Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3060 »
Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I feel like I just had a religious experience.

quote:

Holy crap! Fear is 17 gigs! Max Payne 3 is 30 gigs!
steamthreadcycle.jpg

This made me laugh. I expected the actual picture to be in the OP, but I guess it's not really that comprehensive after all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

"What do you mean I already own this game, Steam? When the fuck did I buy it?!"

Smirr posted:

I expected the actual picture to be in the OP, but I guess it's not really that comprehensive after all...
Haha, it's actually at the bottom of everything in the last post, under the "Old Circle" link. I just felt like it needed an update.

Since I'm talking about this, here is the entire list from the current steamthread.png:

I'm being increasingly convinced that the people who are gating Steam (what games goes on steam and what not) are morons. <-- if you've never played it, why do you have an opinion on it? <-- OTHER THREAD! <-- Hey, does anyone have a coupon for this game? <-- <GUY> is pretty cool, thanks for gifting me <GAME> <-- GFWL ate my saves, won’t let me play online and killed my dog <-- God drat YOU UBISOFT DRMMMM <-- Guys, my controller isn’t working in this game. Why????? <-- why am i not getting any achievements for this game <-- Either provide a fake address or ask a friendly goon from the States. <-- Amazon downloads are US-only? Eat a cock, Amazon. <-- Contact support and whine to them, not here. <-- Just use Paypal or some poo poo. <-- Guys the store won’t let me buy my poo poo <-- Doug Lombardi is my uncle and he told me THIS SECRET <-- Steam Regedit told me this game is coming to Steam! <-- LOOK AT THE loving RETAIL KEYS LIST, RETARD <-- Can I install this retail game via Steam if I have a CD key <-- Nobody except NERDS cares, duder <-- Hey guys here’s news about the Linux port: <-- Don’t loving beg in here, asswipe. <-- GIVE ME YOUR MAC-RELATED TF2 HATS, pretty pwease <-- Why doesn’t this game have a Mac port / SteamPlay support yet <-- guys, guys, MY UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE MACINTOSH <-- I just discovered Steam for Mac (S4M / SMac / iSteam) <-- IS STEAM / COMMUNITY DOWN FOR ANYONE ELSE <-- Read the loving OP you goddamn morons ugh just ugh <-- DELETE CLIENTREGISTRY.BLOB is the universal fix, dumbass <-- update drivers / defrag drive / install lunix / get out <-- guys my videogame doesn’t run,ha;lp <-- ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!1! <-- Greenlight is a popularity contest / dramafest. <-- Why isn’t this popular indie title on Steam?! <-- Actually, they fixed it. <-- It's dodgy and broken at best, Valve will never fix it <-- B-b-but offline mode guys! <-- We’re all hosed when Valve suddenly closes shop overnight <-- GOG.com loving owns tho, they have PLANESCAPE TORMENT by Chris Avellone-sama~. <-- MY CONSUMER RIGHTS! MY PRIVACY! <-- No it isn’t! <-- Yes it is! <-- No it isn’t! <-- Yes it is! <-- But Origin isn’t that bad, you’re overreacting! <-- Still better than that loving abortion EA uses <-- <-- No, it sucks, but D2D sucked so hard it died~ <-- NOW YOU loving CAN, yaaay <-- Steam is okay, I wish you could install games elsewhere tho <-- Why don't you go and suck Gaben's cock about it? <-- Steam is great! Steam is fantastic! Steam is MY LIFE <-- You could’ve spent that on hookers instead... <-- STEAM CALC TOLD ME I SPENT 10000 $/€/L OH GOD <-- Well MINE has 1391 titles :ssjsmug: <-- Let’s compare game lists, mine has 968 titles <-- Does anyone still have a spare copy they’d give/sell? <-- gently caress I MISSED THE SALE BY A SINGLE SECOND <-- Bu-bu-bu-but my beautiful games list! I shall not sully it with such common trash. <-- Waiting for the price to drop further <-- I JUST loving BOUGHT THAT AT FULL PRICE AUUGHHHH! <-- dude the game runs flawlessly for me, MUST BE YOUR COMPUTER HEH <-- ‘tis a shity console port <-- MY OBJECTIVE OPINION IS RIGHT <-- You’re retarded, your taste sucks, game owns <-- Pfft, I wouldn’t spend a dollar on this piece of poo poo. <-- This criticaly acclaimed game is 99% off, is it any good? <-- HOLY FCUK GUYS LOOK AT THIS FUKKEN SALE <-- Gabe ate it, Gaben is fat lol <-- halflife sucks anyways <-- Where the gently caress is Ep 3?! Or Half-Life 3?! ARGH <-- It’s the publishers that set the prices, dumbass. <-- $ does not equal € VALVE IS loving US AGAIN <-- Guys I live in Europe/Australia, can I get this game gifted tia <-- Yes it does / No, it does not / Just crack the drat thing. <-- Does the Steam version of this game run mods at all? <-- Sure, it's free at [x] but I'd pay $10 just to have it on Steam! <-- Is THIS GAME worth THIS AMOUNT of dollars? <-- Dude, The Secret World is loving 50 gigs! I just... WHAT <-- What about Max Payne 3? That’s about 30 too! <-- Heh, and The Force Unleashed is like 30 <-- Holy crap, FEAR is 17 gigs! <-- Someone buy my dad Railworks’ DLCs tia~ <-- OMG Railworks DLC $$$ lol wut

edit: Realized I was looping some text twice - cut that and fixed the image as well.

Tecman fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2012 around 07:45

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Awesome OP tecman. Voted 5.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'll never doubt you again. And once again: holy gently caress

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

drat, that is a thorough info-dump. Good job.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Well this was a long trip, that you survived remastering the thread across the community update, greenlight and software appearing is commendable. Voted 5, of course, and great job Tecman.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Be advised

Great OP, was trying to read all of it when I realized steam is going to be officially ten years old next year.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Fantastic OP. One teeny-weeny suggestion though. It's probably not a bad idea to point out that there is a difference between Games for Windows Live and the generic Games for Windows branding. The first is obviously MS's Live system that induces rage and the other is just a label put on PC games. I've seen the confusion on that come up a few times.

BARONS GAMES WHINER
Jun 19, 2004

Why didn't the Origin thread have this much effort put in it's OP?

Xabarin
Jun 9, 2006

I don't wanna grow up

Congrats for the OP Tecman, it's the most informative and amazing OP I've ever seen in SA. I can't imagine all the work you've put into this

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Holy poo poo that OP.

While waiting for Dishonored, I'm playing the Thief games. One thing I noticed is that in Thief 3, the guards' alertness changes with the difficulty. Is this the case for Thief 1 and 2 too? I've seen recommendations that you should play them on the highest difficulty level to get more goals to accomplish, but if it's accompanied by psychic guards I'd rather play on Normal.

mordy
Jan 20, 2008

I love to nitpick and

Tecman posted:

Other SA Threads on Steam:

should probably be

Tecman posted:

Other Steam Threads on SA:

Either way, best OP I've ever seen. Voted 5.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way or another.

My God, that is a hell of an OP, Tecman, thanks for putting in all the effort.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

An OP we can all take pride in. Thanks, Tecman!

Steam owns. Also of note: Gamersgate owns. I love spending my blue coins and getting free poo poo. Oh, Titan Quest Gold is $10? I got it for free with my blue coins months ago

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Heres a question to assassins creed fans: I own all of the games to date, but for whatever reason never tackled them in my backlog. I blazed through AC1 without messing with sidequests, and am having way more fun with AC2 so far. Is there a certain game in the series that I should consider the one where I want to really sit down and experience fully rather than basically speedrunning? I'm guessing brotherhood based on what I've heard.

VisAbsoluta
Dec 18, 2009

You truly have raised the bar, Tecman. Congratulations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Heres a question to assassins creed fans: I own all of the games to date, but for whatever reason never tackled them in my backlog. I blazed through AC1 without messing with sidequests, and am having way more fun with AC2 so far. Is there a certain game in the series that I should consider the one where I want to really sit down and experience fully rather than basically speedrunning? I'm guessing brotherhood based on what I've heard.

To be honest, just do as much as you're having fun with. The game won't let you miss anything that furthers your enjoyment of the plot. Brotherhood's probably my favorite of them though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned
me about it.

In a private conversation Tecman told me the OP is actually his Steam University Ph.D.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Why didn't the Origin thread have this much effort put in it's OP?

Because they never put that much effort in their service so why bother?

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Scrolling through that was glorious. It just kept going.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Fantastic OP.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

ymgve posted:

Holy poo poo that OP.

While waiting for Dishonored, I'm playing the Thief games. One thing I noticed is that in Thief 3, the guards' alertness changes with the difficulty. Is this the case for Thief 1 and 2 too? I've seen recommendations that you should play them on the highest difficulty level to get more goals to accomplish, but if it's accompanied by psychic guards I'd rather play on Normal.

They're certainly not psychic on expert though I'm not sure if they become slightly more aware at that level. If they do it's not noticeable to me. Like you said the main difference on expert is the extra objectives, higher loot requirements and less health. Just be aware that you are prohibited from killing so if you do get detected you have less options for dealing with those guards. That said seeing as it's your first go I'd stick with normal (you can change difficulty anytime between missions) until you get comfortable with the game.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Im in the op!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT MY BI-WEEKLY KANJAM CLUB FOR SENIORS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUo1PgKksgw

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This is the best OP I've read in my entire life, great job Tecman.

For those still on the fence about Saints Row 3, get it, there are a good bunch of DLCs that are fun and worth it. I liked Genkibowl and The Problem with Clones.

I got this week the Thief series twice. First on GOG.com and now on Steam . I'm using the fan patches for Thief Gold and Thief II and both work perfectly with high resolutions and even the FOV feels right.

Also, I finished Spec Ops: The Line (bought it on gamefly for 5£) and holy poo poo, what a surprise. The plot is great and made me feel like a total mass murderer and sad. The gameplay is great and cept minor consoleitis related to controls (like jump and melee being on the same key) was an amazing experience.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Meow Tse-tung posted:

In AC2 take some time renovating the villa at the start.
AC:B is all about the sidestuff in a good way, but there is A LOT of it.
AC:R tones down the sidestuff again but you really need to the do the master assassin quests if anything.

In general do hidden tombs/templar lairs and assassination missions in Bro at the very least.
Take your time with each game though, playing too much of the series in a row gets samey fast.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

FUCKING MAGNETS, HOW DO THEY WORK?!

I think you may need to make a separate website at this point. I'm not sure if there is even anything else left to say for the rest of the thread. Pack it up, boys, we're done here.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Bleak are the hearts in summer, long wintertime.

Everyone buy the Thief series or at the very least Thief II. It's probably the greatest game I've ever played. Install this amazing fan patch to get Thief II and Thief Gold working on modern systems with antialiasing, widescreen and 32-bit color.

I was patiently waiting for Dishonored to unlock (thanks again Cowcaster) before I realized it's out on Tuesday in the US and I get to wait until the EU release on Friday. Regions on the internet!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Do you like steak dinners and sex with handsome men?

Maximum Planck posted:

Regions on the internet!

And thus the cosmic dance begins anew.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Maximum Planck posted:

Everyone buy the Thief series or at the very least Thief II. It's probably the greatest game I've ever played. Install this amazing fan patch to get Thief II and Thief Gold working on modern systems with antialiasing, widescreen and 32-bit color.

I was patiently waiting for Dishonored to unlock (thanks again Cowcaster) before I realized it's out on Tuesday in the US and I get to wait until the EU release on Friday. Regions on the internet!

I'm still hoping you will be able to unlock it through a VPN. Though I seem to recall there were a few problems with activating Borderlands 2 that way for other people (never tried myself), so maybe they've plugged that hole now.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

That's the second best OP I've ever seen! (The best one was his Deus Ex: Human Revolution OP)

Seconding any and all Thief game recommendations.

Looks like it's the last day of the THQ sale. I guess I should get that Darksiders II DLC while the gettings good.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh my goodness!

ymgve posted:

I'm still hoping you will be able to unlock it through a VPN. Though I seem to recall there were a few problems with activating Borderlands 2 that way for other people (never tried myself), so maybe they've plugged that hole now.

Nope, worked just fine with Borderlands 2 for me.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

quote:

Holy crap! Fear is 17 gigs! Max Payne 3 is 30 gigs!
steamthreadcycle.jpg

Tecman's OP is 90 gigs! Of awesome. Nice job!

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

He took his vorpal sword in hand,
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thou

Dave Angel posted:

That's the second best OP I've ever seen! (The best one was his Deus Ex: Human Revolution OP)

Seconding any and all Thief game recommendations.

Looks like it's the last day of the THQ sale. I guess I should get that Darksiders II DLC while the gettings good.

I stalled out on DS2, what with Sleeping Dogs, and Dark Souls hitting right about the same time, and then Torchlight 2, and Borderlands 2, and now XCOM and Dishonored.....

I was strongly considering getting the DLC while it is cheap, but I would bet that it will come up again during the winter sale and it isn't like I will be touching it anytime soon anyway. (It is a pretty good game though)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned
me about it.

Tecman, a quickie just for you:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Same but I used Steam Achievement Manager like everyone else.

VisAbsoluta
Dec 18, 2009

Underwhelmed posted:

I stalled out on DS2, what with Sleeping Dogs, and Dark Souls hitting right about the same time, and then Torchlight 2, and Borderlands 2, and now XCOM and Dishonored.....

I was strongly considering getting the DLC while it is cheap, but I would bet that it will come up again during the winter sale and it isn't like I will be touching it anytime soon anyway. (It is a pretty good game though)

I'm in the same situation. Nothing really attention grabbing seemed to come out, and suddenly it's a wave of much anticipated games at the same time as my graduation thesis.

I still skipped Orcs Must Die! 2, Sleeping Dogs, Torchlight II, Darksiders 2, all which I want to play. At least I don't have any interest in Borderlands.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Cocaine!

In a more serious post than my last I'd like to say that in our Teamspeak server (Public, by the way. More info in the OP to hang out with us) we got to hear almost every bit of painstaking work that he put into this. We even all helped contribute! All hail Tecman and all hail #Steamgoons!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Ugh, the Underlord mod for Titan Quest is even starting to try my patience. I'm on my way to Delphi right now at level 9 and there's insanely huge packs of mobs that take forever to kill, give me very little experience in total, and I'm still like 4-5 levels away from even being able to invest in an AoE skill. I'm a Hunter/dream magic person, I believe. It's really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

that certainly is an OP. Well done.

And to add to the inevitable moments for the day...

quote:

Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 are not on Steam any more! I can't buy them, can I still download them?

Crysis 2 is actually back on steam now (also: ). DA2 hasn't re-emerged, though...

«3060 »