Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2643 »
Space Racist
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm pretty sure there are games on Steam itself that have less effort put into them this this OP.

Reminds me of the greatness that was his Deus Ex: HR OP. Tecman is seriously one of the finest posters on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tecman posted:

Haha, it's actually at the bottom of everything in the last post, under the "Old Circle" link. I just felt like it needed an update.

Since I'm talking about this, here is the entire list from the current steamthread.png:

I'm being increasingly convinced that the people who are gating Steam (what games goes on steam and what not) are morons. <-- if you've never played it, why do you have an opinion on it? <-- OTHER THREAD! <-- Hey, does anyone have a coupon for this game? <-- <GUY> is pretty cool, thanks for gifting me <GAME> <-- GFWL ate my saves, won’t let me play online and killed my dog <-- God drat YOU UBISOFT DRMMMM <-- Guys, my controller isn’t working in this game. Why????? <-- why am i not getting any achievements for this game <-- Either provide a fake address or ask a friendly goon from the States. <-- Amazon downloads are US-only? Eat a cock, Amazon. <-- Contact support and whine to them, not here. <-- Just use Paypal or some poo poo. <-- I'm being increasingly convinced that the people who are gating Steam (what games goes on steam and what not) are morons. <-- if you've never played it, why do you have an opinion on it? <-- OTHER THREAD! <-- Hey, does anyone have a coupon for this game? <-- <GUY> is pretty cool, thanks for gifting me <GAME> <-- GFWL ate my saves, won’t let me play online and killed my dog <-- God drat YOU UBISOFT DRMMMM <-- Guys, my controller isn’t working in this game. Why????? <-- why am i not getting any achievements for this game <-- Either provide a fake address or ask a friendly goon from the States. <-- Amazon downloads are US-only? Eat a cock, Amazon. <-- Contact support and whine to them, not here. <-- Just use Paypal or some poo poo. <-- Guys the store won’t let me buy my poo poo <-- Doug Lombardi is my uncle and he told me THIS SECRET <-- Steam Regedit told me this game is coming to Steam! <-- LOOK AT THE loving RETAIL KEYS LIST, RETARD <-- Can I install this retail game via Steam if I have a CD key <-- Nobody except NERDS cares, duder <-- Hey guys here’s news about the Linux port: <-- Don’t loving beg in here, asswipe. <-- GIVE ME YOUR MAC-RELATED TF2 HATS, pretty pwease <-- Why doesn’t this game have a Mac port / SteamPlay support yet <-- guys, guys, MY UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE MACINTOSH <-- I just discovered Steam for Mac (S4M / SMac / iSteam) <-- IS STEAM / COMMUNITY DOWN FOR ANYONE ELSE <-- Read the loving OP you goddamn morons ugh just ugh <-- DELETE CLIENTREGISTRY.BLOB is the universal fix, dumbass <-- update drivers / defrag drive / install lunix / get out <-- guys my videogame doesn’t run,ha;lp <-- ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!1! <-- Greenlight is a popularity contest / dramafest. <-- Why isn’t this popular indie title on Steam?! <-- Actually, they fixed it. <-- It's dodgy and broken at best, Valve will never fix it <-- B-b-but offline mode guys! <-- We’re all hosed when Valve suddenly closes shop overnight <-- GOG.com loving owns tho, they have PLANESCAPE TORMENT by Chris Avellone-sama~. <-- MY CONSUMER RIGHTS! MY PRIVACY! <-- No it isn’t! <-- Yes it is! <-- No it isn’t! <-- Yes it is! <-- But Origin isn’t that bad, you’re overreacting! <-- Still better than that loving abortion EA uses <-- <-- No, it sucks, but D2D sucked so hard it died~ <-- NOW YOU loving CAN, yaaay <-- Steam is okay, I wish you could install games elsewhere tho <-- Why don't you go and suck Gaben's cock about it? <-- Steam is great! Steam is fantastic! Steam is MY LIFE <-- You could’ve spent that on hookers instead... <-- STEAM CALC TOLD ME I SPENT 10000 $/€/L OH GOD <-- Well MINE has 1391 titles :ssjsmug: <-- Let’s compare game lists, mine has 968 titles <-- Does anyone still have a spare copy they’d give/sell? <-- gently caress I MISSED THE SALE BY A SINGLE SECOND <-- Bu-bu-bu-but my beautiful games list! I shall not sully it with such common trash. <-- Waiting for the price to drop further <-- I JUST loving BOUGHT THAT AT FULL PRICE AUUGHHHH! <-- dude the game runs flawlessly for me, MUST BE YOUR COMPUTER HEH <-- ‘tis a shity console port <-- MY OBJECTIVE OPINION IS RIGHT <-- You’re retarded, your taste sucks, game owns <-- Pfft, I wouldn’t spend a dollar on this piece of poo poo. <-- This criticaly acclaimed game is 99% off, is it any good? <-- HOLY FCUK GUYS LOOK AT THIS FUKKEN SALE <-- Gabe ate it, Gaben is fat lol <-- halflife sucks anyways <-- Where the gently caress is Ep 3?! Or Half-Life 3?! ARGH <-- It’s the publishers that set the prices, dumbass. <-- $ does not equal € VALVE IS loving US AGAIN <-- Guys I live in Europe/Australia, can I get this game gifted tia <-- Yes it does / No, it does not / Just crack the drat thing. <-- Does the Steam version of this game run mods at all? <-- Sure, it's free at [x] but I'd pay $10 just to have it on Steam! <-- Is THIS GAME worth THIS AMOUNT of dollars? <-- Dude, The Secret World is loving 50 gigs! I just... WHAT <-- What about Max Payne 3? That’s about 30 too! <-- Heh, and The Force Unleashed is like 30 <-- Holy crap, FEAR is 17 gigs! <-- Someone buy my dad Railworks’ DLCs tia~ <-- OMG Railworks DLC $$$ lol wut

Win.

VisAbsoluta
Dec 18, 2009

Hemish posted:

Thanks. I think I'll stick with it. It's all for the great goal of enjoying myself and having the fuzzy feeling of beating a title from my backlog.

Then go ahead! Here, in this thread, we all know how it feels!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the cow

X-Blades is a pretty bad game and the anime butts are weird.

Baish
Jul 29, 2010

Cowman posted:

They really can't be compared to faerie butts.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009

New IndieGameStand

Geneforge Saga, all 5 games, for $1 minimum, comes with Steam and GOG keys. Beat the average to get hintbooks for games 4 & 5 and some wallpapers.

Hemish
Jan 24, 2005

Baish posted:

They really can't be compared to faerie butts.

We also have the space butts from Mass Effect. Butts are quite popular in our games. Would it be too cheeky to spread the idea of a study on that matter? That's something I could get behind.

I think Scratches just broke my brain with the non related events I had to do just to progress forward.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Hurry-up no-huddle posting

Lavatein posted:

New IndieGameStand

Geneforge Saga, all 5 games, for $1 minimum, comes with Steam and GOG keys. Beat the average to get hintbooks for games 4 & 5 and some wallpapers.
Geneforge thread is here if you're looking for more info. A pretty good summary:

Jonny Retro posted:

Apparently you play some kind of facist bio-wizard that's been shipDrayk-wrecked on the Forbidden Isle and now you're supposed to wander around beating people up with your pokemens.
Old-school CRPGs, text-heavy, isometric, turn-based combat. Really cool that it includes GOG keys cause a few people have problems running the versions on Steam and the GOG versions are said to fix that.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

"Bow before your four foot master!"

GOG keys are such a cool new development. I'm glad they can offer that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

FUCKING MAGNETS, HOW DO THEY WORK?!

Did Steam ever increase the size of the friends list? Back last year/earlier this year it was like 100 people, which sucked for adding tons of goons. When the community refresh hit, I was hoping they might have upped the size, but I never remembered to check. Any news?

havenwaters
Nov 11, 2011

He has a ghost butt, for one thing, a GHOST BUTT, jade!

Put your hands down john

XboxPants posted:

Did Steam ever increase the size of the friends list? Back last year/earlier this year it was like 100 people, which sucked for adding tons of goons. When the community refresh hit, I was hoping they might have upped the size, but I never remembered to check. Any news?

I have 162 so it is larger than 100 at least. I still believe there is a limit though. It might be 300 or slightly below that.

37th Chamber
Jun 5, 2007

For the longest time the cap was 250 friends, then raised to 300 if you linked Facebook. Not sure if these are still accurate or I'm talking out my rear end.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

can you still get mroe friend slots by adding it to a facebook account? I seem to remember that was a thing.

edit: stinkyhole. Beaten like a lazy wife.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

sholin posted:

For the longest time the cap was 250 friends, then raised to 300 if you linked Facebook. Not sure if these are still accurate or I'm talking out my rear end.

Yeah its 300 with a linked Facebook. I had 300 until I culled it down last night to 297 -_-

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Canu'r dydd a canu'r nos

It goes without saying that this thread has the greatest OP in the history of everything, but it's also the most welcoming and fun community even remotely related to videogames.

If you're lurking, and want to get in on the ground floor for this thread as an awesome dude who gifts meaningful games, then buy some extra copies of whatever half-way decent indie bundle or AAA title is on sale right now, and hold onto them for a while. In a few weeks, consider giving them away to any dude who's avatar you notice pop up more than once a day to make the thread a better place, or some dude who's avatar you recognise from awesome posting in another thread.

You could use The Gifting Thread to give them away, but I don't think those gifts really get appreciated. I know goons in this thread who have 200+ game backlogs, but will go out of their way to play through a game they were gifted, because it's just really loving cool to get or receive a gift of genuine appreciation, even if it's for posting a message on the internet!

Also, and I'm sure this is mentioned in the OP, but I can't stress it enough :

When you buy a game, add it to your inventory, not your library, and leave it there until you have time to play it. This thread is going to make you buy a lot of games. You won't play them all. As long as the game is in your inventory and not your library, you can freely trade / gift it at any time.

tehsid posted:

Yeah its 300 with a linked Facebook. I had 300 until I culled it down last night to 297 -_-

I survived the cull!
08/10/12 Never Forget

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way or another.

Tyma posted:

I know goons in this thread who have 200+ game backlogs, but will go out of their way to play through a game they were gifted, because it's just really loving cool to get or receive a gift of genuine appreciation, even if it's for posting a message on the internet!

I still have games that I was gifted that I haven't had a chance to play through because there is so much other stuff and so little time, and I feel terrible about it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Somebody's gonna have to make an indiegamestand account to redeem this key in order to get a steam code, but IGS-6O0NV-DOL97-3L8U6. Here you go.

If it's gone, it's gone, don't post here that it's been used. I don't fuckin' care.

Also,

Drifter fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2012 around 05:46

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Jerusalem posted:

I still have games that I was gifted that I haven't had a chance to play through because there is so much other stuff and so little time, and I feel terrible about it.

You and me both, man. I've had to ask people to not gift me games because my massive backlog of gifts make me feel awful.

But goonerosity is amazing. Infact, Lock helped me get a copy of Portal 2 for a friend of mine so we could play coop. When I asked hIm what he wanted for it, he didn't want anything

So I gifted him anyway

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

http://indiegamestand.com/

Pay what you want for Geneforge 1-5. Steam or GOG key. Hell yeah.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Jerusalem posted:

I feel you on this for sure. But anytime I've gotten / given a gift from or to a goon (I actually just got a nice surprise on getting home of the Hearthfire DLC for Skyrim from Kragger99, bless him) the understanding is always that there's absolutely no rush. The spirit that gifts are given in around here is as astonishing as the gifts themselves, really.

It seems like sometimes people feel like they have to push through a gift if they aren't enjoying it, too, which is a shame. If someone gives you something that they want you to have fun with, it's doubtful they want you to suffer if you turn out not to enjoy it.

edit: That Geneforge deal is an insanely good value, I've only played the first one but they are huge, well written and executed isometric CRPGs with solid mechanics if you can wrangle the interface, which isn't nearly as daunting as it seems.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it?
My coffee warned
me about it.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Legit serious, though: if you get a crew of people together, especially on-mic, this turns into a stupidly fun horde mode shooter. I really hope they get their poo poo together and add in the old maps soon (there were formerly 3, the game currently has 2 new ones while the others are "adapted") just so things can become crazier.

The current maps are pretty loving big for a horde game, but the old ones were apparently their attempts to be PLANETS.
Yeah Dino Beatdown is more fun than it has any right to be. I don't regret a single hour put into it (and I put several, yeah that's right).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

ReWinter posted:

edit: That Geneforge deal is an insanely good value, I've only played the first one but they are huge, well written and executed isometric CRPGs with solid mechanics if you can wrangle the interface, which isn't nearly as daunting as it seems.

I think EVERYONE'S only played partway through the first one. haha. But yes, they're great fun and quite good.

Plus, when Kragger gifts me things he brings a tear to my eye. It's just nice being remembered.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

In regards to Titan's Quest with the Underlord mod, I think I finally got over the massive early game hump. By the time I was done with the little village on the way to Megara, I felt a lot more even with my enemies. At the point I am now, doing sidequests in Megara, I feel a lot more confident about what I'm doing and am dying a LOT less, while still being in danger of dying. It helps that I found a green weapon and managed to finish TWO attack speed relics. I'm like a goddamn whirlwind of destruction now.

Also, I found a recipe for an artifact, and these things seem to require some massive investment. I assume they're totally worth it, though. You seem to need to have been incredibly lucky to have gotten all the required stuff though... Either that, or to have grinded like crazy.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Thanks to the new OP, I now have got my Steam all skinned up and looking snazzy as gently caress. Also: less huge. So thanks for that Tecman.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Luisfe posted:

http://indiegamestand.com/

Pay what you want for Geneforge 1-5. Steam or GOG key. Hell yeah.

It's actually Steam and GOG keys.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Tecman? More like, Theman. Great job again (already gold!), loved the DX:HR thread.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Cocaine!

Cowman posted:

Excuse you good sir, my avatar, Miss Ayumi would like to have a word with you.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I have been through nightmares you wouldn't believe. I've seen the foulest deeds man can inflict upon man, and done the same and worse to people who didn't deserve a thing. While we were talking, while you sat there in your chair, I killed a man.

It's who I am. You'll just have to accept it.

Jesus, Tec. Jesus.

Also I may have to try this Steam skins thing. I didn't even know it was A Thing.

AxeManiac
Nov 13, 2000

Always Drinking

Palpek posted:

Hello and welcome to bad-game-write-ups™ series in a fresh beautiful Steam Thread. If you haven't read the previous ones then you should: Cricket: Revolution, Legendary, Revelations 2012, Secret of the Magic Crystals, Gotesque: Tactics, Flatout 3, Numen, Adam's Venture.

Today I'm doing Orion: Dino Beatdown which greeted me with a menu consisting of dinos, soldiers, guns, jetpacks and OMG look at that sweet little kitty:

[img]http://i.minus.com/izzXNeE8V3kuy.gif[img]

Who's a happy little kitty? Who's a kitty kitty kitty? (that's not my Steam avatar)

In this game you shoot dinos. Lots and lots of dinos. Those dinos are out there to eat your...generators.

They don't care for your guns, cars, proper animations, clipping through buildings or any of that crap. Velociraptor antirrhopus doesn't know what UV mapping is, he's a loving reptile get it?

[img]http://i.minus.com/ifn7teZJ3D4Bm.gif[img]
An honest to god regular gameplay gif.

Swarms of superfast crazy dinos are frightening but you're lucky that door openings are what apparently killed the dinosaurs cause they're scared to death by them.

[img]http://i.minus.com/i237kmc10Llaz.gif[img]

Oh look a poor lonely Velociraptor somehow went through and wanted to refill his ammo at the station. Silly raptor - you don't have opposite thumbs .

[img]http://i.minus.com/iqhJivWekYYTc.gif[img]

Anyway in this game you can drive cars get cars stuck in seemingly innocent ways...

[img]http://i.minus.com/ibcNMvmB8sc1i3.gif[img]

...and drive over a Pterodactylus...

[img]http://i.minus.com/iupIMeTK86jwb.gif[img]

...or why not just heal a Pterodactylus while he grabs you out of a car and flies away like an rear end in a top hat?

[img]http://i.minus.com/iBjsR78YqrUt7.gif[img]

But the best thing ever is owning a Tyrannosaurus rex as that scrub can't compare to the firepower of...oh gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress...

[img]http://i.minus.com/imNdDndig1zwk.gif[img]

...gently caress!

Yeah Tyrannosaurus can be a real bitch. What with his size, big teeth and teleportation techniques.

[img]http://i.minus.com/ibqwGAYlB0wSVa.gif[img]

But that's because dinos hate water. You're safe in the water and while your asbestos clad generators get completely devoured by meat eating animals you can just relax and go for a swim amidst your team's agonising screams.

[img]http://i.minus.com/irB37FmWXtS0w.gif[img]
An-actual-Orion-Dino-Beatdown-swimming-animation™

In the end though good guys win and bad dinos lose...

[img]http://i.minus.com/inf7BFd8cV3Vs.gif[img]

...you can enjoy staring into the sunset.

[img]http://i.minus.com/iHOgTggAvgG5X.gif[img]
"Remember to show off the awesome sun beams in this game" - an actual request from one of my teammates so HERE YOU GO JERK, HAPPY?

And lastly the unironically cool feature in this game which is hopping on the wings of a heli controlled by a teammate.

[img]http://i.minus.com/i7QIuQXisRpFU.gif[img]

We would just do this, fly around and let our bases burn.

THE END

Coming up next: Homefront OR Farming Simulator 2011. Which one will I do? You decide!

These are neat, but you can't flood us with that many animated gifs, link them please

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004

Welp! That's the best op in history. Great work man.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Sup', Commander?: Forged Alliance is a daily deal for $3.74 on GamersGate, registers on Steam.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

not one bit

Well, time is running out and even though I'm short on funds, I don't want to miss on Armageddon, so I'm starting a four pack.

Worms Revolution + Armageddon, 7.75€ a piece (about 10 USD)
1- Saoshyant (buyer)
2- Saoshyant (second copy)
3- Kyrosiris
4- Chinook

edit: closed!. I'll be contacting you over Steam.

We only have two days if we want to take the preorder bonus and get Armageddon (and some other stuff for Revolution I guess).

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2012 around 12:18

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when people are summoning you all over the place to "be their friend".

http://steamcommunity.com/id/moxruby - I'll jump in on that with you, Saoshyant. Let me know where I need to send sweet, sweet paypal dollars.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Saoshyant posted:

Worms Revolution + Armageddon, 7.75€ a piece (about 10 USD)
1- Saoshyant (buyer)
2- Saoshyant (second copy)
3- Kyrosiris
4- frogg

I'm in.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/rajk

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it?
My coffee warned
me about it.

AxeManiac posted:

These are neat, but you can't flood us with that many animated gifs, link them please
Ok I guess I'll try to mix those up with images next time.

But the question still remains: Homefront or Farming Simulator 2011

BARONS GAMES WHINER
Jun 19, 2004

Palpek posted:

Farming Simulator 2011

Obviously. Because I gave it to you.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Where's my Harper's?

Farming Simulator at least does what it says on the can (kind of tempted to pick it up myself) but Homefront, hmmm, heard nothing good about that.

Julien
Jun 26, 2007

Meanies only take NO
for an answer!

Homefront is completely mediocre in the worst sense of the word.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Homefront isn't so bad it's funny, it's just really generic. I played through it a few months back and this is the closest thing to a funny screenshot I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

Maury deals with real people with real problems. He helps try to solve mysteries of guests who have no where else to turn to get answers.

The single player campaign was laughably awful, but the multiplayer is a lot of fun for a modern military shooter. Granted, I have no idea if the pc still has people playing but it was still going strong when I played on the xbox a few months back.

«2643 »