Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think this counts. So, I follow Mizukami's Pixiv gallery and he recently uploaded a short mini-comic he drew.

Epoxy Bulletin, would you mind translating? Pretty please? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I debated doing this one but didn't think anyone would actually want to see it! I'm away from the computer and can whip up a proper script later but the gist of it is they are just gossiping about the tortoise and the hare having a race. A little bizarre since they chat amiably without acknowledging any of the action between them (also karate kick out of nowhere). I think Mizukami said its from a failed pitch for a series.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 21, 2013

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
^I'm still going to come back to this one since you asked nicely, but for now here's Spirit Circle 14: Read Online / DDL

Motion to enter goondad into anime dad hall of fame

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
drat, Mizukami keeps finding ways to twist the knife in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ha, poor Fuuta is losing his mind. Looks like the endgame will wind up being some kind of personality battle royale. I wonder if this was Koko's true plan all along or it's an unknown element altogether.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I wouldn't mind the story going all Killer7. Fuuta wasting his former lives in some sort of mind hotel. :unsmigghh: Don't recognize the lady that Kouko briefly turned into, though.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Level Slide posted:

Don't recognize the lady that Kouko briefly turned into, though.

That would be the "witch" that Vann iced, under pretty similar circumstances to Alvol and company, it turns out.
Think it's tough keeping track now? Four more to go! :buddy:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I have a kind of silly question about The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. Well, specifically it's a question about its page on the ADTRWiki. That has the ages of Samidare and Yuuhi listed as 14 and 20 respectively, but I don't think that's right is it? She either starts out 15 and turns 16 over the course of the series, or starts 16 then turns 17. And Yuuhi is only in his first year of college making him 18 or 19 unless I'm wildly misremembering things.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 6, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sami turns 16 during the series for sure, so that's wrong. I also seem to remember there being a 2 year age difference between her and Yuuhi, though obviously I don't know the chapter for sure at the moment.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yuuhi is 18, Sami turns 16 early in the story. I distinctly remember that from the last time I read it, because I noticed it was different then what the wiki said.

I would have changed it, but I hadn't joined the wiki yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
First impressions from Biscuit Hammer: this guy really sucks at drawing dogs. They just look so loving bad compared to everything else in-frame.

Look at the upper left panel. Look at dat fukkin' dog.

Garbage.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Luckily you don't have to deal with it for very long. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cantaloupe posted:

Luckily you don't have to deal with it for very long. :v:

Indeed. :v:

I choose to believe this happened because he knows he sucks at drawing dogs

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

First impressions from Biscuit Hammer: this guy really sucks at drawing dogs. They just look so loving bad compared to everything else in-frame.

Look at the upper left panel. Look at dat fukkin' dog.

Garbage.

Wait, you've never read LBH? Oh man, if not then you're in for a real treat! The story gets amazingly epic later on, and has one of the most fulfilling manga endings I've ever read.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DrSunshine posted:

The story gets amazingly epic later on, and has one of the most fulfilling manga endings I've ever read.

As much as this is true my favorite thing about LBH has always been how well Mizukami managed to capture the more mundane aspects of the story, like how the main cast chilled out and drank beers regularly and became such good friends. It's one of my favorite manga for that reason alone and it's part of why I don't think I like his other stuff as much as I do Biscuit Hammer, because that down-to-Earth element it gave the story isn't as well done in any of them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

He's worse at horses! But I don't even care, I love him anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm actually finding the mundane aspects really top notch and the fighting so boring it makes me want to stop reading. I just finished chapter 20.

Is there going to be more crap fighting taking up the majority of it? I found the first dozen chapters or so great, funny, the characters are fun to see interact, the banter is pretty natural and amusing, the struggles of Yuuhi are rough etc, but I just hate almost everything about the fighting in this. I'm sure there'll be another great reveal that will make the fighting worth enduring for or justify it but I just find myself scrolling through any of the fight stuff, and when I start doing that in a manga, that's when I feel like I'm not giving the series proper due and should stop reading it altogether. And I know the fight scenes have subtext, but that doesn't really make them any more enjoyable to me.

Maybe I'm just sick of fight scenes in manga. That's probably why I started to read a bunch of shoujo and romance stuff a few weeks ago.

Edit: alright, the first few pages of 21 are preeeeetty great.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 6, 2013

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Why not just put it on your reading list and go look at other stuff for a while? That's the best way to tell whether this is a passing mood or a more lasting preference. Maybe read Spirit Circle in the mean time, considering it's also by Mizukami and has no combat whatsoever.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Either the combat gets better or you're just not in the mood for it right now, because The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer has some pretty great fights. At least that's how I remember it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not really one to read multiple things at once, sorry. I tend to mix up characters subconsciously when I do that, especially if they're by the same author(this happened real bad with Aoi Hana and Wandering Son) due to really awful memory.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's been a while since I read the beginning obviously, but the last few fights in Biscuit Hammer are amaaaaaazing. The last two volumes especially kick rear end, though that might just be something that goes hand in hand with the great endgame in general.

Anyway it should start picking up pretty soon because I can't remember any fight after the Crow Knight gets involved being bad.

E: Ah man you're not even at Anima yet! That's one character I desperately miss having in Spirit Circle (Sengoku Youko at least had the Mountain God).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 6, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Crow Knight? I don't like that guy, in an X-Pac Heat(I hate that term) sort of way. That was what I was talking about when I said the fights were boring, the ones with him in them up to chapter 20 and such. At any rate, it's gotten a lot better since then. I guess I just feel like I now understand that dude in the Attack on Titan thread who was set up with impossible expectations from people recommending it and was not completely blown away.

Also, and this might sound weird, but why are a bunch of the translations for this lacking punctuation at the end of sentences? A lot of stuff people say don't have punctuation at the end of it, and, well, I'm sure you've read plenty of forum posts that end like this

and then say something else, but then also end without a period or such

And it kinda fucks up the reading of the line in my head. Like, instead of the person saying a declarative statement, in my head they just sorta trail off if it's not finished with a period or other punctuation and loses some of the impact of what they're saying. This isn't necessarily specifically about Biscuit Hammer, but a lot of scanlations do it too, why is that? Just lazy?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Crow Knight becomes a lot more tolerable as the story goes on because he becomes less of an rear end in a top hat and more of a friend who just happens to want/like to fight a lot.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

tsob posted:

Crow Knight becomes a lot more tolerable as the story goes on because he becomes less of an rear end in a top hat and more of a friend who just happens to want/like to fight a lot.

I think that's the thing I liked the most, everyone that's being an rear end in a top hat(including the protagonist)comes around in a really believable way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One thing I've found is that my enjoyment of a series can also be affected by what I listen to as I read it. When I read Ai-Ren, I was listening to most of the Aquaria soundtrack, which made it particularly engrossing and emotional(and devastating) to read. When I was reading the first bits of Biscuit Hammer I had some fairly generic stuff on(I like to go through soundtracks I've downloaded and pick out stuff I like by listening to it while I read) and so I threw that out, popped on some Final Fantasy VI - Balance and Ruin remixes, and it fits with this series much more, letting me "get into it" a lot easier. For example, Gobble, Snarf, Snap came on when I began reading chapter 24 and somehow I felt it fit it well and made the chapter more enjoyable.

It's like condiments in Earthbound making health-restoring items more or less powerful based on how well they fit the food, if I had to make a comparison. :v:

Anyways, I'm done with my chores and the yardwork for today now, so I'll probably wind up just finishing this series tonight or tomorrow. It's definitely picked up since chapter 20. Thanks for the recommendation, maybe not the Best Series Ever(yet) but definitely above-average and enjoyable.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 7, 2013

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If you're having trouble with LBH, which i can understand, maybe just skip it and go to his newest and current work - Spirit Circle.

I didn't really get into Sengoku Youko and Biscuit Hammer, since his pairings of the mundane, bizarre and humorous seems novel and interesting, but always kind of janky in its composition - badly balanced. I read through some of his earlier, shorter works, which had even more problems (jeez, is the fanservice out of place) but are short enough to finish them before they get overbearing. You could always see that glint of greatness, but it was always bogged down by various things.

With Spirit Circle, he finally seems to get everything just right. There's that comic-like comedic lightness, emphasized by his drawing style, paired with just the right amount of personal touch and behavioral oddities that makes each of these archetypal character caricatures feel like a person. I really recommend it, even though it's still ongoing for now.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
If you are listening to music while reading LBH it clearly needs to be The Pillows

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah, I took a break from reading it instead and have started up again a little while ago. I get a very...hmmm...like a Gurren Lagann vibe and a Zatch Bell vibe from it. Zatch Bell in the aesthetic of the whole thing and the wacky banter between the erstwhile animal-human pairings, old man paired with a horse, the artstyle in general a bit(though maybe without so many two-page spreads of absurd ultimate attacks), and how the whole thing's basically one big game, though that's certainly not a unique gimmick. And Gurren Lagann not in any mecha way(though there's a nice reference at one point) but in the way that it starts off slow and just ramps up and up and up as it goes.

I was ready to drop it around the late -teen chapters if it hadn't picked up shortly after. I'm glad I didn't, because I'm sold on it and just finished chapter 47. Good stuff. Still dunno if I'd say it's top shelf stuff but it's certainly very solid and most of the characters have significant progression over the course of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Good poo poo. Good poo poo. I was going to save the last 10 chapters for tomorrow but figured eh, why not, and plowed through'em tonight instead. Really just a super solid series, still great right up to the end, and the final chapter(and bonus chapter) were both outstanding. Top-notch ending. I still don't think the series was perfect, and there were some niggling little things such as janky art at times and perhaps one of the most impractical getups ever, it was really good after the first 20 or so chapters.

I feel like it suffered from gravitas syndrome, where it became too serious for its own good when one of its strongest points was comedy and goofiness early on. Granted, there was obvious reason for it, but considering how solid the humor is in it, that it started to disappear for long spans became really noticeable. The fights definitely became better, the 11th golem in particular(every series with mindless automatons has to have the one intelligent one that questions its own existence, right?) that things like the 10th one lasting throughout a ton of chapters being unconventional was good stuff, the character growth for most everyone was also great, though some characters didn't get nearly as much development as others.

I give it a 4 out of 5, if I had to attribute a score to it.

Also, I still kept having Zatch Bell pop into my head while I read it, especially when the 12 golem showed up. Reminded me how fun(and bonkers) that series was.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, I still kept having Zatch Bell pop into my head while I read it, especially when the 12 golem showed up. Reminded me how fun(and bonkers) that series was.

Unlike Zatch Bell though, the last arc of Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer still had some fun things about it. Maybe that's just me.

When the main group of demon kids start to get their books burned :cry:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Why study, when all you need is Spirit Circle 15: Read Online / DDL

We also have today, from the acclaimed creator of lovely Dog Comix: lovely Bear and lovely Fox

Apparently, Mizukami was inspired by another (kid-centric, it appears) magazine's "How To Draw Manga!" episode. The script was provided, with the idea that you draw your own layout and pictures. You can see a few of the entries if you page through this. I kind of doubt this is what they had in mind :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That was a fantastic Spirit Circle chapter,thank you. Possibly my favorite chapter of it so far, and all those color pages! :swoon:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Agreed, some great character moments in this one. Looks like things (predictably) are not going to end up as black and white as you'd expect from the early chapters.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Two lives left after this one, right? I'm guessing the sixth will be in the future, and the seventh will be Fortuna's story.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Sounds like we're not getting another chapter for ages though :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I can in no way whatsoever verify this is accurate, but deciding to read through some of the comments on Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer on batoto yielded this:

quote:

And now we know why there's been no Hoshi no Samidare/The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer anime.

From the new Newtype, an interview with Mizukami Satoshi (Mangaka of Hoshi no Samidare), translated by me. Not the whole article, just the important part.

>NT: Have you been approached about an anime for Hoshi no Samidare?
>MS: Yes. I talked with Gainax about it, but there were problems.
>NT: What kind of problems?
>MS: Well, I wanted The Pillows to do the soundtrack.
>NT: I think that was obvious!
>MS: Yes, of course. Gainax was interested and wanted The Pillows to do the soundtrack. We talked to the band and they were interested too.
>NT: What happened then?
>MS: Well it seems like the whole thing should be good to go, right?
>NT: Right.
>MS: But the labels for The Pillows music did not want to give up the licensing rights. The current label, Avex Trax wouldn't budge and King Records, their previous label, wouldn't either.
>NT: Why not just make new music or not use The Pillows?
>MS: Well... there is the next problem. We fought about it for several months trying to get them on board, and then...
>NT: And then?
>MS: The offer was off the table. Funding went to something else and the offer for a Hoshi no Samidare anime was removed.
>NT: Where did the funding go?
>MS: I think to Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.
>NT: And you haven't had any other anime offers since.
>MS: Nope.

It does really bum me out that there is no animated version of any of his projects, and there is no longer any of his work with real English releases since jmanga fizzled out. :(

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The fact that a Lucifer and Biscuit anime by Gainax (back when they we're still good, based on the P&S comment) with a soundtrack by the Pillows came that close to existing, then fell through, is heartbreaking.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

I'm pretty sure that interview is entirely made up, though! At least, everything seems to lead back to 4chan.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, I wouldn't believe it without a link or scans to the original Japanese or something. It's just too perfectly calculated to cause despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sindai posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't believe it without a link or scans to the original Japanese or something. It's just too perfectly calculated to cause despair.

Now that you mention it, you're right. I'm a pretty gullible guy, I'm not surprised they fooled me at least :v:

Also that was a really good Spirit Circle chapter, thanks for your hard work translating it Epoxy.