Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

mdemone posted:

That's what happened in '08 in California, largely (along with upticket complications). I think CO stands a better chance of breaking the ice, but we'll see. If they pass it, legalization will follow in every west coast state within five years, and that will break the back of cannabis-as-Schedule1 almost immediately. I'm sure at least the DOJ and DEA will breathe a sigh of relief that they can divert their limited resources to more serious issues (though they will bleat a bit for the cameras), so I doubt there will be significant federal blowback on the enforcement front, but the legislative and judicial circuses will probably take another decade to subside after that.

I think you mean '10. I always had a hunch that part of the reason it failed was low voter turnout (for mid-term elections). It didn't lose by much, but with lower turnout I would figure the people driven by fear are more likely to show up than the people who support it but hey I can easily get a medical cannibis card as-is so why bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

Xeom posted:

You best also believe the SCOTUS will vote against legalization lol.Simply put its way to profitable to keep drugs illegal.

:tinfoil:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but:
a.) The SCOTUS probably wouldn't even want to hear the case.
b.) If they did, they would point out that no matter how rad a eighth of sour diesel smells, federal law still trumps state law. So the federal government is still well within its right to throw the book at every last store, distributor, and farmer that participates (that they feel like prosecuting).
c.) The fed can't force the states to get involved in enforcing their federal laws. But they can play rough and just threaten (or really go ahead and do) to cut funding for highways, infanstructure, new mililitary bases in the state, so on and so forth until the state legislature gets back in line. Thats politics bitch.
d.) Would do nothing of the above, because the medical marijuana program in Cali is a complete joke as is. And they're doing nothing about it. Yes, there are a few cases here where they knock over a dispensery and some guys in black get to go show off their fancy new riot shields. But its really telling that they just don't give a poo poo, because they could put a stop to EVERYTHING if they wanted.

Marijuana is going to be remain schedule one for a long, long time. The US has agreed to international treaties that make weed illegal (I had to look it up). It has nothing to do with 'CORPORATIONS CONTROL EVERYTHING' - its entirely due to the fact that legalization would soak up an enormous amount of political effort and frankly its just much easier to ignore the law than to repeal it.

That's how the Dutch do it at least. And you can go to a coffeeshop there and grab an eight of weed and an eight of shrooms without an issue.

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

Muck and Mire posted:

Weed is such a great way to shovel people into the system, though. It's bulky (compared to other drugs), it smells very strongly, and it stays in your system far longer than any other substance. Those other drugs just don't really have those qualities, the cops are going to have trouble meeting quotas if legalization happens :(

This type of tinfoil hattery needs to stop in this thread.

Locking people up results in a net loss for both state and federal governments. Perhaps it helps to ensure that departments that enforce the laws and incarserate the offensers don't have their departments downsized, but that's irrelevant to what we're talking about here. What we're talking about here is legislation, and law enforcement agencies have jack all to do with that - with the rare exception of some testimony they might provide on the matter. The testimony that they usually provide is siding with everyone in this thread already.

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

mdemone posted:

But not for the private prison industry, which is not a marginal case to be glossed over.

Edit: vvvv Also that, as well as pure institutional/cultural inertia. vvvv

They actually are a marginal case nation-wide (however awful they are) - not to mention the forces that made marijuana illegal and continue to keep it illegal existed well before 'for-profit prision' was even a concept.

e: The reason that discussion annoys me so much is because the principal reason recreational use is still illegal is 'drugs r bad'. The only thing holding back the legalization movement is the motivation of people that support it; the intelligent people need to get out there, change public opinion, and protest.

Spouting conspiracy theories that reinforce the idea that the system is fixed at every level is not only not true, its demoralizing to the effort. That is not at all the message that people need to be sending.

JollyGreen fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 16, 2012

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

The reason it's a point of contention is that people seem to think marijuana is some kind of panacea for social ills. "Imagine if everyone just like smoked weed man, there wouldn't be any war :2bong: "

Of course at least one person will specifically go to Colorado to try weed legally. The world has enough people that there is at least one person that will do anything. But if you think that the legality of weed is the only thing holding back the glorious revolution, you need to be brought back down to earth.

<b>
As has been said before, everyone who wants to try weed has tried it. It isn't some kind of unknown, exotic or even novel thing. However there is a lot of baggage associated with federal drug policy, and a few states legalizing weed is just skirting the issue, and I don't think many people in this thread appreciate that fact.
</b>

I'm sure you'll find that even within Colorado a lot of retail jobs will still fire/not hire you if you test positive for weed. You will probably be fired if you are a Civil Servant (police/fire/ems), and you will most certainly be fired if you are a truck driver or construction worker. Note I'm not saying you are a high while doing any of those jobs I'm saying if you smoked within the last 2 weeks, saying during your off-time, you'll still be fired. So in that sense, legalization hasn't done anything.

Lets just say I agree that 'everyone who wants to try weed as of today has tried it', then still I'm going to argue that the pool of people who want to try weed is going to grow significantly when it is legal (in their location).

You have no idea just how freaked out many people are about breaking the law. People get super paranoid and can't/won't even try. Or are so ingrained with fear that that fear has driven them to write off the substance altogether. It's not even something that was ever seriously considered. Once they hit the item in their mental checklist that says 'Is it legal?' they hit a full-stop and nothing else matters.

A friend of mine honeymoons in the Bermudas with his wife. Sometime during the trip, a bartender solicits HIM, asking him if he wants to buy weed. He eventually picks it up - however when the time comes this is basically the situation that unfolds: They (wife and husband) have a joint rolled up in their private suite/hotel place. They are completely alone, very secluded. The wife gets the husband to throw the joint in the toilet, because she is assured that the second she lifts the lit joint to her mouth, DEA agents are going to bust in the room. They flush the joint before a single puff.

Maybe goons don't give a crap about breaking the law because any of the following
civil disobedience
I know I won't get caught
I might get caught but I think I can either deal with the consequences or don't care
gently caress da police.

This is not the norm. This is goons being goons.

Basically you're massively underestimating how much changing weed's legal status is going to have on your average consumer's answer to the question 'Have you ever seriously considered smoking weed?'

Now is a good time to build/remodel hotels in Colorado, maybe one that is particularly designed/modified to serve drug tourism.

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010
In states where decriminalization has become a thing, where does growing solely for personal use (1 to 2 plants) usually fall in the criminality range? I am a hermit and don't know or want to get involve with dealers so.... details?

JollyGreen fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 6, 2014

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010
Effort post:

Maryland news :D !!!:
I feel that there's a lot of potential for movement in the decriminalization front (and maybe even legalization!). In general there's been a lot of favorable news and polls in the local media for decriminalization. There's even been some hesitant support for legalization, but the few comments that I've heard from legislators is that they're happy to let Colorado test things out first before they step in the water. Not surprising, but at least that hope for the very near future.

The first (of many) hearings for decriminalization (HB 879) and legalization (HB 880) are to take place on 3/13. I think the general idea is that this first reading has to be passed with some flavor of 'favorability' for it to get moved forward to the next step. Either way, the Maryland General Assembly closes for the year on April 7th (we only have a 90 day legislative session), if things are going to happen, we're going to be hearing a lot about this very soon.
Links to the relevant statuses of bills from Maryland's official site:
HB 879 (Decrim)
HB 880 (Legalize)

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

Spaceman Future! posted:

Just move to Colorado, you can have.. going off memory I just moved out last year after voting in favor of legalization, I believe up to 6 plants in your personal possession completely legally.

Hahaha I wish :D ... I can't justify leaving my fiance/job/family/homestate though for a bit of weed. If I wasn't so broke I would've take a vacation to the Rocky Mountains by now, I've been meaning to travel more and the photos look great.

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

JollyGreen posted:

Effort post:

Maryland news :D !!!:
I feel that there's a lot of potential for movement in the decriminalization front (and maybe even legalization!). In general there's been a lot of favorable news and polls in the local media for decriminalization. There's even been some hesitant support for legalization, but the few comments that I've heard from legislators is that they're happy to let Colorado test things out first before they step in the water. Not surprising, but at least that hope for the very near future.

The first (of many) hearings for decriminalization (HB 879) and legalization (HB 880) are to take place on 3/13. I think the general idea is that this first reading has to be passed with some flavor of 'favorability' for it to get moved forward to the next step. Either way, the Maryland General Assembly closes for the year on April 7th (we only have a 90 day legislative session), if things are going to happen, we're going to be hearing a lot about this very soon.
Links to the relevant statuses of bills from Maryland's official site:
HB 879 (Decrim)
HB 880 (Legalize)

Self quote update: So legalization isn't happening this year; that bill is dead. But apparently decriminalization is still on the table, so there's that.

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/blog/bs-md-marijuana-revival-20140404,0,7161831.story

:dance:

The decriminalization bill may pass both legislative chambers today - in Maryland.
Then it's off to the Governor's desk, who hasn't said he's explicitly against it, when prompted. So there's a lot of hope.

e: it passed, now the differences between the senate and house bills just need to be reconciled, and the gov needs to sign it

holy hell i can't believe its happening
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/04/05/house-to-vote-on-marijuana-decriminalization-bill/

JollyGreen fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 6, 2014

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

Parlett316 posted:

@GovernorOMalley: I intend to sign the bill sent to my desk that will decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana. 

Wha. What?

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/04/07/md-lawmakers-enter-last-day-of-session-marijuana-decriminalization-minimum-wage-on-agenda/

So both DC and Maryland have decriminalized. Now this is right in the federal gov's backyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

Warchicken posted:

And it's only for under an ounce, only for first offense, and if they decide you are a dealer(which could mean that you had two grams, each in their own little baggy) then they will take you down for that. It essentially adds more flexibility to the selective enforcement - that is why it happened. If you can't explain something in Mississippi, just ask yourself 'how could this gently caress over black people?' and you will have your answer.

An ounce is a shitload of weed. And yea if you are carrying around your weed in a bunch of separate containers then yes you look like a dealer. I don't get how any of what you said has racial bias.

• Locked thread