Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«35 »
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm beautiful.

I'm so happy. Add in all the HL3 jokes you want now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

tighten up tone down tuen thuen

If nobody "dies" after being beaten with a crowbar in this, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Banana dose posted:

Oh, and if you call any of the phone numbers, you get the message "Code Orange, Code Orange. Situation Lambda." Which sounds exactly like the Half-Life logo.

My heart stopped reading this. I know it's not, but every fiber of me wants it to be. Oh my god.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

Phone Booth?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

If you guess the password Kyoon sends you an autographed post card with himself giving a thumbs up. Sorry for spoiler.

The Candyman
Aug 19, 2010

by T. Finninho

PleasureKevin posted:

poo poo, in Episode 2 as well. Shamefully never played all of #1.

Play Black Mesa:

http://release.blackmesasource.com/

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

This game is fun. btw.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Alone in space with Bears, Cats, Robots, Lizards, Energy Entities, and some Love.

I just played Black Mesa and am replaying Half-Life 1, and the original is simply better in pretty much every non-visual way, and in some visual ways even. Just snag it on Steam if you don't have it already, you won't regret it. Although looking I am surprised to see it priced at 10 dollars. Thought it was 5.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, this is definitely an ARG. HUMINT stuff is so far beyond this kind of thing, it's ridiculous.

People keep saying stuff like this, but don't you guys remember that Russian "deep cover" spy ring that was busted a few years ago? Everything published about how those guys operated was hilarious.

LobsterTick
Jul 11, 2011

"We did something this year that was not based on animosity."

Bloody Antlers posted:

People keep saying stuff like this, but don't you guys remember that Russian "deep cover" spy ring that was busted a few years ago? Everything published about how those guys operated was hilarious.

Oh, come on! It's a pretty drat good ARG, but still an ARG. Thinking that 4chan accidentally uncovered a real spy ring is beyond ridiculous.

Feranon
Sep 10, 2011

People were less prepared for a double juggalo presidency than they ever imagined.

LobsterTick posted:

Thinking that 4chan accidentally uncovered a real spy ring is beyond ridiculous.

It's fun to think about some unlucky 4chan brats getting slipped a nice cup of polonium tea, though.

Anyway I love this sort of poo poo, but I'll be damned if I can make heads or tails of it, even after reading through the wiki. I suck hard at crypto-stuff though. If this is really a viral campaign for HL3 or something then wow, talk about obscure.

kicktd
Jul 6, 2007

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it.

Feranon posted:

If this is really a viral campaign for HL3 or something then wow, talk about obscure.

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out what exactly this could be for, if it's HL3 well like you said it's pretty obscure but I guess we will know in time. Might as well follow along and have some fun along the way.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm beautiful.

Feranon posted:

It's fun to think about some unlucky 4chan brats getting slipped a nice cup of polonium tea, though.

Anyway I love this sort of poo poo, but I'll be damned if I can make heads or tails of it, even after reading through the wiki. I suck hard at crypto-stuff though. If this is really a viral campaign for HL3 or something then wow, talk about obscure.

I just wish I had something I could do to help. These things are seriously cool but I'm always stuck just watching and thinking about it.

kicktd
Jul 6, 2007

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it.

According to the wiki one of the agent codes now just spits out an unknown data stream. I tried decoding it using several different decoding methods (usually used in amateur radio) but came up with nothing yet. Can't quite get a good match as to what exactly (if any) encoding is used.

Feranon
Sep 10, 2011

People were less prepared for a double juggalo presidency than they ever imagined.

Ularg posted:

I just wish I had something I could do to help. These things are seriously cool but I'm always stuck just watching and thinking about it.

Yeah, same. This is the closest any ARG has come to making me think "hey this might NOT be an ARG" if only because the number has been active and spouting weird poo poo since at least last year, and it's all so cryptic and obscure. I mean, what kind of crazy loving puppetmaster goes to so much trouble setting up a phone system like this and waits around for months until some bored nerds find it? And then conducts dead drops on opposite ends of the country?

If it's viral marketing for something then it's making itself almost a little too hard to figure out.

LobsterTick
Jul 11, 2011

"We did something this year that was not based on animosity."

Do we have any confirmation that it have been active for a year? I mean, if the one one who dropped the number initially said this, it can be just a piece of backstory to start the ARG.

Feranon
Sep 10, 2011

LobsterTick posted:

Do we have any confirmation that it have been active for a year? I mean, if the one one who dropped the number initially said this, it can be just a piece of backstory to start the ARG.

Somebody posted it on a tinfoiler forum called godlikeproductions last November:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/f...sage1702191/pg1

e: it was saying slightly different stuff back then apparently, "condition blue" or some poo poo

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Bloody Antlers posted:

What is this? Sounds interesting.

On a slightly related but not really note, anyone remember eon9 (or whatever it was called?) It was back in like 2007 or something and there was this page with a countdown clock and a map of the globe. Also had an unaccessable login screen. It seemed all ominous and everyone on the internet was freaking out about what it was. Then when the countdown hit zero, we found out it was a giant social experiment to see how the world would react or something. What was it called again?

kicktd
Jul 6, 2007

Not sure if this info has been posted (didn't see any info posted here or wiki):

About (303) 309-0004
is a Landline
Colorado (Aurora, Denver)
Denver metro area, Adams County
Licensed by:Global Crossing Local Services, Inc

Global Crossing Local Services is now owned by Level 3 Communications and does VoIP.

The other number is a bit more interesting:

About (202) 999-3335
is a Mobile Phone
City/State:Westchester, DC (Washington DC area)
Type:Mobile
Licensed by:Verizon Wireless

A little strange to see a mobile phone used instead of another VoIP number.

Grummbo
Sep 10, 2004

Your son is a doctor? Oh.. Ours is Pope.

I may be getting ahead of myself but I'm also crossing my fingers for a HL3 release. The wiki says the connections to the Valve ARG guys are dead, and starting on 4chan seems unlike Valve marketing, but then again they did a spectacular job on the Portal 2 ARG and there does seem to be some of their handiwork involved.

The crash the day after the dead drop is what's getting to me. Are we seeing the new generation of ARGs, with extra emphasis on reality? A car crash into a small business (real or not) is chump change to organise for a major marketing initiative.

This is definitely a long play for whoever is organising it, we're almost at a month dropping hints. Whoever it is, kudos, my interest is piqued.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

Just called (202) 999-3335. Got a metallic buzzing tone that rose and fell, while a pattern of clicks played. After about 30 seconds, it hung up. I'm sure I'm supposed to be intrigued by that and want to look into it further, but the last 5 ARGs I got involved with also had a "mysterious phone number with mystery noises" thing, so it's kind of played out for me.

I'm still sorta interested to find out who's behind the game, though.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Grummbo posted:

This is definitely a long play for whoever is organising it, we're almost at a month dropping hints. Whoever it is, kudos, my interest is piqued.

Closer to a year, apparently: http://otp22.com/index.php?title=Timeline_of_events

picosecond posted:

Just called (202) 999-3335. Got a metallic buzzing tone that rose and fell, while a pattern of clicks played. After about 30 seconds, it hung up. I'm sure I'm supposed to be intrigued by that and want to look into it further, but the last 5 ARGs I got involved with also had a "mysterious phone number with mystery noises" thing, so it's kind of played out for me.

Both of the phone numbers started doing this a day or two ago. That is currently where things are, with people trying to figure out/decode that noise, and trying to figure out the key to decrypt the contents of the CD.

kicktd
Jul 6, 2007

picosecond posted:

The mystery noise just started up late yesterday. When I called early yesterday it still had the condition orange enter agent number etc. so not sure what's up with the new mystery sound.

The "clicks" when listening on my phone (and not the pre-recorded one on the wiki) sound like radio static, so don't think they mean anything. Interesting though how it changed from being able to enter agent numbers for so long to strange sound and auto-hang up with no really obvious clues as to what all the other stuff has meant yet and no "leads" really.

Going to keep up with this one and see where it goes and what it's for. It's certainly interesting and has my interest so far.

I just hope no random guys in suits show up on my door step because I called a phone number.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Dagon posted:

Closer to a year, apparently: http://otp22.com/index.php?title=Timeline_of_events

Both of the phone numbers started doing this a day or two ago. That is currently where things are, with people trying to figure out/decode that noise, and trying to figure out the key to decrypt the contents of the CD.

I usually enjoy these but it's hard to keep track of where things are "now" or what people are working on. I hate looking at a wiki or something and thinking about a problem that was solved hours ago with information I didn't have. So... thanks for the update is what I'm saying.

Humidora
Apr 10, 2008

Apparently the noise people are hearing is actually data that was converted into sound.

I'm sure there's a better way to explain that which would make more sense, but it's out of my expertise. Looks like people are already trying to figure out how to decode it though.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Ninja Rope posted:

I usually enjoy these but it's hard to keep track of where things are "now" or what people are working on. I hate looking at a wiki or something and thinking about a problem that was solved hours ago with information I didn't have. So... thanks for the update is what I'm saying.

Added a "current working problems" section to the main page of the wiki just for you.

CloFan
Nov 5, 2004

Khaleesi..

Can that data be used as a password for the encrypted stuff?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

CloFan posted:

Can that data be used as a password for the encrypted stuff?

It's possible, but we can't figure out how it's encoded, so there's no way to retrieve any data from the sound.

Sam.
Dec 31, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."

Grummbo posted:

I may be getting ahead of myself but I'm also crossing my fingers for a HL3 release. The wiki says the connections to the Valve ARG guys are dead, and starting on 4chan seems unlike Valve marketing, but then again they did a spectacular job on the Portal 2 ARG and there does seem to be some of their handiwork involved.

The crash the day after the dead drop is what's getting to me. Are we seeing the new generation of ARGs, with extra emphasis on reality? A car crash into a small business (real or not) is chump change to organise for a major marketing initiative.

I don't think Valve would go as far as actually crashing a car into something for an ARG. The driver, or someone who gets hit, could get maimed or killed. They could be looking at criminal charges, anywhere from reckless driving to manslaughter or even murder. Then there's insurance claims, property damages, wrongful death lawsuits, all sorts of legal problems that could add up to thousands or even millions of dollars.

Either the crash was a coincidence, or it really is some sort of conspiracy/government/organized crime. Or maybe Valve is part of the conspiracy .

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Sam. posted:

I don't think Valve would go as far as actually crashing a car into something for an ARG. The driver, or someone who gets hit, could get maimed or killed. They could be looking at criminal charges, anywhere from reckless driving to manslaughter or even murder. Then there's insurance claims, property damages, wrongful death lawsuits, all sorts of legal problems that could add up to thousands or even millions of dollars.

Either the crash was a coincidence, or it really is some sort of conspiracy/government/organized crime. Or maybe Valve is part of the conspiracy .

One of Valve's many early stages in their plan for world domination.

Feranon
Sep 10, 2011

Revitalized posted:

One of Valve's many early stages in their plan for world domination.

The reason they pushed Steam on us all is because it's secretly a program to take control of the world's computers

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TINY ZZT AS LONG AS I DRAW BREATH

ARGs are pretty neat.

But did anyone think to call the police after the car crash notifying them about the goings on days before? You know, on the off chance that this is something else?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

got dat wmd posted:

ARGs are pretty neat.

But did anyone think to call the police after the car crash notifying them about the goings on days before? You know, on the off chance that this is something else?

I think someone contacted the FBI, but I'm not sure.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

I pee standing up like a big boy!

My uncle is a spy and he told me to tell you guys to stop messing with his phones.

Feranon
Sep 10, 2011

Magnus Gallant posted:

My uncle is a spy and he told me to tell you guys to stop messing with his phones.

Yeah well my uncle is an engineer and wants your uncle to stop loving with his sentries

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

picosecond posted:

I'm still sorta interested to find out who's behind the game, though.
I just called and it sounds like an AFSK data burst, not quite like an Emergency Broadcast SAME header, but something that Ham radio people would be able to decode.

Air Julio
Oct 9, 2005

forever flying, forever

No gum jokes yet? I'm impressed. Love following these kind of things even though I'm never helpful solving anything.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

I just called and it sounds like an AFSK data burst, not quite like an Emergency Broadcast SAME header, but something that Ham radio people would be able to decode.

HAM radio people have all said "doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard and doesn't look like anything I've ever seen". This thing's locked up tighter than two dogs.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

MORTAL KOMB---
Uh, never mind. You're basically tonguing a nuke's butthole right now.

I've written radio modem software and I have no idea what is going on there. After messing with it, I'd be inclined to believe there's no data chillin in there.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2012 around 23:52

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

That's disappointing. I'm not a signal processing guy by any means, but my tinkering lead me to believe there might have been some signal hidden somewhere - in the shorter signal, there's some inconsistency in the distance between waves that looked like it could hide the data, and in the longer signals there are pretty obvious phase shifts, but they are spaced too regularly to contain any data.

You can also subtract the "clean" parts from the "noisy" part and get something, but yet again it's hard to discern if it's anything but noise.

«35 »