Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Weekly SHONEN JUMP (no longer Alpha) is a magazine that Viz media publishes online in many English-speaking countries. It is the successor to the print-only monthly Shonen Jump magazine. Subscribers can pay a fee of $25.99 a year or buy a single issue for 99 cents. If you have an iPad or iPad mini, the WSJ Newsstand app also allows you to pay $2.99 a month for a subscription. Android devices as well. The yearly subscription comes with:
  • 48 issues a year :siren:Simultaneous release starting on January 21, 2013:siren:
  • 4 Yu-Gi-Oh! cards a year (sell them online to recoup the cost of subscription!)
  • SJ Alpha VIP meet-ups throughout the year; never been to one, but the cosplay photos in the magazine, are, uh, interesting
  • Special one-shots and other special features like a yearbook, DLC codes for video games, and so on
WSJ is now available in the US, Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa (everything outside North America with some caveats, namely that you need a mobile device outside of NA).

International pricing
See this web page for continual updates, but it goes like:
  • UK - £1.99/month, £0.69/single issue
  • Ireland - 2,69 €/month, 0,89 €/single
  • Australia - $2.99 AUD/month, $0.63 AUD/single
  • New Zealand - $4.19 NZD/month, $1.29 NZD/single
  • South Africa - R24.99/month, R7.99/single

Issues expire one year after they are released and come out on Mondays no longer expire and any expired issues you have should have been reverted. You can buy online volumes of Alpha series and most other Viz titles through Viz Manga for $4.99 each. The WSJ issues are viewed through Viz Manga's website as well.

Important?

Delusibeta posted:

Yeah, non-US folk is restricted to either a) buying Jump from iOS' Newsstand app, b) buying Jump from the specific Jump Android app (with no way to buy back catalogue issues) or c) [UK folk only, AFAIK] buying volumes from Nook, which requires you to use their Android app or their tablets. No web reader, no VizManga app, not even Kindle versions. It's really half arsed.

What series do I get?
Previously serialized in SJ Alpha/WSJ:
  • :neckbeard: Bakuman - old thread - As Pierson put it in the OP of the old thread: "Bakuman is a manga about manga. More specifically it's about two highschool guys attempting to become mangakas (manga authors), and all the trials and tribulations they go through as they attempt to get a published series in Shounen Jump, all in the name of love." From the same guys who did Death Note, Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata. It ended in SJ Alpha on the last chapter of the series.
  • Barrage - Fun, short (16 chapters) series by Kouhei Horikoshi. It follows Astro, a poor boy from the slums, on a journey on the planet Industria. He meets Prince Barrage, who looks just like him, and the rest is history. Entirely serialized in SJ Alpha if you were lucky enough to have a subscription for its run.
  • :neckbeard: Cross Manage - series by KAITO. It's about a boy, Sakurai, who used to be on the soccer team but isn't with them anymore for some reason. He bumps into Toyoguichi, who forces him into becoming the manager for the lacrosse team. Nice slice-of-life.
  • Jaco the Galactic Patrolman - Short series by Akira Toriyama, a policeman is stranded on Earth. July 15-September 30. Pretty awesome twist at the end.
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan - 207-chapter long series by Hiroshi Shiibashi. From Wikipedia because I never read the series: "Rikuo Nura is part human who is a quarter yōkai, becoming a yōkai during the night. He lives in a house full of yōkai along with his yōkai grandfather. Trying to escape his fate, he does good deeds in order to avoid becoming a yōkai, despite his grandfather's wish that Rikuo succeed him as the Third Head of the Nura Clan. Rikuo is different because he helps humans. He eventually comes to terms with his yōkai blood and decides to take up the position of the Third Head of the Nura Clan." Ended in WSJ on Jan 14.
  • Rurouni Kenshin: Restoration - monthly series by Nobuhiro Watsuki. This is a short reboot of Rurouni Kenshin, which ended its Japanese serialization in 1999 and has all of its chapters out in volumes in NA, published by Viz. It follows a fictional assassin, Himura Kenshin, during the final years of the Edo period and early Meiji. Kenshin spends his time wandering the countryside to atone for his sins.
  • Takama-ga-hara - Fun, short series by Jyuuzou Kawai (started SJ Alpha on July 23 of this year and lasted for 16 chapters). It's about gods and the humans that fight with the powers of these gods, dressed up in the atmosphere of a high school. The main character is Yamato Yamado, hailing from a family famous for their physical strength (but all he wants to do is draw manga). Yamato's life gets crazy as he awakens to the blood of the gods inside of him.
Currently on-going:
  • Bleach - manga thread 14 - Popular series by Tite Kubo. Ichigo Kurosaki has always been able to see ghosts and after a chance encounter with Rukia Kuchiki and a Hollow (lost soul), he becomes a Soul Reaper and dedicates his life to protecting the innocent from Hollows and other nasty otherworldy things. That's a simplification and I'm not even sure what it's about anymore, but there you go.
  • Blue Exorcist - monthly series by Kazue Katou. Wikipedia: "The story revolves around Rin Okumura, a teenager who discovers he is the son of Satan born from a human woman and is the inheritor of Satan's powers. When Satan kills his guardian, Rin decides to become an exorcist in order to defeat his father" and after reading that, I'm going to go read it now.
  • :neckbeard: Dragon Ball (Full Color) - series by Akira Toriyama, now in FULL COLOR. Started WSJ serialization on February 4 on chapter 195.
  • :neckbeard: (for now) Naruto - manga thread 17, make it stop!!! - Popular series by Masashi Kishimoto, especially in North America. It's about Uzumaki Naruto, a ninja-in-training who wants acceptance from his peers and desires the title of Hokage (Fire Shadow). Problem is, he's the container for the Nine-Tailed Fox, a demon spirit that wrecked his home village of Konoha during his birth; the Fourth Hokage sealed the Nine-Tails inside of Naruto and many people hate the poor guy for it. Also, something about some guy named Sasuke. Origin of :kakashi:
  • Nisekoi: False Love - Series by Naoshi Komi, debuting in Alpha on November 26, 2012 on chapter 49. As a child, Raku Ichijo, part of the head family of a yakuza gang, made a secret promise with his childhood sweetheart, keeping a pendant as a memento while his love took the key. Since this is a manga, the first girl he meets with a matching key that she doesn't remember the reason for, Chitoge, loves hates him and she's also the daughter of a rival gang's boss. And their families have decided they ought to get together, despite the fact they hate each other (probably). And later, two more girls show up with identical keys...
  • :neckbeard: One Piece - manga thread 11, I post too much in that drat thread - Extremely popular series by Eiichiro Oda. I don't think it's possible to overstate its popularity in Japan; pretty popular everywhere else, and a known Thing in North America, thanks to the revival of the Funimation dub. Monkey D. Luffy is a rubber boy with a straw hat. He wants to gather a crew, conquer the Grand Line, find One Piece (the greatest treasure in the world; no one knows what it is), and become King of the Pirates. Origin of :zoro: and :yohoho:, the best smiley. This series will probably end in no less than a decade, fair warning, and it's been on-going since 1997.
  • :neckbeard: One-Punch Man - manga thread 1 - collaboration between Yusuke Murata (Eyeshield 21 art) and ONE (original comic, story). Saitama is a seemingly average guy with the power to take out enemies in one punch. He's such a good superhero that his life is just getting boring. Follow Saitama as he tries to find a worthy challenger. Hilarious story, absolutely amazing art.
  • Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign - new monthly series, story by Takaya Kagami, art by Yamato Yamamoto. "After a catastrophic epidemic kills every adult on earth, vampires arise from the shadows to enslave the remaining human population. Yuichiro and his friends are kept as vampire fodder in a creepy underground city. Yuichiro dreams of one day fighting back, and the first step is staging a daring escape from their vampire overlords..."
  • Stealth Symphony - story by Ryohgo Narita (Durarara!!), art by Yoichi Amo (Gintama assistant)
  • :neckbeard: Toriko - manga thread 2 - Popular series by Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro. Toriko is a Gourmet Hunter. In short, manly man goes around beating up manly things to make delicious, delicious exotic manly meals. It's like One Piece when they beat up animals and cook them, with 80s style shounen stuff, all of the time. This is all you need to know.
  • World Trigger - new series by Daisuke Ashihara, starting its WSJ serialization at the same time as Japan, on February 11. A gate to another dimension has opened and invisible monsters called Neighbors roam Earth. Only a group of elite warriors who co-opt other-dimensional technology can defend life on Earth as we know it...
  • :regd08: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal - card battle anime thread - monthly series by Shin Yoshida and Naoto Miyashi. The anime was based on the manga (I know). It comes after 5Ds. In Heartland City, Yuma Tsukomo wants to become Duel Monsters champion despite his amateur status. During a duel with a rival, the spirit Astral appears before him and helps him win. Astral explains that he is looking for his lost memories and Yuma can help; the series concerns itself with card games and finding Astral's memories, which have been transformed into Xyz monster cards, or Numbers, and it's not a call-back to the original series, I swear.

Where can I try out SJ Alpha/WSJ to see if I like the quality?
You can pay 99 cents for a current issue that will last a month or go here for a preview.

You can almost-full screen with the online reader, but it lets you zoom in too. Translations are very good and the images are high quality. Yes, it is Zolo. Blame 4kids.

Viz is also being generous enough to offer full first chapter previews of almost all of its series separately (even the ones not in Alpha) if you decide you like the format and also want to make all of your volume purchases through them too.

Do I HAVE to read online?
You can read online in any modern browser through their flash viewer or through apps for the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android, Android tablet, or Kindle Fire. There are rumors of more things for more platforms later. Link to general information about the Viz app for all platforms available

If you have an iPad or an iPad mini, you also have the option of reading your issues and volumes through the newsstand, at $3 a month or presumably the regular price of $26 a year if you have a subscription already. Android devices have something similar. You cannot read volumes purchased through Viz through the WSJ app, you need the Viz Media app for that.

I thought it was simultaneous, but some of these series are a few days behind the scanlations!
Online scanlators actually get scans on the Wednesday or so before the chapter comes out on Monday. Some of the more popular series (Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, etc) will have speed scanlators that can knock out a relatively clean translation before the chapters are even available for sale. Of course, this isn't true for all of the series in WSJ as it depends on the scanlation groups available. (Also, Mangapanda sucks)

I am a cheap bastard.
If you have an Android, download the Viz manga app. Click the button that says "Free" and select an advertising offer to view the issue that week, no further commitment needed. Get free manga. No excuses. Okay, maybe not, read the following testimonial:

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It doesn't work on Kindle Fire, which is to say the version of the app on the Fire doesn't have the option for the free issues. But it does work on my phone, and giving it a try it's "ad-supported" in the same way that say, Fandango gives you free movie tickets if you jump through hoops and sign up for other services for them.

Most of the apps it seems to offer for you to download look like they're free, at least, but you have to download and launch them in exchange for a single free issue of Weekly Jump. Not sure if you can use the same app more than once either, so it may be that you can only get a few issues before you're out of luck.

It's kind of sad, because I'd be totally for a version of the app that just displayed ads at the top and bottom of the page.
So depending on how you feel about downloading random apps and deleting them again in exchange for a free issue, it may or may not be for you.

What about Hunter x Hunter? Or all of the other old series in Monthly Shonen Jump?
Viz probably didn't think that they would be enough of a draw to continue with. As for HxH... it's never going to finish, is it? :smith:

With the simultaneous release announcement, Alpha will also be picking up new series. Watch this space.

Talk about WSJ or WSJ series without threads here. For shonen without threads not in Alpha, there's the miscellaneous shonen thread. If you want Kodansha stuff, as opposed to the Shueisha stuff published in WSJ, such as Attack on Titan, Fairy Tail, UQ Holder, etc, try Crunchyroll's simulpub service! $5/month for manga-only or get all-access ($12/month), which also gets you anime and dramas.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Happily reading this every Monday. BEAST TO GUN is one of the many things I'm loving about Takama-Ga-Hara.

I'm a huge fan of series with wild and strange powers, so this one was an easy sell for me. I hope the main character's power ends up being more interesting than just 'punch and/or kick hard' but even if it isn't, the rest of the cast will keep me with it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If there's an actual android app, I might give this another shot. I read most of my manga on my phone, and that was one of the big things that stopped me in the past.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 11, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Dickeye posted:

If there's an actual android app, I might give this another shot. I read most of my manga on my phone, and that was one of the big things that stopped me in the past.
Here's the app, I have no idea on its quality, but it exists. It's a general Viz Manga app that also lets you read Alpha issues.

Updated OP with app links. :v:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

A bit of advice if you don't care in the least about the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG and subscribe to SJ Alpha. Don't burn or throw the cards away, you can sell them instead.

Thanks to the fact that SJ Alpha is digital only and all the promos are subscriber only, the secondary market value for most of these will be worth the subscription price alone. So you can keep them if you actually play the game/think they look cool, or you can sell them and get a little extra cash and potentially pay for another year's subscription.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well, gee, I'd sure love to legitimise my reading of One Piece but the problem is I'm a filthy british philistine and how dare I even so much as look at SJA's website.

I feel absolutely no sympathy when a product that is region locked (and stupidly too, It's not like Viz is an outside company, it is basically shueisha/Shogakukan USA) gets the poo poo pirated out of. They had their chance to allow me to purchase the product (something I'd be more than happy to do) and they blew it.

Hell, i'd buy it as a means of not having to store 80 some physical volumes of One Piece. That's 80 * however much they're charging the volumes for. That's a frankly silly amount of money they're not picking up.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 11, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Autumncomet posted:

Here's the app, I have no idea on its quality, but it exists. It's a general Viz Manga app that also lets you read Alpha issues.

Updated OP with app links. :v:

It's pretty nice, actually! Took me a minute to figure out I had to actual swipe left to right to turn the page, after using ComicRack for forever, but I like it. I'm considering using this to buy manga instead of buying paper copies now.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well, gee, I'd sure love to legitimise my reading of One Piece but the problem is I'm a filthy british philistine and how dare I even so much as look at SJA's website.

I feel absolutely no sympathy when a product that is region locked (and stupidly too, It's not like Viz is an outside company, it is basically shueisha/Shogakukan USA) gets the poo poo pirated out of. They had their chance to allow me to purchase the product (something I'd be more than happy to do) and they blew it.

Hell, i'd buy it as a means of not having to store 80 some physical volumes of One Piece. That's 80 * however much they're charging the volumes for. That's a frankly silly amount of money they're not picking up.

Hey you know Viz doesn't have distro rights in the UK, right? And that you're screaming about your apple not being an orange?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 11, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yes, how dare I find myself annoyed at that, really I should be utterly ashamed!

And Viz's stuff is not licensed for the UK? Coulda fooled me for thinking otherwise and don't go "That's different" 'cause it ain't, really.

I can't think of the magical contract that somehow allows US Distribution via digital and locks out everywhere else from that format whilst allowing them to buy the paperback version. I can think of a badly written one, though.
:qqsay:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 11, 2012

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yes, how dare I find myself annoyed at that, really I should be utterly ashamed!

And Viz's stuff is not licensed for the UK? Coulda fooled me for thinking otherwise and don't go "That's different" 'cause it ain't, really.

I can't think of the magical contract that somehow allows US Distribution via digital and locks out everywhere else from that format whilst allowing them to buy the paperback version. I can think of a badly written one, though.
:qqsay:

When Viz Licensed OP Official Digital Distro wasn't a thing.

The Digital rights had to be negotiated separately after the fact.

Viz probably did the math and decided that paying for both the US(Canada) and the UK rights wasn't worth the comical prices Shueisha was probably asking for them. So they just got the US ones.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Because the way to prevent loss revenue via piracy is to say to 2/3'd (or more, I mean Canada and UK isn't the be-all-end-all) of your customer base to go gently caress off and wait months on end for the trades because you're just not worth it to bother. 'Cause that'll totally work.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 12, 2012

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Because the way to prevent loss revenue via piracy is to say to 2/3'd (or more, I mean Canada and UK isn't the be-all-end-all) of your customer base to go gently caress off and wait months on end for the trades because you're just not worth it to bother. 'Cause that'll totally work.

Piracy isnt lost revenue for them outside of america(or where ever they have digital distro). And even in america piracy isnt that big of an issue as a majority of those who pirate would never pay for this stuff anyway.

They are skipping over a potential market sure. But if their metrics were telling them that buying the rights and releasing in other parts of the world would make them more money as a business I would have no doubts that they would start this service up elsewere.

Whether their metrics are right is an argument that neither you or I are able to have without actual numbers so I will just leave it there.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Doesn't matter, I'll get it in the format I want one way or another. If Viz want to be involved in that process beyond being stupid and tight arse'd then they're welcome to do so.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Looks like the next Yu-Gi-Oh! card is Number 40: Gimmick Puppet of Strings. I have no idea how much it's selling for, but there you go.

If you become a member by November 16th, you'll be shipped a yearbook by the end of December.

quote:

To celebrate the launch year of Weekly SHONEN JUMP Alpha, we’re releasing a special print collector SJ Alpha Yearbook 2013 as a gift for SJ Alpha Members.*

Inside, there’s the never-before-seen-manga Otter No.11, a spin-off one-shot from the hit series Bakuman。And don't miss out on our double-sided centerfold poster.

There’s also a preview of Sachie-chan Good!! by special guest artists Akira Toriyama and Masakazu Katsura, along with an interview with both mangaka. The SJ Alpha Yearbook for members will contain the fourth Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG promo card, which will be announced at New York Comic-Con 2012 [Numbers 40, above]. Plus we have a special Super Fan section with cosplay photos, fan art, 2012 con recaps, and more!
The poster is of Bakuman on one side and Naruto on the other. :effort:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

You can now read Viz manga titles on the Kindle Fire. OP updated accordingly.

e: Ooh, and a new "starter pack" if you want to try things out.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 23, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Autumncomet posted:

You can now read Viz manga titles on the Kindle Fire. OP updated accordingly.

e: Ooh, and a new "starter pack" if you want to try things out.

Does that include Shonen Jump Alpha? 'Cause if so, that might end up selling me on the whole thing.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Does that include Shonen Jump Alpha? 'Cause if so, that might end up selling me on the whole thing.
Not sure how buying on the Fire itself works, but here, you can see Alpha issues in some of the screenshots. I guess it wouldn't hurt to download the app and try out one of the sample issues to see if it works.

Found more links to free volume previews and app stuff.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
How far back can I read in each series? Is it possible for me to reread One Piece this way and thus avoid 'ruffy dofulamingo bisoromi bear nakama?'

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Uh, Bisoromi Bear is the best character after Smoker and I will not tolerate your libel. :colbert:

SJ Alpha gives you issues for a year from the point you started paying. Each issue you get expires a year from its 'publish' date. To read back issues, you need to purchase the corresponding volumes, so it works like the print magazine did. It's $4.99 a volume for One Piece, which is cheaper than the print volumes and they don't expire like SJ Alpha issues. And I believe the online volumes are one ahead of the print ones. You can use all of the same apps and stuff to read them.

Good god, One Piece is going to be so expensive to own when it finally ends. :psyduck: Throw in the Funi dub, and my disposable income?

And because we need more series discussion in this thread, I'm very glad Cross Manage is showing some character development for our protagonist. :v: I was seriously worried it would turn into a harem manga or something, and while the lead guy and gal are obvious, it seems to be doing well enough on other fronts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Autumncomet posted:

Uh, Bisoromi Bear is the best character after Smoker and I will not tolerate your libel. :colbert:

SJ Alpha gives you issues for a year from the point you started paying. Each issue you get expires a year from its 'publish' date. To read back issues, you need to purchase the corresponding volumes, so it works like the print magazine did. It's $4.99 a volume for One Piece, which is cheaper than the print volumes and they don't expire like SJ Alpha issues. And I believe the online volumes are one ahead of the print ones. You can use all of the same apps and stuff to read them.

Good god, One Piece is going to be so expensive to own when it finally ends. :psyduck: Throw in the Funi dub, and my disposable income?

And because we need more series discussion in this thread, I'm very glad Cross Manage is showing some character development for our protagonist. :v: I was seriously worried it would turn into a harem manga or something, and while the lead guy and gal are obvious, it seems to be doing well enough on other fronts.

I would buy a tablet that was simply the entirety of One Piece in a single easy to navigate and read form, preferably with a fancy OP-styled shell.

It'd still be cheaper than buying all the copies of the volumes, I bet.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh, drat it. I knew the second half of this week's Takama-Ga-Hara felt like it was rushing ahead, but I didn't think it was the second to last chapter. :( It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but I was enjoying it in SJA. At least Cross Manage is still interesting.

Glad to see that SJA will be going simultaneous release soon too. I like reading the official scans along with the scanlations but the week gap between each one made it annoying to compare.

I'm also looking forward to the Toriyama and Otter-11 one shots coming in the Yearbook. I'll definitely be subscribing next year for stuff like that.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Oh Takama-Ga-Hara. :(

In happier news, Nisekoi will be starting in Alpha in 2 weeks, presumably from the beginning. It's a romantic comedy, which is an unusual decision for SJ Alpha, but it's nice to see some variety first with Cross Manage and now this.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I guess the idea of "even get new comics as they begin their runs in Shonen Jump" exposes us to the unfamiliar world of "see new SJ comics get cancelled for bad ratings or however they determine that in Japan." Sucks, because I haven't been feeling this One Piece arc so Takama-ga-hara was the series I looked forward to most the last few weeks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Raposa posted:

How far back can I read in each series? Is it possible for me to reread One Piece this way and thus avoid 'ruffy dofulamingo bisoromi bear nakama?'

You have to buy digital copies of the volumes for that, but they have a ton up already so you should totally do that.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Wait they rebooted Rurouni Kenshin and there is a Live Action Film, what the gently caress.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Koirhor posted:

Wait they rebooted Rurouni Kenshin and there is a Live Action Film, what the gently caress.

IIRC the rebooted manga is an adaption of the live action film, albeit one that is done by the original creator.

Speaking of which, I've heard the live action movie isn't too bad. I figure it can't be worse than the recent OVA they made, that was just dull if you're familiar with the series and on top of that confusing if you're not.

RedBoot
Jul 12, 2003

The Ass Hand: Evolution's Greatest Triumph

Autumncomet posted:

In happier news, Nisekoi will be starting in Alpha in 2 weeks, presumably from the beginning. It's a romantic comedy, which is an unusual decision for SJ Alpha, but it's nice to see some variety first with Cross Manage and now this.

Well, poo poo, between this and the Yearbook thing (getting that Otter 11 chapter in print), they just sold me a subscription.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Farewell Takama-ga-hara. :patriot:

Nisekoi will be joining the line-up next week. It sounds like it won't be from the beginning but they'll give some more "catch-up" summaries like they did when Alpha first went live.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

King of 100 Guns. Yes.

It may not have lasted long, but I'm happy they gave it a good farewell. That final punch was badass.

I'm fine with Nisekoi not starting from the beginning. That's Alpha's appeal, really. It's like having a part of the real Shonen Jump each week. I've never read the series myself, but I haven't read Exorcist either and I'm enjoying reading it each week regardless.

Now if they'd only add Beelzebub.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's official, SJA will be moving to simultaneous release January 21, 2013, presumably catching up over the two week break.

Additionally, Nisekoi: False Love debuted today starting with chapter 49.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Here's hoping Hunter x Hunter is one of the new titles they're promising in that announcement. No idea if it's coming out of hiatus, but there are gonna be two special chapters next month and I'd love to at the very least read those without relying on scanlations with iffy grammar.

Basically I want a reason to give Viz my money but unless they expand this with non-shonen jump stuff HxH is the only title I'd be interested in.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
This is good news. I already have a subscription, but until now I wasn't getting much out of it.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 27, 2012

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I read chapter 1 and then chapter 49-50 of Nisekoi and it's possibly the worst comic I've ever read. I can concede easily that it's not "for me" but still, that's a potent cocktail of bland characters, bad writing, and generic art that is just a total miss.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Boco_T posted:

I read chapter 1 and then chapter 49-50 of Nisekoi and it's possibly the worst comic I've ever read. I can concede easily that it's not "for me" but still, that's a potent cocktail of bland characters, bad writing, and generic art that is just a total miss.

I gave up on it just from reading the description. What possessed you to read three actual chapters of it?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Silver2195 posted:

I gave up on it just from reading the description. What possessed you to read three actual chapters of it?
"I paid for this as a part of my SJA subscription, might as well make sure I'll be okay skipping over it every week!"

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I took the liberty of adding one emoticon next to each series title in the OP depending on how I feel about it to help goons out. Feel free to suggest ratings for series that don't have them or any adjustments. :v:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

I took the liberty of adding one emoticon next to each series title in the OP depending on how I feel about it to help goons out. Feel free to suggest ratings for series that don't have them or any adjustments. :v:

Naruto is kind of a mixed bag, so I guess it should get both a :signings: and a :yayclod:.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I'm curious about how the transition to simultaneous release is going to work. Are we just going to get three chapters of everything at once on 1/21 or what?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Jump gets two weeks off right around the new year, so presumably instead of taking those weeks off this year, Alpha will use them to transition to a simultaneous release. Or they could dump us with a triple release, I wouldn't mind either way.

Rothgil
May 12, 2008
Nisekoi starts out dumb but gets amazing down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Man, Alpha going simultaneous sells me on it so hard. I'm going to have to try and catch up on Toriko and the rest of whatever's good that I'm not already reading, then find the money for a subscription. I don't mind waiting an extra week to get it legit and at the same time as Japan.

I kinda wish Viz would expand their version of Shonen Jump out too, maybe mix in several monthlies or more weeklies from sources that aren't the Japanese Shonen Jump.

• Locked thread