Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

Are there really places where it's easier to find a dealer than find someone over 21 who just doesn't give a poo poo?

Waaaaaaaay easier when I was in HS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Unless a state passes a law making pot smokers a protected class, then there's nothing preventing an employer barring them from employment. For example the owner of the company I work for hates smoking cigarettes and won't hire anymore people who smoke. Perfectly legal in the state of Kansas.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

They can fire you for eating a Snickers bar if they want to. Product usage isn't a protected status, whether it's legal or not.

Twenty-nine states and the District of Columbia have laws in effect elevating smokers to a protected class. It's illegal for companies to impose smoking bans on their employees when they are off duty.

State Year Code
California 2005 CA LABOR CODE § 96(k) & 98.6
Colorado 1990 CO REV. STAT. ANN § 24-34-402.5
Connecticut 2003 CT GEN. STAT. ANN. § 31-40s
District of Columbia 1993 D.C. CODE ANN. § 7-1703.3
Illinois 1987 820 ILL. COMP. STAT. 55/5
Indiana 2006 IND. CODE §§ 22-5-4-1 et seq.
Kentucky 1994 KY REV. STAT. ANN. § 344.040
Louisiana 1991 LA REV. STAT. ANN. § 23:966
Maine 1991 ME REV. STAT. ANN. tit. 26, § 597
Minnesota 1992 MINN. STAT. § 181.938
Mississippi 1994 MISS. CODE ANN. § 71-7-33
Missouri 1992 MO. REV. STAT. § 290.145
Montana 1993 MONT. CODE ANN. §§ 39-2-313 & 39-2-314
Nevada 1991 NEV. REV. STAT. § 613.333
New Hampshire 1991 N.H. REV. STAT. ANN. § 275:37-a
New Jersey 1991 N.J. STAT. ANN. §§ 34:6B-1 et seq.
New Mexico 1991 N.M. STAT. ANN. §§ 50-11-1 et seq.
New York 1992 N.Y. [LABOR] LAW § 201-d
North Carolina 1991 N.C. GEN. STAT. § 95-28.2
North Dakota 1993 N.D. CENT. CODE §§ 14-02.4-01 et seq.
Oklahoma 1991 OKLA. STAT. ANN. tit. 40, § 500
Oregon 1989 OR. REV. STAT. §§ 659A.315 & 659A.885
Rhode Island 2005 R.I. GEN. LAWS § 23-20.10-14
South Carolina 1991 S.C. CODE ANN. § 41-1-85
South Dakota 1991 S.D. CODIFIED LAWS § 60-4-11
Tennessee 1990 TENN. CODE ANN. § 50-1-304
Virginia 1989 VA. CODE ANN. § 2.2-2902
West Virginia 1992 W. VA. CODE § 21-3-19
Wisconsin 1991 WIS. STAT. §§ 111.31 et seq.
Wyoming 1992 WYO. STAT. ANN. §§ 27-9-101 et seq.

So yeah, actually it is in a lot of places!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Cigarette taxes are way way way higher than that and the convenience of legality is pretty important.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

I guess I'd agree that Drudge stories in and of themselves are fairly inconsequential, but US press teaches controversies that are framed in language engineered by people like Breitbart and developed into coded talking points by Fox News, et al. The Drudge stories themselves don't make it into cable news that often, but American news obsesses over this kind of noise, and that obsessive repetition of coded-racist frames dominates a lot of what we hear about and the topics we're permitted to discuss in US politics. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this process defined Obama's legacy in the same way history was re-written to make Reagan out as some kind of Kim Il-Sung god figure.

Who the gently caress cares? I am so tired of Democrats using the big scary Fox News narrative as an excuse for completely giving up on being an actual leftist party. Legalizing weed isn't a particularly radical position, it carries something like a 50% approval rate in the US.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BUSH 2112 posted:

Holy poo poo, that's insane but not really surprising. You really don't even have to look it up to know what states would be on that list.

You'd be surprised. Being a smoker is a protected class in like 18 states but its actually spread out, Oklahoma has laws on the book for example and the tobacco states have them too IIRC.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
When your arguments start with talking about weed caused COPD cases and psychosis from eating too many pot brownies it's pretty hard to take anything further you say after that seriously, especially when you continue to use rhetoric like, "burden the nation excessively" w/r/t marijuana use.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

RichieWolk posted:

Why not? Why is is a bad thing to "rubber stamp" approve people to use a substance that alleviates pain and has negligible risks? You wouldn't complain that a doctor is rubber stamping anyone who came and asked for tylenol, why should it be any different for cannabis when cannabis is absolutely less dangerous?

It's a problem because it only legitimizes the use of weed for people who can afford to pay a doctor to give them a diagnosis.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I wonder what the immigration requirements to Uruguay are

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There are tons of people who smoke weed and then do other things because weed makes doing other things more enjoyable sometimes. With other people even. I'm not sure why that's a controversial opinion.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It takes me like 2 minutes to prepare and smoke a bowl, I do it every 2 or 3 hours when I'm not at work.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Well that's about the best outcome short of actually descheduling marijuana altogether.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
As long as what you're doing doesn't break the eight precepts they've outlined it doesn't look like they're going to prosecute.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
"Dry" counties for marijuana wouldn't be a big deal at all if it was like alcohol and possession wasn't illegal.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Revenue is not the only reason to implement a tax, they can also be levied to curtail or discourage activity. I thought a portion of the tax money from legal weed was supposed to go towards substance abuse treatment and poo poo anyways. It's not like it's all being dumped into the general fund AFAIK.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Kopi Luwak is coffee made from beans harvested from the poo poo of Asian wild cats FYI. Even that stuff is 50 times cheaper than weed.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
This is massively off topic for this thread so I won't really respond further but At Will employment is spun as the ultimate freedom! You have the freedom to quit your job any time you want, and your employer has the same right to terminate you whenever they want. Everything is equal! Don't mind the fact that there is little consequence for the employer terminating an employee or an imbalance in power dynamics or anything.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think most smokers nowadays realize that their habit is generally pretty terrible. Hell, I smoke and I like the no smoking in bars rule because I don't come home smelling like I started a forest fire and I don't end up smoking a pack and a half in a night out. Everyone wins. A similar ban on marijuana doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me, not everyone enjoys the smell of a good skunky strain.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There is no wording in stone on this because private employers are not required by any law to test their employees for substances. You need to coordinate with your boss and figure out what your company's policy is going to be regarding this, no one here is going to be able to help you.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That's a pretty poor example, harassing coworkers off work property is illegal anyways.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Putting stupid puns in headlines and lead ins to articles is like one of the few pleasures an editor gets you guys.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's because drug tests as a condition for employment aren't about safety at all, it's about screening out the massive pile of applicants for jobs, which is why it's ubiquitous in poor paying entry level positions.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Blaming it on rap music? God drat did I enter a time warp into 1995?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Elizabeth Warren is pro Israel too, doesn't mean she isn't a generally progressive (for a Democrat) Senator. So like, what is your point exactly here?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm really not sure that is going to be the case unless the product is significantly worse and more expensive which just seems really loving hard to believe. You might have a few people complaining but so what? Some people complain about paying taxes on their moonshine, it's an utterly trivial problem for 99% of people who drink.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

That "explanation" in the article from the company that made those edibles is loving laughable. "Oh, we didn't realize that our hash particles might settle to the bottom of a mixture." So apparently hiring someone with any semblance of experience in a laboratory environment just didn't occur to them? Jesus.

potheads man. Or more likely they're doing the equivalent of selling people vaped weed or oregano to kids in middle school because people don't know any better.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Dude can't even do his decimal places right, $3million is .06% of $5billion.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That sounds like an incredibly bad idea that will serve no good purpose at all.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

computer parts posted:

New Jersey is the most densely populated state though.

He didn't say it was positively correlated with density!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think you need to like reread your marx or something, legalizing weed isn't going to make class war worse. Removing a law that overwhelmingly affects minorities isn't going to somehow increase white supremacy. It might not make it a ton better, but then again no one in here has been saying that.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You know what removes income from poor communities? Having something like a quarter of your working age adults in prison or with a criminal record that excludes them from most decent paying jobs.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

computer parts posted:

Though most decent paying jobs these days require a college degree which are already out of the reach of people in poor communities.

You know what excludes you from getting loans for a college degree? A criminal drug record!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah but those same poor people won't have criminal records so they'll actually be able to fully participate in society. Do you have any data at all to back up this harebrained assertion?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
But that's a service industry? The companies actually making the airplanes are making money hand over fist.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My place of employment drug tests on hire (except when they don't, I didn't get drug tested for stupid office politics reasons) but after that it's pretty much just a tool to fire someone with cause so they don't have to pay for unemployment. Management knows if they actually tested anyone they'd have to fire well over half their employees. Even in conservative as hell Kansas the attitude is really pretty blase, as long as you're white.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Even a bag of cheetos has a serving suggestion and its ingredients clearly listed. I don't understand this curiously libertarian position that any regulation on cannabis is perpetuating the drug war.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm not going to rage about how Big Pot is going to ruin weed for the little guy or anything but come the gently caress on. In terms of quality of ingredients there isn't really much of a comparison between the quality/freshness of meat, spices and condiments between Taco Bell and even "fast casual" dining establishments like Chipotle.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

So when people dislike products they fail despite massive advertising campaigns, glad we agree.

What is the point that you are trying to make besides the one that you do in every single thread that you post in (that being that you are an insufferably obtuse pendant)? I'm really trying to figure out how this is related to the nominal topic at hand.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yes, captain obvious, I'm pretty sure we all know that a variety of factors play into the beer and taco preferences of Americans! The point I'm trying to make you autistic gently caress is that you are taking an off hand comment about a tangentially related topic at best and making it the focal point of the god drat thread in your effort to make sure that everyone is aware that you are right and that other dude is wrong. So, like, so what if microbrewery beer is no better or worse than macrobrewery beer for whatever objective standard of quality that you want to use. Who the gently caress caaaaaaares? It doesn't have jack poo poo to do with drug legalization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There are tons of strains though that aren't like maxed THC varieties, they have sativa/indica mixes with different ratios of CBD to THC, etc.

• Locked thread