Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
More than likely depression/etc would be a disqualifier for the military and actual service, not with the clearance itself. Or so I would imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Pilot requires a security clearance and you will never, ever, ever, get a clearance having been diagnosed with depression. The second ever comes from being medicated for it. I'm sorry. :(

Bullshit. I kept a Secret with access to some other stuff after being diagnosed with depression, having suicidal ideations, and being prescribed SSRIs, and I upgraded to a TS/SCI after my diagnosis. I don't know how much louder DoD can shout SEEKING TREATMENT FOR DEPRESSION IS NOT AN AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFIER FOR SECURITY CLEARANCES, but apparently the message still isn't getting through because we have people in this very thread propagating the bullshit that if you get mental health treatment attaining a security clearance is impossible. For gently caress's sake, we have an entire thread about this stuff.

That said, getting IN the military with a history of depression is going to be a little more difficult, although your chances of getting a waiver through go up quite a bit if you have come off the SSRIs (enlisting/entering officer training while on SSRIs is basically impossible, for good reason) and if whoever is supervising your treatment can state that you have made progression in treatment or something similar.

Although honestly since you said you wanted to fly helicopters I would be more concerned with getting in, period, since your options are a) Air Force (have to get in to OTS with a pilot slot and then pick up a helo slot out of UPT), b) Navy (basically the same as the AF), or c) Army (either go to OTS and branch Aviation...someone who knows more than me can tell you if this is even possible, my understanding is that it does not happen very often, or go to WOFT, which from what I hear is even more impossible to get in to than OTS). All of those options have a probability of success through to completion of around maybe 1%, probably less. That's just the nature of the beast right now (all branches are fat and are trying to get rid of people, so they can afford to be really selective, all the more so for something really competitive like flying) and remember if you make it part way but don't make it all the way you will be stuck doing something else for at least a little while due to your contract...make it to AF OTS with a pilot slot but drop heavies instead of helos and end up flying C-130s or wash out of UPT and wind up as a missile officer sitting in a silo in ND, or make it through Army OTS but branch infantry instead and get to spend a couple of years running around Afghanistan getting shot at.

I'm not trying to poo poo on your plan or tell you you shouldn't pursue it, just giving you the honest reality.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I held on to my secret after seeking treatment for dysthymia, and taking Wellbutrin. Sure, the Guard Bureau put me through 8 months of hell, during which they decided to stop processing all medical waivers while revising their process, and delayed my promotion to staff by 6 months, but it all worked out in the end. Seeking treatment is not a career-ender, just prepare to get jerked around a lot.

John Cowheel
Nov 8, 2011

No matter how much you've won, no matter how many games, no matter how many championships, no matter how many Super Bowls, you're not winning now, so you stink.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

You can go back for a second degree or a graduate degree through Army ROTC. AROTC is predominately looking for STEM degrees, so that may help your chances, if you meet all of the other prerequisites.

I cannot speak for the other services.

Thank you.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
It's possible he can get a clearance, buy I very strongly doubt it. Can't hurt to try though. Just don't lie!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm going to go with go for it. Depression to me sounds like more of a barrier to entry than being granted a clearance. Just don't lie.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

It's possible he can get a clearance, buy I very strongly doubt it. Can't hurt to try though. Just don't lie!

Just outta curiosity, if your therapist has put you on antidepressants as a teenager, how does the military find out? Do they pull your records, or is it just something they ask people when they do their background check?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Oxford Comma posted:

Just outta curiosity, if your therapist has put you on antidepressants as a teenager, how does the military find out? Do they pull your records, or is it just something they ask people when they do their background check?

You're required to reveal any and all conditions up front, they pull your records anyway, and if you have a clearance investigation it'll be brought up somewhere.

Certainly, there's a chance you can hide it. But I wouldn't want to take that risk.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Oxford Comma posted:

Vasudus hit it on the head. It's possible to hide but if they find out you will never have a chance since you lied.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

iyaayas01 posted:

Bullshit. I kept a Secret with access to some other stuff after being diagnosed with depression, having suicidal ideations, and being prescribed SSRIs, and I upgraded to a TS/SCI after my diagnosis. I don't know how much louder DoD can shout SEEKING TREATMENT FOR DEPRESSION IS NOT AN AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFIER FOR SECURITY CLEARANCES, but apparently the message still isn't getting through because we have people in this very thread propagating the bullshit that if you get mental health treatment attaining a security clearance is impossible. For gently caress's sake, we have an entire thread about this stuff.

Counterpoint: Mental Health made my clearance (well, access) go bye-bye.

Second Counterpoint: I've seen instances of clearances go bye-bye in the "Seeking help is A-Okay!" era. It's not usually the CAF doing it so much as it's local authorities removing access and using that removed access to justify a reclass or discharge, which then removes the need for access/clearance and.. well yeah, that's that. Sure you could try an IG complaint, but they're not going to restore your access because that's not their bailiwick.

I'm not saying it happens a lot, in fact it is almost certainly the minority-- and having a good report with your leadership / command will all but eliminate any chance of it happening to you. But it does happen, and can happen. To pretend otherwise is ridiculous. There are far more tools that can be used to bend someone over and gently caress them than there are protections put in place by law, mandate, or regulation.

But counter-counter-point: Getting help for mental health stuff is way better than suffering to keep a clearance. Having a clearence but still being depressed/manic/crazy/suicidal whatever, is stupid-- my life is 1000% better with a clean bill of mental health and no access to classified (Retained my clearance but lost my access.)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The difference is really 'we don't want this guy to have access' vs. 'we can't trust this guy to have access'.

Your service will gently caress you for the former.

The government as a whole will gently caress you for the latter.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I'm supposed to ship out for basic training for the Army on Monday. The only problem is that, as of right now, I am underweight. I have been eating big meals everyday, with lots of chicken, bread, and other high calorie foods in hopes of gaining the weight by the 15th. Judging from how things are going there's a very real possibility I may be underweight when I get to MEPS. Is this going to gently caress me out of shipping/my contract? Google has held very mixed results, some claiming there's a waiver for it (but I doubt it considering the state of the Army right now), others saying I get 30 days to put on the weight, and more people saying I get flat out rejected and I'm a DEP loss.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I would be surprised if they send you home for underweight. Over is a different story. Just start packing your body with as much crap as you can. Peanut butter is pretty good for that. Just spoon peanut butter on bread into your mouth.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've got a dude in my platoon right now who didn't ship the first time because he was underweight, but the weasly gently caress was 20 goddamn pounds underweight.

If you are only a couple of pounds, they most likely won't care.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

How many pounds are we talking? Enough that drinking a half gallon of water and eating a huge meal wouldn't help?

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
just start drinking NO xplode blasting squats and taking tons of protein and switch to fatty red meat with gravy on all of it

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Our scale at home is pretty out of wack, but my best estimate would be no more than 5lbs underweight, and 5lbs underweight is worst case scenario. I'd say at this point I'm about 2 or 3 lbs underweight, but I'm still eating a lot.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

gently caress that, just eat the most unhealthy gigantic fast food meals possible with large milkshakes, fries, etc. maybe get some weight gainer products (mostly sugar mixed with protein to be honest) to eat between meals.

Drink a buch of liquids/eat a large meal before you go to MEPS. Don't poop.

Go to your pantry and grab a jar of peanut butter. You can do this.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
I was in the same boat thanks to a lightning fast metabolism at the time. Eat a lot of peanut butter and bananas the night before.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Ziji posted:

Our scale at home is pretty out of wack, but my best estimate would be no more than 5lbs underweight, and 5lbs underweight is worst case scenario. I'd say at this point I'm about 2 or 3 lbs underweight, but I'm still eating a lot.

Oh, yeah you'll probably be fine. I had the exact opposite problem when I shipped, I was literally four pounds over (Still, they were loving generous with what was over and I was fat as gently caress) and they weren't going to ship me until some old black dude who worked there said basic would take care of it for me. Thanks mysterious black dude!

Funny story, there was a NG split ops guy there, you know the people who do basic one summer and AIT the next. He was getting ready to ship to AIT, was super smug about having done basic, and was FOURTY POUNDS OVERWEIGHT!

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm apparently 3-4lbs away at this point, so I guess I'll probably just have to get taped or something. I'm still gonna keep eating (lots of peanut butter), but at least now I can stop worrying about getting kicked out.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
For what it is worth I shipped to boot underweight. The doctor had already left when they realized so they called him and he gave me a waiver over the phone, or something.:iiam:

I like stuff
Oct 12, 2012
From reading the last thread it was made clear that enlisting active duty with a degree is a horrible idea.

But is there any consensus here about the reserves? I'm considering joining the reserves if I can get TS/SCI and drill within a reasonable distance of the northern Virginia/DC area.

If this isn't a bad idea would it matter on what branch I joined? The talks of the Army reserve going to 7 weeks AT has me worried on how that would affect my employment opportunities, so I've been leaning Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
with regards to underweight, I had a chick I enlisted a few days ago, and she was underweight. Tipped our scales at 100 clothed. Of course at MEPs they weigh you in underwear. She ate like 15 bananas the night before she enlisted and weighed in at 103 and passed amazingly. Just anecdotal but whatever.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

with regards to underweight, I had a chick I enlisted a few days ago, and she was underweight. Tipped our scales at 100 clothed. Of course at MEPs they weigh you in underwear. She ate like 15 bananas the night before she enlisted and weighed in at 103 and passed amazingly. Just anecdotal but whatever.

High sodium and tons of water the day before might work well also.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

I like stuff posted:

If this isn't a bad idea would it matter on what branch I joined? The talks of the Army reserve going to 7 weeks AT has me worried on how that would affect my employment opportunities, so I've been leaning Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard.

The Army talking about it means there is at least a 90% chance it wont happen. Since I've joined the Army talked about :

* Replacing most armored vehicles with Stryker equivalent to include the M1A1
* OICW
* XM28
* PT Test
* Comanches I guess but gently caress
* The Paladin with the one thing
* A million other things

Don't bank on rumored army times policies and poo poo man.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

I like stuff posted:

enlisting active duty with a degree

Don't a lot of 18x people have degrees? What's their deal?

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Dude looking to gain weight for basic, do this:
1. Go to McDonalds
2. Eat two big macs, 20 piece chicken nuggets with buffalo sauce (the best sauce), two mcchickens, and a large fry. Dip the fries in the buffalo sauce, because it's good. Wash all of that down with the large drink.
3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 until you make weight.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

I like stuff posted:

From reading the last thread it was made clear that enlisting active duty with a degree is a horrible idea.

But is there any consensus here about the reserves? I'm considering joining the reserves if I can get TS/SCI and drill within a reasonable distance of the northern Virginia/DC area.

There are a lot of active duty enlistees with degrees, especially in my tech school. Getting a slot for OCS/OTS isn't the easiest thing these days.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

nuncle jimbo posted:

Don't a lot of 18x people have degrees? What's their deal?

Yeah. The two Green Berets I know both have Masters Degrees in loving Awesome.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I like stuff posted:

Find ARNG or Army reserve unit with 35 series slots. Presto.

I'm sure you can find one in NOVA of all places.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Super Camper posted:

There are a lot of active duty enlistees with degrees, especially in my tech school. Getting a slot for OCS/OTS isn't the easiest thing these days.

How does that make it not a terrible idea? A lot of my neighbors own meth labs, but that doesn't mean I should also.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Thanks to everyone who posted advice on making weight. I'm probably going to eat a poo poo ton of bananas and peanut butter later tonight (weigh in is tomorrow).

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
I'll be graduating with a chemistry/philosophy degree in May. I asked earlier about being diagnosed with depression and being eligible to fly helos. The depression was really just a phase and nothing is really "wrong" with my mental health now. I just had a rough patch in my life. Despite this I've done well in school and it's been my dream to fly since I was a kid. I know that this isn't a guarantee to get in the sky or anything so I've been looking at other things I might enjoy.

Combat medic seems to be something I would like to do. I've considered training as an EMT but I figure the Army would teach me a lot of useful skills that would look great on a resume for pharmacy/medical (or PA, nursing, etc) school down the road. I want to take a break from this academic cycle. I want to push myself to be a stronger person and learn valuable survival techniques. I know that I'll have to learn a lot as a medic, but the fact that it will be something I could implement in my job immediately just engrosses me. I'm reading a U.S. Army survival manual and a lot of parts about treating trauma are very interesting to me. I'm a good shot with a rifle,understand their cleaning/assembly, and can put rounds in a 4 inch circle from pretty far away. I don't want to kill anyone if I had to be deployed. However, the safety of my buddies and I would supersede any reservations I had.

Are there any medics that would be willing to talk with me over AIM or Skype? I'm interested in which branch I should join, what similar jobs there are, and your general experience. (I have a top 1% ASVAB score, if that matters in terms of what jobs I'm eligible for. I'll also have a chemistry/philosophy degree as well. Besides that I'm in pretty good shape and stay active. Only physical thing that sucks for me is my flat feet.)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

droey posted:

I'll be graduating with a chemistry/philosophy degree in May. I asked earlier about being diagnosed with depression and being eligible to fly helos. The depression was really just a phase and nothing is really "wrong" with my mental health now. I just had a rough patch in my life. Despite this I've done well in school and it's been my dream to fly since I was a kid. I know that this isn't a guarantee to get in the sky or anything so I've been looking at other things I might enjoy.

Combat medic seems to be something I would like to do. I've considered training as an EMT but I figure the Army would teach me a lot of useful skills that would look great on a resume for pharmacy/medical (or PA, nursing, etc) school down the road. I want to take a break from this academic cycle. I want to push myself to be a stronger person and learn valuable survival techniques. I know that I'll have to learn a lot as a medic, but the fact that it will be something I could implement in my job immediately just engrosses me. I'm reading a U.S. Army survival manual and a lot of parts about treating trauma are very interesting to me. I'm a good shot with a rifle,understand their cleaning/assembly, and can put rounds in a 4 inch circle from pretty far away. I don't want to kill anyone if I had to be deployed. However, the safety of my buddies and I would supersede any reservations I had.

Are there any medics that would be willing to talk with me over AIM or Skype? I'm interested in which branch I should join, what similar jobs there are, and your general experience. (I have a top 1% ASVAB score, if that matters in terms of what jobs I'm eligible for. I'll also have a chemistry/philosophy degree as well. Besides that I'm in pretty good shape and stay active. Only physical thing that sucks for me is my flat feet.)

Man like, this is kind of a shitpost, but you guys are so cute before you join. The military is not what you think it is at all. Also don't enlist with a degree.
Don't enlist with a degree.
Don't enlist with a degree.Don't enlist with a degree.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DO NOT ENLIST WITH A DEGREE

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Counterpoint: Enlist with a degree.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

shyguy posted:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

shyguy posted:

Counterpoint: Who loving cares what you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

• Locked thread