Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It is pretty funny to picture guys rolling their eyes at each other when the girls start talking about girl stuff like tank battles. I sure wish we got to see it instead of just hearing about it, but this seems to be one of those shows where showing boys is verboten.

EDIT: The popular club at the all-boys school should be knitting or cheerleading or something.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sindai posted:

EDIT: The popular club at the all-boys school should be knitting or cheerleading or something.

I would pay good money an anime based on Ouendan

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You just know next season will have a bishounen fighter pilot anime.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ANN - Girls & Panzer BDs/DVDs 2-6 Delayed 1 Month Each posted:

The second DVD and Blu-ray volume of Girls und Panzer anime series is being delayed from January 29 to February 22. The staff explained that the delay was to ensure the quality of the Blu-ray volume's original video anime short, "Survival War!"

Due to the volume's delay, subsequent volumes are also being pushed back by one month each.
Wow. I guess they are going to put some effort into the other bonus episodes.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The DVDs and BD are selling like crazy so they have more financial leeway, I guess.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WitchFetish posted:

You just know next season will have a bishounen fighter pilot anime.

it will be if they like money.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Command Ant posted:

This was my favorite part of this episode that didn't involve the Stug team.

This must be taking place in the Warhammer 40k universe then.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the only fan art i could find not covered in dicks or swastikas

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
The most badass tank (provided you don't throw a smoke grenade on the engine deck)

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master
I ended up marathoning this show. It is definitely more entertaining than I had originally given it credit for.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
Stug III was actually classed as an assault gun, not a tank destroyer.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Assault guns can be Tank Destroyers so it's all good.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I wonder what the pitch meeting for this show was like, because I'm not sure whether or not to laugh as I watch the first episode.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Artificer posted:

I wonder what the pitch meeting for this show was like, because I'm not sure whether or not to laugh as I watch the first episode.

"I like tanks. I want to make a show about tanks."
"Hmm, that's not enough. Make the characters moe girls."
"Okay."
"Great. Coffee's on me."

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

"I like tanks. I want to make a show about tanks."
"Hmm, that's not enough. Make the characters moe girls."
"Okay."
"Great. Coffee's on me."

"Okay, so why are the Girls driving tanks?"
"Because it is a sport. It is also very girly. They are also living on a giant aircraft carrier."
"Sounds good."

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

ArchangeI posted:

"Because it is a sport. It is also very girly. They are also living on a giant aircraft carrier."
"Sounds good."

"What do you want to call it?"
"...Girls in Tanks?"
"Needs more punch. What kind of tank do they drive."
"A Panzer IV, I guess."
"Girls in Panzer."

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
"I need to talk to you about these character designs you sent me."
"What's wrong?"
"You sent me 40 pages of tank schematics."
"I know."
"What about the girls?"
"Who?"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"Hey, you, someone's wrong with our line up."
"What's wrong sir?"
"It lacks impact."
"Well here's some other vehicles sir.." *points at corner of desk*
"Well wait, what about that one?" *points to other side of desk.*
"That's a StuGIII sir, that's not a tank, that's a assault gun."
*stares while mouthing the word impact.* :colbert:
"Okay fine." :rolleyes:

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

ArchangeI posted:

"Sounds good."

I still love how the reason all schools are on Aircraft carriers is essentially "idk lol" :v:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Show owns. Watched all episodes in one go yesterday.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DerLeo posted:

"What do you want to call it?"
"...Girls in Tanks?"
"Needs more punch. What kind of tank do they drive."
"A Panzer IV, I guess."
"Girls in Panzer."

Technically, that'd be "Girls and Armor".

It uses a weird mish-mash of an English word in a German sentence.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 3, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Command Ant posted:

"I need to talk to you about these character designs you sent me."
"What's wrong?"
"You sent me 40 pages of tank schematics."
"I know."
"What about the girls?"
"Who?"
The character designer is the same guy who designed the characters for Strike Witches so I think we can safely say that he doesn't have much say in this series (for one there have been zero panty shots).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zettace posted:

The character designer is the same guy who designed the characters for Strike Witches so I think we can safely say that he doesn't have much say in this series (for one there have been zero panty shots).

I guess it's kinda hard to avoid making panty-shots all the drat time when your cast of characters are all not wearing pants as demanded by the plot.

But gently caress that series.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Zettace posted:

I think the director himself was like "gently caress panty shots and I dare any animator to put them in." So, good times.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Enter: THE RUSSIANS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-gsBEzCT0U

KV-2 :allears:

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Well, that looks like a really unfair matchup.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It was mentioned that the Russian school plays dirty, so much like in the fight against the Americans, that's likely to be where our protagonists get the edge they need. And boy, will they need it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

gently caress that, they actually screamed "Urrrrraaah!!" :neckbeard:

fake edit: THEY SUNG KATYUSHA!? :swoon: in Russian it sounds like? :aaa: The jaw is making itself comfortable on my floor.

This is instantly the best show.

Here's the Japanese version and my favorite version.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I think it was nice that they got Uesaka Sumire to play the vice captain for the USSR team. She can actually speak Russian and she's a huge fan of the USSR.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I thought I was a bit burned out on all the moe in this series. Then they started singing.

Possibly more fitting to this series : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WjHU9nwEgE

Or the :ussr: is rolling in his grave version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_sZeGb6HOw ( that is literally one of the top comments.)

Though I do think Korobushka is a better song. Especially Hvorostovsky's version.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Jesus H. Christ. They're adorable. Those are the most adorable Russian tank crews I've ever seen. :3: I can't believe that they actually sang.

Also holy loving poo poo those tanks. The protagonists are gonna have to pull some crazy poo poo to win this because their tanks are outmatched in almost every way.

Oh my God those Russian tankers. :swoon:

Edit: Is Urraaaaaaaagh! like a Russian war cry or is it like the American's YEAAAH WOOOO! sort of thing?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Its an actual Russian war cry and a loving demoralizing one as well if you were German/Japanese. Because it meant you were about to get zerg rushed by determined abominably tough soldiers. The Japanese introduced the whole 'bushido' thing entirely because of it after the 1903 War.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Its an actual Russian war cry and a loving demoralizing one as well if you were German/Japanese. Because it meant you were about to get zerg rushed by determined abominably tough soldiers. The Japanese introduced the whole 'bushido' thing entirely because of it after the 1903 War.

Hahahahah. Oh. Strange that they can make it sound so adorable with this context, then.

Edit: VVVV Ah I can see why that would be scary, then.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 4, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Artificer posted:

Edit: Is Urraaaaaaaagh! like a Russian war cry or is it like the American's YEAAAH WOOOO! sort of thing?
http://youtu.be/lG8TJn4V12E#t=00m24s

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

I'm going to pretend that this is from the anime version of Command & Conquer: Red Alert.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Can't be, where's my self propelled Conscript grenade launcher and tri barreled mammoth tanks? :colbert:

This show's production team KNOWS their audience I think, everything they could do they have done.

e: Also nice that I can watch this in public and show to more casual people.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 4, 2012

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Raenir Salazar posted:

You're spot on about the demoralizing effect of a bunch of angry cossacks and peasant conscripts bayonet charging you, but I can assure you that "Bushido" goes a little ways further back, especially since the Japanese were the ones doing the most Zerg-rushing during the Russo-Japanese conflict.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nine of Eight posted:

You're spot on about the demoralizing effect of a bunch of angry cossacks and peasant conscripts bayonet charging you, but I can assure you that "Bushido" goes a little ways further back, especially since the Japanese were the ones doing the most Zerg-rushing during the Russo-Japanese conflict.

Nope, Bushido is an entirely invented concept dating from a Japanese-American book in the 1880's and reimported back to Japan after the Russo-Japanese War, at least according to the documentary I watched regarding Musashi.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm quoting this from The Making of Modern Japan by Marius B. Jansen, pg 102-103. It used to be used as a textbook so I think it'll pass muster.

quote:

An early-seventeenth-century primer of samurai morality, Hagakure, written by Yamamoto Tsunemoto, a Saga samurai, is often cited as the classic exposition of the samurai value system. The book was revived as a classic during Japan's fevered prewar ultranationalist years, and it enjoyed a postwar afterglow in the writing and seppuku of the author Yukio Mishima in 1970. It is a curious work with at least three aspects that deserve comment. The first is its insistence on the total subordination of the samurai to his lord, a commitment that is almost religious in character. Second is its espousal of fatalistic resignation, indeed a renunciation of life, as the samurai is enjoined to prepare himself for death. [...] The author, however, was already lamenting that the standards he extolled were being lost in times of Peace. [...] It was in the Tokugawa years that the articulation of bushido as a code of morality was perfected (stuff about the samurai justifying being lazy assholes)
:hist101:

You've got a certain point insofar as Bushido enjoyed a strong revival after the Russo-Japanese war, and Bushido was to a certain level manufactured ideology to keep the samurai using swords instead of guns, but it had already been enjoying a certain revival in the armed forces, both Naval and Army, that while extensively trained in European methods wanted a certain level of 'Japaneseness' to remain. I'd quote more about the modern revival but my wireless keyboard ran out of juice and typing on a touch screen gets old quick.
:goonsay:

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Momo's reply to the surrender ultimatum: Nuts!
It's the little touches that make this show great.

Also, holy gently caress at that Katyusha. That was an unexpected display of awesome.

Way to not take command, Miho. You KNEW it was a trap and still let yourself get surrounded. You just turned it into Stalingrad Mk. II.

• Locked thread