volmarias posted:

"OK Alexandra, time to brush your teeth. Tell you what, you brush your teeth and I'll brush mine. Then, you brush my teeth and I'll brush yours!"

Gets her to brush her teeth, AND lets me get her teeth actually brushed all while she thinks she's getting the better deal by getting to do the horrible toothbrush to daddy.

This works with hairbrushing as well by the way

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
1.5 is definitely not too young for the playground. It's also a great place to meet other parents in your neighborhood with similar age kids.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My 2-year-old is so well-behaved that sometimes I get embarrassed in the playground. He's obsessed with sharing, taking turns, waiting your turn, etc and pretty much never gets past the minor fuss stage of being upset.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

HatchetDown posted:

I'm not a parent but I've been living with some friends for the past year who are raising their first son who is 2. I've sort of been just observing them as good/bad examples should I have kids in the future. But there were a few things that made me uncomfortable that I wanted some more feedback on so I figured this thread would help. For the purposes of this story the names of my friends are Ron and Jenny.

The first thing is that Ron and Jenny argue about how to discipline their son, in front of their son. Ron is stereotypically tougher on his son, and Jenny is more nurturing. Ron will be quick to challenge the sincerity of his sons crying and loudly tell him he's faking it. Jenny is slow to discipline her son for stepping out of line and then purposefully re-crossing that line. Ron will sometimes mock his son by mimicking his crying and tantrums and also taunt his son with candy. At this point it's clear that their son favors his mother and will sometimes slap his father's knee and yell "bad daddy" at him after being scalded. And though I don't think that's a rare thing to hear from young kids who are getting in trouble I can't help but feel like this toddler already resents his father.

Apologies if this has already been addressed to death but as someone who lives in this environment and will be for at least another year I wouldn't mind some input.

Ron reminds me of this Will Ferrell skit: http://www.hulu.com/watch/284575

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Reason posted:

Anyone had experience with a toddler that has decided that diaper changes must all be wrestling matches of poop doom? Its starting to become extremely frustrating to just change a diaper when just a couple months ago I could go "Can you lie down for a diaper change?" and the little dude would just lie down on top of a new diaper and be ok.

Same strategies as getting them to do anything they don't want to do: rewards for good behavior, toys go on timeout until he's changed, and for this specific problem constant reminders about diaper rash.

e:

vvv Only risk with letting them pick out which diaper is when they decide they don't want any of the diapers you have. Although sometimes they decide they don't want any of the available diapers even when you don't give them a choice, so :shrug:

Papercut fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 30, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Can someone else please reassure me that waking up at or before 5 is just a phase?

A week before he turned 1, he started waking up at 5:30 or earlier and it's been getting earlier ever since. He got up at 4:30 this morning and my wife has about had it. He sleeps well during the day (twice a day for about 1.5-2 hours), and prior to some recent schedule fuckery, he was going down at 7:30.

This is a phase right? I would kill a man for consistent sleep until 6am.

At least he's sleeping through the night.

Lasted maybe a year? The alarm clock owl helped a lot.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

greatn posted:

No I just asked my kid he said it's a train. There are no tanks to be spotted. Also, no trucks, I guess cause they were all shunted?

My theory on this series is that the island of Hodor or whatever it is was untouched by a war between humanity and AI, and civilization is slowly reintroducing artificial intelligence, but only in the form of trains because their one dimensional movement capability makes them less of a threat. That one helicopter is probably a war survivor who defected to the humans, I don't think we would build a new helicopter after all that happened.

Ringo Starr was the original narrator of Thomas, find those versions if you can.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Do you guys ever get concerned that they watch shows too often?

I really hope I'm able to hold the line on limiting my kids media consumption when it gets old enough to matter... I would really much rather they spend most of their time actually doing stuff, but I suspect the temptation of being able to sit them in front of a screen and ignore them for an hour or two is going to be strong.

Ours turns 3 in November and still doesn't watch any TV or use a tablet. His media consumption is entirely music and books. We tried to stick to the "no screens until 2" advice, and at this point we don't see any reason to change things up (maybe if a second kid comes around). He's an awesome kid but that may be completely unrelated to the screen time thing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Apogee15 posted:

We tried to do this, but TV time slowly crept in when we felt like it'd be better for her to be watching some TV show than for her to by staring at us whining because we're doing the dishes or something.

Anyways, there are quite a few things she has picked up from the TV shows we put on. She's picked up a whole dance routine from This Video. She's learned how to recognize and name quite a few things(animals, trains, airplanes) from other videos.

I think the main issue with TV isn't that it's inherently negative for babies. It's only if you are using the TV so much that it starts displacing time you would normally have spent socializing with them that it becomes an issue.

I think the main thing about screen time is what the parents are doing. Like you said, if they have some screen time while you're doing chores then whatever, they would be on their own during that time anyway (unless they're helping with chores :pray: ). If they're having screen time while you also have screen time, each on your own screens, I think that's really lovely parenting because that should be prime time for relational interactions between the family. If you're all watching something together after a long day of activity, that sounds fun and I am really looking forward to doing that with my boy.

Of course I say this as someone who watched a disgusting amount of TV growing up with no restrictions whatsoever, and I think I'm doing okay.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

greatn posted:

I'm in a community theatre production right now so my 2 year old is singing a lot of Mel Brooks songs.

We sing lots of songs from musicals in the house, and my son loves trains so "The Trolley Song" from Meet Me in St. Louis is very popular. We've also been potty training lately, so he now loves to sing "pee pee pee went the penis, toot toot toot went the buuuutt" and then laugh and laugh and laugh.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

skeetied posted:

For music stuff, both my kids are in the Music Together program and it's phenomenal. I highly recommend it. There are very interactive and fun classes once a week and you get the music on CD/digital download and a book with the actual sheet music. The music isn't as annoying as normal kid music either.

Yeah we did 3 or 4 semesters of Music Together, it was really fun and the CDs are fantastic. It does depend on the teacher though, because it's a franchise model so some classes are better than others.

Along with the CDs, you also get the music books. We'll still sit down at a keyboard and play/sing the songs together, even though it's been a year since we took the classes.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

Anyone experience marital problems after having a kid? My wife and I have never fought as much as we have in the past year.

This would be so much easier if my son was five years old and able to make himself some drat breakfast. We're so so so so so sick of cleaning up everything and having to entertain him 24 hours a goddamn day.

Yes, every marriage with kids ever. My wife and I fought more in the first year than we had in our entire 10-year relationship prior.

One thing that helps a lot is to always keep in mind that your kids are always paying attention to the way you're treating each other, and will mirror the behavior. So always treat your spouse the way that you would like your kids to treat other people.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 26, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

A lot of the fighting we do is about housework. When I'm looking after our son, I can do that as well as clean the kitchen, vacuum, fold the laundry and sweep/mop. By myself. My wife says it's too difficult to do that - I come home every day and I come back to a house I wouldn't even allow my friends to enter.

I'm certainly not the type of guy who wants the little lady to have the house ready for her man or some poo poo but I kind of feel like parenting is being used as an excuse not to keep things tidy. I don't know, am I crazy?

You're crazy if you let something like that ruin your relationship. Just let it go.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that housework be equally shared between partners. Right now I'm doing at least 90%.

You said she's a SAHM. In my experience, even the most stressful day at work is about 1000x easier than a day at home caring for a baby/toddler by yourself, so if anything you should be coming home every day just grateful that 1) the baby is healthy, and 2) you weren't responsible for keeping he/she that way for the past 8 hours.

There is a natural rebalancing that has to happen post-birth when it comes to tasks, both because neither of you has as much time for existing tasks and because there are a million more things you need to take care of. This is where the vast majority of fights and bickering start, I think greatly exacerbated by the fact that everyone is sleep-deprived. Of course you should communicate if you think you're doing more than your fair share of work. But you're loving out your goddamn mind if you expect your wife to be both a caretaker and a housecleaner at the same time. You wouldn't expect either a nanny or the aunties at daycare to clean your house, so asking the person who is filling that role to do double duty is not fair to her.

The mindset you should be taking home from work is, "Wow, wife must be really tired from taking care of little Scribe Jr all day, I need to make sure to give her some break time to take care of herself", not "The house better be clean when I get home".

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

This reads like "Ignore an on-going problem that's obviously straining the relationship". Letting it go instead of trying to address it is what will ruin the relationship.

There's nothing about my posts that imply he should just ignore his problems. But from an emotional perspective, he's absolutely hosed if he lets trivial poo poo like the dishes cause serious problems instead of saving that energy for important things like finances, parental philosophy, housing, school, etc.

The solution is express yourself, listen to your spouse's perspective, and then get the gently caress over it.

CelestialScribe posted:

This is exactly what I'm saying. We both work hard, but right now I'm having to do nearly all the housework.

It's not unreasonable to ask that when you've used some dishes, you put them in the sink, or if you leave clothes on the floor, you put them away. I'm not asking her to clean the drat windows.

Perhaps people got confused because you implied that she should have the kitchen clean, vacuuming, sweeping, and mopping done (:lol: to that), laundry, and the dishes done by the time you get home. It was an extremely unreasonable position.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

caiman posted:

I'm hoping somebody can offer me some advice/encouragement/consolation regarding daycare. Our first baby will be born in October and the idea of putting him in the hands of strangers terrifies us. My wife and I both work full time. Our parents are willing to take our son 1 day a week each, which leaves 3 days of necessary daycare.

A couple specific questions:
What are the general thoughts on home daycare vs a daycare center?
Should the absence of cameras in the daycare be a deal breaker?

But more generally, I'm sort of looking for advice about how to feel less apprehensive about this. We've toured a KinderCare and it was just okay. We're touring another one later today. I'm wondering if ANY place will make me feel 100% at ease.

1. Depends on what you mean by "home". A lady just running a daycare out of her house, with no staff? The problems I've seen second hand with that is reliability (what happens if she's sick? On vacation? etc), and they tend to not stick to regulations nearly as tightly as a staffed facility (for example, usually more than the allowed number of children per caretaker). But there is nothing wrong with a daycare run out of a house that has been converted properly, with all the staff and facilities that necessitates.

2. Seems like that's something you have to answer for yourself. The thought of that being a dealbreaker had never even occurred to me.

Don't go to a daycare you aren't comfortable with. But in my experience, daycare is amazing. Made tons of friends with similar aged kids, kid loves the place and talks about his caretakers there all the time, the caretakers have done a better job scrapbooking his childhood than we have (they have a HUGE 3-ring binder with photos and anecdotes that they've been recording since he was 8 months old), he's learned a second language there, we volunteer at their garage sales and the like. It's awesome.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

sheri posted:

I dunno man, I love fat chubby babies. Maybe people just love them a chunky little ball of baby?

Babies are supposed to be fat. I've never heard someone call a baby fat in any way other than as a compliment.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Splat posted:

It's a little pricier, but we've really liked having a dropcam ( I guess it's a Nest cam now?) for our son's room. Being able to check in on him even if we're out of the house while grandma is babysitting gives some nice peace of mind. We even have a second one so I can watch him play from work easily if I'm stuck there all day.

I don't know what a drop cam is, but you can do this with any $50 security cam. That's what we used as a monitor.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Werner-Boogle posted:

Get a chain lock and a fire alarm. Fires are rarer than regular household accidents.

LOL, thanks Fire Marshal Bill.

As someone who actually works in fire protection design, under no circumstances should you do this.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

hooah posted:

What are the pros and cons about having your newborn sleep in the same room as you? I'm kind of indifferent, but my wife would rather not do that.

A list of pros and cons doesn't really matter, because you and the baby are just going to end up figuring out what works for you anyway. There's no lasting damage to be done, either way, if that's what you're worried about.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Alterian posted:

My kid is getting pretty good about pooping on the potty. I think he didn't quite understand what the sensations were at first, but I think he is starting to get it. He's excellent with his pee. He even holds his pee all night and thinks its funny to start and stop his stream in the toilet.
He now gets a full sized Reese Cup if he poops successfully in the potty. Its a huge prize for him and one of the few foods that motivates him to do something. It took us keeping a training potty in our family room and making him sit on it for long periods of time while he watched videos until something happened.

Our kids are right around the same age I think, and ours just successfully peed in the potty for the first time yesterday. For the last week or so, we've been letting him watch movies if he sits on the potty while he watches. He had never gotten any type of TV or movies, so it's a huge reward for him. He made it through Wall-E, Finding Nemo, and some hour-long Sesame Street special before he finally actually went to the bathroom in the potty. :itshappening:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

There is some weird stuff on YouTube that my toddler is obsessed with. Grown people unwrapping little toys (I now know what a blind bag is), playing with action figures, making surprise eggs out of play dough. My kid is more interested in watching this stuff than actual cartoons.

My boy absolutely loved videos of chicks hatching. He's obsessed.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

As a cellist, this would entertain me to no end :3:

Our almost-3-year-old watched my sister-in-law practicing cello for a wedding, and has been consistently begging for a cello ever since. We never bring it up, he'll just out of the blue go, "I want a cello for my birthday." Maybe his grandparents will get it for him.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Oodles posted:

Can you not get him a viola and just tel him it's a kiddies cello?

Classical music is a huge part of my grandpa's life (he puts on a concert every year, both of his kids are professional classical musicians), so I'm gonna see if he'll get him one for his birthday. Just this morning I caught him pretending to play, using a flute as the bow:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BonoMan posted:

I need discipline advice. I don't want to spank (although my wife does and hoo boy that's quite the argument inducing topic), but Nora is 14 months old and starting to see what she can get away with. If I take her to daycare (where she's going through a "don't want to be here phase" ever since we spent a week at the beach) - as soon as we walk in the room - she slaps me in the face. If we're at home and trying to do something we don't like (taking a toy away, brushing teeth, although most times she likes it) she'll try to pop me across the face. Every time I try to take a stern voice she just laughs (babies really ARE assholes).

I want to avoid physical punishment (although I did reflexively spat her hand the other day when she slapped me hard... she just laughed when I did it though) so what's some good literature to look at? I know she's not at the age to make that "oh ok ... not supposed to be doing this. My bad!" decision, but I just want to make sure I setup the proper foundations for future disciplines.

Okay you're gonna look at me funny, but the dog training thread is actually highly relevant here because this type of conditioning applies to all mammals. Especially this part:

quote:

A,iii - Extinction

In general, a conditioned response will gradually disappear if not reinforced through the process of extinction. For instance, if Pavlov stopped offering meat powder after sounding the tone for a period of time, the dogs will cease to salivate since the association between the tone and the food is no longer being reinforced. This is why ignored behaviours often stop since the dog is no longer being reinforced for providing them.

However, some behaviours are self-reinforcing, and therefore very difficult to extinguish. For example, a dog often finds barking to be a pleasurable response to various stimuli (barking is FUN!) so even if you ignore a barking dog they're very unlikely to stop this behaviour since they're reinforcing it themselves. That's not to say that you can't train a barking dog to be less barky, but it requires a different approach than to ignore it.

(Thanks to Rixatrix for this section.)

A,iv - Operant conditioning

Operant conditioning accounts for most of what we learn every day.

In classical conditioning, the neutral stimulus and unconditioned response are predictably paired, and the result is an association between the two. (Then the conditioned stimulus triggers the conditioned response.) Stimuli occur before or along with the conditioned response. But dogs (and humans) also learn many associations between responses and stimuli that follow them – between a behaviour and its consequences.

Operant conditioning is all about consequences, whether they're good or bad. Learning is governed by the law of effect which states that if an action is followed by a satisfying effect the action is more likely to be repeated the next time the stimulus is present, and if an action is followed by an unsatisfying effect it is less likely to be repeated. The subject learns by operating on the environment, hence the term operant conditioning.

In classical conditioning the conditioned response does not affect whether or when the stimulus occurs. Pavlov's dogs salivated when the buzzer sounded, but the salivation had no effect on the buzzer or on whether food was presented. To contrast, an operant has some effect on the world. A child says “I'm hungry” and then is fed, the child has made an operant response that influences when food will appear. If a dog sits and then is fed, the dog has made an operant response that has also influenced when food will appear.

A,v - Reinforcement and punishment

There are four quadrants of consequences that follow a response in operant conditioning. They are positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, positive punishment, and negative punishment. A reinforcer increases the likelihood of a behaviour happening again, and a punishment decreases the likelihood of a behaviour happening again. The term “positive” means you're adding something to the environment, “negative” means that you're taking something away from the environment. To clarify:

Positive reinforcement (R+): So, based on the definitions I just gave, a positive reinforcer is something you provide to the dog that will increase the likelihood of a behaviour repeating itself. Example: a treat following a dog sitting after you ask it to sit.

Negative reinforcement (R-): A negative reinforcer is when you take something away from the environment to increase the likelihood of a behaviour repeating itself. Example: upwards tension on a leash is released once a dog has sat after being asked to sit.

Positive punishment (P+): Positive punishment is adding something to the environment to decrease the likelihood of a behaviour repeating. Example: When you reprimand a dog for jumping up on visitors.

Negative punishment (P-): Negative punishment is when you remove something from the environment to decrease the likelihood of a behaviour repeating. Example: Putting a dog on “time out” after jumping up on visitors.

Here in Pet Island we like to focus primarily on R+/P- quadrants. We like to reward good behaviour and ignore bad behaviour. If bad behaviour is ignored (and not self reinforced) then its occurrence will decrease. (See the Extinction section in A,iii for more information.)

A,vi - Positive punishment as a training tool

I had someone come up to me a while ago and when I asked how their new pup was fitting in they said things were going well, but the pup was having a hard time understanding what "no" meant. Apparently she (the puppy) would tug at clothes and generally freak out in that special way puppies do, and no amount of, "no no no NO NONONONONO" would stop her. Strange, eh?

Dogs don't understand "No" very well. Try to define what "No" means. "No" has so many diverse applications -- dogs have difficulty keeping track of them all. When it comes to dog behaviour, there are so many wrong answers out there, and so few right ones. So instead of saying "NO", why not tell your dog what you want it to do instead? Instead of saying, "don't bark at visitors" try saying, "when people come over I want you to lay in this bed." Try giving your dog the right answer. You'll find many of the dog-induced headaches will go away if you tell your dogs what to DO, not what NOT TO DO.

This also applies to other types of positive punishment, like leash pops, spanking, poking, etc. The more intense the aversives become the more fallout you risk creating. Dogs may not understand why they're being hit, the same way they may not understand why you're saying "no" at them. They may momentarily shut down (see learned helplessness, section B,iv) and stop the naughty behaviour, but they may not understand why they've been punished. They may think they're being hit because of behaviour A, whereas you were actually reacting to behaviour B. And as soon as you have a dog not understanding why they're being punished, well, you as an owner and a handler have just become a source of unpredictability and stress.

It's really easy for us as people to focus on the negatives and overlook the positives. With dog training you really have to do the opposite: you want to constantly show and reward your dog for doing the correct thing. This way you offer your dog the structure which it craves.

Well, what if the dog is doing something it shouldn't? When this happens I tend to feel that once a dog does something you don't want it to do, you, as a trainer, have lost the game. As a trainer I always try to be one step ahead of my dog and catch bad behaviours before they actually start and refocus her before she screws up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451

Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 26, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

bee posted:

We had a birthday party for our 2 year old on the weekend. Like others have mentioned, I too was worried about an onslaught of toys. I'm seriously grateful to have so many thoughtful and generous friends, but our house is tiny and we just don't have the room for more toys. So I wrote on the invitation/facebook event thingy something like: "Celeste has lots of toys already, so please don't feel obligated to bring a gift. Having you come along and spend the day with us is what we'd like best and it will make us very happy :) But if you are super keen to bring something, she's always going through art supplies and she loves books."

A few friends told me at the party it was great to hear exactly what kiddo might like to get, and know that their gift was going to be enjoyed.

Re: Christmas, we just give one larger gift instead of a bunch of smaller ones. We try to make the holidays about doing things together - prepping the food in the kitchen, setting up the tree, and we go to carols. I also think what Sheri has suggested is a fantastic idea and I'm going to start doing that too.

We wrote no gifts on our invitation, but no one actually reads the invitation. They just check time/date/location. So about 80% of the guests brought gifts.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

photomikey posted:

In my opinion, sharing well is kind of like eating well - you get dealt a kid who is either by nature pretty good at it or pretty bad at it, and you can make it better or worse from there. I'd say at 15 months you can start reinforcing it, but I think it's a long road until they're good at it.

I think there are ways to make your kid much worse at sharing, and I see parents doing these things all the time.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

rgocs posted:

I just want to preempt this by saying I do not advocate hitting or abusing your kid in any way.

Now, first, nitpicking, maybe, but:

is not what the response said.

And then, I'm sure she's as allowed to "gently smack the hand" of her sibling as she's allowed to dictate her bedtime, decide what her sibling should eat, whether she should use a car seat or not; you know, anything her parents do.

Apes are apes.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

GladRagKraken posted:

My parenting bookclub this month is reading Alphie Kohn's "Unconditional Parenting". The gist of it is that rewards (including praise!) are as likely as punishments to be detrimental for long term child development. It also includes a pretty compelling indictment of time out from positive reenforcement, which previously I thought was the go to acceptable way of making parental displeasure known.

Two questions, if somebody else here has read the book:
The piles and piles of footnotes with references to studies look impressive, but I don't have the academic background necessary to evaluate them. Can someone confirm/deny they're as impressive as they seem?
Has anyone given Alphie's suggested replacements for timeouts and bribery a shot? Can you tell me how that worked out for you?

I haven't read it, but our 3-year-old is waaaaaay better behaved than his peers and we still have never given him a timeout. Every punishment of his involves either putting his toys on timeout or loss of privileges (e.g. no books at bed tonight). We use a ton of communication and try at any cost to avoid forcing him to do anything; everything he does is under his own agency from his point of view. He's far more emotionally mature, a better sharer, and far less violent than any of his peers.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Reason posted:

Why don't people listen when you ask them to stop buying your kid stupid toys. He's got enough toys. He plays with them for about 30 seconds and then he's done. STOP BUYING THE CHILD TOYS. I asked people to buy him experiences for his birthday, like tickets to the zoo and poo poo like that, not a single zoo ticket or anything. A bunch of plastic junk I have to spend all day stepping on.

We had a no gifts request for his birthday. All ~30 guests brought a gift, including one family from his daycare that gave him a giant pop-up Thomas tent that now takes up basically an entire closet. Motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

momtartin posted:

So my daughter has not been sleeping through the night all the time the last 4 months or so (she's 3 next month). Her mom and I are not together, so i'm not exactly sure how it is at her house. Apparently though, she brought this fact up to my daughters pediatrician (who is also my ex's doctor), and she suggested that we put her on either melatonin or HydrOXYzine.

To me, that seems a little extreme putting a 3 year old on a med like that, especially if she's still waking up normally, and not falling asleep at school. Am I wrong in that regard or is that a normal thing?

My 3-year-old still wakes up at night like half the time. And asks in the morning why mama and papa get to sleep in the same bed but he has to sleep alone. I think it would be more weird if a toddler didn't want someone to snuggle with at night.