Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sindai posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't believe it without a link or scans to the original Japanese or something. It's just too perfectly calculated to cause despair.

It really is isn't it? That's why I tried to qualify it as much as I could, but it still made me wonder if it might be true.

And it doesn't change the fact that I want to see L&BH animated; someone get on that! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is there something I'm forgetting from "Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer" that "The Pillows" would be the only real band possible to do it's soundtrack? Then again, I never really cared for them one way or the other.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

tsob posted:

Is there something I'm forgetting from "Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer" that "The Pillows" would be the only real band possible to do it's soundtrack? Then again, I never really cared for them one way or the other.

Partly just because they did the soundtrack for FLCL so they seem like they'd be a good fit, but much more so because they have a song called "Blues Drive Monster" that lent is name to something in the manga.

That song rules, by the way, and is the perfect soundtrack for the final battle.

VVVV E: whoops that one too! VVVVVV

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 21, 2013

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

tsob posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueDvKMuoJvs

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter of Sengoku Youku: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sengoku-Youko/Vol-010-Ch-054--Genki-Era-Year-004?id=173596

Lightning sword, eh? Pretty cool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
But then, what is Shinsuke going to wield? :(

E: vvv It's true, Senya and his demons have the best relationship in the whole comic.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 28, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

But then, what is Shinsuke going to wield? :(

He'll just wield Tsukiko.

Who knew that her and Senya would end up being more adorable as they got older? And more badass, but that's less of a surprise really. I loved Senya's demons giving him grief since they still haven't become a couple, and it makes me wonder what's up with that since they've been crushing on each other from the get-go.

It makes me happy to see Tama every time she shows up, and I wonder if Jinka is really in that...whatever it is that she's shouting at.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If his demons are anything to go by then the reason is probably that Senya just doesn't view himself as a man yet, just a bigger boy - so he thinks he's not worthy of her or feels he still has to do something before he can go for it with her.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Spirit Circle Chat~

Man. Spirit Circle starts off so much more ridiculously strong than Biscuit Hammer, it's crazy. Though I guess being able to whip up little mini-stories every few chapters that you can just pluck the highlights from helps but it's REALLY getting intriguing with the latest few chapters and shows how much he's grown as a writer. I really enjoyed the Vann chapters and the resulting conversation, too. Really great stuff, definitely on my list!

I'm guessing that maybe each of the different memories will represent a sin, I'm betting Fortuna's pride, Flors is sloth or possibly envy, Vann is gluttony, Fone is wrath, etc., but just as easily this could have nothing to do with the memories. I'm gonna read the thread now that I've caught up.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 31, 2013

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I've just posted four new chapters of Sanjin Sadou, picking up where the previous group left off and rounding out volume one. I believe this is Mizukami's first serialized work, dating from 2002-03ish, and frankly? I'd saw it shows. While the dialogue and character writing still has some of what we like about Mizukami manga these days, the action composition, plot, and scenario and such are pretty cliche so far!

But then again on the other hand Add that page to the op thanks

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh my god,that's the best. :allears:

A couple random pieces of Biscuit Hammer fanart I found as I was debating posting a recommendation for it in the BSS "hey check out these manga" thread:

Click for giganto-versions.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

God I wish Trigger would get the opportunity to make a Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer anime. :negative:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I think Trigger only does original stuff, so they should rope Mizukami into writing for them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's been a while, but finally here's some Mizukami: Sengoku Youko 55

Ha, poor Taizan still being bullied by the Mountain God in his nightmares. Also loved Senya and Nau's :hfive:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Ahh, I just checked yesterday to see if there was a new chapter! Good to have one after so long. :)

Senya has such cool powers! I can't wait to see what other super moves he's come up with by now. :krad:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Mizukami's art?

It's not super complex or anything, but I just love it to bits.

Also, "So cool..." and "It'll be fine" are two lines that perfectly capture the mood of most of his stories.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It is important that you click this link. https://vine.co/v/hTeWj9EZYra

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
:getin: gently caress yessssss

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've never heard of that publisher before; I'm assuming they're considered decent enough?

E: vvv Agreed.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 12, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Don't even care. So long as the paper doesn't dissolve on skin contact and it isn't written in jinglish or something I'm fine with any chance I can get to own Biscuit Hammer for myself.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Holy poo poo, I'm freaking the gently caress out. :supaburn:

I only own one other thing they did, but Seven Seas did a good job with Girl Friends, combined 6 Japanese volumes into 2 oversized US ones, solid translation too.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

This is the second greatest possible Biscuit Hammer news ever. They better produce some mad swag/special editions.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Not being sure how Vine works, is there any chance that we're being trolled here?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ProfessorProf posted:

Not being sure how Vine works, is there any chance that we're being trolled here?

Cant say for sure till there's an official announcement, but that vine came right off of Seven Sea's twitter.

e:
ANN is running with it too
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-11-11/seven-seas-adds-the-lucifer-and-biscuit-hammer-manga

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 12, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
It was linked directly from Seven Seas's Twitter. I'd say it's legitimate.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Another splendid Sengoku Youko Chapter! Second in brilliance only to Lord Taizan. Hah Hah Hah!

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Nate RFB posted:

The impression I got was that it was always true nature/personality (sort of), but he would have had no way to actually act out his nihilism because just because one has an awful personality doesn't mean he/she will go out and hurt people. But then he gets his powers and a "cause" that he can actually get behind, so he agrees immediately. For me at least, this dynamic of having "bad" characters as the leads and deceiving everyone else is the main initial hook for the story and makes it more unique for it. I don't think it's Mizukami trying to make them look cool so much as to surprise the viewers (and other characters) that these are our so-called heroes.

But that said, the whole bloody thing is about character development so you should definitely see how it all plays out before you judge them entirely. It's certainly not a long story so it won't take you too long. By the way, don't feel afraid of posting about this stuff in the Satoshi Mizukami Thread either.

"Bad" is a good way to put it because at no point thus far do any of these characters show even an ounce of actually being who the author says they are. They are incredibly pretentious in that regard because it's all for show. That said, I will stop posting about this now until I read some more. Thanks for linking me here btw. His other works look pretty interesting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Seven Seas Entertainment's previous licenses seem err... kinda all awful. So well... Good luck I guess.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=5286

Edit: I have no idea how Samidare ended up in a seinen thread. It's a shonen series through and through, and needs to be seen in this context. Bokurano it is not. It's almost archetypical in how ultimately everything comes down to addressing teenage/young adult issues. I don't know what I want to do with my life! I have trouble feeling empathy towards others! Why do I feel so inadequate? How do I cope with loss? What if I have a friend who does bad things? How do I find true creativity? Etc etc etc

Edit2: Anyway, if you have difficulty reconciling the way the characters act to the way they profess to be, then you need to read more carefully and interpret the characters in a different way. This tension is very much deliberate.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 18, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Samidare is seinen because it was published in a seinen magazine (see the discussion on page 1). Yes I am well aware it is more shounen-like than say Berserk but imagine having to debate every series as being "real" seinen or shounen every time.

Anyway it's been a good month for Mizukami because here is Spirit Circle 16! To sum up the chapter: :):respek::ninja:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 18, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Scent of Worf posted:

"Bad" is a good way to put it because at no point thus far do any of these characters show even an ounce of actually being who the author says they are. They are incredibly pretentious in that regard because it's all for show. That said, I will stop posting about this now until I read some more. Thanks for linking me here btw. His other works look pretty interesting.

Yeah, I don't know what chapter you're on specifically, but I didn't feel it hit its stride until after chapter...21 I think? I nearly quit reading it before that point. After that though it pretty much never stopped being good if not fantastic. It's not a perfect series, but it was greatly enjoyable anyways. The ending rules as well.

I'd say you should read a bunch more before judging it, at any rate. Many of the characters get some great development, some, not so much.

edit: also, reading Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer first makes reading Spirit Circle much more amazing because you can really see just how much he's improved in his natural-feeling character growth and storytelling since LatBH.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 18, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Yeah, the best response here is really just "keep reading". I'll say though that the author's going for a whole different theme than "wanting to destroy the world is an awesome and cool thing".

Fangz posted:

Seven Seas Entertainment's previous licenses seem err... kinda all awful. So well... Good luck I guess.
Bad taste in licenses doesn't necessarily make a company a terrible localizer. And that list's hardly uniformly bad--there're a few standouts that're at least decent or even pretty good.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Samidare is seinen because it was published in a seinen magazine (see the discussion on page 1). Yes I am well aware it is more shounen-like than say Berserk but imagine having to debate every series as being "real" seinen or shounen every time.

Seinen is an incredibly broad term, anyway, since it covers demographics from about 16-40 years old. The main overarching theme in Samidare is the distinction between child and adult and the transition from one to the other, which seems like a much more mature topic than you'd usually find in a shounen manga, even if it's admittedly aimed at the younger end of the seinen age spectrum.

Nate RFB posted:

Anyway it's been a good month for Mizukami because here is Spirit Circle 16! To sum up the chapter: :):respek::ninja:

Looks like we have another recurring character: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/188043/spirit-circle_v3_ch15_by_duralumin/7 and http://www.batoto.net/read/_/207116/spirit-circle_v3_ch16_by_duralumin/11

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

And he's far from the only one! Besides the main crew, which get pretty obvious callouts, just about anytime Mizukami bothers to draw a complete face (a lot of bystanders are missing features), you can be pretty sure you'll see it again if you look carefully. For instance: the samurai ghost, Stona's father, and Vann's superior (the skinny one) all share a certain resemblance :ssh:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Got back into Mizukami for the first time since Biscuit Hammer ended by reading all of Spirit Circle.

:suspense: Jesus Christ

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Fangz posted:

They seem to be owned by TOR

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I only have two series put out by Seven Seas (Girl Friends and Kisses, Sighs, & Cherry Blossom Pink), and neither one is awful. :mad: They're both cute and fluffy "two girls fall in love with each other, eventually" stories, but those aren't for everyone I suppose.

Anyway, the important thing is that the translation is pretty decent, there's honorifics, but it's not jam-packed with them; and the paper and binding is nothing special, but perfectly serviceable. The only bummer is the total lack of color pages, that seems to be a common theme with English releases though.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I don't know what chapter you're on specifically, but I didn't feel it hit its stride until after chapter...21 I think? I nearly quit reading it before that point. After that though it pretty much never stopped being good if not fantastic. It's not a perfect series, but it was greatly enjoyable anyways. The ending rules as well.

I'd say you should read a bunch more before judging it, at any rate. Many of the characters get some great development, some, not so much.

edit: also, reading Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer first makes reading Spirit Circle much more amazing because you can really see just how much he's improved in his natural-feeling character growth and storytelling since LatBH.

You're right! It was around that chapter that I really began to enjoy the manga. While the male and female leads have certainly gotten better over time, I am enjoying Hoshi no Samidare in spite of them and not because of them. The supporting characters really drive the narrative forward. I'm excited to finish this up and move onto Sengoku Youko and Spirit Circle as the main leads in those two series seem to be a lot more interesting.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Spirit Circle 17 is up: Read Online / DDL

We haven't had any other recurring antagonists show up yet besides Kouko, and it turned out she had a pretty good reason (based on what we now know), so I'm curious to see if Kajirou will A: make another appearance (He was probably also Vann's brother, for instance), and B: Have any further reveals or developments that explain his actions? He could always just be straight up nuts, since he has an obvious complex regarding being born the younger brother.

Also kind of wondering if present-day Fuuta will also turn out to be adopted, considering how many of his past lives have had problems with their birth family, then been taken in/nurtured by Dad Prime in some way.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 2, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's a nasty place to end :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Well, I hope someone gets out of this one alive.