Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Happily reading this every Monday. BEAST TO GUN is one of the many things I'm loving about Takama-Ga-Hara.

I'm a huge fan of series with wild and strange powers, so this one was an easy sell for me. I hope the main character's power ends up being more interesting than just 'punch and/or kick hard' but even if it isn't, the rest of the cast will keep me with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh, drat it. I knew the second half of this week's Takama-Ga-Hara felt like it was rushing ahead, but I didn't think it was the second to last chapter. :( It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but I was enjoying it in SJA. At least Cross Manage is still interesting.

Glad to see that SJA will be going simultaneous release soon too. I like reading the official scans along with the scanlations but the week gap between each one made it annoying to compare.

I'm also looking forward to the Toriyama and Otter-11 one shots coming in the Yearbook. I'll definitely be subscribing next year for stuff like that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

King of 100 Guns. Yes.

It may not have lasted long, but I'm happy they gave it a good farewell. That final punch was badass.

I'm fine with Nisekoi not starting from the beginning. That's Alpha's appeal, really. It's like having a part of the real Shonen Jump each week. I've never read the series myself, but I haven't read Exorcist either and I'm enjoying reading it each week regardless.

Now if they'd only add Beelzebub.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

A few weeks into the shift to simultaneous releases, and I'm liking it so far. Like they said, they took the Alpha out of Shonen Jump Alpha, and call it Weekly Shonen Jump. I don't know about you, but I'm still gonna call it Jump Alpha. One complaint I can definitely find right now is with the handling of the monthly titles, Rurouni Kenshin and Blue Exorcist especially. It just seems really random when one of those series will show up.

And now for Jump news. This week, Jump started running a full-color run of Dragon Ball Z. Starting from Radditz's appearance. And next week, they will add World Trigger, a totally new series like Cross Manage.

Weekly Shonen Jump's preview:
Seconding the BE/RK comment, I tend to skim those series' if I read them at all since, if they are running in order, there's no coherency to the plot. Every time they show up in the magazine, it seems like a random chapter rather than the next issue. Maybe that's just me.

Definitely enjoying DBZ though! I'll be glad to actually read through that, and it looks great in color. Also excited for World Trigger! The concept sounds interesting, and if it's half as surprisingly good as Cross Manage (which I am loving), it'll be a great addition to the lineup.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This week's Cross Manage is unbearably cute and I cannot stand it.

Also, I somehow managed to unbookmark the Toriko tag, so I read this week's chapter for the first time in SJ. That felt pretty good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

Is anyone else reading Dragonball (Z) for the first time as it's serialized here? I'm surprised at how much teamwork and tactics there is in the fight against Raditz is, given the reputation of the series.
I'm in the same boat. Saw the anime, never read it, and I'm just as impressed. However, because its been so long since the anime, my clearest DBZ memories are of Team Four Star, so I'm consistently shocked at how serious and not-funny it is.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Autumncomet posted:

The rules say the email should be sent in two weeks but a comment on the facebook page says they were already sent out? :shrug: If I get it, I'll give it away here.

edit: Also, Blue Exorcist and Toriko questions :qq:

I took it so many times but I couldn't get all 10. I read Toriko even, but the questions are like 'put these random creatures in order by Capture Level' and it throws me for a loop.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Volfogg posted:

Aww yeah, I just got 100% after about 9 tries overall. CP9, I could email you something that really helped me out if you'd like. Gonna enjoy these six months of free Weekly Jump.

Yeah, absolutely if you could that would be great. :D I haven't tried it again since the first bunch of times, but if its still possible to win I'm game to win more Jump. EDIT: Email removed, message received! Thanks so much! I'm gonna give that a try ASAP, I think it'll help a lot!

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 16, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Volfogg posted:

Sent some aid your way.

I completely forgot to thank you for this earlier, I managed to get all 10 correct thanks to your help! :)

There was s lot to like im this week's issue. World Trigger's plot was resolved really fast but I'm glad Kuga's secret isn't limited to Osamu anymore, that could have gone on much too long. And Cross Manage continues to be awesome, I love the goalie.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This week's Cross Manage was good. Can't wait to see what Plan B entails. But most importantly, Toyoguchi is killing me with that face. She's too cute.

Dragonball Z is such a different creature when it's translated instead of dubbed and packed with filler. I'm really enjoying it, though Snake Way feels no shorter!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nisekoi is one of the only manga I skip in Jump, but that's for the same reason I skip Blue Exorcist: I haven't gone back and read up to the point where they started, and I can't not read things in order. Cept Zexal, but I also don't care about the plot I just wanna see some card games.

Cross Manage is great again this week. Sakurai is just so cool! Even if Toyoguchi and Co. don't win, they gotta score at least once to justify this awesome effort they're putting in.

World Trigger was also pretty awesome. If I wasn't interested in seeing where the story is going, I'd be sold on reading it just for the potential in its battle system. I love technical based systems like Nen, and this ability to form new powers out of different seals/keywords, whatever they'll end up beng called, is really cool. I want Osamu to be able to make up for the power gap between him and others by Kuga teaching him how to manipulate the seals well or something.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RedBoot posted:

Based on the author comments in this week's issue, it sounds like this one's a limited run from the start (not sure how long though). It's a shame, I'd like to see him go full-on with a normal serialization if only one more time.

Anyway, looks like this coming week's issue will be the last chapter for Cross Manage. :( And apparently the week after that, One Piece will be on break, and Bleach is taking a 6-week break (?). With OP, Bleach, and CM out, it's going to be a bare issue unless they debut a new series.

He mentioned wanting people to enjoy the full 217 pages of it, so it depends on the pages per chapter, but if it drops to ~20 a week, then that'd be what, roughly 10 chapters if the first was around 40?

I'm really sad to hear that news about Cross Manage though. :( I knew about the other breaks but I'd really been enjoying that series and was hoping got at least another game or two before it got canned. At least there's still World Trigger for series' in Jump that I don't read in advance.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

A double post for the final chapter of Cross Manage as it joins Barrage and Takama-Ga-Hara in the pile of series' to end their runs in Jump too soon. I think I'll miss CM even more than Barrage though, it was a short run but the characters grew on me enough to make the ending really sad, though there was some sweet in the bitter what with how happy everyone looked. Can't wait for that bonus chapter, and hopefully we get a new series to fill the slot soon.

For now, we get an old Kishimoto one-shot. I wonder of they'll run through all the one shots that ran around the same time Bench did, if anyone else remembers those. I don't, but I know there were others.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm really enjoying the developments in World Trigger. It's pure Shonen, but it's good Shonen IMO. Can't wait to see what they think of for Osamu's secret potential, hope it doesn't disappoint.

Also, did anyone catch Shimabukuro's (Toriko) author note this week? He ate with the creators of Terraformars. Could you imagine that crossover? A BUGS team crossed with Toriko's animals? Holy poo poo.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I haven't read 666 Satan, but I liked Stealth Symphony for the art and the mishmash fantasy city. Troma's a neat character design too, though I don't think water works that way. Definitely looking forward to seeing what happens next and how many ridiculous A (and inevitable S and SS) heirlooms appear.

EDIT: Oh, definitely enjoying All You Need Is Kill, too. I'm disappointed whenever a chapter ends.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 25, 2014

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm a good like eight weeks behind in my reading so if this is answered in this week's issue I apologize, but are they starting Soma and Cluster from Chapter 1 like they did with Seraph of the End, or picking up where it is in Japan like they did with Nisekoi? I'd definitely like to read both, but given my limited time the former is a lot more convenient, if just for lazies like myself.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Allarion posted:

In any case, the Psyren dude has started a new series, Kagamigami, which at the moment is pretty generic since I could have sworn I read some oneshot with the same exact premise and set-up.

You (probably) did! The one-shot that Kamigami is based on (same author) ran in the English WSJ not too long ago! I forget what it was called. Pretty cool to see the One shot->Full series model play out in real time in out WSJ, actually.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I enjoy the absurdity of Food Wars, but I'm mainly in it it see the ridiculously good cooking over anything else.

Devilyman's definitely interesting, I wonder how long the concept will sustain itself, but the third chapter of Straighten Up was just too drat cute so it's got to get my vote.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I really liked the first chapter of Mononofu this week. The cast was amusing enough, and in sports manga I tend to see "genius" more than "loser with redeeming quality." Although both happen often enough, I do prefer the latter, especially when paired with hard work, and the motivation/mystery of the character/kanji carved into his palm is a nice hook for me.

It also helps that I like the idea of Shogi but know literally nothing about it besides "kinda like chess" and what I just read in the chapter, so I get to learn too. Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MajorMarcus posted:

New issue is up along with chapter 1 of Samon the Summoner and chapter 2 of Mononofu. I really dislike the characters in Samon. The narrator's okay, but the protagonist is just terrible. I could do with a lot more of Mononofu, though.

By Protagonist do you mean Samon or Teshigawara? I assume the former. Samon is indeed a piece of poo poo, but Teshi is an angel. (Joke.) She's not especially deep yet, but she makes some fantastic faces. I agree that Mononofu is the stronger series though and would much rather have it join the magazine permanently. You don't get many shonen manga about adults and it's really engaging.

Speaking of manga about adults, kind of, I also really liked Bakuman Age 13. It made me sympathize with Iwase a little more, I thought she was horrible in the manga proper. Seeing Hiramaru again was great too. But mainly I just appreciated the Eyeshield 21 shout out.

Arc-V is absurd. I lost track of Yu-Gi-Oh! back around the GX phase so synchro summons and pendulum summons all make no sense to me, but now there's cards you can just run over and grab? Are they in either duelist's deck or generated by the field? Why do I care?

• Locked thread