Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Xelkelvos posted:

Given the they're Finland, their whole shtick should be clowning people who would underestimate them through off-the-wall tactics and risky maneuvers. Kinda like Oorai actually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmqdnx5R1U

Yeah, I'd say that checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i would have appreciated a bit more of an introduction to the finnish team

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I like how the Finnish team are the only team to not have tanking jackets/uniforms. They just wear their schools sweatsuits. Combined with how they apparently stole a KV-1 from Pravda, it seems their tank program is strapped for funds, just like WWII Finland :v:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

are dulcimers a big thing in finland or what

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Darth Walrus posted:

As I watched more of the film, I became increasingly cool with the Continuation team just being really loving weird, inexplicable, and badass. I feel that their presence should be kept to a minimum from now onwards to preserve that air of mystery.
They're totally ridiculous. The instrument she carries? She uses it as loving sonar. It's how she could call shots and evasion without even looking.

Zettace posted:

I like how the Finnish team are the only team to not have tanking jackets/uniforms. They just wear their schools sweatsuits. Combined with how they apparently stole a KV-1 from Pravda, it seems their tank program is strapped for funds, just like WWII Finland :v:
They're hobo as gently caress.

Here's a summary of their audio drama.

/a/ posted:

>Continuation's sound drama
>Mika alone ate all the rations they stole from the university team
>so they had to fish for food on the way back

>Talking about their tanks
>But our tank is damaged
>Mika: We just have to fix it
>What if we can't?
>Mika: The northern wind will bring us some (new tanks)
>Oh man, Pravda sure was generous when they lent us the KV-1
[Remember how someone pointed out that in-universe article about Pravda demanding its tank back from Continuation?]

>they ended up on an uninhabited island
>and the boat broke down
>"Maybe they'll(the school) will come look for us after half a year"
-2ºC is 'pretty warm'. And Mika is apparently a food ninja, capable of eating a ton with nobody noticing.

Other audio dramas:
Pravda (VAs show off their Russian and Klara and Nonna show off their Katyusha obsession. The second part is the same but with the russian replaced with japanese)
St. Gloriana (Haven't read it yet)

Oh, and here's the semi-official map of the various schools and their respective prefectures.

It's from the GuP Gallery in RL Ooarai. (Translated ofc)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 5, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
As hobo as they are, they did make it past the first round of the tournament in the anime after beating the, as yet unrevealed, Blue Division High School (supposedly base on Spain) before losing to Black Forest so it's not as though they are utterly without their own tanks and drivers, it's just that theirs were probably not going to be up for the fight against the Uni team. It would be amusing just to see how other teams like Anzio and Pravda handle them. Anzio would find a load of missing pasta while Katyusha would be left fuming

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Kyte posted:

They're totally ridiculous. The instrument she carries? She uses it as loving sonar. It's how she could call shots and evasion without even looking.

They're hobo as gently caress.

Here's a summary of their audio drama.

-2ºC is 'pretty warm'. And Mika is apparently a food ninja, capable of eating a ton with nobody noticing.

Other audio dramas:
Pravda (VAs show off their Russian and Klara and Nonna show off their Katyusha obsession. The second part is the same but with the russian replaced with japanese)
St. Gloriana (Haven't read it yet)

Oh, and here's the semi-official map of the various schools and their respective prefectures.

It's from the GuP Gallery in RL Ooarai. (Translated ofc)

I /really/ hope we get to see the other teams in a 2nd season

Yogurt, Count, Koala and Waffle sound like fantastic schools :3: also, Maple's emblem is cute

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I want to see France and Vichy France

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Why are there schools in land locked prefectures. Don't they base the school-carrier on it's port city?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's not like they dock all the time. Presumably they just borrow a nearby one.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Smoking Crow posted:

I think they're the subject of one of the mangas

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I think one interesting theory relating to Finland school is that Mika is part of the Shimada family. There is a resemblance with Arisu's mother with similar hair style, hair colour, and even eye colour. Then you look at Mika's tanking style and you can see hints of Shimada style, especially the "spinning the tank's body as if it were an extension of the turret" technique.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 5, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zettace posted:

I think one interesting theory relating to Finland school is that Mika is part of the Shimada family. There is a resemblance with Arisu's mother with similar hair style, hair colour, and even eye colour. Then you look at Mika's tanking style and you can see hints of Shimada style, especially the "spinning the tank's body as if it were an extension of the turret" technique.

Naaah, they just stole the technique. :v:

Like I said, the Continuation team seem best in small doses. Have them show up, do something incredibly weird and/or incredibly cool, and then disappear off into the sunset.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

if we ever get an anzac team on-camera i will flip.

japanese aussie/new zealander stereotypes will be amazing. crocodiles for days.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I felt the Continuation team's antics were hilarious but also one of the weak spots in the movie. It's good they kept their stuff short because they would've worn out their welcome. Whereas everyone else wracks their brains to be effective, Mika and her crew just seemingly gain a huge power up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Argas posted:

I felt the Continuation team's antics were hilarious but also one of the weak spots in the movie. It's good they kept their stuff short because they would've worn out their welcome. Whereas everyone else wracks their brains to be effective, Mika and her crew just seemingly gain a huge power up.

They're really just another ace crew, like Maho's Tiger, Nonna's IS-2, or Naomi's Firefly, who are effective from the start without having to get especially innovative to bring out their true strength. They're just far, far weirder.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Finland is mysterious

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Winland.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Knorth posted:

Yogurt, Count, Koala and Waffle sound like fantastic schools :3: also, Maple's emblem is cute

IIRC they're hungarian-, romanian-, ANZAC- and belgian-inspired, respectively. And Maple are canucks, of course.

Smoking Crow posted:

Maginot are early-war France. BC Freedom are both Vichy and Free France - their team is split in two and both halves can't stand each other. :allears:

Magni fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 5, 2016

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Argas posted:

In the Anzio OVA, it's mentioned that Mika and co almost beat the Nishizumi sisters + Kuromorimine in a practice match so she is one of the top commanders in the high school league.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Gregor must be Czechoslovakia, since it's a reference to Kafka's Metamorphosis.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

galagazombie posted:

I think they're the subject of one of the mangas

They're in a spin off manga that focuses on them. Bonple shows up in Ribbon Warrior with their commander Jajka.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Gregor must be Czechoslovakia, since it's a reference to Kafka's Metamorphosis.

Gregor is also a common Czech name and one of the alternate theories is that it's a reference to a Czech Tank commander

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I read that Magnoit Line spinoff manga because... uh... reasons. It wasn't too bad. Pretty much a hidden practice battle between Oorai's match with St. Gloriana and the official start of the Tournament.

They focus enough on Magnoit that I was actually a bit divided on who I wanted to win, which was kind of interesting. Definitely one of the more interesting schools... but also another of the povo schools for various reasons.

Also a lot of tank action in it which is nice. Manga is not as cool about making sure you know what's happening as the show is though :(

---

It also serves as a more explicit redemption for Rabbit Team for abandoning their tank in the St. Gloriana match.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Are we ever going to rename the hilariously inaccurate thread title.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ka0 posted:

Are we ever going to rename the hilariously inaccurate thread title.

i'll make a new thread when season 2 comes out

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i recently watched this anime and i'm now watching the ovas and yeah that is the most inaccurate thread title i have ever seen

also i'm going to post this in a third thread because i like this scene

https://a.pomf.cat/jivxeg.mp4

Jintor
May 19, 2014

where's my space battleships version of galpan's glorious action sequences

/edit it's been said before but reading from the first page to the most recent where the general mood shifts from 'this is the worst thing ever made i can't wait to see the trainwreck' to "gently caress YES OORAI TAAAAANKS" is a really great feeling

Jintor fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 6, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jintor posted:

where's my space battleships version of galpan's glorious action sequences

/edit it's been said before but reading from the first page to the most recent where the general mood shifts from 'this is the worst thing ever made i can't wait to see the trainwreck' to "gently caress YES OORAI TAAAAANKS" is a really great feeling

Yamato 2199 is where it's at.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Smoking Crow posted:

i'll make a new thread when season 2 comes out

Make a new thread now, because if someone gets interested in this show and starts reading the first pages of this thread, they'll be hit with super potent Zorak-era mega AIDS.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

K. Flaps posted:

Make a new thread now, because if someone gets interested in this show and starts reading the first pages of this thread, they'll be hit with super potent Zorak-era mega AIDS.

:rip: Colonel.

Luckily we can quarantine him to anime chat.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would definitely be in favor of a reboot thread with a better thread title/OP.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Good clip. I wonder if GuP Mika was named after Hakkinen?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower posted:

:rip: Colonel.

Luckily we can quarantine him to anime chat.

wait, are you calling me zorak-era mega aids

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

K. Flaps posted:

ok

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

here's your new thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gute nacht, thread.