Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?

gredgie, I want you to glitch me like one of your French girls.

Okay, Kate Winslet, one moment.

EDIT: Whilst the original image doesn't feature nipples anyway, I like the fact the chair glitches in such a way it looks like she's now wearing a dress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Anyone know of any good glitch apps for android? Got a few (decim8, DScan and DGrid) on my iphone, but i like fooling with this stuff on my tablet.

Japex
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My first attempted at glitching a picture using Notepad++.

I found that certain bytes of data usually displayed as DC# could be deleted while rarely ever corrupting the image.

I've also come to realize that glitching .gif images is much harder seeing as they'll rarely ever properly render outside of a standard image viewer.

-----------------------------------------

I went ahead and glitched another image.

I sort of prefer this one seeing as there was much more time invested into it.

Japex fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 9, 2013

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

the_lion posted:

What is the top image from? (These are kinda cool, which is why i ask)

No idea. I googled animated Gifs and it pulled up those Atari space invaders in some weird street scene. I don't even know the site anymore sorry :(

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Imagedump ahead:

I've spent the morning experimenting with glitching these things, and drat if it isn't a hell of alot of fun. For now I've just been experimenting with bitmaps and jpegs.

Here's the image I started out with, a photo I took last summer -

The first thing I did was saturate it a little bit. Then I derezzed it by zooming out and screencapping, and saved it as a bitmap

Here I did some basic loving around with the bitmap code in Notepad++ - inserting gibberish between random lines, and replacing portions of text throughout the document. I wasn't too happy with this because all it really resulted in were a few off-colored pixels, some out of place yellows and greens.

So I derezzed it yet again to simplify the pixels, enlarged, and began to mess with it again. I WISH I remembered how I got the bizarre, awesome twisting formation, but I have no idea how I did it. I'm pretty sure it was a very minor change in the header that did it. It's still a bitmap at this point.

Another tiny change gave me this - which I really dig. I wish I could get a large scale print of this and hang it up. It was a very, very small change - some of the code in the header has mathmatical function calls, and by changing one of them you change how it renders the image line by line, and when the equations don't add up, you get cool poo poo like this.

I went back a few steps, and after arriving at a fairly pleasing visual arrangement, I derezzed it yet again, saved it as a jpg, and THEN got up to some fun fuckery. Minor cutting and pasting here and there, a final deresolution, and I wound up with something pretty neat.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

the_lion posted:

What is the top image from? (These are kinda cool, which is why i ask)

No idea, but here's how to do it yourself if you wanted to: cut out space invader, take out of focus picture. See http://digital-photography-school.com/diy-photography-project-how-to-make-custom-bokeh-shapes

itsnick
Mar 20, 2009
Thought I'd give this a go...this is random extrusion and stuff on layers Photoshop

bit larger here

original here

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

No worries Zip, was just curious. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a fake and made in after effects or something.

Laserjet 4P posted:

No idea, but here's how to do it yourself if you wanted to: cut out space invader, take out of focus picture. See http://digital-photography-school.com/diy-photography-project-how-to-make-custom-bokeh-shapes

This is awesome. Thanks for posting this. :D

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Another one that I was messing with today - tried messing around with different file types, took this one through bitmaps, pngs, jpegs, and tiffs, then back to a low quality jpg.

One more - goddamn this is fun

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 15, 2013

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

McKilligan posted:

The first thing I did was saturate it a little bit. Then I derezzed it by zooming out and screencapping, and saved it as a bitmap

Your images are great but I swear if you stuck Chun Li and Guile in this picture, we would be staring at a street fighter level.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

itsnick posted:

Thought I'd give this a go...this is random extrusion and stuff on layers Photoshop

Holy poo poo dude this image is going to haunt my dreams. This is so creepy cool.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but the How To Destroy Angels folks put up some pretty cool glitch art up for their preview of their new album. Has some glitch videos as well: http://pitchfork.com/advance/33-welcome-oblivion/

Use the scroller at the bottom to go back and forth. The arrow buttons seem buggy.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Messing around with various methods to glitch video (and audio but that's less important), I found one that manages to do a blend of weird stuff, it looks almost painterly in spots.
Here's the example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nud62OFcyTc

And here's a how to:
Get yourself the transcoder avidemux and the old glitch stand by Audacity.
Take your video, and open it in avidemux, for your video codec select 'mpeg4-avc(x264)'*, you can leave the configuration on default for decent quality, audio doesn't really play a factor so just go with AAC(faac) and it'll be fine, set the 'muxer' as mp4 and save (remember to put the mp4 extension in the filename).
Open Audacity, select import->raw data.
Select encoding 'A-Law', leave the other settings alone and hit import.
select the audio, but leave the first second of data alone, the part that isn't maxed out in volume (it's the file header and breaking it will prevent the file from loading).
Go to effect ->tremelo
Set the starting phase to 0, wetness level to 1, and frequency to 0.10, hit ok and let it apply.
File->export, set the type as 'other uncompressed files' hit options and set the encoding to A-Law again, leave the header as RAW, OK and Save, remember to retype the mp4 extension.
Open the video and see if it worked!
You can try other effects as well, most seem to destroy the video too much though, others that work well are changing the tempo slightly, and applying small echoes and fades and different points.

*different encoders have different effects, however flv,x264, and xvid all act very similarly, x264 just happens to be slightly more crazy, if you want less crazy try xvid, if you want a completely different sort of look try mpeg2, if going for mpeg2 ignore applying effects, just open the file and resave without doing anything to it, it goes mental from just the minor data differences, and remember mpeg2s use the '.mpg' extension and muxer, you might want to use PCM audio if it won't let you use anything else.

Reive fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 26, 2013

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
I like using a single delay over a whole picture on audacity. If you choose the right picture you can get some really nice colours and patterns.

Here I tried using a number of slight variations on the delay to make a gif. I think it might be cool if I use more, smaller itterations and get an smoother running image.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I finally gave in an bought decim8. I then used two different outputs and the original in Photoshop to blend them. I hope you don't mind seeing my catte.

Evaluation Unit
Apr 7, 2004
I SURE HOPE THIS GRUESOME TERRORIST ATTACK DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH COMIC-CON
Thanks SA! I was looking for some way to convey something in my illustrative piece and saw this thread. So I made a static image:

And then I used uglitch.com's little plug in to corrupt a gif. (If you go to uglitch.com right now I'm sure you can see my trial and error process with 5 different gifs).

I was having a difficult time trying to get the image to render with the glitches when I glitched it in text edit (I was working with a 300 DPI image, which makes the glitches a lot smaller, apparently) since Photoshop and every other image viewing program I have would just give up and render most of the image as grey. Turns out Safari is pretty good at decoding glitched images regardless. I dragged the image from Safari directly into Photoshop and got my glitched image. Useful!

Reive
May 21, 2009

Here's a little something I'd been working on last week, it's not exactly what I had in mind but it turned out pretty good:

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde
I didn't make this, but it's too well-suited to not post in this thread.

This is a real-life storage unit that was carved to look glitchy. So cool!

From here

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Oh, poo poo, forgot about this thread.

So I'm pretty disappointed with the file size, anyone have a good link that can explain optimization to me?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Oh, poo poo, forgot about this thread.

So I'm pretty disappointed with the file size, anyone have a good link that can explain optimization to me?

The short answer is the more colours you use and the more frames, the larger your filesize will be.

There's a little bit on it at the top of the gif thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457178

Marie Albertine
Oct 21, 2012

Ugh, not frustration for comedic effect again!

An attempt at glitching and gifing a drawing I did a long time ago. This thread makes me want to give it another go soon, you guys are generating a lot of cool stuff!

green_tea
Feb 13, 2013

McKilligan posted:

Another one that I was messing with today - tried messing around with different file types, took this one through bitmaps, pngs, jpegs, and tiffs, then back to a low quality jpg.

One more - goddamn this is fun

omg...these are awesome. you have a natural talent for glitch.

PilotRedSun
Mar 3, 2013

When I started glitching stuff I decided to get right into making animated pieces. These are many frames involving the same imaged databent in audacity with slightly different fx and parameters each frame. Put together with Gimp.

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

Here's a glitched out video by David O'Reilly where he took a bunch of his own video and just messed it up incredibly.

WARNING: Lots of flashing and things that would be unsafe for anyone with epilepsy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR0-w4ATPKM

take my life... please!
May 31, 2006

We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
Wow, I should have check here first! I started messing with this stuff last year, this is some of the stuff I made before reading the thread:

And some animations:

I've made a few videos, but haven't uploaded them yet.
I just started corrupting video last week, it's been the most fun I've had in a while!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

ReverendFaux posted:

And some animations:

This is amazing. My brain can't even process what is happening.

take my life... please!
May 31, 2006

We make everything you need and you need everything we make.

ExtraNoise posted:

This is amazing. My brain can't even process what is happening.

Thanks! That's actually my first attempt at video glitching. For this process, I trimmed a longer clip of the Dear Leader, and imported into VirtualDub and exported an .avi with a max i-frame of ten, same for p-frames. I pulled the i-frames out with avidemux, then dropped the video in Premiere to quickly render a .gif. It's only one pass, but it's really REALLY neat.

I experimented with motion tracking a few weeks ago:

After that, I glitched the intro to Dexter's Lab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pxvtHJOfnc

I then dropped the corrupted AVI on top of the original, and tracked Dee Dee running from Dexter. It created an effect as if she was the only thing glitching, which makes an interesting idea that I'm playing with: confining the glitched parts to specific areas of the video, making only parts of the world seem damaged. I like where this went, too bad it took nearly 8 hours to get it to do what I wanted.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
My first foray into glitch. I just whacked some jpegs into notepad++ and buggered about with some of the lines, deleting bits and writing swearwords as I saw fit:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

This is my first attempt at glitch art. I imported the image into Audacity as RAW data (which itself can lead to some cool glitch sounds) and applied a couple of effects and then imported it back into Photoshop. I just used a head shot of myself.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I took an image of jellyfish, threw it into Audacity, and broke myself a new desktop:

Using images with a lot of solid colors works really well in keeping the color craziness somewhat at bay.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

You guys have tapped into a primal terror that I've had for years, but I can't stop looking.

It's like when you're a kid, and you fall asleep in the living room to your favorite Disney movie, and you wake up in the middle of the night, and the VCR is on static or some creepy blue screen and aaaaaah! Scary!

Just scary!

Keep going. I want to see more.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
This is so cool!

(^^I was tripping balls when I took this photo so it really captures the moment and makes me feel quite emotional.)

Tactical Grace fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 19, 2013

Long John Silvers
Apr 17, 2013

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
A few attempts at the "open in notepad++ and change random stuff" technique:

That seemed pretty lazy though. I made these with a python script, not sure which one I like better:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Are you doing those directly to gifs, or individual frames and making them a gif again?
Because I can't for the life of me corrupt a gif without it breaking.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Reive posted:

Are you doing those directly to gifs, or individual frames and making them a gif again?
Because I can't for the life of me corrupt a gif without it breaking.

The first two were gifs that I corrupted, the other thing was a still image I made an animation out of.

I broke the gifs a lot too; it took a lot of trial and error. I would make one small change, save it, then see if the gif still worked, and undo the change if it broke. Just changing a single character in the file is enough to cause noticeable glitching though.

I'd stay away from the beginning of the file if you're just using a text editor. Gifs have a bunch of stuff at the beginning like the header and some color information before it starts describing the actual animation. Unless you know what you're doing changing any of the stuff at the beginning will probably just make the gif unplayable.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Here's two new things I did, the first is in anticipation of Hotline Miami 2:

And here's one where I've been experimenting to try and create those really pretty images you'd expect to see as album covers, this is basically a combination of ios apps, and I'm pretty happy with the results for my first try.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Reive posted:

And here's one where I've been experimenting to try and create those really pretty images you'd expect to see as album covers, this is basically a combination of ios apps, and I'm pretty happy with the results for my first try.

Hey Reive, which combo of apps are you using for the clock one? Just curious.

Reive
May 21, 2009

the_lion posted:

Hey Reive, which combo of apps are you using for the clock one? Just curious.

Decim8, Mextures, and Snapseed.
Snapseed is free by google, both the others are 99 cents each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Ah, cheers, I got decim8 but I wasn't aware of the other two- just grabbed them.

Snapseed is really brilliant. Dscan is really fun as well, even though it's more of a slit scanning than a dedicated glitch app. I did this a while back with it.

• Locked thread