Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

What's going on here?

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were originally created in 1984 by friends Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird. The comic became an immediate underground hit, and after many years of masterful marketing, the Turtles have become a Pop-Culture icon. Unless you've been under a rock for the last 25 years, you have encountered the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in popular media via movies, comics, cartoons, and even hit video games.

The original television series started in 1987. While the original comic was dark and gritty, the cartoon show placed a much stronger emphasis on humor. Here, the Ninja Turtles are portrayed as four wise-cracking, pizza-obsessed superheroes who fight the forces of evil from their sewer hideout. They make their first appearance in masks color-coded to each turtle, where previously they had all worn red. This series lasted 193 episodes, spanning 10 seasons.

The second iteration of the cartoon was the 2003 reboot by Fox. This series tended to focus less on the humor, and had longer, overarching story lines that covered seasons in length. It was true to the original not only in feel, but in the biographies of the characters compared to the 1987 version. It ended up being a very true to the original series that lasted 156 episodes, spanning 7 seasons.

This time around, Nickelodeon is taking their shot at putting out a Turtles show. In 2009, they bought all rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so everything is in their hands to make it a hit, or crash it into the dirt.

About the show

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/tmnt-main-title-opening.html

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is set in present day New York City, from the glittering towers of Manhattan to the dark depths of the sewers, and follows the adventures of four humanoid turtles and a six-foot-tall rat, Master Splinter. One day, while living a life in seclusion with his four pet turtles, the once human, Splinter, encountered a mysterious green ooze that covered him and his pets. Overcome by the mutagen, he was transformed into a rat and his four pets became humanoid turtles. Fearing persecution from humans, he brought the Turtles underground and raised them, training them to become ninjas. Years have passed since that point and the four turtles, Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello and Michelangelo, are now headstrong teenagers, filled with the confidence of youth and a burning desire to see the world.

Leonardo's a leader in blue, does anything it takes to get his ninjas through!

Meet Leonardo! - Voiced by: Jason Biggs. You know him and love him as the guy who hosed the pie (Jim) in American Pie.

Leonardo, more often known as just Leo, is portrayed as the leader and big brother of the turtles. He is dedicated to his ninjitsu training and to his family and friends. Leo is shown to be extremely selfless, being willing to do anything to protect people he loved. He is also shown to be a perfectionist and frequently blames himself if harm was brought upon people he cared about. He devotes a large amount of time to his training and often his brothers need to "pull him out of his shell". He is usually calm and rarely lost his temper, except for when his loved ones were threatened. He is usually portrayed as being the most talented ninja among the turtles.

Donatello, is a fellow, has a way with machines!

Meet Donatello! - Voiced by: Rob Paulsen. You know him as Yakko Warner from Animaniacs, Pinky from Pinky and the Brain, and oddly enough, Raphael from the 1987 animated Turtles series.

Donatello, also known as Don and Donny, is the most intelligent and peaceful of the turtles. Although he is, like his brothers, an extremely capable ninja, Don prefers studying mechanics rather than practicing ninjitsu. He possesses an incredible knowledge of machinery, even being able to solve problems with technology from a different planet or even a different dimension. Don is quite simply a genius, although his brothers often tease him about his intelligence. He takes their teasing in his stride and rarely loses his temper unlike Raphael. He is generally portrayed as being quiet and withdrawn, preferring to be in the company of machines rather than living beings.

Raphael's got the most attitude on the team!

Meet Raphael! - Voiced by: Sean Astin. You know him as Mikey Walsh from the Goonies, the title character from Rudy, and motherfucking Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings.

Raphael, Raph for short, is the most impatient, aggressive and hot headed of the turtles. He has an extremely short temper and displays considerable joy in combat, genuinely enjoying life threatening situations where he can prove his skill. Raph often gets into fights with Leonardo and Michelangelo, being jealous of Leo's role as the leader and easily annoyed by Mikey's immature personality. Nonetheless he loves them both deeply. Raph has never been seen getting into a fight with Donatello although he frequently teases him about his intelligence.

Michelangelo! He's one of a kind! And you know just where to find him when it's party time!

Meet Michelangelo! - Voiced By: Greg Cipes. You know him as Beast Boy from Teen Titans! and Ironfist from Ultimate Spider-Man.

Michelangelo is consistently portrayed as the most light-hearted and friendly of the four Turtle brothers, considered by some to be the 'Party Dude'. Upbeat and good-natured, 'Mikey' (an affectionate nickname frequently used by his brothers) prefers to spend his time enjoying his life, but Mikey can be serious if the situation calls for it. While his brothers wrestle with the implications of their mutation and their place in the world, Michelangelo enjoys relaxing in front of the TV, skateboarding throughout the labyrinthine underground sewers that the Turtles have made their home, reading comic books, and in other media, eating lots of pizza. Michelangelo's innocent and childlike personality has led to him being referred to as the youngest brother. Michelangelo's brothers, especially Raphael, assume a protective watch over him whenever they venture outside of their abode, and they habitually expect little of their sibling during serious discussions.

What can we expect from this show?

The animation is a really stylish CGI that occasionally incorporates 2-D drawings for static backdrops, or flashback sequences. The action is really dynamic and easy to watch, and the humor is top notch. They occasionally do the silly anime face thing that Teen Titans was known for, but it's less "LOLFUNNYFACE" and more actually displaying emotions.

The series isn't without its dark moments. In particular, during episode 2, they fight a human that has mutated into a plant monster. The dude splits his base so he can walk around, and in doing so basically rips his body apart, exposing the muscle and bone that used to make up his leg.

On top of that, they are drawing inspiration from the original comic. You'll find subtle nods here and there, the most obvious being from the Title Sequence.

The series released this last weekend on Sept. 29, 2012. The show has already performed really well. Pulled from: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=68117

quote:

NEW YORK – Oct. 2, 2012– Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo and Donatello – aka the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – made a triumphant return to television in their new Nickelodeon series premiere this weekend (Saturday, Sept. 29, at 11 a.m., ET/PT), ranking as the week’s top telecast with kids 2-11 (6.2/2.1 million) and boys 6-11 (8.2/837,000) across broadcast and cable TV, and the number-one kids program on basic cable with total viewers (drawing 3.9 million) for the week. Additionally, the new CG-animated version of the series hit a ratings high for Nickelodeon with boys 2-11 (7.5/1.3 million), and was the network’s top-rated premiere for an animated series since 2009. During its premiere weekend the series reached nearly 12 million total viewers.

Following its launch success, Nickelodeon has ordered 26 additional episodes of the series, which will begin airing next year. Additionally, the reintroduction of this storied franchise has already ignited excitement in the licensing community, with the new line of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles consumer products from Playmates Toys being named ‘Hot Toys for the Holidays’ on the prestigious Toys R’ Us and Time to Play lists.

Important Media
Episode One, streaming via nick.com
Episode Two, streaming via nick.com
The Turtles meet their first true love
The 2012 Comic Con panel for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Preview clip for Episode Three, Turtle Temper

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Airs on Saturdays at 11 a.m., ET/PT!
Watch it! I mean, really? Can you say no to these faces?

appletonoutcast fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shinykaylee
Aug 29, 2007
I can kill you with my mind
I freaking loved the hour pilot of this show. It's clever, and the writing isn't dumbed down for the audience, which surprised me considering the time slot (then again, The Clone Wars is on Saturday mornings now too, and that's definitely not entirely kids' fare anymore).

Also, Shredder is voiced by the dude who plays Principal Lewis on American Dad, and it will never not make me laugh.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
The best moment, so far:

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Yeah, I really liked this. The humor is great, the action is great (love the parkour) and it's a really fun show. I also liked how the Shredder looks like his head is all burned up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, it was a good first episode (surprised Nick UK got round to it so fast, we're still waiting for Kora) was missing the samurai yell that always followed '03 Shredder, however.

Also, who's doing the cg work for this?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Really? Just "Heroes in a half shell"? I would've made a more witty title. Something like "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2k12: Bury my shell in Micheal Bay's backyard"

something that only goons like me would get :colbert:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

appletonoutcast posted:

Leonardo leads,

Donatello does machines!

Raphael is cool but rude!

Gimme a break!

Michelangelo is a party dude!

You had a bunch of typos in your OP, so I went ahead and fixed them for you.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I really, really wish they wouldn't use that retarded 80's origin...

"rat turning into mutated rat" makes WAY more sense to children then "guy turns into mutated rat thing because he... touched a rat at somepoint?"

that show was so loving 80's it killed the 80's

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
No way. Splinter being a guy who had to deal with being a rat was way better. The whole "normal rat that learned kung-fu then got mutated" thing was always stupid.

I'm not sure why they made him the guy that dropped the bowl though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Dr_Amazing posted:

No way. Splinter being a guy who had to deal with being a rat was way better. The whole "normal rat that learned kung-fu then got mutated" thing was always stupid.

I'm not sure why they made him the guy that dropped the bowl though.

:psyduck: It's not really anymore stupid than the turtles themselves??

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Hooray, the show has its own thread! I'm a storyboard revisionist on tmnt and it's been really great to see all the positive feedback on the premier. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the show :)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Recycle Bin posted:

Hooray, the show has its own thread! I'm a storyboard revisionist on tmnt and it's been really great to see all the positive feedback on the premier. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the show :)

Any chance you guys will do the Jack Kirby episode again?

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

Any chance you guys will do the Jack Kirby episode again?

I wonder if it would make as much sense in CG, though. It's a lot easier to ape his style in traditional animation. But hey, you never know!

On an unrelated note, check out these "Kappa Assassin Crew" patches everyone who worked on the show got:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

smashpro1 posted:

The best moment, so far:

Nah, the best bit was when splinter chose the leader.

"This is a serious matter. I will meditate on this"
Door shuts. Door opens.
"It's Leonardo"

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

The Blackest Goon posted:

Really? Just "Heroes in a half shell"? I would've made a more witty title. Something like "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2k12: Bury my shell in Micheal Bay's backyard"

something that only goons like me would get :colbert:

What can I say, I'm unoriginal and wanted to play it safe!

Whizbang posted:

You had a bunch of typos in your OP, so I went ahead and fixed them for you.

I'll get right on that.

I didn't touch too much about it in the OP, but I figured I'd talk about my own opinions on the show. I was born in 1985, so I grew up with all of the major old series from the late 80's. TMNT and The Real Ghostbusters were the two biggest in my mind. So my memories of this series are really fond as nostalgia tends to do to them.

The current run of reviving old 80's shows anew, really put out primarily with Cartoon Network, left kind of a sour taste in my mouth. The revival of He-Man in 2002 was mediocre at best, and the recent attempt at Thundercats was terrible. So going into this, I wasn't thrilled. I was turned off by the clunkiness of the turtles shape, what with the almost comically oversized, Megaman like feet and hands. I really went in expecting the worst.

Holy hell was I proven wrong though. The larger limbs on the turtles looks great, and seems to add to the fact that they are, in fact, teenagers and still clunky within their own bodies to some degree. The CGI is smooth and easy to follow even during the fast fight scenes. And the blend of 2D art with 3D CGI creates a really stylish approach to the art direction of this show.

As stated earlier too, the writing is good so far. The Turtles all have their own, well distinct personalities that are easy to differentiate. The dialog is snappy and witty, but without taking itself too seriously (Splinter's instructions were very clear! We're supposed to stay away from people......and bathrooms!) It really doesn't dumb down the dialog either, and there's plenty to keep viewers young and old entertained.

Really, I'm going to be watching this like a hawk and hoping nothing but the best.

Also, Recycle Bin, when can we expect Casey Jones to show up? I can't wait to see how this series handles him.

appletonoutcast fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 4, 2012

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

appletonoutcast posted:

Also, Recycle Bin, when can we expect Casey Jones to show up? I can't wait to see how this series handles him.

Casey is coming in season 2 :)

I love how the turtles are designed. It's really easy to get a shorthand down for them in the boards and get those strong silhouettes. This is also the first iteration to have the turtles look genuinely different from one another. I imagine in the 80's and 2k3 series they had to make some sort of explicit call out in the boards to indicate who's who. On this show I almost never have to do that. It just comes across in their faces, how they hold themselves, etc.

Recycle Bin fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 8, 2012

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Recycle Bin posted:

I love how the turtles are designed. It's really easy to get a shorthand down for them in the boards and get those strong silhouettes. This is also the first iteration to have the turtles look genuinely different from one another. I imagine in the 80's and 2k3 series they had to make some sort of explicit call out in the boards to indicate who's who. On this show I almost never have to do that. It just comes across in their faces, how they hold themselves, etc.

I agree, this was a nice touch. I love the fact that even in the Title Sequence, you can tell which Turtles is which after they get oozed. Having a distinct difference besides skin color is fantastic.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ToastyPotato posted:

:psyduck: It's not really anymore stupid than the turtles themselves??

The turtles learned to fight after they mutated. Splinter was already a freakishly smart rat who learned to fight from watching people, had a full understanding of the relationships of his owner and retained it all after the mutation. The little rat practicing kicks in his cage was just a little too cheesy. Plus Splinter being Hamato Yoshi makes his feud with shredder much more personal.

Recycle Bin posted:

Any chance of getting Bebop and Rock Steady?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Any chance of getting Bebop and Rock Steady?
I think I saw them in the intro.

Mikey looks at the ooze and says "Mom"? That floored me.

Guessing Splinter's daughter is Karai

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 3, 2012

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Here thread, you might like this and find it useful.

ToxicFrog posted:

By the power of shell scripting :science:

gently caress me that's a lot of turtles.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MrFlibble posted:

Nah, the best bit was when splinter chose the leader.

"This is a serious matter. I will meditate on this"
Door shuts. Door opens.
"It's Leonardo"

Yeah, and then when it's explained.

Leonardo: So why did you choose me?
Splinter: You asked, in leadership there is no wrong answer.
Leonardo: So it could have been Mikey?!
Splinter: *Laughs*, Oh, no, thatwouldhavebeenwrong.

Dr Tran posted:

Guessing Splinter's daughter is Karai
That's what I took out of that, though they might be skipping around saying that a baby was murdered. That would have probably have been a bit much to say.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Watched the premiere, it was pretty decent. A little closer to the 1987 show in tone than I was wanting. But the 2003 show already did about as good a job as you can do with the Turtles in animation. At least I actually want to see more unlike when I went back and watched some episodes of the 1987 show again a few years back.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

Watched the premiere, it was pretty decent. A little closer to the 1987 show in tone than I was wanting. But the 2003 show already did about as good a job as you can do with the Turtles in animation. At least I actually want to see more unlike when I went back and watched some episodes of the 1987 show again a few years back.

I got to watch all the commercials and then was told its not available here. Phat.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
I watched this show with absolutely the lowest expectations possible. I don't need to go into my obsession with everything TMNT related when i was a wee tot, but suffice to say I was a loving fan.

I loved the new show! Great voice cast, great designs, great action and fighting, even the theme was catchy. I can't loving pick a favorite turtle. Oh wait, Donatello, duh.

Long as they stay as far the gently caress away from the 2003 ninja turtles cartoon, i see no problems here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Long as they stay as far the gently caress away from the 2003 ninja turtles cartoon, i see no problems here.

Haha, look at this terrible opinion.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH

Deadpool posted:

Haha, look at this terrible opinion.

Oh? You liked Alien squid shredder?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ProfessorLoomis posted:

I've read what that is and I think it's a really clever idea.
But every episode I saw of that (like 2 or 3 or so) was really overblown. Like, it was trying to be all serious while hitting all the usual cliches and none of the dialog grabbed me.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

ProfessorLoomis posted:

At least he was competent!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Actually, very much so. Much better than the one we got in 1987.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Since we're all comparing the different iterations of the Turtles, I feel I should say that anyone who hasn't done so yet should really watch Turtles Forever (look for the Director's cut if you can). The 2003 Turtles meet the 1987 Turtles and it's as wild a nostalgia bomb/fanwank as you would expect. The competent Shredder plots to destroy the "source" dimension, Turtle Prime, which is the original Mirage comic. You don't really need to know much about the 2003 series to appreciate it. My only complaint is that none of the 1987 characters are voiced by their original actors due to some guild poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

What's wrong with the 2003 cartoon? Didn't it run for a very long time? I never watched it, granted, but it didn't look that bad.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty fun and goofy. Not a fan of the new April, but I'll keep watching.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ProfessorLoomis posted:

The comics had lobster claw shredder and shark shredder. So combing Krang into his character isn't so bad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's so weird that Raphael is actually using his Sais the way that they're supposed to be used. That's not the Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles I know!

There's also an interesting form of animation that they're using with the weapons. The actual CGI models are being squashed and stretched into different shapes to help provide the appearance of movement rather than just blurring them. I'm interested in how that will pan out.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Arach posted:

It's pretty fun and goofy. Not a fan of the new April, but I'll keep watching.

I'm willing to give her a chance since she's voiced by Katara/Ninja Ex-Girlfriend/Ann/"Who?"/"Her?"/"Egg?". She's pretty solid when it comes to VA work, so just give the character a couple more episodes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

Actually, very much so. Much better than the one we got in 1987.

2003 Shredder was not voiced by Uncle Phil, your opinion is invalid.

MinibarMatchman posted:

What's wrong with the 2003 cartoon? Didn't it run for a very long time? I never watched it, granted, but it didn't look that bad.

If you ignore the later seasons after season 4 where they got DBZ powers, or where they went to the future, or when they came back from the future and spent all their time fighting bad guys in the internet, then yeah it was pretty good. I thought it went too far in the other direction and took itself a bit too seriously, and the theme song was poo poo, but other than that it was a good show.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 4, 2012

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's so weird that Raphael is actually using his Sais the way that they're supposed to be used. That's not the Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles I know!

There's also an interesting form of animation that they're using with the weapons. The actual CGI models are being squashed and stretched into different shapes to help provide the appearance of movement rather than just blurring them. I'm interested in how that will pan out.

Speaking of fudging the weapons:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
There are a few things I disliked, but nowhere near as many as things I liked or loved. The animation, the art style, the voices, the action, the comedy--all top notch. I loved Raphael's pet turtle. Though, that just makes me think how creepy it would be to keep a pygmy human as a pet.

I'm not a fan of the Splinter origin they decided to use, but that's already been discussed. What I didn't see mentioned, and I'm not sure if this is a carry over from one of the other iterations, is that Splinter, while being very clearly Japanese, has a wife and daughter with very Chinese sounding names. It's not a huge gripe, and they probably wont be mentioned much afterwards, but it kind of irked me. I dunno, maybe they really are Chinese?

Also, because I'm too arsed to look this up, is this the first real instance of one of the turtles (Donny) being attracted to April? I feel that Casey was always brought in early enough that that never really became an issue. Is this show going to go the Gargoyles route and have an inter-species relationship? Kind of weird.

Oh, I also read that Donatelo would be getting a bladed version of his bo. Is that going to just appear, or will there be some kind of story reason for it, I wonder?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Reinanigans posted:

Also, because I'm too arsed to look this up, is this the first real instance of one of the turtles (Donny) being attracted to April? I feel that Casey was always brought in early enough that that never really became an issue. Is this show going to go the Gargoyles route and have an inter-species relationship? Kind of weird.

Oh, I also read that Donatelo would be getting a bladed version of his bo. Is that going to just appear, or will there be some kind of story reason for it, I wonder?

In the comics (and 2003 cartoon) April was more of a sister/mother figure to the turtles. There was a pretty good back up story about it in one of the tales of the tmnt comics.

I have a feeling Raph's pet turtle is going to become Slash, considering he was one of the more popular elements from the old cartoon.

Also Mikey had a chain and scythe as well as his 'chucks so I bet it's a similar situation with Don.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Let's see; used as a means to allow a "human" decapitation in a 4kids cartoon, utterly hosed the turtles' poo poo on more than one occasion, had awesome Samurai sound effect at the end of his scenes, had connection to story worth a drat.

Yes, Yes I do.

• Locked thread