Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kuroyama posted:

I'd like another monthly too, then they could maybe set up a schedule for them where every week there's one.

I really, really want them to get Soul Eater and do an actual readable translation of it. Sadly I think it's already been licensed, though I have no idea if that's still going or not.

How do monthly manga work in Japan? Do they have a set release day every month, or do they just come whenever the artist gets the chapter out? Either way, I could see them juggling four monthlies so there's an issue of one a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
The companies release monthly magazines just like the weekly ones.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kuroyama posted:

The companies release monthly magazines just like the weekly ones.

I get that. I meant the individual chapters. I guess I'm just taking the more random release schedule for most monthlies as indicative of a more random release schedule in Japan, when logically that wouldn't be the case.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Now I get what you mean, and all I can say is that I have no idea why Viz is being silly with the monthly titles.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Well there is no way Jump's going to have Soul Eater since its published by Square Enix and not Shueisha. But it's still being released in English but way behind the current chapters ( around 10 volumes behind I think).

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Subscribers get free DLC for Ultimate Ninja Storm 3.

I imagine we'll be getting the codes in our emails soon, but obviously not everyone will be playing the game! Mountain Lightning offered up his code to Kitty Empress in the Naruto thread; it's more topical in this thread, so I'm offering up my DLC code to whoever first PMs me or posts an email in this thread saying they want it. :)

Edit: Also, in honor of chapter 700 of One Piece, the folks behind the One Piece Podcast and some of the people at Viz who work with the One Piece property got to talk about their favorite moments in the series so far.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 5, 2013

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Viz has updated their site with the page for instructions for the Ninja Storm DLC!

http://shonenjump.viz.com/node/1488

Make sure you ask what system the person has if you plan on giving them away.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Time to revive this thread (for a little bit). I got an e-mail on Friday stating I had won a Viz Weekly Jump Issue Survey sweepstakes and they are sending me a gift bag of some sort. I have no idea what to expect except for random Viz merch but hopefully it'll have some neat stuff.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Lucky! I never win poo poo.

I've been wondering Viz is gonna start trying to shut down the better scanlators anytime soon. Because they could probably get a good number of people to start buying Jump if the only alternative was those manga panda fucks.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

coathat posted:

Lucky! I never win poo poo.

I've been wondering Viz is gonna start trying to shut down the better scanlators anytime soon. Because they could probably get a good number of people to start buying Jump if the only alternative was those manga panda fucks.

It's fighting a losing battle. Mangastream is smart by not keeping all their chapters on their site just some recent ones. I like to think Mangapanda puts out horrible translations sometimes just to try and throw off Viz and keep from getting shut down.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If you subscribe be sure to take the 3/25 Issue Survey this week. There's a spot for "how can we improve the app" and it's a perfect place for everyone to say "release an app so that normal adults can read comics they paid for that happen to have a boob in it on iPad." Right now if you buy "Mature" rated comics you can only read them on your computer in that lovely Flash interface, they're locked out of the app. So tell them "you released a kids-only app, why not one for mature comics."

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Boco_T posted:

If you subscribe be sure to take the 3/25 Issue Survey this week. There's a spot for "how can we improve the app" and it's a perfect place for everyone to say "release an app so that normal adults can read comics they paid for that happen to have a boob in it on iPad." Right now if you buy "Mature" rated comics you can only read them on your computer in that lovely Flash interface, they're locked out of the app. So tell them "you released a kids-only app, why not one for mature comics."

Not possible. Apple would ban the app. This is literally the only reason that this stuff happens with content on iOS devices.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
All Apple apps have to be kid friendly?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There's already Comixology with The Walking Dead and Dark Horse with Kazuo Koike comics like The Color of Rage. There is no reason for them to not let you read Detroit Metal City on your iPad.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Boco_T posted:

There's already Comixology with The Walking Dead and Dark Horse with Kazuo Koike comics like The Color of Rage. There is no reason for them to not let you read Detroit Metal City on your iPad.

Who said they didn't have to be inconsistently and arbitrarily applied? It's a very real thing, but Apple punishes snitches too so :|

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

:woop: Issue numbers :woop:

Isn't there a pop-up for certain apps where you have to verify if you're over 18? Couldn't they just do that?

I don't think we need to reboot this thread since it's been less than a year.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I got my gift bag in the mail today. Had some neat stuff in it. Here is an album with pictures of all the stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/Bowx8

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Lucky! That yearbook is the same as the December one, no?

People with iPads and iPad minis can now access WSJ issues through the newsstand. Appstore link. I don't think there's an iPhone/iPod touch version, or at least, I can't find it. :shrug:

The screenshots it gives looks like a nicer version of the Viz Media app but in the Newsstand, so you can pretend you're reading a sophisticated magazine. :buddy:

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Yeah it's the same one from last year. I am kinda sad there was literally no One Piece merch but considering it's not as popular as Naruto and Bleach here in the States it's not surprising.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I see, the Newsstand app is only for iPads, so you have to use the Viz app for iPhone reading on the go. The Viz iPhone app that STILL doesn't let you rotate the image to view in landscape mode and scroll top to bottom. A feature that every other image viewing app supports.

No, of course, I only want to view my comics in portait mode, either all the way zoomed out so it's unreadable on a phone screen or zoomed where it auto zooms out every time you turn the page so you are constantly zooming and scrolling in all directions the entire time you are reading the comic.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Is anyone else reading Dragonball (Z) for the first time as it's serialized here? I'm surprised at how much teamwork and tactics there is in the fight against Raditz is, given the reputation of the series.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

Is anyone else reading Dragonball (Z) for the first time as it's serialized here? I'm surprised at how much teamwork and tactics there is in the fight against Raditz is, given the reputation of the series.
I'm in the same boat. Saw the anime, never read it, and I'm just as impressed. However, because its been so long since the anime, my clearest DBZ memories are of Team Four Star, so I'm consistently shocked at how serious and not-funny it is.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Silver2195 posted:

The thing that was weird to me at first was how Piccolo's dialogue was written. Regardless though it's awesome to see the manga in full color but I wish they had started from Dragon Ball instead of DBZ.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I finally got around to replacing my tablet after it was burgled from my car last fall, and I celebrated by downloading the Viz Manga app and getting a WSJ subscription and a few volumes of Bakuman/Claymore.

At first I couldn't get the app from the Google Play store. It said it was compatible with my old tablet (Asus TF101) but not my new one (Asus TF201.) I was able to download it fine from the Amazon app store, though, and I haven't noticed any instability. The WSJ subscription seems crazy cheap. $5 is just right for me price-wise for the digital volumes -- any more than that and I'd feel a little guilty about buying One Piece or Naruto, since I read through them so quickly. The presentation is perfect so far. The app is nimble and responsive and the books look 100 percent crisp on the 10-inch tablet screen.

Thread Killer
May 14, 2009
Shonen Jump is having a quiz on Facebook right now for US and Canadians. First 100 people to get 100% on the quiz get a free 6 month subscription to SJ. You can gift it to a friend, so it's a good chance to introduce people that are still on the fence about subscribing. http://shonenjump.viz.com/facebookquiz-rules

On a side note, One Punch-man is consistently my favorite part of the magazine. It's pretty awesome that they're starting from the beginning of the series for everyone like me that hadn't heard of it till now. Although, it's taking most of my will power to read it as Viz releases it, instead of reading the fan translations that are several weeks ahead.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The rules say the email should be sent in two weeks but a comment on the facebook page says they were already sent out? :shrug: If I get it, I'll give it away here.

edit: Also, Blue Exorcist and Toriko questions :qq:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Autumncomet posted:

The rules say the email should be sent in two weeks but a comment on the facebook page says they were already sent out? :shrug: If I get it, I'll give it away here.

edit: Also, Blue Exorcist and Toriko questions :qq:

I took it so many times but I couldn't get all 10. I read Toriko even, but the questions are like 'put these random creatures in order by Capture Level' and it throws me for a loop.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Aww yeah, I just got 100% after about 9 tries overall. CP9, I could email you something that really helped me out if you'd like. Gonna enjoy these six months of free Weekly Jump.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Volfogg posted:

Aww yeah, I just got 100% after about 9 tries overall. CP9, I could email you something that really helped me out if you'd like. Gonna enjoy these six months of free Weekly Jump.

Yeah, absolutely if you could that would be great. :D I haven't tried it again since the first bunch of times, but if its still possible to win I'm game to win more Jump. EDIT: Email removed, message received! Thanks so much! I'm gonna give that a try ASAP, I think it'll help a lot!

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 16, 2013

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Sent some aid your way.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
The Blue Exorcist questions and the random rear end Toriko questions about what the kanji on the bottle of Sake he is drinking during one of the first arcs made me mad as heck. I still managed to 100% it though after like three tries when it was mostly One Piece questions. :v:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Volfogg posted:

Sent some aid your way.

I completely forgot to thank you for this earlier, I managed to get all 10 correct thanks to your help! :)

There was s lot to like im this week's issue. World Trigger's plot was resolved really fast but I'm glad Kuga's secret isn't limited to Osamu anymore, that could have gone on much too long. And Cross Manage continues to be awesome, I love the goalie.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
When are we getting some Cross Manage volumes?! I missed out on the early chapters and it's killing me not to read the current ones. :(
I'm really liking Alpha's quality in terms of translations and adaptation to English. I just wish they got rid of Nisekoi in place of Beelezebub, but it's not a perfect world :sigh:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

We're back from Golden Week and WSJ has launched a weekly podcast. I can't find the RSS feed though. :shrug:

coathat
May 21, 2007

The first volume of cross manage is going on sale tomorrow!

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

coathat posted:

The first volume of cross manage is going on sale tomorrow!

O my god I can't believe how happy I am to hear this! :neckbeard:

Has anyone else only gotten one yugioh card since the new year? I got my first in the mail around a week ago. Feels like I should have gotten more, but I don't even play the game so it's not a big deal. :shrug:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
So, in this week's DBZ, did Piccolo actually blow up the moon or just obscure it with some kind of magical illusion? I'm obviously not expecting accurate astrophysics from this sort of story, but the way they didn't make a big deal about it at all seems weird.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Silver2195 posted:

So, in this week's DBZ, did Piccolo actually blow up the moon or just obscure it with some kind of magical illusion? I'm obviously not expecting accurate astrophysics from this sort of story, but the way they didn't make a big deal about it at all seems weird.

I am almost certain he blew it up because that's how much of a dick Piccolo is.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This week's Cross Manage was good. Can't wait to see what Plan B entails. But most importantly, Toyoguchi is killing me with that face. She's too cute.

Dragonball Z is such a different creature when it's translated instead of dubbed and packed with filler. I'm really enjoying it, though Snake Way feels no shorter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Meanwhile, in lovely Jump series news, Shueisha has registered Nisekoi.jp, and it appears there will be an announcement about Nisekoi in the 27 issue of Jump (June 3 issue). Rumor has it that it's an anime announcement.

Article at Crunchyroll

• Locked thread