Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sounds like you had a great time... I am jealous, I still have my winter tires on.

I am not looking forward to making some custom brackets for my seat, but I need the height to get under the bar. Mounting the bucket seat to the stock seat rails was bad enough... I am just slightly over the rollbar with my helmet on with the stock rails :smith:

Gonna ship the exhaust manifold tomorrow? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
During lunch. The 2 needs gas, and the Miata has 3/4 of a tank, so... Time to go joy riding during lunch to the post office!

Fun facts:

1. Got about ~12mpg on the track and just under 28mpg to/from. Since the car isn't completely gutless, it's a little bit too easy to cruise at 85mph on the interstate.
2. I kinda feel like a dick driving around with my exhaust early in the morning to goto the track. I did try to keep the revs down, though.
3. PTE record is 1:45.9xx and the Spec Miata record is 1:46.6xx, according to the 1Hz TrackMaster I got into the 1:51:9xx range.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Sounds like it's DIY bumper cutout time. Also gently caress you for having a car that runs

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Using the PayPal money I had (note: past tense) from selling the 01+ exhaust log, I bought some stuff from Silicone Intakes to match the Skunk2 throttle body.

Before June I need to pick up a spare set of HT-10s and do the wheel bearings. Hopefully it'll just be gas and oil for expenses for a while.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Phone posted:

Hopefully it'll just be gas and oil for expenses for a while.

Awww, that's so cute.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Suniikaa posted:

Awww, that's so cute.

Especially seeing how you put a bunch of money in weird places for this car I bet you'll continue the trend.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The only thing that's really on the horizon is a BBK and possibly a 6-speed.

More immediate things are going to be vinyl, more brake pads, and more DEs. I need to organize a few things and start selling off bits and pieces.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

destructo posted:

Sounds like it's DIY bumper cutout time.

What good does that possibly do?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saves weight, reduces drag. Here's a thread about it http://www.miataturbo.net/general-miata-chat-9/cut-rear-bumper-36606/ I was suprised how much of a difference it made at speed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh that type of cutout? Yeah, the rear bumper is a giant parachute. I'm keeping the rear bumper for a while. Class rules and whatnot.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Couldn't adding some sort of dam in front of it (i.e. deflect air down and around instead of up into the bumper) achieve the same effect? Obviously not ideal for weight reduction, but it's a thought.

Hah, I'm suddenly reminded of what's-his-face with the old Civic that he was "track-prepping" with underbody aero mods and the speed holes in the grille. You know, Mr. "you can tell who's been to the track".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Uh, it's obvious who has been to the track and who hasn't.

The bumper is still a giant parachute, but splitters do help. If I ever get into aero stuff, I'd go splitter up front, wing in the rear, remove the hardtop glass, and mess with the rear bumper.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Crown Vics are the same way, the rear bumper baloons out at highway speeds, there's an aftermarket retailer that sells a rear "skid plate" that prevents it and it supposedly improves gas mileage. Maybe something similar would work for miatas, would be cheaper than a diffuser for sure.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^That's the sort of thing I was thinking of, I just worded it badly.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Phone posted:

Uh, it's obvious who has been to the track and who hasn't.

The bumper is still a giant parachute, but splitters do help. If I ever get into aero stuff, I'd go splitter up front, wing in the rear, remove the hardtop glass, and mess with the rear bumper.

Savington wanna be. :)

It doesn't sound like any of that would be legal until you got into a class you wouldn't be at all competitive in.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Larrymer posted:

:whatup:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It really annoys me that there is no SCCA class where I can dick around with aero and not end up competing against cars with carbon fiber body panels and no windshields.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Larrymer posted:

It doesn't sound like any of that would be legal until you got into a class you wouldn't be at all competitive in.

That's actually the line that Vitamin J said. He then challenged anybody in his dumb thread to drift off around a telephone pole and something about 6".

As for aero stuff, basically. Turbo Miatas get pitted against cars that it can't compete with and there's a significant weight penalty as well. Right now, tooling around in PTE for W2W and TTD for Time Trials seems to be the sweet spot; however, Savington and Emilio's developments over the past few years may have dulled any significant edge the Miata had. Emilio ran Crusher or something with a MSM base, now all MSM bases get a 200#. Savington messed with trans/diff combo and increased the weight penalty from 50# to 200#.

Thanks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Phone posted:

That's actually the line that Vitamin J said. He then challenged anybody in his dumb thread to drift off around a telephone pole and something about 6".

Oh I remember the thread with video of the car with yarn all over it driving around. I was talking about the aero stuff.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Phone posted:

Those were the glory days :allears:

Around the same time as the syf0n fanfiction thread.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Thank you goon sir!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I see the parts I sold you, and I raise you the parts I bought with the money that I got from selling you parts:

These next two are from last week. First up is me parking on the edge, and I come out to see the biggest truck (minus the cranes and poo poo) parked next to my car all over the parking lines:

Second up, went to the Grand Asia Market and saw something peculiar:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Nice smeared pollen paint job. I hear it is the new matte black.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's my racing stripe.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Phone posted:

It's my racing stripe.

The higher the pollen count, the faster you go.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Miniature vortex generators, duh

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you mix it with water it turns into a paste that tastes great on toast :yum:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

I see the parts I sold you, and I raise you the parts I bought with the money that I got from selling you parts:

Due to not having a receipt for the purchase, I had to show them the private message thread at the border to get back into Canada. They decided to "randomly" search my car after reading the PM thread, during which they removed the passenger seat. :iiam:

The seat bolts were finger tight for the drive home, good thing I didn't have a passenger. :canada:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Because you can hide a lot of poo poo under the passenger seat. Like a whole box of Cookie Crisps.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Phone posted:

Because you can hide a lot of poo poo under the passenger seat. Like a whole box of Cookie Crisps.

Or a ratchet.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

They obviously used a ratchet to get the seat out, but would not let me borrow it to put the seat back in.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
That was a dig on Phone since he just finished putting his car together and ran his first session at VIR with a ratchet under his seat.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
WRONG

IT WAS A 1/2" WRENCH
A 1/2" GEARWRENCH(TM)
AND A 14MM 6 POINT DEEP SOCKET FROM CRAFTSMAN

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think what we all want to know is: how steamy was this PM thread? :bigtran:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

FatCow posted:

That was a dig on Phone since he just finished putting his car together and ran his first session at VIR with a ratchet under his seat.

Clean under seat for easy weight reduction.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think what we all want to know is: how steamy was this PM thread? :bigtran:

bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah I definitely don't get how that got him searched. My money's on "border agents wanted to see if it is at all possible to hide anything in a Miata."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think I injured my pinky last night while applying red loctite on the Skunk2 TB.

My emacs pinky. :qq:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Time to switch to vi or learn to use your ring finger to activate capslock.

Also I'm a bit weirded out that a Miata owner would use the 8 ton urban assault vehicle of text editors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Phone posted:

My emacs pinky. :qq:

Also known as the "prostate pinky" in your neck of the woods.

• Locked thread