Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Dave Syndrome posted:

You know, I wonder how rabid Karen Traviss fans took this episode, what with Mandalore's return to their warrior culture and all.

Loved the duel. Not too short, lots and lots of cool little details and moves, and Viszla's beheading was a great example of how you get away on children's TV with portraying something incredibly brutal without actually showing it, if you frame the shot right and let the sound do the work for you.

The more I'm looking at this shot, the more I admire it. I know it's CG and therefore much easier to frame, but look at the way Bo-Katan's elbow juust covers the missing head as the body collapses. Masterful.

The animation quality is night and day if you go back to S1 or the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Not only the animation, but also the texture and details. Really very well done and good-looking when it looked rather primitive in season one.

Also, Mandalore gatherings look like a Lebensborn convention. Rather eery.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
My only complaint about this arc is it's not twice as long. A lot happened in these last two episodes, and considering the time spent on the drawn-out younglings/droid/rebels 4 parters before, it seems a shame this is so condensced.

I really love what they've done with Maul. Would have been interesting to have this version of him in place of Grevious for Episode III.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Animation is labor intensive. They've outsourced everything to Shang hai but the intellectual property rights.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

mmtt posted:

The duel was nice, but as always it seems Jedi/Sith don't use their full powers when fighting 'normal' people. I still don't get it he didnt force choke Vizla instantly.

I explained it by assuming Vizla had so much experience fighting, he wouldn't panic when Maul tried to choke him. Maul would be so focused on using the Force to choke Vizla that Maul wouldn't be able to defend himself when Vizla pulled out his pistols and shot him dead.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TheBigBad posted:

Animation is labor intensive. They've outsourced everything to Shang hai but the intellectual property rights.

Yeah, but that's what's done for most "U.S." animation series. Korea or China for the actual drawing/animation. Doesn't make it inferior though - Avatar: The Last Airbender for example gained a lot from their collaboration with the Korean studio.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

mmtt posted:

The duel was nice, but as always it seems Jedi/Sith don't use their full powers when fighting 'normal' people. I still don't get it he didnt force choke Vizla instantly.

Anyway, here's too hoping before dying, Maul gets to be evil and kill Asoka. But that might be too dark for a kid show.

My take on this was that Maul was fighting Vizla specifically to win the loyalty of the rest of Death Watch. Since their tradition was they would only accept Maul as their new leader if he defeated Vizla in combat, maybe Maul assumed that using the Force would be seen as unfair by the Mandalorians. I'm trying to remember if Maul used the Force at all during any of the duel, even just to retrieve his lightsaber or anything like that? If not, Maul must have been specifically doing things the hard way just to put on a good show.

That said, even without the Force, I'd think Maul should have been able to make much shorter work of Vizla. But again, it may have all just been for show.

Kind of related, I started to roll my eyes at Death Watch's dependence on their jetpacks. Like with Jango in AOTC, once Vizla's jetpack came off, it was only a matter of time until he lost his head. You could probably argue that Vizla's dependence on all his gadget weaponry was almost as much of a crutch as Maul's use of the Force would have been, so it still wasn't really a fair fight of two combatants armed only with [energy] swords.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Sith Happens posted:

My take on this was that Maul was fighting Vizla specifically to win the loyalty of the rest of Death Watch.

[...]

But again, it may have all just been for show.

Pretty much this. Compare his normal quiet and restrained way of speaking with his challenge to Viszla, suddenly all roaring and chest-thumping machismo.

Gatito
Mar 29, 2010
^
Second this, Maul could easily just force grab/impale him the very second the duel started. He did not need to win, that was a given, he needed to convince.
And even then, Bo Katan and the other not blindly orthodox mandalorians, decided to secede.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Maul was using the force anyway its how a Jedi/Sith can block blaster fire. Its likely how he dodged the explosives. I don't think the superiority it would have granted was reflected in the swordfight- but then that makes for a quick summary execution and bad entertainment value. I am curious about the line between man and machine. Was the Maul of this arc diminished from Phantom Menace Maul because he is half machine? Same for Vader vs Anakin. Or was he simply dialed back for the sake of good episodic storytelling?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
My impression was that they indeed seem to hint on him being diminished in the Force by his loss of the lower body. During the whole "conquer the underworld" thing two episodes ago he did let Savage do most of the fighting and he seems to use the Force only very seldom and not very flashy.
Of course it could simply be the usual problem of the writers forgetting that their protagonists are freaking space wizards and don't need to use swords or fists for everything.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Clip from the next episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlHQDjLil0Q

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
How many episodes were completely wasted on that awful droid subplot, again?

*slaps forehead*

We could have had more of this. More of THIS, DAMNIT!

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Maul better not bite it for real without first solving the Ahsoka continuity snarl.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

Maul better not bite it for real without first solving the Ahsoka continuity snarl.

I think it would make more narrative sense for it to be Dooku who does that. Would add some extra oomph to the scene when Anakin kills him in III.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its a kids show. Its going to end with Asohka becoming a jedi knight and either just disappearing, or being sent off on a special mission in deep space and her getting her own spin off when she awakens from cryo sleep in 80 years. In fact, this is going to be the new trilogy, if only because Star Wars LOVES to gently caress over its fans.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

DarthXaos posted:

I think it would make more narrative sense for it to be Dooku who does that. Would add some extra oomph to the scene when Anakin kills him in III.

Yeah but who gives a Count Dooku about that guy.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

swickles posted:

In fact, this is going to be the new trilogy, if only because Star Wars LOVES to gently caress over its fans.

I love this. Lucas isn't around to kick so its just the franchise now. Star Wars has the BEST fans.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
Oh my. What a shocking turn of events :roflolmao:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Great episode. drat, the Countess and Savage :cry:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
drat, Sidious like a BOSS. I had wondered if they would have him go all out to keep a bit of the Episode III action a surprise, but nope. He was all over the place.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
While the episodea arc was cool, probably one of the best of all the seasons, Maul's rise and fall was rushed. Things could have been drawn out with him extending his influence outside Mandalore, transforming in a real threat as a third party and becoming a real wrench thrown in Palpatin's plans. Then the chancellor retaliation would have been more justified. Sidious is not one to reveal his plans and use brute force to prevail.

Sidious came in as cackling power hungry mad man instead of patient and ruthless Sith Lord. I would have preferred if he had advanced masked, taking out methodically Maul bodyguards, leaving only a path of corpses for Maul to find, increasing the tension and underlining Maul's powerlessness. But I have to admit, the fight was well done, you could feel that Sidious was really toying with them and his mastery of the force powers is unmatched.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Was I the only one who expected Satine to end her transmission for help with "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Sidious' initial flourish, scouring the ground was awesome. Super awesome episode.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

swickles posted:

Its a kids show. Its going to end with Asohka becoming a jedi knight and either just disappearing, or being sent off on a special mission in deep space and her getting her own spin off when she awakens from cryo sleep in 80 years. In fact, this is going to be the new trilogy, if only because Star Wars LOVES to gently caress over its fans.

A kid's show the second episode of which involved battle droids sadistically joking around while busting open escape pods so that the people within would die.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

DarthXaos posted:

A kid's show the second episode of which involved battle droids sadistically joking around while busting open escape pods so that the people within would die.

Also a show that just showed that they aren't afraid to kill off people (even if they aren't the main cast, they were at least second row).

I agree that establishing Mandalore under Maul as a third party (even if it is only for a season or two), causing Palpatine problems would have been a more interesting path to take. Still a good arc and good episode. And while I had preferred a controlled Palpatine, coldly kill them all without them even being able to fight back instead of crackling master lightsaber user it was still a visually impressive fight.

Decius fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 3, 2013

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Decius posted:

Also a show that just showed that they aren't afraid to kill off people (even if they aren't the main cast, they were at least second row).

I agree that establishing Mandalore under Maul as a third party (even if it is only for a season or two), causing Palpatine problems would have been a more interesting path to take. Still a good arc and good episode. And while I had preferred a controlled Palpatine, coldly kill them all without them even being able to fight back instead of crackling master lightsaber user it was still a visually impressive fight.

You probably won't be seeing any of that once it moves over to Disney xd.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

swickles posted:

Was I the only one who expected Satine to end her transmission for help with "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope."

YES! I was white knuckling it, waiting for her to say it.

Awesome episode. Incredible animation, and the scene where they open the blast doors and it's an all out Mandalorian battle going on was pretty sweet.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You can watch episodes here now. Just recentish ones though I think: http://starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/syndication/

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I don't mind Palpatine being a vindictive cackling villain. It just about fits with how he's been portrayed in both episodes three and six, as someone who's a very patient and clever mastermind, but one who really likes to revel in the evil during those few times when the gloves come off.

Edit: The Sith equivalent to let the force flow through you.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Calliper posted:

These are the people I hope die before the season ends:

Savage
Maul
Ventress
Ahsoka
Rex
all of mandalore

My dreams are all coming true. Here is the trailer for the finale. Looks good actually

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr8wuEZaYcI

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Calliper posted:

My dreams are all coming true. Here is the trailer for the finale. Looks good actually

holy moly :stare:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Calliper posted:

Well that was dark.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Here's a better quality version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfZq0ddylhE

Man, such a good trailer but I can't help but lower my expectations in preparation for the awkward hand-waving they'll likely be doing by the end of this arc. They're not gonna kill off Ahsoka, folks. Maybe Ventress, maybe Maul, but not Ahsoka.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

EddieDean posted:

I don't mind Palpatine being a vindictive cackling villain.

I love how this episode basically showed what happens when he is just like "gently caress it, I'll handle this poo poo myself". Dude has to cut loose every now and then.

Cross-Section posted:

Man, such a good trailer but I can't help but lower my expectations in preparation for the awkward hand-waving they'll likely be doing by the end of this arc. They're not gonna kill off Ahsoka, folks. Maybe Ventress, maybe Maul, but not Ahsoka.

I have faith that Ahsoka is going to go out in some heroic fashion. Probably involving an explosion or something. But as someone mentioned before, having Dooku kill her off would probably be a pretty good decision based on how Anakin offs him in Episode 3.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 8, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm really interested to see how they handle Ahsoka going forward. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but she's probably my favourite character on the show (:colbert:) and I'd love to see a post-Clone Wars story centered around her.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm really interested to see how they handle Ahsoka going forward. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but she's probably my favourite character on the show and I'd love to see a post-Clone Wars story centered around her.

A funeral? :3:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm really interested to see how they handle Ahsoka going forward. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but she's probably my favourite character on the show (:colbert:) and I'd love to see a post-Clone Wars story centered around her.

I like her too. Didn't much in the beginning, but going forward they toned down the annoying parts and she turned out a good character in my opinion. Still, she has to disappear somewhere before Episode 6, for better or worse.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

i'm more pumped for some tarkin/clones action than all this ahsoka death chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I love her I think she has great pathos that Hayden Christiansen hosed up with Anakin as a character.

• Locked thread