Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«35 »
Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Or if a team of agents sent by a shadowy cabal hits your car with an EMP.

Tow truck is going to be manned by a "clean up crew"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

ARG my arse! BBC: US foils Russian tech-smuggling ring

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

However, it is true that I have no idea what I am talking about.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2012 around 13:36

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

rip steve jobs
iOS 1 - iOS 7

Someone else is supposed to be going out there this morning, someone is in contact with them via SMS and will be giving updates on the IRC.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

ffffffffffffff.

I'm on the edge my seat here. I remember following the Portal 2 ARG a couple years back and it was amazing. Even if this isn't for Half-Life, its still amazing to me. Modern day interactive mystery adventures!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

tighten up tone down tuen thuen

That seriously would be awesome if it was intentional.

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

Has anyone survived the Black Lake Cemetery dead drop yet?

I know it's been pointed out, but the arrangement of the three dead drops so far is just spectacular:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

nub posted:

Has anyone survived the Black Lake Cemetery dead drop yet?

No, we have someone that said he was going and he should be getting back with us any time now. But no word so far.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

adamj1982 posted:

No, we have someone that said he was going and he should be getting back with us any time now. But no word so far.

"Car breakdown actually, flat. Just got on spare, abort face today. Nail in tire, sorry gents for the wait"

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

invision posted:

"Car breakdown actually, flat. Just got on spare, abort face today. Nail in tire, sorry gents for the wait"

That's the second person to have something go wrong attempting to go to the location?

WMain00
Oct 7, 2008

You can't cut back posting! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

How interesting.

And by interesting I mean loving freaky.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

I'm not buying it. Either plants or trolls or people not actually wanting to go through with it and coming up with an excuse.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

ExtraNoise posted:

That's the second person to have something go wrong attempting to go to the location?

Yes, yes it is. Though the btard trip was much funnier. This one was just disappointing. We're still looking for someone in the area. If anyone in this thread has any friends they can call; come to IRC and let us know! We've had the info to decode this drop info for a while and it would be cool to get someone out there quickly now as it's a real possibility what we're looking for is already gone.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

If you want more incentive, I'm willing to pay $50 to whoever travels to the drop location and fetches whatever is there.

(I will also pay if the trip turns out to be a failure, as long as you've got a picture to prove you were there)

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

For $50, I'll do it. I live in Minneapolis. It'll have to wait until Saturday, though.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

"BeanBandit! Son of a bitch!"

I'm still willing, but the earliest I can make the trip is Saturday.

Super Dan posted:

For $50, I'll do it. I live in Minneapolis. It'll have to wait until Saturday, though.
We should determine who has the more reliable car.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

You two should go on a road trip together!

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

"BeanBandit! Son of a bitch!"

ymgve posted:

You two should go on a road trip together!

Oh sure, and take out two birds with one stone...

WHO ARE YOU? WHAT DO YOU KNOW?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

rip steve jobs
iOS 1 - iOS 7

BonoMan posted:

I'm not buying it. Either plants or trolls or people not actually wanting to go through with it and coming up with an excuse.

I think the latter. One decided to leave after dark, had his phone die, and allegedly got towed home. I think anyone who's going to a graveyard 2.5hrs away with a dead phone would turn around and make something up.

The other gent was way too excited. Said he'd bring friends and guns and leave at 7AM. He admitted to sleeping in, then said he was on his way, then ignores all messages until his tire allegedly gets a nail. I bet he stayed in bed, put his phone on mute after a few texts, and went back to sleep. Meanwhile I was up at 6AM just to track his trip. Fucker.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

gently caress it, I decided to go tonight. Wish me luck!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Super Dan posted:

Wooo! Good luck out there!

SquadronROE
Mar 18, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Super Dan posted:

Awesome. If you get stabbed in the gut let us know, I'll wire you for medical bills.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Super Dan posted:

Can you also give a trip report about that Steak Escape please?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I've been following this fairly closely but there's one question I must've missed the answer to.. The dead drops have had CDs at them, but have either of these CDs been made readable yet? What's on them?

It's just a bit weird to me that if this is an ARG why would the CDs be encrypted beyond readability? Kinda takes the point out of finding them. Unless this new dead drop in the middle of the last two has the encryption keys on it.

Air Julio
Oct 9, 2005

forever flying, forever

^^The 2nd disc's .bin provided the key to solving 3233. Who knows what other uses they may still have. ^^

Dan is a goon? I feel so much better about this now. Thank god you're not some b-bard.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

This is the cell phone picture supposedly taken by Super Dan a short time ago

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at Oct 5, 2012 around 01:16

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah that's spooky as gently caress.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

tighten up tone down tuen thuen

Yesss...

Bonus points if you can mock up some kind of HL3-looking reference like that sign picture was.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I'm honestly a little scared for this goon's life.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Black Oak... Black Mesa

But seriously, I don't think any ARG has had me this hooked ever. I'm really looking forward to figuring all this out. (And by that I mean watching everyone else figure it out because I'm to stupid to get any of this stuff. )

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

He's there but hasn't found anything yet. The exact coords weren't inside the graveyard itself anyway.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...cr&CRid=2233522

What does "Organized Feb. 1918, Closed Nov. 1969, Mission Accomplished" mean? It can't mean the cemetery was closed in '69 - there are internments after that date.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I mean that picture raises an interesting idea. Now that we have the names of three places latitudinally connected, can any meaningful name or sentence be created from rearrangement of the combined letters of the names of all three places?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

<from IRC> TEXT FROM DAN "I found something"

e; "A single blue laminated index card. the only thing on it are the numbers 7097000122"

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at Oct 5, 2012 around 02:40

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time
so i dont have to
keep telling you retards
what happened

Guys I'm scared.

Sagan
Jan 26, 2005

Welcome to your new existance, mein doppelganger!

An image of the card found:

Breaky
Jul 21, 2006

STRIKE FIRST
STRIKE HARD
NO MERCY SIR

adamj1982 posted:

e; "A single blue laminated index card. the only thing on it are the numbers 7097000122"

Newfoundland area code?

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

adamj1982 posted:

Well that's a phone number, so hopefully it's not random and some person is about to get a thousand calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007
I need sleep more than braaaaaaains...

It's playing a weird tone sequence, almost a song.

Edit: Disconnected after about 90 seconds

«35 »