Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Last time on Phone spends way too much money on his Miata

Dec 2010: Parked on the street, got hit-and-run, dudes roommate ratted him out. Car is declared total loss.

Feb 2011: Bought a bunch of stuff with the insurance money. It was about $70 in parts, and $600 in body work and alignments.

Mar 2011: Swapped Fatcows engine into mine, got it running again. Drove 25 miles home with only the header attached.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt9W01Xf6Gc

Aug 2011: Oil pump bolt backed itself out, tore the timing belt to shreds; put a sweet hole in the valve cover. Do an emergency timing belt change in early September.

Sept 2011: Did a track day. It was rad.

Jan 2012: Driving on the street, sudden loss of power. Went to replace the CAS, found out that the timing belt broke. You know the one that was replaced 4 months ago and has 5000 miles.

Feb 2012: Use the starter to boost the car up my steep driveway, put it on dollies. Turn my 2 car garage into a 3 car garage. Scored a fancy EDM intake.

July 2012: Start a new job; make all the dollars.

Now since I have this weird thing called disposable income, I have been accumulating parts and hatching a plan. Namely, burn all dollar bills on a Miata. A total loss Miata.

The parts:
Engine from a 2003 Miata, has VVT!
AEM EMS
ACT Street Clutch (all the torques)
European Market Squaretop Intake
A bunch of boring replacement/maintenance parts
Spare power-steering rack to pull apart for a proper depower

The goal is to make 150whp reliably on a naturally aspirated engine. The two big players in this are the EDM intake and the VVT engine. Thanks to engine management systems becoming absolutely fantastic in the past 5 years, the once worthless VVT head is now the new hotness. What does the VVT head give you? Torques: all of them. Soon after I get the car back up and running, Ill be able to stick a plate back on it and move onto other money dumping ventures. Oh yeah, at least 1 event/HPDE a month starting next season.

The wish-list: Full exhaust, safety, 15x9 wheels with R-S3s, 1.6L dash, data acquisition, full cage, halo seat. Most of these will be done, but the data acq and stuff will probably be on hold for a while.

The first thing on the list is to get the engine on the stand and wait for parts to come in. Ill probably see if I can crack open the power-steering rack and get that project started this upcoming weekend.

Thread goal: poo poo load of CNC machining, mad welding skills, and a bunch of black widow spiders. Update whenever I work on the car and remember to take pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Why not just turbocharge it?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

meatpimp posted:

Why not just turbocharge it?

FI isn't everyone's bag. The added weight and complications that go with making a well-tuned turbo setup could just be avoided if you only wanted to make 150hp which is a very possible goal for this project.

My question is, why do you want a 1.6 dash? How different were they from the 1.8, or do you just like chrome trim rings?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
The 1.8 dash is ugly.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
:ssh: If you need parts let me know.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I guess it's been a long drat time since I've been in an older car but yeah, the dashes without the passenger airbag are much better looking.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Not going turbo (yet) to keep down the complexity and to not have to deal with broken parts all of the time. I'll probably make a frankenmotor and slap a 2560 with the VVT head and make all of the torques.

The 1.6L dash doesn't have the passenger side airbag, is SCCA Solo2 legal, and is about 20-25lbs lighter than the 1.8L one.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This thread has the potential to be awesome!

In that vein, please, for the love of god, cut this crap out:

Phone posted:

make all the dollars.
burn all dollar bills on a Miata
(all the torques)
Torques: all of them

Did you have to buy the car back from insurance? If so, and if you don't mind the question, how much did that cost?

It's pretty interesting to see a mega-fun naturally aspirated Miata for not that much money.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

make all the dollars.

all dollar bills

(all the torques)

Torques: all of them.

make all of the torques.

I officially request thread title be changed to "all the _blanks_", or more specifically, "all the torques".

Edit: ^^ drat you Krakkles.

Edit 2: And come help pull my engine this weekend!

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Phone posted:

Not going turbo (yet) to keep down the complexity and to not have to deal with broken parts all of the time. I'll probably make a frankenmotor and slap a 2560 with the VVT head and make all of the torques.

The 1.6L dash doesn't have the passenger side airbag, is SCCA Solo2 legal, and is about 20-25lbs lighter than the 1.8L one.

You might want to stock up on transmissions when you go FI. Two guys here autocross supercharged miatas in SSM. One has broken a tranny every event, usually the second run, and the other guy is looking to unload his for $5k obo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
^^^ the 6-speed is pretty bulletproof. It's the same Aisin box that's in the S2000 and Toyobaru. The 5-speeds blow up on a regular basis ^^^

To buy all of the car back

Insurance paid out $4k, I bought it back for $400. There's a guy locally that parts out Miatas; I go to his place with some frequency. To fix it mechanically AND cosmetically, it was extremely cheap:

$15 for a set of used rear control arms
$20 for a door skin (in the right color, too)
$425 for a shop to pull the rear quarter panel and prime it
$200ish for a very, very long alignment due to a bolt being bent when the car was pushed to the curb; it was one of these

With the remaining money, I rolled that into upgrades (coilovers, engine maintenance, etc).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Phone posted:

^^^ the 6-speed is pretty bulletproof. It's the same Aisin box that's in the S2000 and Toyobaru.

The Accelerated Performance/Visconti turbo BRZ already broke a transmission. And a friend of mine has broken plenty of stuff in his s2k box.

Although you will probably be fine under about 400whp.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
For the people asking "Why are you doing X thing that way"

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2012_Solo_Rules_May.pdf

352 glorious pages of rules so you can drive for 30 seconds around a parking lot full of cones.

Phone is basically making a (reliable) clone of my car. Even though I've done all of this before I'll try to find a way to make this thread finish with the purchase of a lifted bro truck and no Miata.

One of these days I need to pick up a 94-95 shell so I can put a plate back on my car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FatCow posted:

For the people asking "Why are you doing X thing that way"

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2012_Solo_Rules_May.pdf

352 glorious pages of rules so you can drive for 30 seconds around a parking lot full of cones.

Holy poo poo is there a sheep station up for grabs or something?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
The way that my brother explained to me why he turbo'd his miata is this:

1. You can "reliably" turbo a Miata for around $1500 with used parts and strategic sourcing.

2. with all fucks being thrown out the window you can safely blow up the engine and replace for a few hundred dollars with a junkyard core.

3. If not all fucks are thrown out the window you can de-tune and have a streetable, reliable daily driver.

However, you are going straight to 3 the NA route which will certainly make for a more consistent driving experience. I think honestly that people turbo Miatas before building engines because you can turbo a miata for almost nothing and short blocks are dirt cheap.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Paul Boz_ posted:

I think honestly that people turbo Miatas before building engines because you can turbo a miata for almost nothing and short blocks are dirt cheap.

Don't Miatas come with stock forged internals too? I remember seeing a 10 second turbo Miata on the cover of Sport Compact Car in the early 2000's with a stock engine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can go really fast in a Miata for cheap. Pull a used turbo, get an eBay intercooler and radiator, pick up a second-hand ECU (Hydra, MS2, etc), and then you blow up and keep throwing parts at it until either you get bored or run out of money.

The VVT route is less exciting because it isn't as fast and poo poo isn't constantly blowing up (though Fatcow might contest this point). Junkyard is reliable, managing heat isn't too much of an issue, and things are arguably cheaper because you don't have to buy a bunch of turbo stuff. You always have the option of getting better rods, special shim-under-bucket lifters, and a billet damper if you want to spin the motor up to 8500rpm. I'm going to stick with the factory 7200, and call it a day.

The car will eventually get a smaller turbo; however, the goal for right now is to go as fast as possible, for as "cheap" as possible, for as long as possible. In terms of track time, I have done more events/races in cars that aren't the Miata and I desperately want to change that.

Update: 949racing and Mazdaspeed shipped my stuff. Yay.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Phone posted:

949racing and Mazdaspeed shipped my stuff.

All the stuff?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Bucephalus posted:

All the stuff?

No, just the torques.

Personally, I like the way this is headed. A solid NA base with the potential to go FI reliably in the future. It's a good plan - and a solid performing NA is plenty of fun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good plan. I'd like to do the same thing actually, but with ITB's :)

It will be awhile though. I get none of the torques :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Parts.

I'm going to need to do a few more orders for stuff I've missed, but this is the bulk of it. TSE is going to send me the crank trigger wheel so I can actually do the timing belt, etc job.

The 99-00 fuel rail is huge (comparatively):

Some images from July:

And some Simple Green XXXXTREEEEEM AIRCRAFT BOEING APPROVED and a power wash later:

I buying out my roommate's share of the garage, so I'll be able to park my Mazda stable and actually have room to work on the Miata. I still need to finish off the power-steering rack and swing by Target to pick up some wireframe racks. Hopefully the next update will have a video.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Remember the time I only spent $1600 on parts and I was faster than you?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
This is so topical of what I'm going through right now with my Maxima. Its in the need of basically a whole suspension. ball joints, shocks, struts, inners, outters, bushings, controll arms, etc.... it also has a nearly failing rusted engine brace/radiator support and pretty rusty brake lines. Do I try fix it to keep? Do I fix it to sell? Or just jump ship and sell for a minimum. Id be doing the work myself. I realize a Miata is a way better thing to spend money on, but I was wondering how you rationalize spending thousands on an old car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's totaled and I would have to pay somebody to take it off of my hands.

That said, I'm not particularly fond of it considering how many overhauls I've done on this piece of poo poo over the years. I'm just hoping that this will be somewhat reliable and will quench any ideas of PenFed having 1.5% interest on used car loans to point towards an S2000.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Phone posted:

I'm just hoping that this will be somewhat reliable and will quench any ideas of PenFed having 1.5% interest on used car loans to point towards an S2000.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy but There is not a moment alive where I think "I really wish I could trade my ap2 for a built Miata." Then again though, every time I drive my s2000 I think it's slow and bemoan the lack of torque. I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with its power but if a built Miata gives you satisfaction an s2000 would be your cat's meow.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Phone posted:

Besides the subjective element of looking better, the 1.8's passenger airbag, if it blows, can tear the hell out of the dash and smash the windshield. The driver airbag won't damage anything but itself and the driver.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 1.8 will break the windshield from inside the car. I've been in a Miata wreck, too. I'm going to eventually pull both airbags because seats + harnesses + airbags is a bad combo.

Paul Boz: I bought a Mazda2 in January, it currently has 17k on the odometer and I'm not 100% in love with the car. If I got an S2K, I'd be using it as a DD to go back and forth to work 16 miles one way. Being a responsible adult blows sometimes; I know this makes me un-American, but I'm not terribly keen on putting everything on credit.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Phone posted:

Paul Boz: I bought a Mazda2 in January, it currently has 17k on the odometer and I'm not 100% in love with the car. If I got an S2K, I'd be using it as a DD to go back and forth to work 16 miles one way. Being a responsible adult blows sometimes; I know this makes me un-American, but I'm not terribly keen on putting everything on credit.

I'm a responsible adult with a reasonable car note on my s2k and I drive it 12 miles each way every day, twice a day since I come home for lunch :)

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Phone posted:

The 1.8 will break the windshield from inside the car. I've been in a Miata wreck, too. I'm going to eventually pull both airbags because seats + harnesses + airbags is a bad combo.

What don't you like about the 2? The small hatch and non flat folding rear seats seem like they'd be the biggest downers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It isn't exciting to drive like a sports car. Its sporty and fun to toss into corners, but it's not a RWD sports car. That is my dissatisfaction with the 2, even though I bought it saying, "this is what I need." My beef is wants versus needs and practicality.

The Mazda2 as a car is completely competent and worth having, though. It has just enough utility, just enough fun, and gets great gas mileage. As a A-to-B vehicle, it blows most of the competition out of the water just because it's so engaging. If I had to buy a new car in the same situation, it would have come down to either the 2 or the Fit, the 500 was OK; however, it was loaded to the brim with even cheaper plastic and the car must felt a bit off.

Topic related: moving the car into place tomorrow and getting started on things. Yay.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

I'm going to eventually pull both airbags because seats + harnesses + airbags is a bad combo.

What is it about this that's bad? Just that with the harness you won't move at all so the airbag just basically punches you in the face? I'm putting a roll bar + harness + seat into mine this winter, but I'll be maintaining the 3-point for the street. The air bag is useful with the stok belt even with a seat, right?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I think the idea is that if you're wearing a helmet it's going to smash the helmet into your face. I'd rather have the helmet pushed into my face from the airbag than having nothing to slow my head down before it hits the steering wheel w/helmet. If you're on track with a HANS and harnesses, then I'd remove it. Otherwise I'd keep it, personally.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have some sweet chicken legs, you can manage to wedge yourself in/out of the car with rubbing your junk all over the steering wheel. Or... you can get a removeable steering wheel to make it much easier, and you can also bring the steering wheel closer to you for that sweet 90 degree arm bend for maximum racing posture. I am going to drive it on the street, not as a DD, but it's mostly going to be for the track. (it's obvious who has, etc)

Before:

After (sorry about the image quality, phone has some poo poo ISO going on):

Went to Target to pick up some kitty litter and get a shelving rack. The biggest pain in the rear end was trying to get the engine bolted onto the stand. I need to swing by HF and get some pliers and a 12mm 3/8" drive socket (loving lost mine, and I own a Miata what the balls).

Progress so far:
- $$$ spent
- Car in place
- Radiator drained/pulled
- A lot of poo poo is in place and ready to be worked on

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mini-Monday Update:

- I might be busted for working on my cars at my house by the handyman! (I doubt anything will happen, going to wait to do anything obvious; i.e. - pull the bumper cover)
- My lovely HF impact proves that it was well worth the $30 dollars I paid for it 4.5 years ago by taking off the crank bolt like it ain't no thing.

Thank you, Harbor Freight. Your tools are poo poo, but will work in a bind. :china:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Phone posted:

- I might be busted for working on my cars at my house by the handyman! (I doubt anything will happen, going to wait to do anything obvious; i.e. - pull the bumper cover)

I'm confused. You seem to have a private, enclosed garage. Do you have a title encumbrance and a homeowners association that thinks they can tell you what to do inside your own enclosed spaces?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The HOA isn't bad, it's the fact that I'm renting. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phone posted:

Thank you, Harbor Freight. Your tools are poo poo, but will work in a bind. :china:

Just don't use their cutoff wheels wearing anything short of full medieval plate mail armor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Just don't use their cutoff wheels wearing anything short of full medieval plate mail armor.

I've pushed the envelop on this in the last several months. I have all of my fingers, both eyes, and no extra material in my arms or legs. A++ would buy again.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Phone posted:

The HOA isn't bad, it's the fact that I'm renting. :v:

He hasn't noticed the engine on the stand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You mean the one right next to the breaker panel that he had to goto to turn off the relay for the oven range?

I seriously doubt anything is going to come of it. Push comes to shove, I'll tell the landlord that I pinky swear I won't mess up the garage floor.

• Locked thread