Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Adnachiel - Hingham Mill

"Then let's talk."

With a shrug which he hopes that is visible as a sign of acquiescence to Gavrielle in the distance, he climbs aboard the vehicle.

"You may not believe me, but I deeply regret Cathy's passing. Her death should not have occurred. Could you tell me about her? About her mortal life?"

Just to make sure- C.S Lewis reference aside, Mr Saggyface McFlintyeyes doesn't seem like he's a demon. I didn't get that whole magical wibbly wobbly reveal of his true form there did I? But he's still setting off my internal alarms somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Adnachiel - Hingham Mills Cemetery

The back door into the limo opens letting Adnachiel climb in. He can see the man now sitting over from him. He's wearing a suit that's a size too big for him. His wire brush hair curls around itself and over the front of his wrinkled forehead. He is not an especially good looking guy but there's certainly an amount of lethality to his appearance.

"Of course," he says quietly, leaning back in his chair like he's the ruler of some kingdom of the stretch sedan. "Her death shouldn't have happened because now whoever did it has upset the hive," he says coldly. "I can tell you all about her if you wanted," he says as the car pulls away and begins to drive around the cemetery. "I'd want something in return. If you're going to make a deal with the devil you should be willing to offer something in return."

You did not see any obvious demon marks. It could be noted that there's a great history of demonic possession in myth and legend, however.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

"Of course. Fair is only fair after all. The world as it is consists of mechanisms of give and take. I am empowered with a certain degree of latitude and freedom to interpret and react to circumstances as I see fit."

Folding his hands and laying them in his lap, Adnachiel nods to the man astride his leathery throne.

"I will reply honestly and in the spirit of equivalent exchange should you be willing to do the same. Tell me about Cathy, please. [What was her name?]"

Ah, that was one of my theories for the situation. I'll lapse into Adamic for that last part there. Other than that uh, I'm an angel and am probably totally honest when I say I'll pay back in kind if he wants to do an intel swap.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Gavrielle - Hingham Mills Cemetery

A slight frown goes across her lips as she glances up at the car again, Adnachiel climbs into the vehicle and away from her help. She would have worried more and perhaps even thought about following, if Cathy's Husband hadn't brought her back to the present situation. How did she know Cathy? That was a complex question to answer and to the Angel the thought to lie never crossed her mind at all. With only a moments hesitation, she decides to explain it in terms the humans could understand, lest the complexity of spiritual birth and physical birth not be bypassed.

"I am distantly related to Cathy." She gives a sad smile to the man, "She comes from a branch of our family that lost its way, you might say. There was a terrible fight and they were exiled. Cathy is-" She shakes her head trying to return to physical perspective again, "-sorry. I mean was one of their children. We had come to meet her that terrible day and..." Gavrielle gives a pained look and glances off to the distance. The weight of the loss and pain that had sprung from that choice seemed to still linger about in this world.

"Father Burke understands so very much what you are going through. He has seen it more than myself for sure." She gives a sad glance to the heavens as if remembering the father's own loss.

She opens her mouth to add more, and reach out to the man. When the child surprises her with talk of her back. She glances back there and feels, her fully mature wings shifted slightly as if to say that they were still hiding and ached from lack of use. Turning back to the child, her eyes lock once again with the little girl half demon. Her physical knowledge told her that such ramblings of demons and angels would only lead the child into the path of misery and madness. Sanitariums and Institutions as it were, but when the trumpet was would it matter where the girl was? She would be judged along with all the rest.

Gavrielle had to help this girl even if only for the short physical life span she had. "Oh do you see something on my back?" She tries to give a warm smile toward the girl. Her hand touches the father's own as if to tell him it is alright, and the little girl should ask. "What do you see?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Kushiel

"I believe in the old ways. Proper greetings and such. I guess I'm unlike most people who come in here?" The woman's friendly tone caused him to reflect on his own mannerisms. This woman would know something isn't right. "Yes, I am new in town. First time here. It is taking me a while to get adjusted to this place."

The effort to smile is greater then the urge to do so. Kushiel tries to look less angry instead. The place put him on edge, no matter what this woman says. The air in the bar stank of depravity. Kushiel doubted if he could relax in a place like this.

He watched her get him a beer and wondered if this was a good decision. In order to blend in, he knew he had to make some effort to blend in with the people around him. Having a beer seemed like a good step.

"I don't know if I want to sign up for anything just yet. I don't have a permanent address as of yet. In the future, I might." Kushiel then smiled at the woman named Jade. He found smiling came easy once he forced himself to do it.

"My name is Kellan. Nice to meet you."

Fast-talk-9 (default). I'd like to spend a cp to succeed.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Urim

The skateboarder makes Urim jump in surprise just a bit when he arrives. It wasn't that she wasn't expecting anyone, just that the park seemed so empty when she was examining it. Not quite merely empty... perhaps incapable of supporting the presence of other people.

She relaxes her muscles and stares off at a cluster of trees in the park, pretending to be distracted, but slowly gathering the energy of the air, plants, and structures, contemplating the stained nature of the place. Vile names and visages flick through her mind, the dirtied pattern of the park attempting to fit one of them. She keeps a question in the front of her mind.

Who tainted this place?

Greater Sense Chance to get some kind of answer to work off of, since I'm not sure I have much to go on yet. Path of Chance is at 14. Cost is (2+modifiers)*3, right? Presumably Urim has a list of demon lords capable of stuff like this, if that's a reasonable suspicion (that is, I am assuming not just any demon could do this).

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Gavrielle and Adnachiel - Hingham Mills Cemetery

The man sitting over from Adnachiel smiles, his throat forming out the strange sounds that make up the common language of Heaven and Hell. The words are far longer than in the common language of the city and they're not as easily formed as they once were - the throat that Adnachiel has is different from what he had before. "Cathy was Catriel," he growls. "She was a whore. One of ours and some human hosed a Nephilim into her and she went soft. So many of them do," he says coldly. "The pleasures of Earth are great compared to the pains of our home and some of our people tend to become soft. They corrupt only as much as they need to in order to avoid being recalled as... defective. This place gets to you," he says. "You'll feel it soon. So tell me, why did the crew upstairs decide to send you and your slut down here?"

The little girls father eyes Gavrielle cautiously as the woman. He watches the two of them interact, letting his daughter ask questions as she sees fit. She was a very willful girl and more than a little bit of a handful. "I dunno!" she says, not sure how to explain what she's seeing. "I see shiny stuff coming off you like gold," she says, her father instantly going a little red in the cheeks. "I can see biiiiig white and gold things sticking out of your back like wings but made of steam."

"Alice," her father says, before looking back at Gavrielle. "Sorry- sorry, what did you say your name was?"

I found a good picture of the man in the limo.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Urim - Middle Park

Urim begins to divine the nature of this place. The sound of the wheels running over the concrete becomes almost melodic to her. Up and down, up and down, up and down. Faster and slower, up and down the half pipe and then back again. Like the rocking of a ship or the gentle swaying of the boughs of a tree, great and far away. She stills herself again and begins to rewind herself through time almost, the chances of things coming together into something that burns at her very heart. She can see what happened here, the threads parting like curtains around the park.

There was a child here. Small and afraid. Afraid of the other children in the park. The other children that were chasing them? No, not quite chasing. Following? Fleeing? No, all the children here are afraid. They're all afraid of something that's over there, in the distance but getting closer, a deep and dark terror that's thundering towards them. A vehicle of some kind? Blacked out windows on the sides with a person wearing... light green? Impossible to make out the details but they're wearing light green. A male. The vehicle is large and fearsome sounding. No details. It's large and fearsome and turning.

It swings hard to the left and the back doors open. No, they don't open like normal car doors, they slide open. The large car is a van? It's a black van. It must be. Figures spill out the back wearing a Rampage Hockey jersey. One of them, that is. The other is- there's too much darkness to them to see anything. One of the children is swathed and swaddled in the same darkness as one of the men. She sees this now. She sees both of them, swathed in darkness. The boy child is fleeing, terror on his face. She makes out the details for just a moment before the swirling black mass grabs onto the boy child - he is small, scrappy with bloodshot eyes and skin that's thin and cracked, showing a marble webwork of red between flakes of flesh. They grab the childn. They swear and spit and burn words at them.

They lay hands upon the child.

And Urim is brought back, her heart frozen and cold. The sound of the skater has become a dirge. A repetitive drone in the back of her mind that's burning into her being. You loving nephilim mutt. There's no way that can be happening. The Nephilim are the half breed children of humans and angels, or humans and demons. Her nose is bleeding somehow, hands shaking. Not only do Nephilim exist but someone is kidnapping them.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Kushiel - Heaven Sent

"Proper gentleman then," says Jade with a slow nod of her head. She watches Kushiel as he talks. "No home address?" she asks. "What, are you the Man with No Name? Gonna show you're actually wearing a poncho under that?" she asks. The music begins to pick up its pace a little bit, mixing into a whole new song. A lot louder than before and with more bass causing the room to almost vibrate. The lights around the main stage begin to pulse in time with the music. "You want to see why this place is called Heaven Sent?" she asks. "Turn around, hon. Show's about to start."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

A glance at the father reveals Gavrielle's massive smile and a sense of pride. It was not that young half demon had seen her as an angel, but rather she did not see her as a set of impossible wheels and strange unimaginable Wheeled geometry. She had been afraid that the many sets of wings and wheels would frighten the child, but instead what the child described was an elegance that her new found human feelings found delightful. Her look of approval was not hidden at all, and instead of a playful tone and expression on her face. She gives a quick wink at the father to allay his fears.

Turning back to Alice, Gavrielle seems to revel in some small secret between the young girl and the timeless Angel. She gives a quick shake of her head as if to look behind her before turning back to Alice and saying, "Does it look very pretty? I cannot see that myself, but that sounds most delightful. It must be your mother's heritage showing through." She turns and gives another small nod to her father. Her mind races trying to think of some comparison to allay his fears more in her mind. Her physical mind searching their physical knowledge before coming upon something appropriate to give. "It is said that some people can see things like that, like fairies, pixies and other things that people cannot. So that must make you special." She gives very heartfelt smile before adding, "Those that can't though can be very scared or even mad if you talk about it. So it is best not too for the most part."

Her eyebrows betray the actual concern for Alice as her father turns her attention back to him. Her optimism and excitement infuse in her voice as says, "Oh my name, apologies, I can get carried away with myself at times." Gavrielle gives a slight tinge of a blush, another thing she wasn't use too. Names and greetings seemed unnecessary when you watched over all of Heaven and examined the happenings. No one had ever questioned her purpose or even her name until coming here. "My Name, is Gavrielle... and yours?" She adds politely believing that this would settling the father a bit further.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

["You mean to say that you are not aware? Your masters have left you in the dark about what is to come? The gears are in motion, the die is cast.]

Mouth and throat struggling to shape the alien concepts into sound, Adnachiel speaks softly and carefully in an attempt to contain the force and shape of the emotions and reality of his statement.

["The End is upon us, and I am an agent of the Maker's Love and Forgiveness. If asked I would have forgiven Catriel and if helped her find her original purpose. I bear the Word. And the Word is Forgiveness, Freedom, and I can also do the same for you. Come in from the cold. None of us need fall to dissolution like Catriel has."]

Coughing into his closed fist he stares back at the man placidly.

"And what is your name, if I may ask?"

I'll use my Voice talent and try another Diplomacy 18 check, see if I can't convince him to come in from the cold now that the End is nigh. I mean, who wants to faff about being a demon and hanging around in Hell if the literal End of Days is on its way? Win or lose, the End is going to be remarkable and traumatic. War's over, John. Come home.

Voice [7]
- Limited use (-30% cost/2 uses per day)
- +2 to Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, Mimicry, Performance, Politics, Public Speaking, Sex Appeal, Singing
- +2 reaction rolls to someone who hears your

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim - Middle Park

"Oh, Christ," Urim mutters desperately, almost passing out in the middle of the park. The curse is unbidden and serves as a dull reminder of the current state of things. Bile rising in her throat, she manages to find a park bench and sit, forcing herself to breath deep, slow breaths. She digs a Kleenex out of the jacket pocket and mops at her upper lip, looking curiously at the red liquid. The bile recedes, though it leaves a vile burning sensation in its wake. This was going to take some getting used to. Her body was reacted similarly to, but separately from, her mind and soul. There were an awful lot of fluids to keep track of.

The cold air of the park and wind picking at her clothes calms her, after a time. This wasn't as straightforward as they had thought, clearly. Few ever spoke of the Nephilim in Heaven, but now she isn't sure whether it was out of dismissiveness or whether it was something angels did not want to deal with. It was clear demons were kidnapping the Nephilim of the city, but she had a feeling it was for more than simple prejudice.

She pulls her notebook from her pocket and writes down as much as she can from the vision. Special care is made to note the man with the hockey jersey and the van.

A frightening thought, Urim notes, was that it seemed terribly difficult for a child to hide such a thing. An adult might have an idea of what to do, what to look for, a way to fight back. Even if they were made aware, where would they go? Who would hide them? Cathy's daughter, from Gavrielle and Adnachiel's description, was smart and loved her parents without reservation. A birthmark did not drat them in the eyes of the Lord, but apparently did in some demons' eyes.

She pulls out her cell phone and after a moment's consideration, calls Gavrielle.

If I am slow in responding, Urim just wants to check on Alice and pass along a warning.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

She is started by the ringing of the phone and looks at the man, "One moment please." Taking the phone out she awkwardly hits the okay button and holds it up to her ear.

"This is Gavrielle." She says thinking that she has learned her lesson on social etiquette.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 30, 2012

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim

"Gavrielle?" Urim says, brightening up a little bit. It was good to hear another angel's voice. "Was Cathy's daughter at the funeral? I'm at Middle Park, using some... persuasive observation to learn a few things. Someone is kidnapping Nephilim." She falters over the word, not quite used to saying it out loud. "I thought... I thought she might be targeted."

"Is everything okay over there?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

"Urim? Oh it is nice to hear you." She gives a genuine smile to both the father and Alice, "Yes, Alice is right here. She and I were just speaking." Her smile fades as the dire news reaches her ears, "Oh no." Gavrielle lets the words echo through the phone before continuing, her face transformed into the look of worry. "If they are coming after her, I will be there. Do not worry." Her jovial and nice tone changed into a serious almost vengeful tone, "Do we know how they are taking them?" She looks at the father and pets his hand, the contact again felt very powerful, but not as pleasant as Sitala. She didn't have time to worry or wonder about this.

Turn the phone and holding the speaker so she cannot be heard by Urim, she says to Alice's Father, "Please stay one moment, there is some news from one of the Family." She says in a commanding tone, but not unpleasant. She turns her ear back to the phone and asks, "I just need to know what I need to see."

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 1, 2012

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim

"There's a black van," Urim says, thankful nothing bad has happened, though the chance something had happened in the last hour seemed slim. "I think there's man wearing green painted on the outside. Two people were inside, one in a hockey jersey. The Rampage. The other I couldn't make out, but he was a demon, I think. I'm sorry I can't be more specific. The answers to questions asked in the language of magic aren't particularly clear. They were the ones who took the children from this place. They... had a lot of hatred for the Nephilim they were stealing."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

She listens with rapt interest to Urim, memorizing and trying to capture the images in her head. This child might be damned or not, but the hands of angry demons were worse than even the most harsh righteous punishment. They had to need the children for a reason or at least a nefarious purpose, and they had to stop them. Gavrielle realized that talking in front of the father and daughter too bluntly would scare them.

"Thank you, Urim. I will keep watch for them. Uncertainty seems to be the order here, so you have done utterly fantastic." She gave a war wary smile into the phone and lets it carry though her voice. "I will do what I can to prevent that." She says authoritatively, but doesn't know how to continue. "Is there anything else, I need to know? Do the others know? Adnachiel is talking to someone right now in a car or was, so I think he is busy."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim

Urim has a moment of concern, but Adnachiel could handle himself. Likely he was converting legions of demons with a smile and a song. "Tell him when you have a chance, I'll call Kushiel. There isn't much to do here anymore, I may join him or conduct some research. I'll let you know if I find anything else."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

She gives a slight nod to the phone without thinking about it, "Of course, I will make sure that everything is safe here. Later, we might have to ensure that their home is safe." She emphases safe with her voice, hoping that Urim would understand she meant the protection and rituals that Urim had done before on the church. "Thank you again Urim, I feel we are getting close."

She thinks for a moment before she feels compelled by some physical memory to add, "Say Hi to Kushiel for me, and I will talk with you soon." Without so much of a thought she slips into a more archaic sounding voice and gives a soft sweet farewell, "maasalama kheri, yevarekh'kha YHWH varishmarekha." It rolls off her tongue naturally as if she was quoting something she had read many times before. With a click the connection to Urim was severed. It felt odd to Gavrielle that the absence could be so final and so sudden, but concerned herself with the present.

Turning to Alice and her Father, she gives a worried smile. "That was one of the family." She composes herself and looks Alice's Father in the eyes to give a sense of urgency and authority. "She concerns herself with find and bringing to light certain things..." She gives a pause for the closest mortal comparison to come to her, "An investigator or a detective is the best word. She had the most troubling news." She looks from the father to Alice with a pained expression.

Looking at Alice's father, Gavrielle says quietly "We should talk privately, it is important." She glances at Alice and then back again.

Spending 3 of my cp to bring up diplomacy to 14 and trying to get him out of earshot of Alice or at least whispering back and forth.

Also for translation: "Goodbye, Yahweh will kneel before you presenting gifts and will guard you with a hedge of protection"

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 2, 2012

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Gavrielle and Adnachiel - Hingham Mills Cemetery

Gavrielle gets another slightly concerned look when she talks about 'her mothers heritage' but Alice's father manages another smile. "Nick," he says. "It's a pleasure to meet you Gavrielle and I wish it could have been another time," he says quietly.

He waits for the phone call to finish and raises his eyebrows again when Gavrielle finishes off the conversation with soemthing that sounds like Hebrew and then asks him to walk with her for a moment. He looks down at Alice and shakes his head.

"Can we talk later?" he asks. "I can give you my number if you like?" he asks. Worst case? He blocks the number from this well meaning but slightly odd woman.

Adnachiel gets a wolfish grin. "The end is always upon us. Your side are always sitting around beating their drums, rattling their sabers and hoping that no one calls them on their bullshit. That's all it is. If you think that your side would have push the nuclear button and let the final judgement happen you're actually as loving delusional as I think you are," he growls.

"The final judgement is when everything is judged and we see just how badly you people have lost. It'd be a loving landslide and that's just not allowed. God isn't allowed to be wrong. He can't be wrong because he's God and there fore he can never be proven wrong-" It's a circuitous argument at best. No final answer and no beginning point. Logically it doesn't make any sense but God is at the crux of the discussion and when you're talking about the creator of the universe logic tends to take a bit of a backseat to the facts, regardless of how illogical they may seem. "Did you ever notice that? God can't be wrong about anything. That's why my side still exists even though we're poisoning the well every single day, I think. God created the original three and cast them out at the end of the war instead of destroying them. It's why he's still not destroyed them. It was his decision to make them and it was his decision to cast us out."

He said Us.

Adnachiel has a really, really bad feeling about this all of a sudden. He cast out some bait in the hope of catching a minnow but he might very well have snagged Leviathan.

"If we were destroyed it'd mean that He made the wrong decision way back when which means he'd be wrong. And if God was wrong about that imagine what else he could be wrong about?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kushiel

"What? I have a name." He pauses as he realizes that the woman is referring to something. "I'm just new around here. Haven't settled in properly yet. Not sure if my employer is going to keep me here for long either."

He considered going on, but then Jade instructed him to turn around. Following her suggestion he did just that. Unsure of what he'd see.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim

Urim stands from the bench and heads back to the car, punching numbers in her phone as she goes. She was happy to leave this place. Maybe their work would make it feel a little better. Though, perhaps no one other than her had noticed so far. She hits send, and waits for Kushiel to pick up.

Urim will scout out a couple other kidnapping locations, just to confirm that a big van wouldn't have trouble getting close to kids there.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Heaven Sent Strip Club

The reference to the Man with No Name is clearly lost on the angel. There's probably something coming up to him in due course. Something about how he looked or struck people reminded them all of someone from some old movie but for now that wasn't important. He turned around in the stool with his back towards the bar leaning against the fake oak surface and cast his eyes over to the stage. It's a surprisingly lengthy raised platform that juts out from gaudy red and candy pink curtains, lights running down the length of the long runway to the circular platform at the end of it where there's a pole mounted running from floor to ceiling. The curtains part and the music begins to play louder still.

A woman steps out from the back of the curtain. Tall, dark skin and dark hair. She looks perfectly formed. Kushiel sips from the beer feeling the cold bubbles in his mouth and then down his throat as he realizes something - there's nothing in here that's causing his senses to prick. There's nothing in here that's making him think that there's evil lurking around the next corner and he can't even sense anything other than what's in the room with him. No arcane, divine or magical sight. Just the senses that come to every human. Every single one of them being stimulated at the same time. The sound of the music, the vision of the woman before him as she moved over to the pole, each step in time with the music. The feel of the cold glass in his hands, the smell of the beer and the strip steak that was being brought out from the kitchen to the main hall. The taste of the beer in his mouth. For a moment he could almost understand how humans might let themselves go to it - God, it felt... it felt good.

She gets closer, her legs and breasts perfect. He manages to look up and sees her face. Sitala. He remembers her words. I want you to doubt what you're doing here. He's brought back to reality by his phone buzzing in his pocket and ringing.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Adnachiel

"Do you ever think about it? Coming Home? I look to this world and for it's wonders I am glad, but everything here is jagged and harsh. It is a cold mockery of what was and could be. And the Pit..."

Ignoring the sinking feeling in the pit of his gut, he presses on.

"I never understood that about you. All of you. Why would you subject yourselves willingly to such a thing? To resign yourselves to venial banalities here or torment in the Pit when instead you could return Home. Or take up your proper stations and assist us in completing the Maker's Work. Say you are right then. I am but a feather in the breeze, the latest in a long line of fools following a meaningless goal. What would we do then? Play the game ad infinitum until the Sun burns black and the last Man gives up the ghost? If God is never wrong, how can you ever hope to win?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

She looks as though she had just been slapped, no one had ever declined her protection and at such a critical time no less. She physically looks hurt by his reply and casts her eyes down, she couldn't let them go either she had said that she would help and protect them. She opens her mouth again and then a look of pure worry and concern across her face, "Of course, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have disturbed you on a day like today." She looks downwards to jot down her cell phone number before continuing, "Please give me a call when you feel ready to talk. I am being sincere in that I want to help in anyway I can. But I understand that Alice needs you right now." She tries to emphasize that fact and hope it conveys a certain meaning.

Handing the paper over to Nick, she looks a bit downtrodden having not navigated the conversation well enough to ensure his trust. She looks him in the eye and wishes she could just impart him with the knowledge, but she was no herald and this form had limitations. It would have also most likely caused him to either go insane or explode from the divine knowledge required to understand the situation fully.

"If you would like to give your phone number as well, I would be grateful, but only if you so wish. I wouldn't want anymore suffering to befall each of you and both of you have been through so much. If you need anything, please feel free to call. I know you aren't related to me like Cathy was, but still I wanted to help." She takes a step back and looks slightly depressed by the turn of events, and she did not have the talent of Adnachiel at convincing mortals or showing them the path.

Diplomacy 14 to try to not come off as a totally creepy weirdo that he should ignore and show that she can at least a little bit trusted.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kushiel - Heaven Sent

The place existed solely to titillate the senses. Those who ran this place seemed to cater to whatever cravings mortals had a taste. Indulgences abounded. For a moment he thought of giving into the temptations, but it was merely a foolish whim of the mortal coil he lived in. What pleasures this place showed him were insignificant to the glory he had seen as an angel. Mortals had so little understanding of that realm and made such silly assumptions about it. His meditations on the temptations of the flesh versus the blissful existence he once had known became interrupted by the phone. He picked it up and answered it.

"Yes?" He said into the phone. He covered his other ear so that he could better hear who was on the other line.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim

"Kushiel, this is Urim. I just thought I should let you know some demonic-influenced group IS kidnapping children - but not just children... Nephilim, mixed blood. There's a loud, black van with a man dressed in green on the outside responsible. There were two men inside, one in a hockey jersey. I wanted to pass it along in case you see anything like that. I brought some magic to bear against the problem, as usual I don't get many details."

"Do they play music that loud at all strip clubs? Isn't that distracting?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kushiel

"Interesting." Kushiel's voice expresses no emotion about the information, but he was thankful for Urim's call. "I have come up with nothing. Perhaps I should join you."

The loud music began to bother him. Instead of engaging his sense of hearing, he found it cacophonous and wished to leave the establishment.

"I will finish my dealings here and then meet with you. Where are you located?"

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim

"I'm at Middle Park," Urim says, sliding into the car and closing the door. "I wanted to look at some of the other abduction locations, maybe make sure a big van was capable of doing the same thing. If it's a bigger operation than that, we should know as soon as we can. Maybe you have a better eye for the scene, as well." She rattles off the address of the next location. "See you there?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Adnachiel and Gavrielle - Hingham Mills Cemetery

Gavrielle gets Nick's phone number. It was difficult to give out the information as needed in ways that could be understood. Perhaps too difficult. The constant talk of relations that he didn't know about or understand. The fact that this woman believes that 'he doesn't understand her as well as I do' even though they were married. The reaction of his daughter. The constant, cryptic tone and the lack of contractions that led to an almost stayed form of language... there was something about the woman that didn't fit.

But there is trust there. So he gives the number.

"Because," growls the vile man to Adnachiel, "while this place is a cold and jagged scape of a land far from your fathers watchful gaze this place... this place for us might as well be paradise. You've never been to Hell. You can't even begin to understand how even a single beat of your heart can be like a hundred thousand years of the most agonizing torment. You suffer so much that time begins to become meaningless. While this place is a punishment to you, it's a paradise to us."

He leans forwards in the chair. There's something behind his eyes that suggests that he's not a well man and not entirely in his own control. Adnachiel is starting to get the feeling that this is demonic possession - some addict or something that made a deal at the crossroads and wound up getting the really poo poo end of the bargain. He grins, those coffee stained teeth of his almost glistening. "Because God is a senile old fool of a creature that's retired. He's lost all interest in humanity and the affairs of the universe. He just leaves all of these things up to the Machinists and the Machine of Creation. He's not even willing to let them go back and fix the bug in its programming either."

The limo ride is reaching its conclusion.

"That's why we fought, you know? At the end of the sixth day we saw what God was doing and we were disgusted. We were Angels. And he had free will. And he was giving it out to every. Single. Human. With all their filth, all their depravity, all their mundane bullshit," he growls, fumes of brimstone starting to flood out of his pores. "Look at us. Look at yourselves! Look at them! You look at them and you tell me if they're really worthy of having free will, the greatest gift of all. The honor that was our birthright! We could not abide to see it cheapened by being given out to every defective beast."

More posts in the morning. Hell of a day at work.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kushiel

"As soon as I can extricate myself from this - situation, I'll see you there." Kushiel saw his going to this strip club as a mission and it then turned into a trap to undermine his moral resolve. He put his phone away and turned around. Looking around he spotted Jade and waved her over. Slightly impatient to leave, he goes towards her and brings some money out to pay for his beer.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Kushiel and Urim

Jade heads over and takes the money from Kushiel with a smile. "Enjoying the show?" she asks, tilting her head a little and looking at the grizzled angel. She smiles as sweetly and as forced as ever. She's distinctly mortal and if she's aware that Sitala, who by this point is still on stage going through deeply practiced motions, isn't quite mortal she certainly doesn't seem aware of it. This is all, apparently, going on over her head.

Urim begins to drive from Middle Park to one of the other sites that she's been informed of. This one's a little further over on the other side of town so it might be a while.

I hope everyone's okay with things getting a little... skewed for a while. I'll try and keep everyones plates spinning.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim

The drive is calming, and Urim finds herself enjoying observing the city. Something as simple as a city block was teeming with history, drama, and secrets. One could spend a century learning about it - then find one's work woefully out of date with reality. Such was humanity in congregation, she supposed.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

She gives a sweet innocent smile that radiates almost around her as he gives her his number. If she had her original form he would have been placed in somewhere safe without question or comment. Human etiquette mulled things, and lost that was something Gavrielle had little understanding about as well. However, she could see the pain and suffering that these mortals had experienced and in her physical form could feel it tugging at her angelic spirit.

Gavrielle takes the small piece of paper and awkwardly clutches in her hand. She isn't sure if she should step back away from the two so she slips her hands behind her. Finally with a quick nod she smiles, "Nick, my deepest sympathies and regret, I hope we can talk soon." She gives a warm smile marked with concerned to Alice and kneels down to her level. A interesting comment comes to mind that might convey something important to the child, her physical mind was searching for anyway to warn them without saying such at the moment. "Alice make sure you take care of your father, okay?" She moves to touch the half demonic child before changing it to a wave.

Standing up again she looks at each, about to take a step back away from them.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 7, 2012

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kushiel

He doesn't respond to the question of whether he's enjoying himself. Instead he merely changes the subject.

"Business calls. Something just came up that I need to investigate." Kushiel pays and then leaves. He makes his way to Middle park.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Kushiel gets a sad little look from Jade. She's really quite concerned about this guy - he seems like the sort of gentleman that would frequent a place like this (aura of 'rugged' loneliness, the look of a man fresh out of a 6-8 year stretch, the sort of craggy face that only an expressionist painter could love) and looking at the way he just handed over the money and left without getting change he had money to burn. Up on stage, Sitala continues her dance seeing that Kushiel is leaving. She grins, leaning forwards with her hips against the pole and gives him a little finger-wave goodbye.

Kushiel heads out towards Middle Park but realizes that Urim would be heading to the second place on her list. How did that list go again? Middle Park, Crenshaw Galleria, PS 134 in Nova Esperança and Wakayama Boulivard. 4 sites with four different kidnappings through the last month. The more the pair think about it the worse it seems to get.

They arrive at the Crenshaw Galleria at the same time almost. Kushiel's ears have stopped ringing and his blood has returned to its normal chill and Urim is feeling far more stable than she did before. She's recovered to her usual state too feeling almost fresh and ready to go - the angelic constitution was a hell of a thing. It's a large shopping mall, open air but covered. Three floors stretching up into the sky with a food court on the ground level, elevators up and down to the upper levels where there's a plethora of shops. It tends to go between middle-and-upper scale shops. Nothing under twenty dollars. Busy too. Lots of people milling around, the thronging mass of humanity. This many people might make the magic a little harder to swing here - so many threads here.

Gavrielle smiles and says her goodbyes. Alice gives her a smile even if she does have to rub her cheek after Gavrielle touches her there, the angels skin feeling just a little tingle to it. She found that she was doing it more - touching. Feeling. Tactile contact was certainly a unique and interesting thing. "Thank you," says Nicholas, putting the card into his pocket.

The limo has almost made a full circle around the cemetery now.

work is trying to kill me send help

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Urim

"Hello Kushiel," Urim says brightly as the two angels hook up in one of the tiled atrium areas on the ground floor of the mall. She takes a breath and looks around. "Seems hard to believe someone would be brazen enough to kidnap a child in the middle of this place. It seems like a good place to observe someone, though... that makes you think they were being watched for some time, yes?"

Was this one of those 'my kid went to the mall and never came home' situations? Any particular details from the news stories? If a retroactive roll is needed my Research is 17.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Adnachiel

"To say that Mankind is not riddled with defects and failings would be a complete lie and utter lie. There is no one among them who is not weak, who does not in their deepest heart of hearts suffer from the most base of emotions at the slightest provocation. But that is as much our fault as it is yours, and theirs. That they are flawed does not mean we cannot act to put right what first went wrong."

As the limo rolls slowly towards a halt Adnachiel speaks to the man as much as the being riding him, waiting patiently for it to come to a full stop before opening the door and stepping out into the graveyard.

"Please remember that my name is Adnachiel and I'm here to help you. The End is coming and the board will be swept clean. Conceal the knowledge or your compatriots know this as you please, to serve what machinations or manipulations you will. I will be waiting if you wish to come in from the cold. You may of course contact me freely should you choose to do so, but it is likely that before that occurs we will have another opportunity to discuss this matter."

Welp, limo ride is almost over and assuming he'll let me go I'm going to slide on out of there. Maybe let off a parting shot and meaningful glance into the eyes of the unwilling human host.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Kushiel

"Hello." Kushiel responds tersely. "I think its safe to assume that they've put effort into tracking these children down. The kidnappers probably studied the movements of the children and knew the best time to grab them. Wait till they're away from their parents and away from any adults that know them. The kidnappers took advantage of people not wanting to get involved. Deplorable." Kushiel looked around. "Yes, this area is good for observation, but not so good for an abduction. Are we certain the child in question made it to the mall? Perhaps they were taken before or after coming here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Stuffing her cellphone and the critical note in her pocket. She rubs her fingers together staring at them in wonder. Tactile sensations were becoming a fact of life for her and she was curiously begin to enjoy it. The lack of spiritual connections must be why it is so enjoyable she decides. To actually interact with a soul was immensely more satisfying and to her it felt the act of touching skin was like touching a piece of that. She didn't understand it completely, the child had seen her flames, and her wings, but not her as an impossible construct of geometric proportions, which was reassuring, but also made her question if this form was not her intended one.

The thought was unsettling to say the least.

She backed away and kept to the outskirts of the procession now, watching over every, and most of all seeing the car approach again, she did not fear for Adnachiel, but it was reassuring when she watched him open the door. When she sees him turn toward her, she gives a pleasant wave and a motion to come join her.

• Locked thread