Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Gavrielle

Walking past the well used living room, she turns her head at odd angles to see the paper. What was being done about the child missing? Why would a child be missing? Her innocence allows her to tear herself away from the paper and be drawn into the
kitchen. She was drawn with an urge to help the poor child, but her duty prevented her from looking on. She continued on to the kitchen and sits down down with the rest of the angels.

She sits in the sparse kitchen that to gives to her the impression of being lived in and sufficient for the man's needs. It looks well lived and a new concept that enters her head, home. As she listens to man's tale she smiles at the right places and even a slight laugh escapes her lips when he mentions the wife going into labor. She considers that all beings must find the act of creation and birth a celebration as it was for them. Though her perspective was watching it, she could not imagine creating herself.

The introduction of food and tea brings her attention away from the story momentarily, the sugar was curious as well. She understand and knew what it was, and how to use it. She adds spoonful after spoonful into the cup, until she decides that is enough, three seemed to be right for some reason, before turning her attention to the jelly. Knowledge formed in her mind that it was composed of berries which she desired above all to have at the moment. She put way to much jelly on the bread and unconsciously licked her lips as she did.

Looking up from her toast to set the jelly back where it was supposed to go, she sees the language of the man's body change and she arches her eyebrows in concern. She reacts to what the man said when her eyes blazing with anger, her shoulders rolling back. Flames literally start to show in her eyes, until the man talks about the children, at which point the flames are extinguished and instead replaced by a stream of tears.

She gives a wary smile at the man and reaches out to touch his hand. Her hand lays over the man's own and she gives a warm smile. "They are with the Almighty now. There is no need to fear they aren't. Judgment for the innocent is never difficult. Know that." She gives a brighter smile and wipes the tears from her eyes.

She gives his hand a squeeze before releasing it and taking a sip of hot tea. It is bitter though the sweet dulls it a bit. Flavor was a new sensation as was the texture of the water and heat. Mimicking the Father as he drinks his own. She found it unnaturally pleasant. These physical sensations were very strange to the angel, use to only spiritual fulfillment, she wonders warily at the possibility of becoming addicted to such a sensation. She takes the toast and clumsily takes a bite of it. The berry jelly tastes as good as she had hoped, and though it was not what her body told her a strawberry was, it seemed to satisfy the craving.

Her attention shifts to the Fathers comment about the world, her head thinking on the idea that it was complicated. She did know that there was talk of the angels that the world was such things, but she had never seen it or looked for it. Her eyes were always to the heavens to protect the Throne and serve as his chariot.

She thought a moment before saying "The end times are neigh. We come to help." She looks around at the other angels. "Darkness and Violence will yield before the Almighty's Love. Your Faith helped those people in ways that I suppose are unfathomable to one of flesh, but loss and pain will come to an end soon for all." She gives a very sweet and innocent smile.

"I wish that we could have been there to prevent it. I have not seen nor experienced the suffering of the righteous." She looks down and is filled with a new emotion, regret for not doing something. It is a feeling she does not enjoy at all, but cannot shake from the man's story.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Kushiel

"Judgement of the wicked is swift. The punishment they receive at my hand worse then any mortal could comprehend. No perpetrator of mortal evil lives forever and then they receive punishment due. My wrath is especially dire for those who would make the innocent suffer. Now that I am here, I can visit retribution on those with evil in their hearts." Kushiel reaches for the cup of tea. The sting of the boiling water hurts his fingers, but Kushiel welcomes the pain. As one who inflicts pain, Kushiel welcomed the unpleasant sensation. The heat also reminded him of the realm of punishment where unrepentant sinners languished. He found the sensation enjoyable for reasons he couldn't quite comprehend. Taking a sip of the tea, he focused on the combination of heat and water. The bitter taste was to his liking as well.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
The priest nods his head as he listens. "The creator has a funny way of showing his love sometimes is all," he says with a little shake of his head. It's not all that difficult to see that after what happened to him he never quite managed to get over it. He almost spoke up as the third teaspoon full of sugar was heaped into the mug by the angel who was, so far, proving to be probably the sweetest one out of the lot of them. He looks over at Kushiel and smiles, "Retribution is okay but you'd probably have to deal with the police," he says before realizing that if the world really is something to an end that law enforcement might not be a priority.

"You can't just go around smiting everyone you meet, I mean. There has to be some leeway," he says quietly. "I mean, smaller misbehavior probably shouldn't be punished that harshly, right? I mean, I'm not going to tell you how to do your job. I'm mostly just going to stay here and make sure there's a base of operations for you all," he says, figuring that's his role in all of this. "Of course if you were interested in stepping out and trying to knock some heads then there's plenty of people that certainly have it coming. There's someone out there that's kidnapping children," he says before glancing down at his cup of tea. "There's loan sharks, murderers who've gotten away with it on technicalities and more. I still don't understand what you're here for though," he says starting to be a little more honest than maybe he should be. "Why this city? Why not somewhere else? Are you the only ones that were sent ahead? Surely if the world is going to end God would want to send more angels to lay the ground work? I mean... why wouldn't the world just end? After all, if judgement is going to happen then why shouldn't it just get started. Are you expected to somehow convince everyone on the planet to drop their grudges, guns and pick up a plow and start going to worship? How much impact could you have in one city?"

Maybe it's just the new bodies but... What's that feeling? It's in the pit of your stomach. Is this what doubt feels like?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Adnachiel

"As much impact as it takes. As much as we can do and inspire others to do as well."

Meeting the man's eyes, Adnachiel answers immediately without wavering in the slightest. Warmed from the tea and debate, he places his hands on the countertop in front of him and states gravely.

"We do what we must, because we can. We do so at the behest of the Creator and strive towards making a better world for you, even if it were to all end tomorrow. I think now is as good a time as any to begin. Do any of you have plans or purposes of your own to enact?"

I'm not super into hunting down a kidnapper, but are any of you interested in doing so? I sort of had a tenuous agenda but it's not a super big deal for me to do it now or later.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Urim

Urim struggles to find the right balance of sugar in her tea, adding too little, then too much, then diluting back. She notices she's drunk two cups in the process of getting it right while the others are working on their first. Its warmth was spreading all the way to her toes, though, and it seems like the work was worth it.

She nods as Adnachiel speaks. "Surely, Father, you would agree there is work to do. As there always has. I do not think we have been sent as heralds or key-masters... I am sorry, but we have no list of tasks or people to vanquish. There are forces at work here that must be fought, and we may find it IS easy in some cases. There is little more to do than trust God, and take up our plow."

She sighs, leaning back in her chair. "You have many questions, and we have few answers." She shrugs, and when she speaks, her voice carries a shred of helplessness. "Why NOT this city? Why NOT now? Are you saying you or I could plan an apocalypse better than the Creator of the world?"

It seems like a good starting mission - but I am up for whatever!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Gavrielle

The question comes at just the moment she is taking another bite from her toast. She chews it feeling that it wouldn't be easy to speak with her mouth indisposed. She listens to the other Angels and gives a approving glance. She had judged the Angels of Heaven and they at least knew their task and duty. She does think to herself why the path was so obscure for them, while she had looked over the heavens, she had never seen something that brought so many questions. Why were they not foretold by a prophet? Why did the Almighty not entrust them with the path to leading them to the end of the world and coming of the kingdom of heaven?

The hollow pain of doubt in the angel echoed through her. Questions she had always many as was her purpose, though only one to her creator. This was another one, and though she did not speak it, she expected another dramatic effect as had happened before. Her eyes look up instinctively but upon finding nothing she continues with her toast and gives a half hearted shrug. To be so far away that The Almighty could not even sense her presence or hear her song was very disconcerting and sad to the angel.

Finally swallowing her food, she adds to the conversation, "An angel coming is enough to change the course of the world. As it was written. So many of us? I fear that we might have too many." She gives a sincere smile and squashes the doubt down within. She looks across at the Father, wondering if he realizes that he as all those chosen. The difference is that they did not have a task to give him, instead a direct heavenly hand would interject upon his behalf. He had a point that she turned over in her head. Where would they start in a world so chaotic?

"We must start somewhere though, and from there it will lead us to our path." She nods to the others taking a sip of tea.

I'm okay looking into the subject of the little girl kidnapper first. We could intermix it with an agenda at the same time, unless it takes all of us to investigate. I imagine that the headlines might start forcing a few of us to have self control rolls to not help soon. If not, then well, I'm okay with any other ideas people have.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 7, 2012

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kushiel

"The world is full of wicked people. I know this too well. Far too much sin for me to deal with on this mortal plane. Many sins are minor. Those sinners should be allowed to ask for forgiveness of their sins. If they are truly repentant, then they will not feel my lash. Other should fear my wrath." Kushiel took a sip of tea to think about the problem with police.

"I will allow police to do their job. It is not my place to disrupt their role in society. They too seek to punish wrong doers. I feel that we have similar roles. However those who deserve righteous punishment will receive it from me. There are some who should not escape punishment. This kidnapper of children. This person or person deserves whatever punishment I am able to deliver upon them. Harming children is especially heinous. I would like to pursue this. First however, I would like clothes and other accoutrements. Our current state of dress is, I think, insufficient."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"There are plenty of men and women that have planned their own apocalypses at one point or another," he says to Urim. He was, for example, a young man during the dark times when Russia and America squared off against each other over a small island fifty miles off the coast of Florida. He was an older man when a group of psychopaths gunned the engines and pulled a hard left. He was an old man when the land he'd called home for so many years began to pull itself apart.

He looks over at Gavrielle and nods his head a couple of times, feeling that there's nothing more that he can say the woman. She is deeply beautiful but there's a gentle sense of naivety to her that almost seems to border on slightly slow off the mark. She sounds whip sharp when she speaks. He perks a little as he looks to Kushiel. "Oh! Right," he says. "Well there's a megastore a couple of blocks from here. They sell everything," he says with a slight smile. "Everything from baby food to assault rifles." He stands. "I did take time to stock up on the essentials. You'll find long-boxes in your bedrooms," he says. He gives a smirk. "And that's my office so no... getting to know each others new bodies," he says pointing at the angels.

Bear Enthusiast has 24 hours to post or I am casting him out of this thread and replacing him with someone that'll post.

As for the kidnapping plot it's not a thing I'm dead set on. Additionally it's not something that's vital - you can, if you want, just get in a car and drive around the city. A lot of things can happen when you go looking for trouble. Never know who you might meet.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kushiel

"Getting to know our bodies? What strange talk is this? I know of my body right now and I find that I know enough about it. It is a vulgar vessel for me." Not caring too much about getting an explanation, Kushiel focused on other matters. "Yes, clothing would be good. Weapons will come in handy. If nothing else, then I desire the tool of my trade. A good whip."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Bear Enthusiast you're out.

Colonel Wood, you're in.

Sion fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 10, 2012

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Adnachiel

"I think he may be referring to us getting to know each others bodies. Which I am also uncertain of the need of. I admit, I am not as familiar with the intricacies of flesh as some of you may be. Does your form contain any particular functions or mysteries which we should be privy to Kushiel?"

Adnachiel surveys the other angel's form, craning his head and looking it over speculatively.

"I do not require armaments at this time, Father Burke. The task which I have in mind does not require them although I have been experiencing a persistent sensation of... discomfort."

He rubs his arms experimentally, shivering slightly at the memory of the cold outdoors.

"My body is cold. It is far too cold here for my liking."

FYI I'm actually slightly cold blooded. It's weird but I guess my angel's body just doesn't handle being apart from the Presence very well in terms of being susceptible to chillblains. I'm fine with tagging along if someone wants to start us off on some lost child finding, but tbqh I've no clue how to start in on such a search myself and was hoping to wander around looking for trouble.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Zachariel

Zachariel slowly eats a corner of the toast smeared awkwardly with jam and butter, his attention fixated on the articles. His piecing blue eyes examine the words on the paper, his finger tracing them as he reads about the missing children. He taps the article as he finishes, sucking in a deep breathing through his nose and looking up at the others. "We must find this child." He says flatly, scanning them, then glancing back at the priest. "For those who harm children shall be punished and sent to Him for judgement." An icy tone pervades his voice as he finishes his statement. "Do you agree?"

Sense of Duty: Children, Vow: Punish those who warm Children

pre:
Name: Zachariel
Race: Seraphim

Attributes [288]
ST 14 [40]
DX 15 [100]
IQ 14 [80]
HT 14 [40]

HP 18 [8]
Will 16 [10]
Per 16 [10]
FP 14

Basic Lift 39
Damage 1d/2d

Basic Speed 7.25
Basic Move 7

Ground Move 7
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 7 [0]
Cultural Familiarities: 
Languages: Adamic (Native/Native) [0]; English (Native/Native) [6].

Advantages [206]
Ambidexterity [5]
Appearance (Very Beautiful) [16]
Innate Burning Attack (2)/Large Piercing Attack (2) "Aequitas"- Holy Revolver 
(Follow-Up (+1); Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Thief must win a Quick Contest of DX or ST; 
Rapid Fire (RoF 3); Extra Recoil (Rcl 2)) [25]
Close to Heaven [10]
	- +1 to Exorcism, Meditation, Religious Ritual and Theology (note: does not
	  bestow skill points - if you don’t take supplemental skill points you’ll 
	  have +1 to your default)
	- +1 to reaction bonuses with Members of the Clergy.
	- Hidden Lore (Demons) IQ/Av IQ+0 [2]
	- Hidden Lore (The Secrets Of Heaven) IQ/Av IQ+0 [2]
	- Occultism IQ/Av IQ+0 [2]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Detect (Detect Evil Supernatural Beings) (Occasional) [10]
- Take a vague impression on the focus of great evil in your general area.
	  1 KM or 6 Block radius - whichever is more interesting and useful to the
game at that time I guess.
	- When you’re in line of sight with the Evil Supernatural Being you see
through their disguise to find their true nature.
Gunslinger [25]
Hard to Kill (2) [4]
Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30]
Patrons (CLERGY) (1) [5]
	- Local Clergy			
	- Will set you up with a place to stay, tend to wounds, help in ways that 
a priest can.
	- May supply you with some gear and equipment. Likely nothing lethal.
Rank (Angelic Rank) (3) [15]
Regeneration (Regular: 1HP/Hr) [25]
Very Fit [15]
	- +2 to all HT rolls to stay conscious, avoid death, resist disease or poison.
	- Recover FP at twice normal rate
	- Lose FP at half normal rate
Perks [1]
Shtick (Wings) [1]
	- Can hide wings under clothes thicker than a T-shirt
	- Sudden revelation of wings give +2 to influence roll on religious people.
	- Sudden revelation of wings give +1 to intimidation roll when in subjects presence for first time.
Disadvantages [-120]
Code of Honor (Angelic) (-2) [-10]
	- Never lie to the Clergy or your fellow Angels
	- Anything you swear to God to do must be done
	- Do not take the Lords name in vain
	- Keep the secrets of Heaven safe.
	- Enforce the will of God.
Destiny (God works in Mysterious Ways) (Great) [-15]
Duty                                    [-20]
- All the Time
	- Extremely Hazardous
	- Defend humanity from The Darkness, The Destroyer and The Tempter
Enemy (The Darkness, The Destroyer, and the Tempter) (utterly formidable group) (9
or less) [-40]
Fanaticism (The Mission to Save Humanity) [-15]
Nightmares [-10]
	- Your exit from heaven
	- Earth is a very cold, desolate and lonely place after being in heaven.
	- Functions as Flashbacks
	- Roll once per day
	- 12 or less and you dreamt of home.
	- Stat penalties are -1 for first two hours of wakefulness. 
Destiny						[-15]
Sense of Duty (Children) (Large Group) [-10]
Vow (Punish those who sin against Children) [-10]

Quirks [-5]
Allergic to Alcohol [-1]
Haunting/Piercing Eyes [-1]
Intolerant of Addicts [-1]
New at this [-1]
- You’re not used to this whole physical-form thing. Everything seemed so much
easier when you didn’t have to eat, sleep and didn’t have free will. 
Tobacco Chewer [-1]

Skills [78]
Administration            IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Armoury (Small Arms)      IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Brawling                  DX/E - DX+2 17 [4]
Broadsword                DX/A - DX+1 16 [4]
Climbing                  DX/A - DX-1 14 [1]
Detect Lies               Per/H-Per+0 16 [4]
Diplomacy                 IQ/H - IQ+0 14 [4]
Driving/TL8 (Automobile)  DX/A - DX-1 14 [1]
Exorcism                 Will/H-Will+0 16 [2]
(+1 from Close to Heaven)
Fast-Draw (Pistol)        DX/E - DX+2 17 [2]
	includes: +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'
Guns/Tl8 (Rifle)          DX/E - DX+2 17 [4]
Hidden Lore (Demon Lore)  IQ/A - IQ+2 16 [4]
(Includes skill points from Close to Heaven)
Hidden Lore (Secrets Of Heaven) IQ/Av - IQ+0 [2]
Holdout                   IQ/Av - IQ+0 [2]
Innate Attack             DX/E - DX+3 18 [8]
Interrogation             IQ/A - IQ+1 15 [4]
Intimidation             Will/A-Will+0 16[2]
Leadership                IQ/A - IQ+1 15 [4]
Observation               Per/A-Per+1 17 [4]
Occultism                 IQ/A - IQ+2 16 [4]
(Includes skill points from Close to Heaven)
Religious Ritual          IQ/H - IQ+0 14 [2]
Search                    Per/A - Per+1 17[4]
Singing                   HT/E - HT+0 14 [1]
Soldier                   IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Stealth                   DX/A - DX+1 16 [4]
Streetwise                IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Swimming                  HT/E - HT+0 14 [1]
Tactics                   IQ/H - IQ+0 14 [4]
Theology (Christianity)   IQ/H - IQ-1 14 [2]
Tracking                  Per/A-Per+1 17 [4]
Urban Survival            Per/A-Per+0 16 [2]
Wrestling                 DX/A - DX+1 16 [4]

Stats [288] Ads [206] Disads [-130] Quirks [-5] Skills [90] = Total [450]

Hand Weapons

Ranged Weapons
Aequitas- Holy Revolver (Innate attack)
Acc. 3, Rcl 2, Range 100, ROF 3, 2d pi+ 2d burn

Bulletproof Vest  DR 6, Cost $750, Weight 8
Clothes
Winter clothes
Mini Flashlight
Smartphone 
Binoculars
Crowbar
Undercover Holster +1 Holdout $125, 1 lb.
Personal basics
Toiletries
Backpack
Reinforced Boots DR 5/2 Cost $75 Weight 3
Winter clothes

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 12, 2012

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Should we just pretend that Colonel Wood was there all along instead of Bear Enthusiast?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Gavrielle

"Clothes sound wonderful, thank you." She gives a bright smile to the father and looks around as she sips at her tea. She silently wonders about the need for the draping and clothing and how it obstructs the view, and considers the cold and darkness as the need for them. Her ears perk up as weapons are mentioned, and the thought of combat had been on her mind for a while. She knew that her role was to fight and protect, the stakes were as high as they were before, but she was going to be attacking not defending. This gave her new stomach an uneasy feeling.

"Weapons and baby goods, Destruction and Creation provided for in the same place." She looks aside for a moment before finishing her toast. "Is it not, almost prophetic?" She gives a slight smile to the other angels, and nods to the father. The Almighty had plans for the man and she would listen carefully.

The crude joke, however, did not register on her at all. She looks down and curiously exams herself. "Do we not know them now? I would not want to seem unnatural among the mortals. I agree we should not neglect the young. We should go forth and help however we can. I imagine that it is not right to fly in front of mortals?"

Thats what I plan to do, I think of it like supernatural angels where they poof in and out of existence without notice.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 10, 2012

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim

"Perhaps some have played at great changes or considered their massive harm to be of great benefit to the world. But these things are not a true apocalypse. The nature of your existence will change. Mankind will cease to exist, at least in a material form. This is not an end, this is change, a fundamental change, in the very nature of the world."

She looks at Adnachiel. "I feel as if I need to get settled, as well. I am new to too many things."

Urim would like to prep some space for rituals and whatnot, but that's probably just 'downtime'.

Can we cruise over to the street where the last child disappeared? Even if we don't find anything it would be a place to start and maybe something can find us.

Straight up replacement is fine with me. Maybe Colonel Wood wants to post his 'landing' like we did.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kushiel

"What a sordid notion. I might have the appearance of a mortal, but I have no desire to be like them." Kushiel responded with a cold indifference. "I would like to find out what happened to this child as well, but there are necessities to attend to first."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Adnachiel

"It may be best for us to divide our efforts for the time being. I agree with Zachariel that it is our duty to act in this instance, but from a practical standpoint I think all of us simultaneously bringing our talents to bear upon it may prove to be a bit excessive and awkward."

Bodily investigations notwithstanding, Adnachiel moves towards the indicated room and aforementioned box.

"Having taken food and drink, let us first see what other preparations may be had before we set out. I have a plan, but am still uncertain as to how I shall carry it out."

It might be better for us if we split up some, since clowncar-ing ourselves into the van again and into social or investigative situations may be a bit odd. For now INVESTIGATE BOX, INVESTIGATE EACH OTHERS BODIES MORE TEA. If you want to prep for space Twobirds, I can hang around with you for a bit since I'm going to be poking around in the box that Father Burke left for me anyway.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

The priests attempt at fairly bawdy, low-rent humor goes right past most of the angels' radar screens. The only ones that do register that there was a double meaning to the expression quickly teaches the priest that they are either sorely not in the mood for joking or they don't appear to be capable of doing anything other than scowl. He clears his throat before shaking his head to Gavrielle. "It's not prophetic," he says. "When you see the place you'll realize that it's about as far away from prophetic as it's possible to get. It's all about capitalism," he says, just a hint of the Irish tone coming to the fore, the great socialists of Europe clearly holding just a little sway over this man. "We like things to be in easy reach. Humans are creatures of comfort. Great nobility when it's called for but stirring us to action, especially in the face of shapeless and formless problems that we can't understand, is very difficult. I have the humility to admit that."

Honestly I think the best way forwards might be to ignore that Bear Enthusiast was ever here. He posted once and even then it wasn't really that spectacular a contribution.

It's night time in the game. If you want to step out and start searching now you can. I think, maybe, going during the day would work better since there's less justification stretching involved in there being people around, stores open. You can consider your inventories stocked as you listed them in your sheets too, by the way. Just to get some momentum building and all that.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Gavrielle

She appears a little sad that the father was not a prophet, though she imagined that the messenger could have told them directly. This does not dissipate her smile, however, instead she focuses on on the word capitalism. She had heard of such a thing from the other choirs and did not understand the appeal. Capitalism seemed like a bureaucracy of greed, and greed was the path of the Tempter. She bit her tongue, hearing things second and third hand was not proof of damnation, but she would be wary of these things. She pours herself more tea, and continues sipping it. The sugary flavor almost disappearing and yielding a more natural earthy tone to her tea. She decided that she enjoyed this better than the previous attempt and made note of it.

"This capitalism, I have heard echoes of it being talked down." She nods to the father very kindly, "I have not seen it though."

She looks to Adnachiel and nods. "It might be best, though there appeared few people at night that I saw, I would like to prepare and then we can go. If any of you tire, then we can have respite until the morning light." She looks over to the father and asks, "Father, I do not sleep, but I know of books. Do you have any that I might read while they do?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kushiel

Deciding not to waste time, Kushiel crams the rest of the toast into his mouth and washes it down with tea. He found standing around and talking becoming a wasteful endeavor. He had no desire to waste his time on unimportant tasks. He goes into the other room and goes through the box. As he prepares himself, he speaks up to the others.

"Capitalism! Bah, such a horrible notion. To think that those who follow the earthly prophets would believe that capitalism and the religion of the Almighty go hand in hand. What foolish thinking. Its as if they want to hide their vices with the paint of religious respectability! It is on par with taking the Lord's name in vain."

Kushiel stops talking as he dresses. When he is finished dressing, he speaks again.

"Father, my compliments on what you have selected for me. You overwhelm me with your efforts."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Gavrielle

She blinks at Kushiel's revelation and looks at the Father. "Is it true, do they say that this is the Word?" She cringes and looks at him with a completely transformed face. Her face stoic and stern her eyes once again blazing almost literally. The corruption of the Word was the most unholy of things known to her.

"They will be judged... harshly." She says with grim determination. Seeing Kushiel go in the other room to dress she waits for him. The father seemed to worry that they would attempt explore each other and she would rather not cause the man more grief. Her righteous fury slowly dies down, her eyes still glowing slightly from her anger.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I can do you better than books," says the priest thinking of the television in the living room. God only knows what an angel will make of Late Night TV in this city but it might do them some good. The exposure to the issues, keeping the world at arms length even while being able to see everything. He lets Kushiel out of the room only to hear the angel return a short while later spitting and about to enter a rousing blast of La Internationale. "Well, I'm not that much of a fan of its worst excesses but it's the best we can come up with at the moment. It's the best that's proven to be workable, I mean," he says.

"You need money to exchange for goods and services. Money is a representation of what we believe something is worth," he says slowly and calmly. "If the judgement of people is going to be harsh for taking the name in vain then I think your work here might be a lot quicker than you think it is. I can't think of a single person that's not expressed themselves vocally after stubbing their toe at three in the morning to answer a wrong number. People aren't bad though... we've just got different standards of conduct than I think you're used to. That's how free will works, I guess. I'm sure you'll all get to know it sooner or later."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Gavrielle

"The Name in vain, would not be judged so harshly, though it shows disrespect. To say that the Almighty would endorse Greed. That is something that one might call a false prophet. There is but one punishment for that." She stands nodding to the father, seeing the room empty as Kushiel emerges from it, she stands.

"I, however, have not seen it happen. I am sure that we will have to deal with it soon enough. Father, I will go change." She goes into the room and quickly dresses and equips herself. She appears to have a small armory on her back and she bares it without even a thought.

"You have done expertly, Father. Though you have peaked my curiosity on what is better than a book. We will have to see that when the time is right." She gives a bright smile to the man, giving the impression that stories or something better than books would be involved that night.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

With everyone equipped and readied there is a startling feeling washing over some of the angels. The sense of elasticity in muscle and joint is beginning to fade and the feeling of weariness is beginning to descend on the travelers. They discuss with the Priest a while more, talking on the nature of the universe, the nature of man and find themselves surrounded and in a world that's far stranger than they'd been prepared. The night wears on and the Angels head to sleep.

The next morning, bright and early, the Priest is in. "Up and at 'em, Choir!" he calls. "It's ten thirty and I've already said mass this morning." Ten Thirty? Is that a late time for waking up? "Shower, dress and meet me at the front door in twenty minutes. I'm taking you all for an all-day breakfast," he calls. "You need a good breakfast and then you can do anything."

Sorry about the jump forwards. I got the feeling it might have been needed.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Gavrielle

She had spent the entire night watching infomercials and other late night TV. It seemed all so meaningless advertising each thing going to make everything better, the few movies she had watched made it a little better. After a while though it seemed to be all blur together as she seemed to be more antsy then everything else. She had gone into her room and rested her body on the blanket, but no sleep had come nor would it ever. After all she was formed to guard the throne on high. To see all that came toward the Almighty. It did give a lot of time to consider and work over the plight of the humans in her head, however and she decided that she would have to see the plight of the mortals before judging.

The movies had not helped her opinion of them, dripping with violence, temptation and greed. She had not understood some parts though she assumed that was because she did not share in all of their desires. That was fine with her at the moment, though unlike Kushiel she did not loath the physical form, but rather did not know what to make of it. The Father entered the room and interrupted her thoughts with his bellowing to which she sat up.

"Mmm I must of lost track of time thinking. I am already showered and ready." She smiles, not having to sleep had allowed her to prepare meticulously for morning. She dons her felt hat and overcoat as she walked to the door. She had seen such a hat in the movies last night and felt good wearing it. Though the difference in gender was lost on the angel.

Gavrielle stood by the door leaning against the frame and asks the father a question that she had wondered last night. "Father, what do you feel about this world? It seems full of violence and greed to me."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kushiel

Finding sleep became a hard endeavor for the angel. Instead of sleeping, he spent the time learning about humanity and especially the humanity that inhabited the city. In time sleep found him. He fell asleep watching T.V. and was so until the priest woke him.

"I believe I am hungry again. After I eat, I shall go out into the world to begin to inquire about the missing child." Kushiel wandered into the kitchen to find something to eat.

I'm assuming we don't have to carry all our gear around. Kushiel doesn't want to fully arm up if there's no reason to do so.

Here's what he's going to have on him for now:

Ordinary Clothing (p. HT63) [Torso, Limbs]. Status 1. 1 lb.
Belt (p. HT31) [Torso]. neg.
Expensive Boots (p. HT68) [Feet]. DR 2*. $160, 2 lbs.
Expensive Leather Gloves (p. B284) [Hands]. DR 2*. $60, neg.
Expensive Personal Basics (p. B288) [Clothing].0.66 lb.
Expensive Multi-Tool (p. HT26) [Clothing] 0.5 lb.
Notebook, Pencil, and Chalk (p. HT17) [Clothing]. 0.1 lb.
Cellular Phone With Digital Camera (p. HT39) [Clothing].0.5 lb.
Gadget Wristwatch With Compass and Thermometer (p. HT32) [Wrist]. neg.
Messenger bag (p. HT54) [Sling]. Carries 10 lbs. $10, 0.5 lb.
Small Tactical Light (p. HT52) [Waist Pack]. 0.25 lb.
Duct Tape (p. HT26) [Waist Pack]. 60-yard. 2 lbs.
Coat, Long Leather arms, legs, torso 1* 10
Ballistic Sunglasses [Eyes]. DR 4. neg.
Very Fine Titanium Trench Knife (p. HT198, 200) Dmg sw cut or thr+2 imp or thr cr with Brawling. Includes 0.5 lb. sheath. 1.13 lbs.
Kahr K40, .40 S&W Dam: 2d+1 pi+ ACC: 1 Range: 140/1,600 WT: 1.9/0.4 RoF:3
Shots: 6+1(3) Bulk: -1
14 rounds
2nd magazine
Undercover holster
Whip sw-2(0.5) cr 1-7* -2U 2/yd. var.

Not carried currently:
Magnum BFR,
.45-70 Springfield Dam: 4d+2 pi+ Acc: 3 Range:280/3,000 Wt: 4.6/0.43 RoF: 1 Shots: 5(2i) ST: 12 Bulk: -3
belt holster
Armor-Piercing Discarding-Sabot Depleted Uranium (APDSDU) rounds Quadruple CPS. 10 rounds
Regular rounds 20
2 Speedloaders
Advanced Body Armor location: torso DR: 35/5* Cost: $4,600 wt: 17

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim

Urim had spent part of the night looking through the pile of clothes and talking intermittently with Adnachiel. The elements of life on Earth were returning to her, fragments of conversations with those she was tasked with speaking with, and those whose voices wound their way to Heaven and were not ignored. It was startling to have to carry all knowledge of all these details of life in one's head all day. Existence was much, much simpler in Heaven - things like shirt buttons and steps and the proper way to use soap and uncomfortable sleeping positions were simply irrelevant. Hopefully no one would think the group a pack of fools while they were in public places.

The next morning, Urim sits bolt upright in bed, mortified that she had slept in so late. It seemed like a terrible mistake to make, and she hurries to wash the previous day's grime away and find a set of clothes to wear.

"I am ready too," she says, walking up to the front door in the middle of twisting around a shirt she had put on backwards, without taking it off. "Are we going someplace crowded? I would like to just observe for a while, if that's possible."

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Zachariel

Zachariel nods to the others, having fallen asleep in front of the TV with Kushiel. He stretching his neck from side to side. "Who would have thought these bodies would be so confining?" He asked, to no one in particular. He checks his gear and goes to meet the father at the door. "This...break fast shall satiate us. Then we must begin our search for the missing child."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

All the knowledge of waking and rising and attending to various situations left the angels gathered by the front door soon after the appointed time. Burke walked out with them and opened the door out of his small house and into the daylight. It's already starting to get warm in this part of town; that strange, sickly sweet sort of heat that you get in reclaimed swamp land. Jackets seem heavy and shirts quickly begin to cling to skin, even considering the rather sanitized flesh that the angels have been made to wear.

"There'll be plenty of people for you to watch, Urim," says Burke as he heads over to the car. "Trust me. You'll like this," he says, thinking about the all day breakfast that Cathy's offers. It's just a block away but he's driving because... well, keeping an eye on a gaggle (is gaggle the right word?) of angels new to earth could be more of a challenge than he's ready for.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Gavrielle

Walking behind the father she looks around the area with supernatural ability, with new thing catching her attention. The sheer number of things just around her seemed to almost overwhelm the angel, but watching was in her nature and she adapted quickly to having a physical form to overwhelm. She walks over to the car and rolls her shoulders, her wings were fatigued from being unused. She wistfully looks at the air wishing that she could fly instead of this constant shaky motion that existed while in the car.

"I must ask, when we could... exercise?" She motions to the air with a quick smile and a meaningful face at Father.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 12, 2012

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Adnachiel

Stretching his long limbs and basking in the sticky heat of the new day, Adnachiel beams upwards at the Sun in the sky.

"Truly if ever you were to ask for evidence of God's love for Mankind, one would need look no further than the gem of the world itself for proof. As for exercise..."

Adnachiel takes a deep breath, stands firmly with his hands on his hips and sings out a rich, clear note, celebrating the rising day and the work ahead. Only when the last reverbrations are done does he file quietly and carefully into the vehicle.

Hi there! Sorry about the delay, busy at work atm and didn't want to poop out a one-liner post. For now though I'll sing out loud, like a rooster, happy to see the coming day. And then I'll go quietly into the car like everybody else because early morning Walmart is sure to be it's own trial and tribulation.

Think I've got Singing 17, just like a rooster!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim

"The night flees, and the dawn comes," Urim says, stepping outside and following the others. The sun felt wonderful, the city looked completely different in this light. "You are full of surprises, Father. And a bit of mystery."

Not taking much stuff, but am taking multitool and notebook.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"Well I like to keep people guessing," he says. "I mean, if the world really is going to come to an end then you might as well start doing those things that you wanted to do all along, right?" he says before turning the key in the ignition as the car splutters into life. "Within reason, of course."

The sun's light and heat are broken up occasionally by large, fluffy looking white clouds. You remember Heaven for a moment and looking up - everywhere you went, from the Fields of the Joyful Dead where the souls of the beloved departed were placed to live out an eternity of joy and love to the Hall of Records where the sum total of all knowledge on all things was stored - everything thought ever had, every hair on every head counted and commented on. In Heaven the walls are made from an ethereal crystal that hums when you get too close. You don't walk places as much as you just move and those places get closer. There's a constant warm feeling of being in the arms of love itself and high up in the furthest reaches of Heaven lays the Machinery of the Universe - the most complicated machine in creation as it is creation its self. The Machinists operate the Machinery of the Universe - secretive even by the orders of Angels, they make atoms spin, stars burn and gravity pull.

Down here everything is brick, mortar and concrete. The Priest drives with all of you through the town where you can see the decay at the heart of it - the great hum of humanity. Some of them are smiling, some of them seem angry and upset, some of them seem like they're recovering from the night before. None of them seem blissful but they all seem like they're doing something. Never idle and never just taking a moment to think about the glory of creation. Mothers walk with children, husbands walk with wives and angels sit in the back of cars heading towards a Greasy Spoon on what looks like the high street of this particular district - semi-residential but mostly commercial. Low, three floor buildings line both sides of the street. At the south end of the block there's a large drinking establishment and night club called The Crown. Pizza shops, pawn shops and low end convenience stores run up and down the length of it. It's a thin road, two lanes right down the middle of the street with loading-and-unloading spaces to go with it.

The car pulls up outside a small, glass fronted place with a long black sign over it with CATHYS written in white paint. Very quaint. There's a little sandwich board out front that's had the daily deals chalked onto it - 'Full breakfast - $7.99', 'Coffee to go and stay' - Inside there are tables that have white and red checkered table cloths with bottles of red stuff, glasses of black stuff, white stuff and piles of napkins sitting in the middle of them. At the far end of the room there's a bar with a till and two plates of food piled high.

There's also a feeling in the angels.

Watch out. There's a demon about.

X-com's one hell of a drug.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Adnachiel

"By the prickling of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes..."

Adnachiel laughs quietly to himself, recalling the words of a man far and away in another place. He winks at the other angels as he slides out of the vehicle ahead of them.

"Let's see if the Enemy has anything to say to Love. Watch me, my friends, and watch for those who do in the event that they take offense."

Clothed against the cold world and dark skin aglow in the morning sun Adnachiel strums the secondhand guitar, gently as first, but with increasing volume as he walks slowly down the street and catches his beat. Grinning widely he raises his voice and calls out loudly a song, joyously of laughter and love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO6D_BAuYCI

Hello all! In the absence of a clever plan my clever plan is to be bloody obvious and see if I can't bait out an attack or reaction from the aforementioned demonic presence or mortal accomplices. Either way I'm going to be a distraction and hopefully someone else clever can watch and search or unleash the bright fury of the Lord after I get shot at. The way I figure it, if I get shot at it makes our reaction as a group very obvious and simple. If not, then further intelligence may be gleaned about the opposition and their objectives via the nature of their reaction to my explicit presence and activity.

Really tbh the only gear I need are warm clothes, a change of socks, and some musical instrumental bits. If I could just nip on over to a goodwill someplace and grab a few things along the way I'm satisfied with calling it all said and done.

1 Warm Sweater
1 Khaki pants
2 pairs warm socks
1 pair gloves
1 secondhand guitar

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Burke feels both his eyebrows rise up quickly as he sees Adnachiel step out of the vehicle and start walking down the street. "The Enemy?" he asks. "Where is he- What's he talking about?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kushiel

Having left his heavy overcoat in the vehicle, Kushiel continued to wear the sports jacket. The heat reminded him of the mortal's conception of Hell. If only they knew what awaited them in the realm of punishment. The sports jacket hid his Kahr and he kept the rest of his 'tools' in the messenger bag. Sensing the presence of demon, he looked at the place called 'Cathy's', it seemed like it would be the likely source of the feeling.

"I think I shall have some of the drink mortals once claimed to be sinful. An absurd notion. To think that the Almighty would say what one can and can't drink."

Kushiel focused on 'Cathy's' and ignored the priest's question.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Gavrielle

She is deflated by the priest not understanding her need to stretch her wings, and instead climbs into the car. As it travels into the heart of the wounded city, She looks to the clouds in blissful memory thinking of how glorious that warm was on her... not skin, but it is odd she would go to that metaphor. These trappings did seem to focus on the mundane for sure. She turns her gaze to the city streets and watches the people with curiosity, wondering exactly what purpose they were up too and why the work itself did not give them bliss and pleasure beyond measure. She remains mostly silent in the car watching everyone flit through the daily moments of life. She thinks of all the moments that are composed into it and how it must be easy to lose the path when one did not see the machine or the machine maker.

The small quaint cafe and she gives a smile, it looked as if it was a product of love and care that was more important than most mortals would realize. She emerges from the car again and finds the others sensing the presence she did. Her whole attitude changed into more stern and vengeful stance as they approached.

"Father, there is an Enemy of God close. Stay close. We will protect you." She nods along with Adnachiel and follows Kushiel keeping with the Father in step. Instead, her eyes sought the enemy searching quickly and unnaturally.

Following along and searching with my super sight to find any demonic aspects she would know. Perception (Sight) 18 and Hidden Lore (Demons) 14 to spot any identifying features/actions/stuff

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim

Urim nods at Gavrielle's comment, and loops an arm through the Father's. "We have a sixth sense for such things," she explains in a lot voice, encouraging the man to continue inside. "The world sings in the voices of its inhabitants, but the souls of demons stands out to us. There is one close by. Adnacheil is trying to lure it out. It may work, it may not. Tell us if you think someone is behaving strangely." She pats his arm encouragingly, giving him a look to signify that he should trust them, as they trust him.

"Now!" she declares, holding up a menu. "Tell me what 'flapjacks' are."

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Zachariel

Zachariel watches as Adnachiel strolls down the street. The hairs on the back of his neck rise as he feels the presence of the enemy. A strangle tingling sensation runs down his arms to the tips of his fingers. He glances around, his eyes narrowing to slits as he whispers to himself, "They're here...". He steps into the diner, looking around. "Let us partake of this break...fast and be on our way. I fear the time for confronting the enemy draws nearer..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"No, seriously," says Burke getting out of the car and heading after Adnachiel by a couple of steps. He stops to turn to Gavrielle and looks like he's losing some of the blood from his cheeks. "An enemy of God?" he asks. "Here?" He looks around like it's probably the dumbest thing that he's ever heard. Sure he's willing to go along with it because it's an angel saying it and if you can't believe an angel who can you believe but there's still a sense that there might be something that he's missed in all the years he's been coming here that's of the order of magnitude as 'an enemy of god lives here' is disquieting to say the least.

He's shuffled inside by Urim who, with her faint aura of dominance and control finds little challenge in controlling him. Adnachiel is getting a lot of looks as he walks down the road, singing and rolling his head. He knows the words of the song, he knows the chords but it's a quarter to eleven in the morning on a street in the middle of one of the more low rent parts of the city. He looks like he's dressed in goodwill clothing and given another couple of minutes he might break into a Hadaway cover. This attracts the attention of some of the locals. Some of them just sort of stare, some of them just sort of laugh and some of them pull out their cellphones and start to record.

In the cafe Urim sits with Kushiel, Zachariel and Gavrielle. Five person tables are rare so this one's a six seater with an empty chair. "Flapjacks?" asks the priest, glancing out the window onto the highstreet. "They're not Flapjacks like I know them but they're great. They come with bacon," he says with a broad smile. "Six coffees and six flapjacks done right," he says with a nod. "Six since I'm assuming that Adnachiel might wander back here sometime," he says peering back at the menu.

Urim is certainly getting her wish. There are plenty of people for her to watch. There are some sitting at tables dotted around the place - big guys with guts, plaid shirts and a days worth of beard on their faces that look like they're just passing through no matter where they are. A young couple out for a terrible meal the morning after the night before. They sit and talk for a little bit and it's pleasing to see that there's still such love in the world. Adnachiel would be happy.

There's nothing for her though - there are people coming and going. Some walk in, over to the bar at the far end of the room, speak to the young man behind the counter and walk out again with a paper cup full of steam and warmth but there's nothing to really grab onto for the Carrier of the Voice. There's a rack with mornings local newspapers slung over it - words of panic about a lost child, words of alarm and warning about rising credit costs and talk about the playoffs in some sport or another. It's interesting to see how humans transmit their information - there's just so much of it! There's a small television suspended from the ceiling by a metal arm in a corner of the room along with a radio playing some music from the top 40's. Even with all this there are people that will stand looking at their cellphones, thumbing through yet more data.

The priest stands and heads over to the bar to order only to return a couple of moments later. "That'll not be long. We're just at the tail end of breakfast where there's still plenty of stuff on the go but more people are looking to later meals," he says. "You're about to find out why gluttony is probably the easiest one."

This game has taught me a thing! Flapjacks in the US are not flapjacks in the UK! Flapjacks in the UK are primarily made from oats.

• Locked thread