Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Let's just go to bed and wake up to the news of the Bolivarian Dream shattered into pieces.

Or not. For all I know the Venezuelan media could intentionally misreport a Capriles win before the results are given in order to cause a loving shitstorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Russell William Thorpe posted:

Has a right-wing leader in Central/South America ever lead to good things?

I guess you could say Óscar Arias had a good foreign policy (social democrat, though). And argentineans always freak out about this but Perón could be considered as right-wing depending on the perspective.
The number of leaders in Central/South America that have lead to good things can be counted with the fingers of a single hand, and if we're talking about those whose good things have prevailed over time instead of fizzing out right after they step out of power, the list would include José Figueres and... that's about it.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Drogadon posted:

On his first term yes, on his second term he kicked out the Taiwanese embassy in exchange of Chinese money under the influence of his evil brother Rodrigo (who will probably win in 2014 because people are remarkably stupid). That was an extremely lovely thing to do to a country that had been our ally for decades

Sorry for the derail

Hey, they squeezed a bridge out of the taiwanese and a stadium out of the chinese, that's a pretty good deal.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Frijolero posted:

"Caracas, City of Farewells"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsD8Edq2cgw

This is a video by what appear to be middle-class/upper-class Venezuelan youngsters. They claim that the situation is so bad that they are intending on leaving. Many of their friends have already left. It is really unpopular because many Venezuelans are offended by the idea of these young adults complaining about their conditions (also it seems that they think they are ditzy/innocent/dumb). The description says "Please don't clap when the airplane lands."

Though I'm not Venezuelan and know almost nothing about the conditions (aside from talking to several people from Caracas) it seems like this video is forced and biased. The people in the video must be relatively well-off if they can afford to leave. I've seen these sentiments among many middle-class/upper-class Venezolanos. They are anti-Chavez because they can afford to.

To refloat a LF classic: "p-pero... mi dinero?? mis videojuegos??"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

PrezCamachoo posted:

It was technically Chaven's closest election. So maybe down the line the new opposition will continue to grow and develop.

The alliance supporting Capriles splintered just a few days before the elections so probably not.
Chávez could still die though I guess.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's admittedly by way of a biased source, but this particular op/ed article suggests that cadenas are not exclusively being used for emergency purposes. At least, I cannot see why a speech by Chavez to steelworkers is an "emergency." But I'm willing to accept that the cadenas are not necessarily an emergency mechanism but rather a mechanism closer to American prime-time speeches given by the President (if, perhaps, excessive in quantity).

(Please note that I don't mean to reference the article to refer to the actual partisan substance in it, being an accusation of malfeasance in production, but rather specifically to the possible over-use of the cadena.)

EDIT: e;fb This was already linked above, and after all, an anecdote is not data.
I'm not sure if it's a latin american thing but yes, cadenas aren't for emergencies, they're for any announcement that the government deems important enough to be broadcast on all stations. It's a discretionary power in most presidentialist systems throughout latin america so he isn't abusing emergency systems or anything, but Chávez's use of it is still unprecedented and in particular choosing to broadcast over timeslots alloted to opposition campaigns is kind of a douche move.

Then again both sides bad, a coup, oligarchy, etc.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

PrezCamachoo posted:

Speaking of cadenas and crime....

http://tinyurl.com/9pa9jhs

That's right. Chavez used the emergency broadcast system, pushing aside any opposition programing that might have been playing, to air a conversation with Fidel Castro in which he comes up with the theory that the US is more dangerous than Venezuela because they have 5 CSI TV shows, 24, and Law and Order and Caracas has no equivalent police/crime shows. And that he could teach Obama how to fight the crime wave sweeping the US...

Never mind that the muder rate in Venezuela is more than 10 times the US...and that murder rate more than doubled under the presidency of Chavez.

Chiguire is a site devoted to political satire. Thanks though.

e:f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Thug Lessons posted:

These look like right-wing tabloids. They're also in Spanish, so most of this forum can't read them. All in all this isn't remotely compelling.

Interviú is little more than a glorified tabloid (from Spain). The other site is definitely biased (almost exclusively devoted to Venezuelan opposition articles) but at least it doesn't sell chiefly by showcasing nude pics of celebrities and exposés on loving welfare queen moors and romanians as Interviú does.

• Locked thread