Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

lil baby anime posted:

The unicorn looks like a really fancy GM to me so I like it.

A thousand times this. I am so sad that they didn't make a rival suit that is a really fancy Zaku-II... oh wait.

Aaaaaaand speaking of taking old designs and ruining them...

Those arms :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's a bit bulkier but it's still basically the same design.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Schubalts posted:

That's exactly how it worked. There were no beam weapons aside from the Gundams at that point in time. The Flags even had vibro-knives.

I am looking at some of the images of over flag MA mode, but I can't seem to find where is the shield located in that mode, and if there is any use for it.

Wouldn't it be easier (and somewhat energy efficient) to just give them a solid shield instead of ones that spins? Like, in V gundam, those shield also acts as a propeller for the MA mode (helicopter), but I can't see the shield in Flag to be used as a propulsion system.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

wfwon posted:

I am looking at some of the images of over flag MA mode, but I can't seem to find where is the shield located in that mode, and if there is any use for it.

Just watched a gunpla review of the overflag to see what happens to the shield. It simply stays on the arm even in MA mode. I'm guessing the shield tends to pull an Optimus Prime whenever it wants to.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I'm such a Gundam Wing loser. It was practically my introduction to anime, not to mention mecha.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

wfwon posted:

Wouldn't it be easier (and somewhat energy efficient) to just give them a solid shield instead of ones that spins? Like, in V gundam, those shield also acts as a propeller for the MA mode (helicopter), but I can't see the shield in Flag to be used as a propulsion system.

The thing in the series was that the original Flag wasn't really a transforming MS.
It was either an MS or a plane-thing being configured on the ground to whichever mode was needed. Transforming midair was hella-difficult and only Graham could pull it off reliably at first (GRAHAM SPECIAL :kamina: )
So you either had a hovering MS with a vibro sword, spinning deflector and a gun, or a jet.
The Overflag had it's pilots transform midair a lot more iirc, with the Brave being a standard transforming ms.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Syrant posted:

I'm such a Gundam Wing loser. It was practically my introduction to anime, not to mention mecha.

Whatever people say about Wing, they gotta agree that it's music is rad as hell :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KoB posted:

Whatever people say about Wing, they gotta agree that it's music is rad as hell :colbert:

I can still hear the opening music even though I haven't seen it for probably twelve or more years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsoqf_5k4TQ

Seeing Releena's stupid loving face still enrages me long after I've forgotten why.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 10, 2012

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

KoB posted:

This song is still the first thing I think of when I think of music in Gundam. I don't care for Wing now that I'm a lot older but the music is still objectively good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I listened to several songs from the OST the other day after a music thread on /m/ and the only one I actually liked was Wings of the boy who killed adolesence. And even then I didn't think that was great, just good.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

tsob posted:

I listened to several songs from the OST the other day after a music thread on /m/ and the only one I actually liked was Wings of the boy who killed adolesence. And even then I didn't think that was great, just good.

I used that music on my Gundam 00 units in SRW Z2 Saisei-hen. It's pretty drat fitting.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I finally noticed Unicorn 5 came out and I'm just glad something went right for once. Given how grim the rest of the show was I was shocked Marida made it through the episode alive.

Also that purple suit from the end was rad as hell. How do you deal with anti-beam shields? Add more beams. :riker:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

I finally noticed Unicorn 5 came out and I'm just glad something went right for once. Given how grim the rest of the show was I was shocked Marida made it through the episode alive.

Also that purple suit from the end was rad as hell. How do you deal with anti-beam shields? Add more beams. :riker:

The funny thing is that the Rozen Zulu is basically a Hamma-Hamma, a monster-of-the-week suit from Gundam ZZ piloted by resident idiot Mashymyre Cello. All Angelo did was use it competently.

And yeah, it was nice to see both Marida and Zinnerman make it out of that one alive. Riddhe, you picked exactly the right time to be incompetent. :allears:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Darth Walrus posted:

The funny thing is that the Rozen Zulu is basically a Hamma-Hamma, a monster-of-the-week suit from Gundam ZZ piloted by resident idiot Mashymyre Cello. All Angelo did was use it competently.

And yeah, it was nice to see both Marida and Zinnerman make it out of that one alive. Riddhe, you picked exactly the right time to be incompetent. :allears:

To be fair, he had a lot on his mind, such as the girl he liked jumping out of an airship just to get away from him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

To be fair, he had a lot on his mind, such as the girl he liked jumping out of an airship just to get away from him.

That in no way makes his glorious fail any less funny. I mean, what's his next attempt to kill Banagher and company going to do? Cause them all to win the lottery and get free holiday tickets to Side Two?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Gundam Unicorn Episode 6: Banagher and Mineva win all-expenses-paid trips to scenic Side 2. Riddhe follows them. Mineva jumps out of the space colony.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!
Per the favorite Mobile Suit discussion from the last page I've always been partial to the Hi-Zack for some reason. Maybe it's due to it looking like a roided out Zaku 2. Coincidentally, I'm also a Titans fanboy. Who can resist those beautiful purople locks of Paptimus Scirroco?

Senor Science fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 12, 2012

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I bet that syrup tastes like betrayal and angst.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

http://www.space.com/17856-nasa-deep-space-station-moon-farside.html

So NASA are talking about putting a space station at a Lagrange point, specifically L2 on the far side of the Moon. Of all the places to put a manned space station, they had to go and pick Side 3. Nice going.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ever since reading The High Frontier (Thanks Zorak!) I've been telling my friends space colonies are the way to go with the future. So seeing this will hopefully make me sound less nuts.

Also, http://www.amazon.com/The-High-Frontier-Colonies-Apogee/dp/189652267X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350079396&sr=8-1&keywords=the+high+frontier

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
My grandfather read The High Frontier on my recommendation (which I recommended to him based on Zorak's recommendation).

Gundam is good science fiction because it encouraged me and my family to learn more science. :unsmith:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

jackhunter64 posted:

http://www.space.com/17856-nasa-deep-space-station-moon-farside.html

So NASA are talking about putting a space station at a Lagrange point, specifically L2 on the far side of the Moon. Of all the places to put a manned space station, they had to go and pick Side 3. Nice going.

It's not like we're going to beat Japan to building Gundams. Might as well get a foot in the space colony door.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 5, 2014

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

boom boom boom posted:

Second paragraph,

"We swear to god the ISS wasn't a huge waste of time and money, seriously"

The ISS is like one of those teamwork-building excursions you and your co-workers are forced to attend.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

So I'm about 30 episodes into Gundam SEED. Without spoilers, is it just me, or is the hate for this series largely based on the fact that it's made up of like 75% flashbacks and re-used footage?

I noticed it mostly between eps 20-28 or so. It was like they were just recapping the entire series so far for new viewers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

So I'm about 30 episodes into Gundam SEED. Without spoilers, is it just me, or is the hate for this series largely based on the fact that it's made up of like 75% flashbacks and re-used footage?

I noticed it mostly between eps 20-28 or so. It was like they were just recapping the entire series so far for new viewers.

That was partially due to budgeting issues and partially due to the fact that it apparently was getting new viewers regularly. The end result is a whole loving lot of recycling. If you're watching the HD version, you're also missing out on a lot of recap episodes that existed in the original.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

I believe it's also the bad writing, the fact that every character has the same face regardless of gender, bad voice acting, Laser beams that don't kill, and backpacks.

Note: some of this may actually apply to Destiny instead of SEED, I haven't watched either personally, this is just what i recall from this thread

I personally find all the mech designs bad.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

JazzFlight posted:

SEED isn't really that bad. It's Destiny that's truly terrible and retroactively tainted it.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Sindai posted:

SEED isn't really that bad. It's Destiny that's truly terrible and retroactively tainted it.

The best thing you can say about SEED was that it was aggressively mediocre. And Kira's Japanese VA crying like a beached whale was unintentional hilarity.

Destiny is kinda clever for about 8-12 episodes, then it decays into this horrible mass of bad decisions.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MadRhetoric posted:

The best thing you can say about SEED was that it was aggressively mediocre. And Kira's Japanese VA crying like a beached whale was unintentional hilarity.

Destiny is kinda clever for about 8-12 episodes, then it decays into this horrible mass of bad decisions.

It's kind of funny - Destiny has a decent-to-pretty good premise, it just falls apart in the second half because the writing stops making any loving sense. Super Robot Wars Z gets a lot of credit for making the plot much more believable, and it does this by mostly just having characters actually respond to each other and their circumstances like actual loving people.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I didn't find it that terrible. Just really really average. I liked the spin of Kira having to face four Gundams from the get go, but all the recycled footage got boring pretty fast.

Gundam 00's finale was way loving worse than anything SEED could have thrown at me.

Azran fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 14, 2012

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Azran posted:

I didn't find it that terrible. Just really really average. I liked the spin of Kira having to face four Gundams from the get go, but all the recycled footage got boring pretty fast.

Gundam 00's finale was way loving worse than anything SEED could have thrown at me.

At least the TRANS AM idiocy had some comedic pay-off with that finale :allears:

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
https://yande.re/pool/show/2427

A good number of really great Gundam pictures, using one of them as my wallpaper.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I finally have a good use for the slideshow wallpaper function in Windows 7. There's even great wallpapers for my phone.

DeathByDoubleDip
Feb 9, 2009

Azran posted:

After finding this thread and quickly backtracking, I was starting to wonder if I was the only person who wanted all of the Gundam Meisters in 00 to die.

Yes. All of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathByDoubleDip posted:

After finding this thread and quickly backtracking, I was starting to wonder if I was the only person who wanted all of the Gundam Meisters in 00 to die.

Yes. All of them.

No, I did too. I hated every single one of them. Allelujah came the closest to one I didn't hate and then in Season 2 he was MARIE MARIE MARIE MARIE and I don't know why they bothered to have him around instead of just giving Soma his robot and sticking him in a closet somewhere.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Any of them were still better than that 00 side story guy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I liked the idea of an independent force of Gundams peacekeepers. Shame they didn't do much with it - would have been interesting to know the inside of the organization. Instead, it looked like there was a big void between Aeolia Schenberg and the rest of the organization. To be fair, it's been a while since I saw the series.

And the Gundam Meisters can all die in a fire. I liked Lockon, but offing him just to get his conspiciously identical twin was just lazy.

Also, thanks for that page! The art is amazing.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

DeathByDoubleDip posted:

Yes. All of them.

Come on, you know their identical twins would just show up to replace them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Come on, you know their identical twins would just show up to replace them anyway.

What are you talking about, there are no identical twins for... oh. Wait. poo poo.

I guess Setsuna doesn't have an identical twin.

• Locked thread