Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The shogun owns. Mizukami's talent for creating characters shines through again. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Do my eyes deceive me? But could that be... a Sengoku Youko chapter? Why yes, yes it is.

holy poo poo this guy owns

Also, relevant Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshiteru_Ashikaga

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"I WANT TO BE A HUMAN"

"You are a human."

"NO I'M A HORRIBLE MONST-"

"Nope, human."

Can we just transplant this guy into every other manga ever just so I can watch him deflate the protagonists' sillier motivations

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I definitely struggle to think of a better final battle than Hoshi no Samidare's. It really hits all of the right notes.

One of the few things I can think of that comes close is from the end of Katanagatari:

Huge Katanagatari spoilers. Seriously, if you haven't watched it don't read this and go watch it instead.
Shichika's vengeance fueled rampage against the shogun when he no longer has to obey Togame's rules about protecting the swords, protecting her, or protecting himself hits a lot of the same emotional notes for me.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

"I WANT TO BE A HUMAN"

"You are a human."

"NO I'M A HORRIBLE MONST-"

"Nope, human."

Can we just transplant this guy into every other manga ever just so I can watch him deflate the protagonists' sillier motivations

Even then I'd have prefered if he'd just said it's a silly disctinction to draw since its your actions which prove your worth or lack thereof. Especially in a series which features some pretty drat horrid humans and some hugely sympathetic monsters. But yeah, it wouldn't have worked as nicely at breaking through the angst in that situation.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Chapter 6 of Spirit Circle:

DDL/Read Online
I was about six pages in when a kind stranger sent me bigger and better raws, so things are a little messy but I decided to push this out as-is after sitting on it so long. I'll go back and fix stuff up soon.

TL sperging:
Fuuta's buddy Tetsu is written with kanji for "iron," whereas Stihl is literally Steel in the original. Decided no loving way I'm committing that to page, but Glass passes my standards. Go figure! If you didn't spot him, Cielo is also Mr. Azuma, Fuuta's teacher, Azuma being spelled as "My/Our+Wife". Hence, Cielo does the chores :v:

Story stuff: The whole windup about how much he hates these guys leading to the thank-you.. what a gut punch.:swoon:
Hoping he gets to find some retribution raising the kid, and REALLY hoping he gets to go down in a blaze of glory ruining the day of whoever comes after it.

Edit: vvv yup, they are. Take a look at the shot of them on the bench outside and compare it to the one from chapter 4. Stihl's name has an obvious connection, too, but I couldn't puzzle out Glass.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 16, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Christ, that was grim. The drinking adventures of Van and crew were so much fun, then gut punch out of nowhere.

Stihl and Glass are supposed to resemble Fuuta's two friends, right?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Haha, you weren't kidding:
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/134245/spirit-circle_v1_ch4_by_duralumin/18
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/141689/spirit-circle_v1_ch6_by_duralumin/20

I wonder how deep this reincarnation rabbit hole goes. Anyway, I got a kind of Seventh Seal black humor sort of feel to this chapter.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chapter 44 of Sengoku Youko.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/142431/sengoku-youko_v8_ch44_by_vexed-scans/1

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Oh no!! Tsukiko got abducted AGAIN! And it stuck this time. Geez. What could they want with her, I wonder? Maybe it has something to do with her skills or her special affinity towards spirits?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Man, dragons are assholes

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm guessing that overcoming his monsters' fear of dragons now will come in handy for the inevitable stand-off with dad.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Looks like it's time for Sengoku Youko chapter 45

Senya is pisssed.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 10, 2012

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

loving poo poo, Yoshiteru. You were the best dad too :smith:

Senya handled that "bombshell revelation" about himself and Shinsuke pretty well, at least for right now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sadly a foregone conclusion if they were attempting to base SY on some historical events. Still, maybe he'll fake his death and continue onwards?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Spirit Circle chapter 7: DDL/Read Online

I was pretty happy with the characters and the writing being pretty smart in this so far but they're really playing up the NOT ACTUALLY A WITCH thing as a big shocker. Vann was convinced she was the real deal up to the end and I can buy that, but even Fuuta seems a put off balance by the twist.

I can honestly say I didn't expect Vann to go so peacefully, though.

Satoshi Mizukami General Thread: Dad Appreciation Station

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 19, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Still waiting on what's going to happen to fully justify Kouko's hate. Right now, their history seems to pretty much be a series of them screwing each other over. At the least, there's no real reason yet for Kouko to view herself as the real victim in this whole mess.

I mean, there's the revelation at the end of this chapter but that can't be it, can it?

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
So I opened this thread absentmindedly and sort of skimmed through most of the pictures. Eh, it seemed nice enough, but nondistinct.

...then I got to the comments and it hit me that this is the Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer guy. I don't know what to add to what was already said other than that the Crow Knight is awesome.

So, uh, how does the rest of his work match up to it? Because if it is anywhere near as good then I have some reading to do.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I was pretty happy with the characters and the writing being pretty smart in this so far but they're really playing up the NOT ACTUALLY A WITCH thing as a big shocker. Vann was convinced she was the real deal up to the end and I can buy that, but even Fuuta seems a put off balance by the twist.
I don't think it was really meant to be a twist (since it was pretty obvious), just that Fuuta's recollection of the whole Vann saga was a bit vague so he was confused by her line. Actually Kouko will probably be pretty irritated since Vann by pretty much any account led a modestly happy life.

advokat posted:

So, uh, how does the rest of his work match up to it? Because if it is anywhere near as good then I have some reading to do.
Sengoku Youko and Spirit Circle are both very good. I mean Biscuit Hammer will likely be remembered as his best work but that's more of a testament to its quality than the inferiority of the rest.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

Still waiting on what's going to happen to fully justify Kouko's hate. Right now, their history seems to pretty much be a series of them screwing each other over. At the least, there's no real reason yet for Kouko to view herself as the real victim in this whole mess.

I mean, there's the revelation at the end of this chapter but that can't be it, can it?

I think that kind of stuff is all that it's going to be for the most part. Each of them meeting and only being aware of part of what caused hurt and heartbreak to the other. I think I'd be annoyed if there was a clear right and wrong in this story.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I can honestly say I didn't expect Vann to go so peacefully, though.

It isn't really a twist though. Personally I interpreted the last panel as Fuuta going "WTF?" since he can't remember the dream. He can't recall her be she witch or medicine woman.

In any case to me the witch thing is very much supposed to be a analog to the first situation where Fuuta is now the one who killed due to the social and authority structures around him. Societally he was no more wrong to kill that witch than Kouko's past self was wrong to sacrifice the love of Fone's life.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
...welp, read Spirit Circle. The art is... simple, seems simpler than the Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer unless I'm misremembering it, but goddammit, that character writing. I kind of synched up with Fuuta by the end. :cry:

Mizukami's two strengths seem to be coming up with great, memorable minor characters and gut punches.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

advokat posted:

...welp, read Spirit Circle. The art is... simple, seems simpler than the Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer unless I'm misremembering it, but goddammit, that character writing. I kind of synched up with Fuuta by the end. :cry:

Mizukami's two strengths seem to be coming up with great, memorable minor characters and gut punches.
Yeah, the art hasn't really needed to be super detailed yet. I have faith in it though and regardless, the story has been something else so far. If you want to see Mizukami's art really shine, check out his other currently-running manga, Sengoku Youko.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Munin posted:

It isn't really a twist though. Personally I interpreted the last panel as Fuuta going "WTF?" since he can't remember the dream. He can't recall her be she witch or medicine woman.

In any case to me the witch thing is very much supposed to be a analog to the first situation where Fuuta is now the one who killed due to the social and authority structures around him. Societally he was no more wrong to kill that witch than Kouko's past self was wrong to sacrifice the love of Fone's life.

I had a different read on it, whether or not it came across. I'm 99% certain Fuuta lies to Rune when he said he didn't remember the dream. He didn't have much trouble recalling Fone's life, after all. I think he just didn't want to bring it up to her.
I'm interested to find out how much about the whole reincarnation business she actually knows about (assuming East has the benefit of Kouko sharing her info).. For instance, why pick that specific song and dress to goof around in just before Fuuta was sent back to Vann's life?

I wonder if we're starting to see kind of a generational approach to character development between each life, alongside the obvious parallels.. Fone starts off driven by a need to protect Rei, the general sentiment of which Vann inherits. He also ends up with a healthy dose of regrets and tortured emotions (both Fone's desire for revenge on Priestess Kouko as well as his own frustration at having his dream job taken away), but has the good fortune to continue his life beyond that crossroads and grow as a person. I hope we'll continue to see what mistakes each life made that correct themselves in the next, until we arrive at Fuuta, which explains why he's such a nice guy! It also sets us up nicely for poo poo to get real since Fortuna would really have to be a fucker to land seven lifetimes of bad karma :v:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I had a different read on it, whether or not it came across. I'm 99% certain Fuuta lies to Rune when he said he didn't remember the dream. He didn't have much trouble recalling Fone's life, after all. I think he just didn't want to bring it up to her.

The "The who..?" stinger at the end makes me think otherwise. We'll probably know by the next one anyway.

What I think is the bigger mystery right now isn't the surface antagonism between the two but how their deep bond initially got established. What they've made pretty clear is that Kouko feels betrayed. All their interactions in previous lives have been shallow so far. At some point they must have struck up a deep friendship of some sort and the only possible glimpses we've seen of that is them and the two spirits walking together through a pastoral landscape etc.

I'm very curious what betrayal or perceived betrayal happened at the end of that idyll. I'm pretty sure something like a betrayal happened then rather than the pretty straightforward conflict we've seen so far.

Munin fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 20, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Munin posted:

The "The who..?" stinger at the end makes me think otherwise. We'll probably know by the next one anyway.

Welllll that was my fault then. (tl stuff:)There's nothing specific about the last line, it's an "e" in Japanese; the animu equivalent of "DUU-UUUH???" You may know it from other manga as "huh?" It's a very specific sort of utterance that just plain doesn't translate well so I go ahead and butcher them whenever I see them. I read the intent of the line as "she was a what" or maybe "what medicine woman", so I tried to render that in as few words as possible. Guess it didn't work v:shobon:v

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
In any case he clearly remembered the song and dress, so he can't have actually forgotten everything we read.

I'm wondering if we'll see those two knights from the start of Vann's story in another incarnation. Also, whether Vann not seeing any spirits is relevant.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Anyway, it would be a "twist" for him because Vann never found out that she wasn't a witch, therefore Fuuta wouldn't know either. However the audience of course already knew the truth, so I don't think Mizukami is playing it up as a shocking revelation so much as a something to Kouko can deliver as another blow to Fuuta.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

advokat posted:

In any case he clearly remembered the song and dress, so he can't have actually forgotten everything we read.

[e]And gah, I missed that bit. I thought that you referred to him recalling it earlier.

Munin fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 20, 2012

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Recently a couple of chapters of Angel Consultation Service have begun to appear. It's quite an enjoyable, lighthearted manga about a slightly shabby middle-aged angel who listens to peoples' problems and helps them.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Nate RFB posted:

Actually Kouko will probably be pretty irritated since Vann by pretty much any account led a modestly happy life.

Yup :v:
Spirit Circle 8: Read Online/DDL

So obviously Kouko's still got enough vitriol to go around, but I think she's starting to direct it towards Fuuta personally less. Even if she's not concious of the fact, she's seeing just how hard he takes some of these more unpleasant revelations. I wonder if she's that much more hardened because she's unlocked more memories, or if he's just a nice guy :v:
I'm hoping we get a chapter that focuses on Rune and East. I think they must know more than they let on, and it'll probably give us some hints on what Fortuna got up to. Barring that, I'll take Finn the plucky and intrepid 1920's big city newspaper reporter, please oh please oh please

As far as the reincarnation business goes, I keep an eye out in new chapters for that specifically, and I've come to the conclusion that if Mizukami bothered to draw their whole face (eyeballs get left off a lot of the crowd), they'll probably be back. There's the easy ones that get spelled out for you again in this chapter, but I think I've spotted a few more. Have fun guessing HOOHOOHOO

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Mizukami finished Biscuit Hammer and thought to himself, "Man, that was a well-knit group. Let's go in the complete opposite direction next time!"

I mean, god drat :stare:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

What a good and also heartbreaking chapter. :gbsmith:

Volume 3 of Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer finally got released last week too. This is my third reread of it and I think I love it more with every trip through.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

So obviously Kouko's still got enough vitriol to go around, but I think she's starting to direct it towards Fuuta personally less. Even if she's not concious of the fact, she's seeing just how hard he takes some of these more unpleasant revelations. I wonder if she's that much more hardened because she's unlocked more memories, or if he's just a nice guy :v:
I'm hoping we get a chapter that focuses on Rune and East. I think they must know more than they let on, and it'll probably give us some hints on what Fortuna got up to. Barring that, I'll take Finn the plucky and intrepid 1920's big city newspaper reporter, please oh please oh please

As far as the reincarnation business goes, I keep an eye out in new chapters for that specifically, and I've come to the conclusion that if Mizukami bothered to draw their whole face (eyeballs get left off a lot of the crowd), they'll probably be back. There's the easy ones that get spelled out for you again in this chapter, but I think I've spotted a few more. Have fun guessing HOOHOOHOO

They way it has been played so far his past lives have been more the personal idealist who ended up getting shafted and who's actions have not always helped the greater good whilst Kouko seems to have had a more well rounded appreciation of the greater context and the greater good but also rather less bothered about the "small sacrifices" that had to be made along the way...

I have to say the balance between the two has been well handled so far. The conflict between personal and communal good is another long standing and tense stand-off. Good themes to play off.

And it's pretty drat clear now that I had misread stuff at the end of the last chapter... He obviously remembers his dream pretty drat well.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Chapter 46 of Sengoku Youko.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Seems like Yoshiteru is basically The Master from Biscuit Hammer.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I like the change in the eyes towards the end of that one. The art is always quite sketchy but there is a good bit of expression there.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Well this thread made me marathon the entirety of biscuit hammer. In one sitting.

I think I need to sleep now. It's 8 am I haven't slept oh god why

Good series though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sengoku Youko 47

Gonna be sad to see the Brogun die :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Sengoku Youko 47

Gonna be sad to see the Brogun die :(

You know, at first I wasn't really sold on Senya. The whole "human weapon, brooding with the DARKNESS DEMONS INSIDE OF ME" thing has been really really over done. But he's really grown on me; trust Mizukami to spin that tired old line in a way that's fresh and exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

You know, at first I wasn't really sold on Senya. The whole "human weapon, brooding with the DARKNESS DEMONS INSIDE OF ME" thing has been really really over done. But he's really grown on me; trust Mizukami to spin that tired old line in a way that's fresh and exciting!

He was working its way up to it from the start by writing all the side characters to truly and sincerely not give a poo poo about Senya's nature. Who cares if he's a monstrous weapon made from the flesh of a thousand abominations, he's still a drat twelve-year old.

The villagers who were attacked by the Earth God being more torn up at Senya's emotional distress than his bloody failure just gets you right here.