Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I am seriously tempted to just write up a giant post of all the poo poo in AGE which makes no sense because it is a long list.

Seriously do it man. I've avoided AGE like the plague but I only imagine how hilarious the list could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

So one common complaint about AGE was that the action scenes tended to be a bit on the underwhelming side (and I agree). So what are you folks' favourite battles from the franchise, then?

Personally, I've gotta say that Judau and Puru versus the Psyco Gundam Mk. II in Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ and Banagher versus Frontal in Episode 3 of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn score pretty highly for sheer :black101:-factor, though there are plenty of other good ones out there.

The final battle between Char and Haman and Kamille and Scirocco was ball-clenchingly tense the first time I saw it. Just the way everyone keeps trading blows, and knowing it's a Gundam finale so some fuckers are gonna die, and having part of the fight literally set inside the barrel of a massive laser just made it impossible not to watch. The waverider crash is always awesome, too.

Still, I can't think of a Gundam show I've watched that hasn't had some drat good action in it. Both seasons of 00 had some great setpieces and awesome finales - S1's finale in particular gave me a lot of the same 'oh poo poo :ohdear:' feeling I got from Zeta. Even SEED had a good climax, I thought - though it had Dub Rau and his MAGNIFICENT VOICE ACTING!!!! to help.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

So one common complaint about AGE was that the action scenes tended to be a bit on the underwhelming side (and I agree). So what are you folks' favourite battles from the franchise, then?

Personally, I've gotta say that Judau and Puru versus the Psyco Gundam Mk. II in Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ and Banagher versus Frontal in Episode 3 of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn score pretty highly for sheer :black101:-factor, though there are plenty of other good ones out there.

Most of my favorites are from 0079. Things like Amuro using the sun to blind that guy early on, that last smackdown between Amuro and Char complete with a swordfight duel out of the MS's, the Jet Stream Attack was also very memorable, and Ramba's last stand was badass.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Bimmi posted:

There is something quite viscerally satisfying to me about the opening scene of 0080.

All three action big mobile suit action scenes in that series were great.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Suben posted:

All three action big mobile suit action scenes in that series were great.
Especially the last one because you're so tense because you don't want either side to win/lose.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Even though it led to some really stupid poo poo and the sword suddenly growing a laser was dumb, I still like the Freedom vs. Impulse fight.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The 00 raiser and reborns fight was pretty awesome. They 00 raiser really gets beat up for the first time, there's some good moments, like the smokeshell sneak attack. Then the suits get so messed up that they have to go back into their old ones and beat the poo poo out of each other in those.

CCA goes for my all time favorite as it had a great build up and I love fights where they run out of tricks and blast through their weapons, so by the end of it it's amuro punching chars suit.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
So I've heard a lot about Gundam over the years and decided to check out 08th MS Team as my first show. The concept of a boots-on-the-ground view of a big space robot war sounded interesting, as well as the visual parallels to Vietnam. I'm halfway through it and enjoying it more than I'm not, but I have a problem...

The animation is great, the action is very fun to watch, and I like how it focuses on how lovely he soldier's lives are. I also like how it really treats the suits like award machines rather than having mirror-sleek human movement. The scene where a gundam's arm is opened up so Shiro can mess with the laser sword settings was particularly good to me.

But more often than not, I'm really disliking the dialog. It's long winded, awkwardly written, and I suppose I just have a problem with people going on and on when they should shut up and focus on what they're doing. The fed/zeon pilots romance subplot could be a lot better if all of the dialog between the characters wasn't really painful. However, from what amount of it I've seen, I'm pretty sure most anime dialog is like that.

What I'm wondering is where do I go from here? There's so god drat many shows and I don't know what will appeal to me. I'm thinking about watching the original series after this ends, but is there a series that isn't painful when it comes to dialog and character interaction? It's surprisingly hard to focus on cool robot battles when I want everyone involved to shut up.

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 1, 2012

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
There's always G Gundam. Even it has long-winding dialogue in the middle of fights though; that's kind of an issue with anime in general.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

SSJ Reeko posted:

What I'm wondering is where do I go from here? There's so god drat many shows and I don't know what will appeal to me. I'm thinking about watching the original series after this ends, but is there a series that isn't painful when it comes to dialog and character interaction? It's surprisingly hard to focus on cool robot battles when I want everyone involved to shut up.

Debating philosophy and worldviews (badly) during life or death giant robot battles is kind of a Gundam thing at this point, so.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't remember them being all that talky during battles in first gundam and zeta. So there's those.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd probably go with Gundam 0080, which shows the war more from the civilian side of things and then maybe the movie compilations of the original MS Gundam, depending on your tolerance for really old animation.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

Guyver posted:

I don't remember them being all that talky during battles in first gundam and zeta. So there's those.

You mean grandstanding speeches during a battle isn't exclusive to Gundam Wing? :gonk:

Also seconding the original 0079 movie trilogy. It's what got me hooked on the franchise. ADTRW is doing a simulwatch of Turn A which is also really really good. It's not licensed over here so I'm pretty sure there's a subbed HD release floating around that you can marathon until you get caught up with the others.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I've started watching the original series, and I'm liking it a lot more than I did 08th MS Team. Though the animation is old, a lot of effort went into it, and it doesn't get caught up in it's own effects. I think it works perfectly fine, and looks rather good. Also, it gets a laugh out of me every time Amaro throws his shield at a guy instead of shooting him, especially when he picks it up and does it again.

The big that that's enduring me to the show is how it's conveying it's anti-war message and the fact that how regardless of side, people are still people way better than 08th did. A couple of Zeon pilots were shot down after dropping aid to some Fed refugees, they spent some time together and went on their ways. No half-an-episode long speeches about sides and what is loyalty or whatever, the show assumes you're adult enough to know that it's not a matter of black and white.

I also like how when focusing on Char and individual soldiers, Zeon seems on about the same level mortally as the Feds, though a bit more brutal. It's a lot less willing to paint people as straight good or evil than I thought it would be. So far, I actually feel bad whenever they (often) show the pilot as his suit is blowing up. It's a strong anti-war touch that doesn't feel forced. It seems like as the series grew bigger and the budgets grew larger, the show tried to explain the same things but in bigger, more dramatic ways and it doesn't work as well. People also say fewer dumber things in this show, which I always appreciate.

I just finished episode 8 so I have a fair bit to go through. Hopefully it keeps up the quality. I'll be sure to check out those films mentioned, and look into 0080. I also remember a bit of G Gundam from Toonami, it was ridiculous and I might just enjoy that kind of over-the-top stuff these days.

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 2, 2012

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just be warned that the show ended too abruptly because of ratings, and so the movies are really the "canon" version of the show. Also there's a whole lot of just dumb poo poo in the middle episodes because of it being a 70s robot show and all that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rakugoon posted:

Just be warned that the show ended too abruptly because of ratings, and so the movies are really the "canon" version of the show. Also there's a whole lot of just dumb poo poo in the middle episodes because of it being a 70s robot show and all that.

I remember being so weirded out when I saw that the villains of a gritty, 'both sides are poo poo war is hell' mecha drama resided in a giant palace shaped like a giant angry face. Do they keep that in the movies?

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiritus Nox posted:

I remember being so weirded out when I saw that the villains of a gritty, 'both sides are poo poo war is hell' mecha drama resided in a giant palace shaped like a giant angry face. Do they keep that in the movies?

Hell loving yeah they do! The things the movie cuts out are more like all the dumb poo poo with the core block "upgrades" and their ilk, and stuff like that one episode that was so bad they wouldn't even let it be translated with the rest of it. Honestly the only thing I miss from the show is the extended version of the duel on Texas Colony.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!
I'd love to know what sort of drugs they were on when they devised the newtype experiences. :lsd: The song Encounters too is a piece of late 70's Japanese cheesy melodrama that I don't think will ever be replicated.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Guyver posted:

Zeta was pretty bad about that when any of the cyber newtypes popped up. It's one of the reasons I don't really like Zeta Gundam compared to the original.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Miijhal posted:

Zeta was pretty bad about that when any of the cyber newtypes popped up. It's one of the reasons I don't really like Zeta Gundam compared to the original.

Then again, being able to have long, philosophical arguments in the middle of battle is pretty much literally what newtype magic is designed for. The godly mecha-piloting skills are just a side-benefit that everyone gives far more attention than it deserves.

For an image of an ideal newtype paradise, imagine Char ranting at Amuro about how the traumatised teen prostitute he made out with was supposed to be his mother-figure forever. :allears:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Miijhal posted:

It was soooooooooooo bad. If the show didn't have cyber newtypes it would have been 500% better off.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
At my work someone wrote, "ZGMF-X10A Freedom" on one of the pallet jacks we use. It is a piece of poo poo.

Really tempted to name of the good jacks one after the Turn-A now.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

The best jack should clearly be named the Akatsuki.

gold pimp gundam best gundam

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

Look at this guy.

Look at how wrong he is.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Paper Lion posted:

You know what other Gundam is gold? Hyper Mode God Gundam. Checkmate. :colbert:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Akatsuki isn't even a Gundam. :colbert:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Whizbang posted:

Hey if we're just going by gold mobile suits, I vote for Hyaku Shiki, that one was bad-rear end.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Hey if we're just going by gold mobile suits, I vote for Hyaku Shiki, that one was bad-rear end.

He said Gundam, so you are a bit off. It's actually http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/MSN-001_Delta_Gundam

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

He said Gundam, so you are a bit off. It's actually http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/MSN-001_Delta_Gundam

It's not the Wing Gundam. It's the Bling Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Whizbang posted:

Huh?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

One of the weird things about the CE series is that none of the characters in the shows call any of the Mobile Suits in any of them "Gundam." The closest you get are those horrid acronyms in the suit operating systems at startup.

Toys and models call all the ace units "Gundams" on the packaging but that's just so kids can tell which ones are the cool suits or something I guess.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Midjack posted:

One of the weird things about the CE series is that none of the characters in the shows call any of the Mobile Suits in any of them "Gundam." The closest you get are those horrid acronyms in the suit operating systems at startup.

Toys and models call all the ace units "Gundams" on the packaging but that's just so kids can tell which ones are the cool suits or something I guess.

That doesn't matter. Bandai calls it a Gundam, it's a Gundam. Delta Plus is identical to the Delta Gundam, but it's not a Gundam simply because it lacks the name Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

Actually one character does.

Kira. He calls them Gundams because of the OS. Lacus is even like "... Gundam? Is that what you call it? Whatever!" when he sees the Freedom for the first time.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Paper Lion posted:

I'm sorry, did you just call something that isn't Ball Gundam the best gundam?

Because any other answer is wrong.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Miijhal posted:

Real talk. That thing took out six DOMs without trying.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

I've said it a thousand times but holy poo poo modern MS design is so repulsively ugly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Suben posted:

I've said it a thousand times but holy poo poo modern MS design is so repulsively ugly.

Eh, 00 had nice designs. It's more like the CE main story universe really loving loves backpacks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Miijhal posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, we havin' a best Gundam contest? Cause I know ya'll can't be forgettin' my boy:

God drat, G Gundam was the best...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Eh, 00 had nice designs. It's more like the CE main story universe really loving loves backpacks.

00 loved backpacks too. It literally had backpacks that turned into other Gundams that is how much it loved them. 00 had some really awful designs honestly, although it had a few nice ones too. (The Flag is still great.)

Really, the design sense for everything since SEED had been sort of boring and muddled. It's either UC callbacks or designs that don't have very much personality because they're so Generic Gundam. AGE is probably the worst here in that it has designs which are indistinguishable from 00 designs, right down to having the glowing green GN solid weapons for no reason.

The villain units tend to do a lot better because they're allowed to have personality. You're not going to mistake a Vagan for a Innovade or anything. Meanwhile the interchangable Gundams are barely distinguishable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

00 loved backpacks too. It literally had backpacks that turned into other Gundams that is how much it loved them. 00 had some really awful designs honestly, although it had a few nice ones too. (The Flag is still great.)
That happened later on in the 2nd season and even then that didn't extend to all of them.

ImpAtom posted:

Really, the design sense for everything since SEED had been sort of boring and muddled. It's either UC callbacks or designs that don't have very much personality because they're so Generic Gundam. AGE is probably the worst here in that it has designs which are indistinguishable from 00 designs, right down to having the glowing green GN solid weapons for no reason.
AGE-1 is fairly clearly a rip off The Gundam. Of course 00 had one of those as well so you can still make that argument I guess. But heck they even changed the color on it to yellow later on.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 6, 2012

• Locked thread