Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Autumncomet posted:

You can now read Viz manga titles on the Kindle Fire. OP updated accordingly.

e: Ooh, and a new "starter pack" if you want to try things out.

Does that include Shonen Jump Alpha? 'Cause if so, that might end up selling me on the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Man, Alpha going simultaneous sells me on it so hard. I'm going to have to try and catch up on Toriko and the rest of whatever's good that I'm not already reading, then find the money for a subscription. I don't mind waiting an extra week to get it legit and at the same time as Japan.

I kinda wish Viz would expand their version of Shonen Jump out too, maybe mix in several monthlies or more weeklies from sources that aren't the Japanese Shonen Jump.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Strange Quark posted:

I'm pretty sure that all their monthly series, like Blue Exorcist, run in Jump Square in Japan. And America doesn't have fifty billion manga magazines like Japan, so it makes more sense to lump everything together under one title with well known enough name recognition than run several slightly differently named publications.

Yeah, this is my assumption. That Viz just bought the rights to publish collections of manga they've got licensed under the name "Shonen Jump" and they aren't strictly tied to things that appear in the Japanese collection of the same name.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Autumncomet posted:

Mind posting some feedback about the ad-based version of the app? Does it just display the ads at the bottom of the page?

It doesn't work on Kindle Fire, which is to say the version of the app on the Fire doesn't have the option for the free issues. But it does work on my phone, and giving it a try it's "ad-supported" in the same way that say, Fandango gives you free movie tickets if you jump through hoops and sign up for other services for them.

Most of the apps it seems to offer for you to download look like they're free, at least, but you have to download and launch them in exchange for a single free issue of Weekly Jump. Not sure if you can use the same app more than once either, so it may be that you can only get a few issues before you're out of luck.

It's kind of sad, because I'd be totally for a version of the app that just displayed ads at the top and bottom of the page.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Autumncomet posted:

drat, that is a shame. I don't have an Android, but I was thinking it would be like the free Funimation app, where there's an ad at the bottom (except when you watch videos, and really with manga you could get away with ads at the top and bottom). Your testimonial (and some other stuff) have been added to the OP.

Yeah, doing it with ads makes a lot more sense then the way it's done. Glad to be of some help, though. Maybe if nobody uses that version they'll give in an do it proper. Or, more likely, scrap the whole thing and keep it a purely pay deal.

RatHat posted:

Due to the nature of where online scans of Shonen Jump series come from, even with Shonen Jump Alpha being simultaneous release it'd be a week behind the online scans right?

As far as I know, yes. From what I understand we actually get the chapters about a week before Japan, so simultaneous release in Shonen Jump Alpha would still be a week behind that. So, say if you wanted to start reading Alpha with this week's One Piece you'd still just be reading the last One Piece released here. I think.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Teek posted:

Fan scanslations actually get the latest Shonen Jump before it hits retailers. The official sale date in Japan is the Monday here when they get posted for America. So we get it as soon as they can legally post it.

The cool thing about this is that I suspect American Jump gets their copy around the same time as the scanners do and are just taking the extra time to make them quality, much like some of the better groups will.

I just want them to get Soul Eater, even if it would be another monthly.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kuroyama posted:

I'd like another monthly too, then they could maybe set up a schedule for them where every week there's one.

I really, really want them to get Soul Eater and do an actual readable translation of it. Sadly I think it's already been licensed, though I have no idea if that's still going or not.

How do monthly manga work in Japan? Do they have a set release day every month, or do they just come whenever the artist gets the chapter out? Either way, I could see them juggling four monthlies so there's an issue of one a week.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kuroyama posted:

The companies release monthly magazines just like the weekly ones.

I get that. I meant the individual chapters. I guess I'm just taking the more random release schedule for most monthlies as indicative of a more random release schedule in Japan, when logically that wouldn't be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Autumncomet posted:

Long time no see thread. Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball, is working on a new series called Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, starting in the July 15 issue. It's about an alien policeman stranded on Earth, so while it's not exactly ground-breaking, it should be fun at least.

Hasn't he started several new series over the years only to pretty quickly abandon them/claim they were just "one"-shots?

• Locked thread