Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Man, Alpha going simultaneous sells me on it so hard. I'm going to have to try and catch up on Toriko and the rest of whatever's good that I'm not already reading, then find the money for a subscription. I don't mind waiting an extra week to get it legit and at the same time as Japan.

I kinda wish Viz would expand their version of Shonen Jump out too, maybe mix in several monthlies or more weeklies from sources that aren't the Japanese Shonen Jump.

They probably have a contract forbidding non-Jump series in a publication with "Shonen Jump" in the title. I suppose they could make a separate Shonen Sunday Alpha, but it wouldn't sell anywhere near as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

They probably have a contract forbidding non-Jump series in a publication with "Shonen Jump" in the title. I suppose they could make a separate Shonen Sunday Alpha, but it wouldn't sell anywhere near as well.

I'm pretty sure that all their monthly series, like Blue Exorcist, run in Jump Square in Japan. And America doesn't have fifty billion manga magazines like Japan, so it makes more sense to lump everything together under one title with well known enough name recognition than run several slightly differently named publications.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Strange Quark posted:

I'm pretty sure that all their monthly series, like Blue Exorcist, run in Jump Square in Japan. And America doesn't have fifty billion manga magazines like Japan, so it makes more sense to lump everything together under one title with well known enough name recognition than run several slightly differently named publications.

Yeah, this is my assumption. That Viz just bought the rights to publish collections of manga they've got licensed under the name "Shonen Jump" and they aren't strictly tied to things that appear in the Japanese collection of the same name.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

:siren:Android users will be able to get free ad-supported issues of SJA :siren:

quote:

VIZ Media gives Android users new to WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP ALPHA or the manga genre itself an easy reason to explore the nation’s leading digital manga (graphic novel) magazine with a new ad-supported option that allows readers to read a complete issue for free.

Readers simply click on the “Free” button in the VIZ Manga app & choose from a variety of promotional offers from our advertising partners in order to get access to each week’s issue of WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP ALPHA with no further commitment required. The ad-supported option is available only to Android users at this time.
Android users in North America, you have no excuse. :colbert:
edit: gently caress, I will make it even easier. Here's the link to the Android app from the op

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Heeeeeey, that's pretty sweet. I'll totally download it and try it out!

Edit: Can't be worse then mangafox without adblock... v:shobon:v

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
"Choose from a variety of promotional offers" makes me think less of ads on the sides and more of having to sign up for other vaguely shady websites and services. Has anyone given this a shot?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

How hard is it to just have Netflix for Manga I'd pay 10 a month or so for full access.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Viz is essentially Shueisha USA. It's full of people who definitely want world-wide simultaneous releases, but the Japanese management can be pretty restricting. Whenever they're about to bite it because of those decisions, Shueisha pumps some more money into them to keep them afloat. So their corporate overlord and lifeline is Shonen Jump's publisher. And within Japan, Shueisha has the single best manga publication. As a matter of pride, Viz is too important to fail, so it'll stay around. And you probably won't see a Viz Shonen Sunday USA.

socialsecurity posted:

How hard is it to just have Netflix for Manga I'd pay 10 a month or so for full access.

Hard. There's a consortium of about fifty publishers who basically have to agree unanimously to get anything done. A company called Bitway has successfully navigated these waters, and because people in Japan follow the rules even when the rules aren't the best, they have a very stable domestic business to prop up their international offerings, as well as leverage to defend against competition attempting to license manga directly. Unfortunately, they haven't hit upon the right combination of business model and revenue, which is why you don't see a Netflix for Manga.

Cheap, legit all-you-can-eat-manga sites have been worked on for years, and it boils down to this: you need enough leverage to license good titles, and you need enough good titles to license more. It's a bit sad that the US webcomic hosting portals suffered from a lack of vision - at one point, IMO, they had the opportunity to dominate delivery of comics online.

BTW, you might want to check out JManga7 (which is *not* the same thing as JManga btw) for the series that SJA doesn't have.

In roughly a year or two I think you'll start to see online manga really start to take off. We've waited enough already, ffs.

EDIT: corrected minor errors in punctuation, diction, etc.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 6, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Fill out this survey about how you use SJA to get a chance to win a subscription/renewal for a year and 3 free volumes. 150 possible winners, you don't even have to be a current subscriber (you do have to be over 13 and living in North America but not Quebec).

Cross Manage. :3:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Presumably this means Alpha will pick up HxH if it ever goes off hiatus.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
More news regarding Jump Alpha going simultaneous with Japan came out this past issue.

As they put it, they are taking the Alpha out of Shonen Jump Alpha. On the SJA site, there is a countdown to when the simultaneous release begins.

In the January 7th issue of Jump Alpha, it was announced that there will no longer be a one-year expiration on previous issues if you are a subscriber. You get every issue from when you subscribed until your subscription ends. No word on if they are adding any new series soon, though. But that may come in the Jan 14th issue. We shall wait and see.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I wouldn't use :signings: for Bleach. Not that insulting Bleach is a bad thing, it went from being awesome to Oh! Great level inept but with less full frontal nudity and no ironic enjoyment around the eighth time Aizen's battle was delayed so we could watch nobodies fight each other for three issues. But now it's barely in the top 10 best selling shounen series for Jump alone.

Has the exploding Psyduck head been deleted yet?

Mike Toole
Apr 9, 2001

WE ARE GOING BACK!!
Chiming in to point out that Cross Manage is a really fun little sports manga. It's more than just "dude can't find fun club, so follows plucky but inept girl to weird exotic sports club," the guy's a soccer star whose career got derailed by injury. I flip through the other titles, but every Monday I go straight to Cross Manage first.

Also, for any remaining fence-sitters: seriously, just sell the Yu-gi-oh cards on eBay and you'll recoup your $25 investment. Worked like a charm for me.

I also want more titles, or an easier way to get into current ones. I have the first 25 books of One Piece and am still hopelessly, hilariously behind.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks Kuroyama. I'll update the OP in a bit. Also seconding Cross Manage, hope it doesn't go the way of Barrage since it's a fun manga.

The Bleach thing is tongue-in-cheek and I'm honestly liking it more than Naruto these days but if it bothers you that much I'll change it to something else, just don't know what. Edit: or pair it with another one like I did Naruto and One Piece.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

:siren:Android users will be able to get free ad-supported issues of SJA :siren:

Android users in North America, you have no excuse. :colbert:
edit: gently caress, I will make it even easier. Here's the link to the Android app from the op

Booo. Your pitch convinced me to give it a try, but the app, while compatible with my phone, isn't compatible with my tablet. And no one wants to read comics on a tiny-rear end phone screen.

I refuse to believe the app wouldn't work my one-year-old tablet. This is probably Viz being lazy and not setting their device requirements correctly. Going to attempt to sideload it. Will report on results.

edit: Googling around, there are some reports that the app is intentionally limited to android devices with 7" and small screens, which is a pretty lovely limitation if they did it intentionally. Seems like you can get around this by using the amazon app version?

Edit 2: sideloading the app works.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 14, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Mind posting some feedback about the ad-based version of the app? Does it just display the ads at the bottom of the page?

Also the first series to come to the new Weekly Shonen Jump is ADTRW darling :siren:One-Punch Man:siren:, starting the same day as simultaneous release. Now all they need is Assassination Classroom.

edit: After giving it some thought, I'll just do for the OP recommendations what Zorak does for the seasonal anime threads.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 14, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Autumncomet posted:

Mind posting some feedback about the ad-based version of the app? Does it just display the ads at the bottom of the page?

It doesn't work on Kindle Fire, which is to say the version of the app on the Fire doesn't have the option for the free issues. But it does work on my phone, and giving it a try it's "ad-supported" in the same way that say, Fandango gives you free movie tickets if you jump through hoops and sign up for other services for them.

Most of the apps it seems to offer for you to download look like they're free, at least, but you have to download and launch them in exchange for a single free issue of Weekly Jump. Not sure if you can use the same app more than once either, so it may be that you can only get a few issues before you're out of luck.

It's kind of sad, because I'd be totally for a version of the app that just displayed ads at the top and bottom of the page.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

drat, that is a shame. I don't have an Android, but I was thinking it would be like the free Funimation app, where there's an ad at the bottom (except when you watch videos, and really with manga you could get away with ads at the top and bottom). Your testimonial (and some other stuff) have been added to the OP.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Due to the nature of where online scans of Shonen Jump series come from, even with Shonen Jump Alpha being simultaneous release it'd be a week behind the online scans right?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Is there anyone from the outside of the US currently using the service? I'm very very interested, but I want to know how many hoops I'd have to jump through to get it all working.

I'd want to use both the web app and the android apps.

e: I want it as soon as possible to get in on the One punch man goodness.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Autumncomet posted:

drat, that is a shame. I don't have an Android, but I was thinking it would be like the free Funimation app, where there's an ad at the bottom (except when you watch videos, and really with manga you could get away with ads at the top and bottom). Your testimonial (and some other stuff) have been added to the OP.

Yeah, doing it with ads makes a lot more sense then the way it's done. Glad to be of some help, though. Maybe if nobody uses that version they'll give in an do it proper. Or, more likely, scrap the whole thing and keep it a purely pay deal.

RatHat posted:

Due to the nature of where online scans of Shonen Jump series come from, even with Shonen Jump Alpha being simultaneous release it'd be a week behind the online scans right?

As far as I know, yes. From what I understand we actually get the chapters about a week before Japan, so simultaneous release in Shonen Jump Alpha would still be a week behind that. So, say if you wanted to start reading Alpha with this week's One Piece you'd still just be reading the last One Piece released here. I think.

RedBoot
Jul 12, 2003

The Ass Hand: Evolution's Greatest Triumph
Yeah, don't scans generally come out mid-week? If something came out on Wednesday, it'd be in Jump Alpha the following Monday.

I'm hoping this simultaneous release encourages people to go with this digital version. I mean, we're finally getting a timely, legal, well-priced release.

Interested to see what else comes with next week's new issue. Maybe Sket Dance or Medaka Box? I imagine we'll get AssClass eventually too, if it is indeed the new hotness. Though I worry about them starting that one at wherever the Japanese release is. I didn't mind Nisekoi starting 40 chapters in since it's pretty episodic, but I get the feeling AssClass is the sort of thing I'd want to read from the start.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Unfortunately, WSJ isn't available outside of the US and Canada (don't know about territories of either) and there are obviously plenty of people in other countries/on holiday in other countries that read manga. And the mid-week thing might only apply to the really popular series. I doubt people are clamoring to translate Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal or even Cross Manage, for example, and WSJ just may be the fastest way to get those.

When Viz replaced the print magazine, they provided a few pages of "catch-up" for the series it was carrying over into Alpha, summarizing major plot points. And maybe they'll release the early volumes for cheap through the online volume thing (that's always ahead of the print releases) so people can buy them to catch up. :v: I'm also hoping for Rookie Policewoman Kiruko, since it just finished its first major 'arc' and is doing decently in the weekly rankings.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
A few weeks into the shift to simultaneous releases, and I'm liking it so far. Like they said, they took the Alpha out of Shonen Jump Alpha, and call it Weekly Shonen Jump. I don't know about you, but I'm still gonna call it Jump Alpha. One complaint I can definitely find right now is with the handling of the monthly titles, Rurouni Kenshin and Blue Exorcist especially. It just seems really random when one of those series will show up.

And now for Jump news. This week, Jump started running a full-color run of Dragon Ball Z. Starting from Radditz's appearance. And next week, they will add World Trigger, a totally new series like Cross Manage.

Weekly Shonen Jump's preview:

quote:

A gate to another dimension has burst open, and from it emerge gigantic invincible creatures that threaten all of humanity. Earth's only defense is a mysterious group of warriors who have co-opted the alien technology in order to fight back!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

A few weeks into the shift to simultaneous releases, and I'm liking it so far. Like they said, they took the Alpha out of Shonen Jump Alpha, and call it Weekly Shonen Jump. I don't know about you, but I'm still gonna call it Jump Alpha. One complaint I can definitely find right now is with the handling of the monthly titles, Rurouni Kenshin and Blue Exorcist especially. It just seems really random when one of those series will show up.

And now for Jump news. This week, Jump started running a full-color run of Dragon Ball Z. Starting from Radditz's appearance. And next week, they will add World Trigger, a totally new series like Cross Manage.

Weekly Shonen Jump's preview:
Seconding the BE/RK comment, I tend to skim those series' if I read them at all since, if they are running in order, there's no coherency to the plot. Every time they show up in the magazine, it seems like a random chapter rather than the next issue. Maybe that's just me.

Definitely enjoying DBZ though! I'll be glad to actually read through that, and it looks great in color. Also excited for World Trigger! The concept sounds interesting, and if it's half as surprisingly good as Cross Manage (which I am loving), it'll be a great addition to the lineup.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
DBZ was so weird to see because they didn't have the retouched sound effects in there. I get why they're not in there for comics that are actually new, but they didn't have time to line up the already done US art with the colored Japanese art?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ok who the gently caress is Kuririn? Seriously! This has to be some weird rear end joke.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's Krillin, right? I don't know, I never actually watched DBZ. :smith:

Edited OP, not sure what else I can add to it. Also, I'm going to crowdsource a new thread title. I'm thinking something like Weekly Shonen Jump - no longer Alpha, now simultaneous except actually clever. Impress me goons.

Now for hilarity. Check out the official WSJ Valentine's Day couples. :v: Also, holy poo poo, that background makes the website hard to read.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

Now for hilarity. Check out the official WSJ Valentine's Day couples. :v: Also, holy poo poo, that background makes the website hard to read.

Most of these pairings are pretty dumb. The whole joke of characters like Kon and Hancock is that their affections will never be requited, and Karin hates Sasuke now. Also, the general overenthusiastic tone of the article makes me cringe.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 19, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I was looking at this simply because I want to read a legit copy of One Punch Man; if I buy a subscription I simply get all the chapters as they come out right? Or is there a way to just grab past chapters for that comic?

I'm way more interested in the fact that they have digital versions of Kimi ni Todoke and NANA for sale. I had no idea!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Autumncomet posted:

That post reminded me of two things:

1. How much Nisekoi sucks. Does anyone really think any of the other girls have a chance with the male lead. (Names are not used as I don't care enough to look them up.)

2. How much I love the scene where Rin got friend-zoned by Shiemi.

Also, Weekly Shonen Jump - With Three Monthly Titles.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

a kitten posted:

I was looking at this simply because I want to read a legit copy of One Punch Man; if I buy a subscription I simply get all the chapters as they come out right? Or is there a way to just grab past chapters for that comic?

I'm way more interested in the fact that they have digital versions of Kimi ni Todoke and NANA for sale. I had no idea!
Presumably when there are enough officially translated chapters in English to sell a volume, the volumes will be available for sale. At the moment, no, the only way to get OPM chapters is as part of a subscription.

And on that note, why doesn't it let me buy back issues? I subscribed from two weeks after the original Alpha release date. :argh: Two issues away from having it all. Unless someone has a link to the appropriate issues and the whole "buy an issue for 99 cents" thing works with backissues as well. (Please?)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This week's Cross Manage is unbearably cute and I cannot stand it.

Also, I somehow managed to unbookmark the Toriko tag, so I read this week's chapter for the first time in SJ. That felt pretty good.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just signed up after being tempted by the promise of simultaneous releases but so far it doesn't appear to be the case; the issue on the site starting from 2/18/13 has the current Naruto chapter at 620 in contrast to the manga sites having Naruto at 621. Also, there is a One Piece chapter this week whereas the site actually says that One Piece is off this week. If there is going to be some time delay in getting chapters up to true simultaneity, that is totally understandable but I'd rather not have more confusing unfulfilled promises.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Fan scanslations actually get the latest Shonen Jump before it hits retailers. The official sale date in Japan is the Monday here when they get posted for America. So we get it as soon as they can legally post it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Teek posted:

Fan scanslations actually get the latest Shonen Jump before it hits retailers. The official sale date in Japan is the Monday here when they get posted for America. So we get it as soon as they can legally post it.

That makes a lot of sense now, thanks for the clarification! I had no idea that they get the issues before they hit the stands.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Teek posted:

The cool thing about this is that I suspect American Jump gets their copy around the same time as the scanners do and are just taking the extra time to make them quality, much like some of the better groups will.

I just want them to get Soul Eater, even if it would be another monthly.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Also, not all of these series will have scanlations come out so quickly. I can't find any Cross Manage scans beyond chapter 5 online (it's currently on chapter 21) and who would scanlate Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal? :v:

I took a gander at the weekly Japanese Jump rankings and I'm honestly not sure how they pick what series to go in WSJ. I mean, some of them like Takama-ga-hara and Cross Manage were/are there because they dropped a series and had to make that up with whatever's coming up next, some are from the monthly mag, and OPM is a webcomic! I'd be surprised if they didn't pick up AssClass eventually, maybe after this arc is over, or maybe they'll let it get ahead and just run it from the beginning like with OPM.

Also, Kiruko, please jump up the rankings soon. :negative:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
The only thing I can tell from checking out the Wikipedia page for series that run/ran in Jump is that the ones that end up picked up for Alpha (still gonna call it that) are the second of the "sets" of debuts when they started. Also, Barrage and Takama-ga-hara came out at the same time as series that are doing really well. Barrage came with PSI Kusuo Saiki, and Takama-ga-hara came with AssClass. However, Cross Manage is doing better than Date-senpai, which was already cancelled. But let's be honest, CM is not gonna last much longer. I wonder what this means for World Trigger and Koisuru Edison.

Speaking of AssClass, it'll probably be like Nisekoi. Both series had incredible starts, although AssClass's is more deserved, and it took a year for Nisekoi to get over here. I'd expect AssClass in a few more months.

I'd like another monthly too, then they could maybe set up a schedule for them where every week there's one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I decided to get a sub to Weekly Jump (when they made the switch from monthly to weekly) since I tend to read manga on my Nexus 7. So far I am really happy with the quality of the issues. The app is easy to use (sometimes it has trouble with updating or loading images but no problems with reading the actual issues).

I like the manga selection they have in serialization but I wish there were more like articles or interviews to fill out the issues. Right now they range in size from 200-ish pages to 300 or so. Each issue has been different lengths. It's still new though and I am sure it'll get better over time! Overall I am happy with the purchase and it makes mondays better!

For those wondering how it looks on a tablet I took a picture of the cover of the most recent issue!

Picture: http://i.imgur.com/5gRTAGq.jpg

• Locked thread