Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Benagain posted:

Hahahaah like the US would ever pay the slighest amount of attention to any international treaty it didn't want to.

The funny part is we are the ones who pushed to put weed in those treaties to begin with.

I've heard nationally legalization polls at 50+%, and that is about the margin for picking the President, so yeah, Legalize It :420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Going on my Time Machine assassination list along with Ayn Rand and Ed Bernays

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If Obama is going to say anything about this he'll say it on the Daily Show this week.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Don't sleep on Barry O

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna start writing a Lifetime Original movie where the son of a Soccer Mom dies after drinking a giant thing of oil that he gets an older cousin to buy for him.
Little Timmy just wanted the ultimate Pot-Up.

It could happen in your state! :supaburn:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What message is that? That democracy trumps paternalism? That the UN laws were written at the height of US influence and are just another level of authority enforcing them?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KingEup posted:

I'm having a bit of difficulty finding an answer on the FDA website, but does the FDA regulate herbal products as food, drugs or sometimes both?

They are treated as dietary supplements or homeopathy usually. There are just requirements that you can't make specific claims/have to give a disclaimer.

Marijuana and its active ingredient are too well known to suddenly move it to the same legal territory that basically exists as a concession to the American tradition of snake oil.

As for the North America/International Law argument I think we all know who created those laws and wears the pants in this hemisphere :fsmug:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not to mention daily firearm accidents that are so common they don't get news coverage.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's one thing for a state to allow something that is Federally prohibited- it is another for a state to restrict something that is allowed elsewhere. A restriction is easier to challenge/take to the Supreme Court. There are other conflicts like this as well. New Jersey wants to open up online/sports betting (that sweet, sweet gambling revenue) but needs to deal with federal restrictions.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

Honestly the whole debate is about the idea of federalism versus political self determinism. If a sufficient number of people in an area vehemently disagree with their political leadership to the point where they no longer feel the system is representative, should they be forever bound by lines drawn on a map two and a half centuries ago? How does this idea square with the Declaration of Independence, or indeed the creation of modern states at all? And on the other side how can that be squared away with the needs of a modern society to protect the disadvantaged (even if it's unpopular) and find compromise positions even if they make everyone unhappy, and avoid having every issue split the country?

That's why the Colorado thing is dramatic - it is a referendum-backed amendment to the Constitution; but so is Prop 8 and the Supreme Court is debating it, so...

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently legalized online gambling brought in 2% of the revenue Chris Christie projected. Maybe it's time to look at another vice.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully any trail balloons about cracking down on weed states go about as well as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K61UADVD4VA

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think politeness is correlated with population density.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A friend of mine freaked out and had suicidal thoughts with an edible once too. If anything this is a good argument for facilitating medical research so there's more knowledge about why people react so differently.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KernelSlanders posted:

Schedule I makes that really hard.

Hopefully this is going to change in the next couple years.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Install Windows posted:

PS IP rights have always been about creating monopolies, patents are literally monopolies granted by the state.

Except patents and copyright were originally envisioned with expiration dates, at a certain point things enter the public domain. This element has been under assault for awhile. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_Copyright_bill

Disney could conceivably hold on to Mickey forever as a trademark but then they would lose the ability to control 80 year old cartoons.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Install Windows posted:

And infinite copyright is essentially the least gutted IP right possible.

At a certain point things should enter public domain, I wasn't agreeing with the gutted IP right claim - just agreeing with criticism of Feinstein for pushing legal changes that benefit the entertainment industry at the expense of the commons.

But this has nothing to do with weed so I won't continue.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This Jacket Is Me posted:

executive orders that have no binding on subsequent administrations

I think we've established that he can reschedule with an executive order (but the guy who follows him could reverse it easily). Obama understandably doesn't want his major achievement as the first black president to be 'weed'.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think his major achievement is health care reform. Descheduling would just be a footnote.

At this point, yes.

But people are saying he should/would have done it day one.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why are weed vending machines even desirable? We got rid of cigarette vends and we don't have booze vends. It just seems like a great way to have your identity stolen, like using a bitcoin ATM.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
'This colorado poo poo is really dank man'

What seems to be the problem with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Powercrazy posted:

Medical Marijuana is a distraction and gradualism shouldn't be a policy tool.

Brave New World posted:

No, no, no. We definitely don't want Schedule III status. We want de-scheduled status.

Grow up. Rescheduling leads to more research and medical development, and eventually the scientific consensus that weed is no more harmful than alcohol.

• Locked thread