Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3060 »
Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Wow, that is an absolutely phenomenal OP.

Can't wait for the Halloween sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blakout
Oct 11, 2008

This is our City, we do whatever the fuck we want to.

I got sleeping dogs and it won't install no permission no screen no nothing anyone have this issue?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Tagra posted:

DA2 hasn't re-emerged, though...

"Nothing of value" etc. etc.

Is there a way to remove the NEW tag from the Community tab? It's starting to get on my nerves, to be honest.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead.

I missed the Thief sale on GoG, how are the Steam versions?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned
me about it.

EDIT: Linked gifs edition.

Hello and welcome to bad-game-write-ups™ series in a fresh beautiful Steam Thread. If you haven't read the previous ones then you should: Cricket: Revolution, Legendary, Revelations 2012, Secret of the Magic Crystals, Gotesque: Tactics, Flatout 3, Numen, Adam's Venture.

Today I'm doing Orion: Dino Beatdown which greeted me with a menu consisting of dinos, soldiers, guns, jetpacks and OMG look at that sweet little kitty:

http://i.minus.com/izzXNeE8V3kuy.gif

Who's a happy little kitty? Who's a kitty kitty kitty? (that's not my Steam avatar)

In this game you shoot dinos. Lots and lots of dinos. Those dinos are out there to eat your...generators.

They don't care for your guns, cars, proper animations, clipping through buildings or any of that crap. Velociraptor antirrhopus doesn't know what UV mapping is, he's a loving reptile get it?

http://i.minus.com/ifn7teZJ3D4Bm.gif
An honest to god regular gameplay gif.

Swarms of superfast crazy dinos are frightening but you're lucky that door openings are what apparently killed the dinosaurs cause they're scared to death by them.

http://i.minus.com/i237kmc10Llaz.gif

Oh look a poor lonely Velociraptor somehow went through and wanted to refill his ammo at the station. Silly raptor - you don't have opposite thumbs .

http://i.minus.com/iqhJivWekYYTc.gif

Anyway in this game you can drive cars get cars stuck in seemingly innocent ways...

http://i.minus.com/ibcNMvmB8sc1i3.gif

...and drive over a Pterodactylus...

http://i.minus.com/iupIMeTK86jwb.gif

...or why not just heal a Pterodactylus while he grabs you out of a car and flies away like an rear end in a top hat?

http://i.minus.com/iBjsR78YqrUt7.gif

But the best thing ever is owning a Tyrannosaurus rex as that scrub can't compare to the firepower of...oh gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress...

http://i.minus.com/imNdDndig1zwk.gif

...gently caress!

Yeah Tyrannosaurus can be a real bitch. What with his size, big teeth and teleportation techniques.

http://i.minus.com/ibqwGAYlB0wSVa.gif

But that's because dinos hate water. You're safe in the water and while your asbestos clad generators get completely devoured by meat eating animals you can just relax and go for a swim amidst your team's agonising screams.

http://i.minus.com/irB37FmWXtS0w.gif
An-actual-Orion-Dino-Beatdown-swimming-animation™

In the end though good guys win and bad dinos lose...

http://i.minus.com/inf7BFd8cV3Vs.gif

...you can enjoy staring into the sunset.

http://i.minus.com/iHOgTggAvgG5X.gif
"Remember to show off the awesome sun beams in this game" - an actual request from one of my teammates so HERE YOU GO JERK, HAPPY?

And lastly the unironically cool feature in this game which is hopping on the wings of a heli controlled by a teammate.

http://i.minus.com/i7QIuQXisRpFU.gif

We would just do this, fly around and let our bases burn.

THE END

Coming up next: Homefront OR Farming Simulator 2011. Which one will I do? You decide!

Palpek fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2012 around 11:56

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Perfectly fine as far as running a late 90's game can get in the age of multiple cores and 64 bit operating systems. You may have to visit ttlg.com's Thief forum for a guide on running them if you get stuck but you should try the new 1.19 patch that dropped a week or so ago first. It should be easy enough to find at http://www.ttlg.com or http://www.sshock2.com.

Yasser Arafatwa
Jan 13, 2009

Whoever stands by a just cause cannot possibly be called a terrorist.

Palpek posted:

Anyway in this game you can drive cars get cars stuck in seemingly innocent ways...

Hello there, Mako from Mass Effect 1.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

Gotta' nuke something.

Except it's not even remotely like the Mako other than the fact that they're both vehicles.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Tecman posted:

In Detail View, you can actually turn Icons on and off by finding the "+" icon to the right of the topmost game entry in your library and left-clicking that - just check and un-check the "Icons" option.

Thanks OP, I've been wondering what happened to those little icons for a while but it seemed like a noob question to ask.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Scalding Coffee posted:

More importantly, will they work with the new fan patch that just came out?

Also, my BOYFRIEND succumbed to the THQ sale and picked up Saint's Row 2. What patches do we need to keep it from making GBS threads itself?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dino Beatdown seems like it was a really neat idea, but the game looks like it is very buggy and has a lot of glitches?

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Palpek posted:

"Remember to show off the awesome sun beams in this game" - an actual request from one of my teammates so HERE YOU GO JERK, HAPPY?

You did it! Yeah, I'm super happy

As far as I can tell, the checklist for this game when they released it:

code:

[x] dinos
[x] guns
[x] a map
[x] a second map
[ ] a third map
[ ] finish animations
[x] bitchin godrays

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

That is the most amazing, ludicrously comprehensive and frighteningly long OP I have ever seen. There should be an award! Thanks a lot Tecman!

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!

Ok. So when's the test? I read that whole thing.

Someone else mentioned it a bit ago, but if you enjoy single player games and FPS's, pick up Spec Ops: The Line while you can. Still cheap as of right now.

http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Spe...6/#.UG7h802aVgg

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Ugh, the Underlord mod for Titan Quest is even starting to try my patience. I'm on my way to Delphi right now at level 9 and there's insanely huge packs of mobs that take forever to kill, give me very little experience in total, and I'm still like 4-5 levels away from even being able to invest in an AoE skill. I'm a Hunter/dream magic person, I believe. It's really annoying.

I think the problem is when a game takes about 25 hours to get through, extending the length of the game through huge numbers of enemies isn't always the best way to go. I've enjoyed it as a change from the normal game, but it's pretty frustrating. I think it's better to just try and slam through the game on Normal difficulty and then give it a real go on the other two difficulties.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Hahaha what the gently caress why did Dino Beatdown switch to a third person view? I could have sworn on launch it was first person only to hide the terrible animations.

Oh well at least it doesn't seem to have changed too much from launch. And by that I mean it still looks loving horrible to play.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Syves posted:

Ok. So when's the test? I read that whole thing.

Someone else mentioned it a bit ago, but if you enjoy single player games and FPS's, pick up Spec Ops: The Line while you can. Still cheap as of right now.

http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Spe...6/#.UG7h802aVgg

I'm going to ask some Standard Steam Thread Questions since I've never bought from Gamefly:

- Is this just a Steam code?
- Do you have to be a Gamefly member?
- Any wacky DRM?

Thank you, please forgive me.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Smoke me a kipper,
I'll be back for breakfast!

Just thought I'd say thanks to Single Tight Female at the end of the last thread! Now I've got the Titan Quest build that I've desired all along! (just reset all my points and put them into different masteries, which I should've been allowed to do before, dangit! )

But yeah, also chiming in about how the OP(s) are very well-done!

Hemish
Jan 24, 2005

I hope some important people at Valve see this OP. This is more like an homage than a simple OP. Gabe Newell, if you're reading this thread, bless Tecman with Bad Rats or something!

On another note, I started playing Scratches : Director's Cut and I must say I had to look up a guide to get past the first day. I missed some pixel hunting, knew what I wanted to do but couldn't because I approached the puzzles the wrong way, didn't know what I was supposed to do at one point, etc...

I know I'm not the smartest person around but I played my fair share of adventure games. It was my favorite genre as a kid. Sadly they were all in English and I only started to really make improvements when my family got the Internet in December 1995. Maybe that's why I like them but will always suck at those games. I played them but never really got them?

Anyway I just finished the first day and I'm wondering if it's worth sticking with it. I'll probably end up looking at the guide often as I can't play games as much as I did when I was young and have the very bad habit of not finishing my games. So I look at guides when I'm stuck for a while. I don't have the luxury to waste all that time anymore!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste?
YUMMY!

Big thanks go out to Drifter who is always good about reminding me that, yes Goon Gifting does happen to me. I am the proud owner of a copy of Spec Ops: The Line thanks to him.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Bovineicide posted:

Also, my BOYFRIEND succumbed to the THQ sale and picked up Saint's Row 2. What patches do we need to keep it from making GBS threads itself?

The fabulous goon project Gentlemen of the Row and dollops of luck.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011

Bovineicide posted:

http://forums.steampowered.com/foru...d.php?t=1715922
Powertools in the big one.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead.

Bovineicide posted:

Be prepared for crashes at any time. Mine happens every time I spend more than a minute on playing dress-up. Save after every single garment you put on. Don't worry about the bonuses they provide since you get a tiny percentage boost.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

I'm going to ask some Standard Steam Thread Questions since I've never bought from Gamefly:

- Is this just a Steam code?
- Do you have to be a Gamefly member?
- Any wacky DRM?

Thank you, please forgive me.

For anybody curious:

- No, it's a download.
- Nope.
- You have to use their client, which is lame, but I've wanted to play this game since it came out, and $7.50 is the right price.

Thanks for the heads up, thread.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Soul Glo posted:

For anybody curious:

- No, it's a download.
- Nope.
- You have to use their client, which is lame, but I've wanted to play this game since it came out, and $7.50 is the right price.

Thanks for the heads up, thread.

The code for spec ops you get from gamefly is redeemable on steam. I know this because that's what I did.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Lakbay posted:

The code for spec ops you get from gamefly is redeemable on steam. I know this because that's what I did.

Where at?! When I clicked on buy it just guided me to download their client to search to game's page and download from there.

e: They email it to you. Email .

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2012 around 01:11

VisAbsoluta
Dec 18, 2009

Hemish posted:

Anyway I just finished the first day and I'm wondering if it's worth sticking with it. I'll probably end up looking at the guide often as I can't play games as much as I did when I was young and have the very bad habit of not finishing my games. So I look at guides when I'm stuck for a while. I don't have the luxury to waste all that time anymore!

If you like the overall atmosphere, it is worth continuing, because the game does it very well.

However, the actual gameplay is marred by poor design choices, like pixel hunting and, most importantly, obtuse flags that you need to check in order to be able to progress (i.e.you have to do A before the game lets B happen, but they aren't related in a logical way, so it's difficult to deduct without checking a guide/being lucky), therefore your mileage may vary.

Syrg Sapphire
Mar 27, 2007

i know you love me but i'm still gone

Palpek posted:

Today I'm doing Orion: Dino Beatdown which greeted me with a menu consisting of dinos, soldiers, guns, jetpacks and OMG look at that sweet little kitty:

Legit serious, though: if you get a crew of people together, especially on-mic, this turns into a stupidly fun horde mode shooter. I really hope they get their poo poo together and add in the old maps soon (there were formerly 3, the game currently has 2 new ones while the others are "adapted") just so things can become crazier.

The current maps are pretty loving big for a horde game, but the old ones were apparently their attempts to be PLANETS.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soul Glo posted:

Where at?! When I clicked on buy it just guided me to download their client to search to game's page and download from there.

e: They email it to you. Email .

For anyone else looking to actually navigate that really crappy gamefly site:
  • tippy-top right side above the search form click on my account
  • On the bottom left within the bighuge MY ACCOUNT heading there're 2 subheadings, Account Profile and Account Activity, each containing a few subsections.
  • within Account Activity click Purchase History, then click the chosen Order Number link.

Your steam codes will be there, too.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Drifter posted:

For anyone else looking to actually navigate that really crappy gamefly site:
  • tippy-top right side above the search form click on my account
  • On the bottom left within the bighuge MY ACCOUNT heading there're 2 subheadings, Account Profile and Account Activity, each containing a few subsections.
  • within Account Activity click Purchase History, then click the chosen Order Number link.

Your steam codes will be there, too.

Their client looked (in the few minutes I looked at it) at least as good as if not better than Origin. It didn't help that I was looking for the download while on a phone call, but yeah, this is nice to know for future purchases.

Yasser Arafatwa
Jan 13, 2009

Whoever stands by a just cause cannot possibly be called a terrorist.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Except it's not even remotely like the Mako other than the fact that they're both vehicles.

I dunno it looks identical to situations I got into trying to drive that god awful vehicle around! vv Sorry if I touched a nerve or something?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness

Soul Glo posted:

Their client looked (in the few minutes I looked at it) at least as good as if not better than Origin. It didn't help that I was looking for the download while on a phone call, but yeah, this is nice to know for future purchases.

I've never seen their client, just their website.
And I mean crappy because things are hard to find. How dumb is it that I have to check for my purchase history to find my games instead of just a general library page? There' nothing unified about it. That's what I meant.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

The gamefly website is crap but yeah I probably wouldn't have too much of an issue with using their client. Seems totally fine to me.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Holy christ, good job Tecman - now I can put reading the entire OP in my backlog.

Spent a chunk of yesterday playing through Sleeping Dogs, and other than my system locking up now and then and/or Steam being a dick, it's great and possibly surpasses Saints Row 2/3 for getting the shooting while driving mechanic right by using slowdown when you aim/shoot. There's a lot of super satisfying stuff in there, from the wholly realized world to well written story and dialogue bits to the vehicle physics and etc etc. I did get a funny continuity bug where I already killed Dogeyes but then got a Face mission from Conroy where Wei says something along the lines of "doing this'll really put the hurt on Dogeyes".

blakout posted:

I got sleeping dogs and it won't install no permission no screen no nothing anyone have this issue?
I came back to the game after leaving it for about a month, and kept getting "Steam servers too busy (Error ##)" problems, and they've mostly been solved by allowing Steam to run with admin privileges; I think it's basically the game trying to update or something, and it needed the privileges to do them. On the other hand, I keep getting these errors sometimes as I spam-launch the game until it works, and I think it might have to do with calls home for DRM-checking or that Social Hub thing.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

No one warp core should have all that power, Captain!

Bovineicide posted:

For what it's worth, I know that the Powertools have an option to auto-detect the settings to use for the CPU cycle slowdown, but this didn't work at all for me. Since then (holy poo poo like a year almost?) they may have updated it, but SR3 came out just a bit after I used the Powertools and they actually made my game run worse when I did the auto-detect.

Gentlemen of the Row works wonderfully though. I believe the SR2 modding thread is in the Elder Scrolls/Saints Row subforum, unless it got sent off to the archives.

Sir Shion
Nov 14, 2003

On a never-ending quest.

This thread jesus christ. I think Pins was right, this is less an OP and more a doctoral thesis.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Humerus posted:

For what it's worth, I know that the Powertools have an option to auto-detect the settings to use for the CPU cycle slowdown, but this didn't work at all for me. Since then (holy poo poo like a year almost?) they may have updated it, but SR3 came out just a bit after I used the Powertools and they actually made my game run worse when I did the auto-detect.

Gentlemen of the Row works wonderfully though. I believe the SR2 modding thread is in the Elder Scrolls/Saints Row subforum, unless it got sent off to the archives.
I played through the game with it running pretty well with a dual core 2.2GHz and 8 GB RAM, though online co-op was still iffy, and ran better when I went to a quad-core 3GHz. The game is starting to show its age, but is still a lot of fun, and oh man, the Brotherhood missions

Edit: didn't need Powertools either

Hemish
Jan 24, 2005

VisAbsoluta posted:

If you like the overall atmosphere, it is worth continuing, because the game does it very well.

However, the actual gameplay is marred by poor design choices, like pixel hunting and, most importantly, obtuse flags that you need to check in order to be able to progress (i.e.you have to do A before the game lets B happen, but they aren't related in a logical way, so it's difficult to deduct without checking a guide/being lucky), therefore your mileage may vary.

Thanks. I think I'll stick with it. It's all for the great goal of enjoying myself and having the fuzzy feeling of beating a title from my backlog.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Congratulations of finally getting the thread posted Tecman, its god drat amazing. Thanks for putting so much work into it over the last few months.

All hail Theadmaster Techman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

What else could I say?
Everyone is gay

I'm pretty sure there are games on Steam itself that have less effort put into them this this OP.

«3060 »