Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«35 »
McDowell
Aug 1, 2008

Surely, Caligula was my greatest role

It's an ARG created by the Government to wake internet nerds up to the very real possibility of an Arctic War.

The truth is in the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquadronROE
Mar 18, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Wait, is this gonna be something like at the end of Ender's Game, but with Naval War: Arctic Circle?

Because I am terrible at that game.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Floppy ears and a big gun!

Is there some way to crowdsource cracking this poo poo? Like folding@home but different, each computer working on a different "chunk" of potential passwords.

Air Julio
Oct 9, 2005

forever flying, forever

Bunch of weird noises coming from the autodialer now. 4 in the past 10 minutes. poo poo's gettin creepy.

SniperX
Feb 10, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Is there some way to crowdsource cracking this poo poo? Like folding@home but different, each computer working on a different "chunk" of potential passwords.

You mean Bitcoin ?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

• I WISH YOU HAD DIED YOU STUPID COMMIE FUCK

Absolutely has to be a hoax. From reading the wiki it *appears* that the information is somehow supposed to be related to Nato/Russian military deployments plus messages to "agents."

The thing is, any intelligence service (unless we are talking some small tiny country in the middle of nowhere) would:

1.Know every time such a system was "activated" and which agent or agents correspond to these "agent codes." They would notice "over access" right away.

2. Have immediately identified where calls to the system were coming from, unless these calls were masked in some fashion.

Additionally:

3. Such a system would be far better protected than this. This is not 1951.

4. Even if none of the above were true, any intelligence organization--even the dumb ones form tiny countries--would have noticed that their "information" and "encryption" drops were compromised. This would have happened the first time someone retrieved a CD, or whatever, from the drop location and thus that CD was never delivered to its intended recipient.

5. All of the above would have resulted in encryption changes almost immediately, and if 1-3 had not yet happened, they would have been as soon as they noticed the occurrence of 4.

Any further communication through that phone number would be designed to dupe or entrap the people hacking the system. And at the very least the encryption would have changed.

6. If this were a foreign government, intelligence service, or a "low level cartel" as someone else has suggested, the phone number/communication system being compromised would most likely have resulted in the system being shut down.

7. If it *is* an intelligence service or cartel (these people aren't stupid) they could have loving googled the phone number to discover the source of the leaks (or that leaks were occurring) a long time ago.

The CIA (or any intelligence service that data mines) would have noticed the first time that the number was posted on 4chan (or wherever).

This just leads me to one conclusion. This has to be a very elaborate hoax perpetrated by a small group of people on the internet. It makes absolutely no sense otherwise.

So my guess is solving this mystery is as simple as finding the phone numbers' first reference on the internet and figuring out who made it.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at Oct 1, 2012 around 22:57

McDowell
Aug 1, 2008

Surely, Caligula was my greatest role

Or they just don't care? It's a lot of effort for a hoax. I stand by my theory

Air Julio
Oct 9, 2005

forever flying, forever

ZombieLenin posted:

This just leads me to one conclusion. This has to be a very elaborate hoax perpetrated by a small group of people on the internet. It makes absolutely no sense otherwise.

Almost like a game. An Alternate Reality Game, perhaps?

SquadronROE
Mar 18, 2012

Air Julio posted:

That would just be dumb. Who would want to play that sort of game?

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Air Julio posted:

That's quite a mouthful, I suggest we shorten it to 'ARG' or something in the future.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

McDowell posted:

Or they just don't care? It's a lot of effort for a hoax. I stand by my theory

Its not that much effort if you have 5 or 6 people working together around the country. Also, if they just didn't care, then they would not bother with encryption and strange phone numbers.

Even on its surface this is far to stereotypical. Seriously it is something from a pulp fiction spy novel from the 1950s.

In fact, they would have even less of an incentive to continue doing this after 4chan, ebaum, and now SA "broke into the system." Again, they should have--even low level cartels who transmit military information about the north pole (doesn't make much sense)--noticed they'd been breached when "drops" began to vanish.

If it were a government of some sort, this would have been noticed sooner (maybe), but intelligence agency or cartel it would have been noticed. All it would take is googling the number to find out who, what and where.

Any real intelligence service--CIA, Israel, Western Europe, China or Russia--would have discovered the breach through data mining.

In any case, once discovered and looked into, the breach and all the information being taken and posted on the above internet sites would incentivize the "culprit" to just move to an unencrypted system (or made the current system more robust).

Think about it. Once goons/4chan/etards are involved the information leaks are never going to stop coming. These will/would continue to be posted on internet for the whole world to read. So your information is actually less protected the way it is, and the very existence of this "system" implies that someone would at least have some interest in the information being provided staying private.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at Oct 1, 2012 around 23:15

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

MY GOD. You're right! Up until now I was convinced it was the KGB. Well, I say close the thread now.

Slightly Toasted
Feb 9, 2009

Bunch of people that hate fun up in this thread.

Air Julio
Oct 9, 2005

forever flying, forever

Shut it down, fellas. Show's over. ZombieLenin came back from the grave to crack the case.

Feranon
Sep 10, 2011

People were less prepared for a double juggalo presidency than they ever imagined.

Of course a zombie Lenin wouldn't want us monitoring russian ship activities. We're on to you, you commie gently caress!

Speaking of commies, I wonder how Santa Claus fits into this. I mean, he wears a red suit, monitors everyone's behavior, hands out free poo poo, and lives on the north pole. NORAD doesn't track that fat bastard for nothin'

SquadronROE
Mar 18, 2012

Feranon posted:

Of course a zombie Lenin wouldn't want us monitoring russian ship activities. We're on to you, you commie gently caress!

Speaking of commies, I wonder how Santa Claus fits into this. I mean, he wears a red suit, monitors everyone's behavior, hands out free poo poo, and lives on the north pole. NORAD doesn't track that fat bastard for nothin'

Launching... MIGs... my god...

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

MORTAL KOMB---
Uh, never mind. You're basically tonguing a nuke's butthole right now.

I know this is an ARG for a very specific reason . . .

THAT I WON'T TELL YOU OH poo poo I'M A TROLL

No but really, this is one of the more interesting ones I've seen, and probably the second one I'm interested in playing out.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

MORTAL KOMB---

Also for fucks sake can someone send me a recording of that number that's not terribly sampled thanks.

Edit: I only have a cell phone.

SquadronROE
Mar 18, 2012

dougdrums posted:

Also for fucks sake can someone send me a recording of that number that's not terribly sampled thanks.

Why don't you hop into the IRC chat room? Or check out the site in the OP? It's got some good recordings.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

So this is an ARG about the Russian government attempting to forcibly blockade Santa Claus?

EDIT: Man, I had this joke in my head all day only to be beaten...

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

This is both exciting and confusing as gently caress, I'm new to ARG's and looking at the wiki, Blue Hill website and comments here I don't have a clue what's real and what isn't, it's like the matrix on acid. I'd help but I am not even sure how to set up IRC so I'll just watch for updates and hopefully this is a real conspiracy and you all end up missing (for entertainment purposes).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

Oh my god, a serious Sounding "request" for ideas about some Internet detectivery trying to figure out what is clearly a big loving hoax responded to seriously. gently caress that guy.

Okay, who thinks it is the loving space aliens invade the north pole with migs game?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm beautiful.

ZombieLenin posted:

Oh my god, a serious Sounding "request" for ideas about some Internet detectivery trying to figure out what is clearly a big loving hoax responded to seriously. gently caress that guy.

Okay, who thinks it is the loving space aliens invade the north pole with migs game?

Dude... Half life 3.

Air Julio
Oct 9, 2005

forever flying, forever

ZombieLenin posted:

I doubt many people people think this is a "real" thing. Most of us think it's an "ARG". What we're trying to figure out is what the "messages" are saying, what the ultimate "goal" of the game is, and what it is advertising, if at all. You don't need to "prove" that anything is a "hoax". That is why you have not gotten a serious "answer" to your "serious" request.

Air Julio fucked around with this message at Oct 2, 2012 around 02:38

party hat
Apr 22, 2010

Air Julio posted:

I doubt many people people think this is a "real" thing. Most of us think it's an "ARG". What we're trying to figure out is what the "messages" are saying, what the ultimate "goal" of the game is, and what it is advertising, if at all. You don't need to "prove" that anything is a "hoax". That is why you have not gotten a serious "answer" to your "serious" request.

I think I get what he's saying. The game is a hoax. There is no game, just an elaborate web of lies to make us think there's a game.

I can't wait to see where this game, I mean hoax, goes. I really suck at participating but it's still fun to try and figure it out (and fail miserably).

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Air Julio posted:

It almost seems like he doesn't get what an ARG is. A huge part of the fun is suspending your disbelief, and it works especially well when the ARG blends fact and fiction or utilizes non-game happenings to add drama and tension. It's a "hoax" in the same way the Cloverfield movie was a "hoax" (because NYC was absolutely not destroyed by a giant monster, duh guys!).

ARGs don't need to be done by major game companies either, or even selling a product.

E: Though I do wish this was for Cryostasis 2. It's got icebreakers, the Arctic, Russia... God that game was neat.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at Oct 2, 2012 around 02:27

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

dougdrums posted:

Which numbers do you want dialed and recorded?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

So what's the over/under on this being an ARG for HL3 or Trent Reznor's new album?

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!

Coasterphreak posted:

So what's the over/under on this being an ARG for HL3 or Trent Reznor's new album?

If it was for a Trent Reznor album we'd be getting information about the heavy-handed religious cult that infiltrated, and overtook, the government. The timing for that would be impeccable, I guess.

Man, I miss the Year Zero ARG. I wish they had finished it.

Old Man Pants
Nov 21, 2010

Strippers are people too!

One of my buddies (also a goon) works at level3, I'll show him this thread tomorrow and see what he can find about that number posted earlier.

I love ARG's. I actually snagged one of the iceflys from the gum game last year.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

MORTAL KOMB---

GWBBQ posted:

Which numbers do you want dialed and recorded?

202-999-3335 and 303-309-0004

If you could do 16 bits at 44.1 KHz (or better) it'd be pretty cool.

I'm hoping it's the HL3 soundtrack by Trent Reznor.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at Oct 2, 2012 around 10:43

SquadronROE
Mar 18, 2012

For those of you that don't think you can help because you're not super techny nerdlingtons, I've got a recommendation:

Use logic! The biggest things we're trying to do now (or at least before I went to bed) was to try to crack the "Agent 3323" puzzle. Do some googling around cryptography to get a background, try to figure out what those number/letters could mean. I'd like to think that we would have figured it out if it's a straight replacement scheme, but maybe you'll have the idea that solves it.

The other thing I can recommend is simply scouring the internet for information. There are plenty of loose ends that need to be tied up that aren't sound analysis or decrypting messages. Was it just a coincidence that the 2nd dead drop was hit by a car a day later? Are Blue Hill and its famous residents actually important at all?

SniperX
Feb 10, 2011

I speed the sounds up and down! I'M HELPING!

SquadronROE
Mar 18, 2012

SniperX posted:

I speed the sounds up and down! I'M HELPING!

So we've ruled out any competent foreign intelligence agencies from doing this.. but what if it's North Korea? Or Lichtenstein?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

In case that Rogue Agent thing is 'official', I just wish they'd drop the mysterious X-file inspired babble... who talks like that? "I just seek companionship". A little too romanticized to maintain the illusion for authenticity. Other than that, I'm really enjoying watching the progress of this and I'm in awe of how drat smart some regular joes are... I can't even try and understand what cracking codes like these takes. And I'm digging the whole arctic vibe. A tie-in to Tunguska and/or Diatlov and it'd be perfect

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

tighten up tone down tuen thuen

Can we make a separate thread for ARG reviews?

WMain00
Oct 7, 2008

You can't cut back posting! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

SquadronROE posted:

For those of you that don't think you can help because you're not super techny nerdlingtons, I've got a recommendation:

Use logic! The biggest things we're trying to do now (or at least before I went to bed) was to try to crack the "Agent 3323" puzzle. Do some googling around cryptography to get a background, try to figure out what those number/letters could mean. I'd like to think that we would have figured it out if it's a straight replacement scheme, but maybe you'll have the idea that solves it.

The other thing I can recommend is simply scouring the internet for information. There are plenty of loose ends that need to be tied up that aren't sound analysis or decrypting messages. Was it just a coincidence that the 2nd dead drop was hit by a car a day later? Are Blue Hill and its famous residents actually important at all?

Agent 3323.

Agent DEAD.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

SquadronROE posted:

My guess is that the string of numbers/letters (0A7F FECA 26B6 3ED8 D561 8E59 9569 6F8C C8E5 B5DF BDFA 849C) is a hash of some sort, maybe an SHA hash or something? The fact that the message lists a salt right after suggests it too. Unfortunately I don't know enough to tweak rainbow tables to account for salts or anything.

SquadronROE
Mar 18, 2012

Zelmel posted:

My guess is that the string of numbers/letters (0A7F FECA 26B6 3ED8 D561 8E59 9569 6F8C C8E5 B5DF BDFA 849C) is a hash of some sort, maybe an SHA hash or something? The fact that the message lists a salt right after suggests it too. Unfortunately I don't know enough to tweak rainbow tables to account for salts or anything.

Good idea. That's something worth checking out... if I knew what any of that meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

SquadronROE posted:

Good idea. That's something worth checking out... if I knew what any of that meant.

In relatively simple terms (as I'm not a math or crypto guy) a hash is a one-way cryptographic function (it's the way passwords are typically stored in databases), and a salt is an added value to prevent people from being able to brute force the hash to decrypt it. You can break many hashes (eventually) using rainbow tables, but if they're salted the tables won't work. If you know the salt, you can tweak the tables to account for it, but I don't actually know how to do it.

SHA is just a broad type of hash (encompassing multiple types: SHA-1, SHA-256, etc) often used to uniquely identify software/files in the info security community that I used as an example (I haven't looked up what the unique features of the various types of SHA hashes are to see if this could even be one).

«35 »