Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Washout posted:

Thanks a lot kraken, goblin horns are small and stupid looking.

What's wrong with your graphics? Are you playing Blood Bowl on your microwave or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Jack Trades posted:

What's wrong with your graphics? Are you playing Blood Bowl on your microwave or something?

On a laptop yes. But the real reason I keep everything on lowest is because the pitch is much easier to see when everything is turned down or off. for example the annoying flames go away in the lovely chaos pitch, and on the snow field there is more brown and it's a flat white instead of all that glare.

If I could just remove those two fields as playing surfaces I'd turn all the graphics back up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Washout posted:

On a laptop yes. But the real reason I keep everything on lowest is because the pitch is much easier to see when everything is turned down or off. for example the annoying flames go away in the lovely chaos pitch, and on the snow field there is more brown and it's a flat white instead of all that glare.

If I could just remove those two fields as playing surfaces I'd turn all the graphics back up.

I see.
Personally I'm just turning off the shadows (because they're distracting AND bugged), grass (makes the ground blurry) and bloom (holy poo poo, my eyes!). Everything else is on max and I think it looks pretty that way.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jack Trades posted:

I see.
Personally I'm just turning off the shadows (because they're distracting AND bugged), grass (makes the ground blurry) and bloom (holy poo poo, my eyes!). Everything else is on max and I think it looks pretty that way.

Never play skaven with bloom on jesus christ.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I leave all the settings on max because I like my Bloodbowl to be pretty. How else can I appreciate Cyanide's lovely models?

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Does this game still have the bug where if you have Hail Mary Pass and also Pass it'll use HMP unless you disable it in the skills preset menu?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I doubt you have to full disable it, but you probably have to turn prompt on. It's like that for all skills.

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
We eventually figured that one out. You have to click the skill twice to turn it off. The X should be red and not orange.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My copy of Chaos Edition patched when I logged in today. Didn't see a patch log though. I wonder what they fixed?

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!

quote:

BLOOD BOWL - CHAOS EDITION 3.0.0.5 UPDATE

PLEASE RUN STEAM IN ORDER TO UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY THE GAME.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:
Due to an issue, the game version still shows 3.0.0.4 on the main menu.
This issue will be fixed later.

UPDATE NOTES 3.0.0.5:

- Fixed of issues in the progression in the World Cup mode.
- Improve the functioning of the rule when you create a tournament.
- Fixed a bug occurring at the end of the first tournament in chapter 3.

From http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2093

Mostly single player crap it seems.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I often write release notes as part of my job. And those right there are some embarrassingly bad release notes.

Thanks though. I was hoping they'd taken the opportunity to fix some long-standing serious bugs, but I guess they can't even manage to release a patch without having the patch release number be bugged.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I often write release notes as part of my job. And those right there are some embarrassingly bad release notes.

Thanks though. I was hoping they'd taken the opportunity to fix some long-standing serious bugs, but I guess they can't even manage to release a patch without having the patch release number be bugged.

Honestly they've gone through two major releases without fixing the "Sometimes you can't put a player on the field even when you don't have enough players on the field" bug, so I don't think they're actually trying to work on the long-standing bugs at all. I mean hell even without knowing anything about the game code I can already kind of figure out why it's doing that, so I'd think the people who are actually working on the game would have had it fixed ages ago if it were actually a priority.

(In case you're wondering, it seems to be a bug with using saved formations - if one of the players saved in the formation is unavailable to be placed for some reason, it still eats up their "Slot" in the formation, so the game thinks you have them on the field even though you obviously don't. Since you then can't REMOVE them from the field, you get stuck with less players than you should have)

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Visa versa if you have a bunch of koed players and a deep bench sometimes the field will fill with your deep bench guys and then the recovered guys will be in your endzone, those can then be placed on the field and you'll have more then 11 players.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really like punching opponents in the face as hard as I can but I also enjoy being able to pick up the ball.

Is Chaos the only non-gimmick team that would fit my style or should I try playing some other team (I have CE)?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I really like punching opponents in the face as hard as I can but I also enjoy being able to pick up the ball.

Is Chaos the only non-gimmick team that would fit my style or should I try playing some other team (I have CE)?

There's Orcs and Norse, both of which are mostly AG3. If you don't mind restricting yourself to a few dedicated ball-handlers, there's also Lizards, Undead and Necromantic.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Random Hajile posted:

There's Orcs and Norse, both of which are mostly AG3. If you don't mind restricting yourself to a few dedicated ball-handlers, there's also Lizards, Undead and Necromantic.

I find Orcs to be waaay too slow and Norse to be way too fragile. :/
I suppose I should stick to Chaos, they're really good and versatile after all.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Jack Trades posted:

I find Orcs to be waaay too slow and Norse to be way too fragile. :/
I suppose I should stick to Chaos, they're really good and versatile after all.

I won a league with an 8w1d0l record with a passing orc team and my two throwers were the two players with the most completed passes in the league. They're surprisingly agile and quick. Need to avoid the troll and focus on getting at least four rerolls early though.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Nurgle are pretty handy with their Pestigors having access to mutations with normal levels up. You can easily grab an extra arm or something to make them practically ag4 for ball-handling purposes, and chuck in block and foul appearance to make them a pain in the rear end to attack.

It's also pretty handy having access to disturbing presence on all of your players. Completely flooding the pitch with anti-throwing/catching regions is very handy and they stack. It can make them a nightmare to play against with an agile team, as they're impossible to match up on in terms of strength and passing becomes problematic. Chuck in some tentacles or prehensile tails and they can't even use their dodging skills to get out of the disturbing presence area.

The only real issue is no apothecary, but then the Pestigors get regen too.

They're probably the best team to play with. Alternatively, Necromantic is pretty handy with fast players in ghouls and werewolves. The only issue there is you want to use your werewolves as attacking players so the temptation is to use ghouls as ball carriers, but with AV7 and no regen or apothecary they're pretty fragile. Still they can be turned into blodgers after only two TDs so that's handy. I won my most recent league with a Necromantic team. I pretty much used either werewolf or one of my ghouls as a ball carrier, whichever was convenient. It's very handy having Frenzy to blitz your ball-carier our of a tight spot.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 5, 2012

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Jack Trades posted:

The problem is that the game is balanced between punching and ball handling. So if you want a team that is skewed towards bash but still in the middle of the spectrum try Orcs, Norse, Amazon, Undead or the new CE team Chaos Dwarves.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

The team you are really looking for is chaos pact, they handle the ball much better then chaos. But you can only play it in fumbbl. But if you are looking for a more bashy team then chaos that handles the ball just as well then chaos dwarves are pretty much it. Lizards probably score a lot easier then chaos but are not more bashy, just different.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Chaos can be really good at handling the ball if you build them for it with mutations. Despise what you might think murder isn't the only way to build chaos and you don't need claw, mighty blow, piling on, etc. on all your players. You can get guys with two heads, two arms, big hand and other fun skills to do dumb elfy poo poo. They won't be good at as elves, obviously, but it isn't impossible.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I had a really weird bug with my first installation of CE. My ork campaign team only ever got three different maps to play on without fail. I had to reinstall and wipe the config folder in my documents to get it to behave normally so I can finally play something other than that goddamn snow map :argh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New patch dropped today, here are the patch notes (from their forums)

BLOOD BOWL - CHAOS EDITION 3.0.0.5 UPDATE - NOVEMBER 9 2012

PLEASE RUN STEAM IN ORDER TO UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY THE GAME.

UPDATE NOTES 3.0.0.5:

- Improved LAN compatibility between Legendary Edition and Chaos Edition.
- Improve the functioning of the rule when you create a tournament.
- Fixed of issues in the progression in the World Cup mode.
- Fixed a bug where an opponent player could not be played for an extra turn when hurt by a Wizard at the end of turn.
- Fixed a bug where a player could try to pick up the ball when being pushed back on the ball.
- Fixed an exploit with the Turnover popup.
- Fixed a bug where a player could not continue his move after failing the Foul Appearance roll on a Blitz.
- Fixed a bug where a player could use Dodge when leaving the tackle zones of opponents with Prehensile Tail and Tackle.
- Fixed a bug where it was possible to move a player who had Taken Root on a push-push.
- Fixed a bug occurring at the end of the first tournament in chapter 3.

UPDATE NOTES 3.0.0.4:

- Fixed a possible network synchronization error on Juggernaut when playing with a player of Legendary Edition.
- Savegame crash during a game in solo mode fixed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
A few good bug fixes (I hated the pickup on push one), but still no notes offixing the longest standing bugs. Gahh.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing it's buried somewhere in a mess of spaghetti code that they don't know how to fix.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Is there a way to choose not to use Multiple Block in this game? According to the description you don't have to use it, but whenever I tell my dude to attack one guy and he's standing next to a any others, it just immediately uses multiple block even if it'll put me at 2 dice against.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

cmndstab posted:

Is there a way to choose not to use Multiple Block in this game? According to the description you don't have to use it, but whenever I tell my dude to attack one guy and he's standing next to a any others, it just immediately uses multiple block even if it'll put me at 2 dice against.

Set it to ask in the options menu.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Why the hell wouldn't that be the default? Gah.

Thanks though, you've made my big guy remotely useful again :)

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I just bought this last night and I am really bad. I really can't move the ball up the field at all. The one time I did, a fan riot knocked out the other team and only one of my players.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Wolfy posted:

I just bought this last night and I am really bad. I really can't move the ball up the field at all. The one time I did, a fan riot knocked out the other team and only one of my players.
Don't worry too much yet, it can take a few games before things really start to click.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Wolfy posted:

Remember order of operations, it's probably the most important thing.

1. Free moves (no dodges required) and stand up fallen players.
2. Mark the ball. (stand a guy next to it if possible).
3. Two dice blocks on guys with block, dodge with elves.
4. Get the ball, 1 dice blocks, 2 dice blocks on guys without block etc.
5. 1 dice blocks without block generally not even worth it, end turn.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also read the manual. There are rules to this boardgame and if you don't know them you will never succeed.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Admittedly the game does a bad job of showing you what's what if you're new. Some sort of optional action-preview showing what dice and rolls are involved before confirming an action, but eh, whatever.

Does the FUMBBL client do a better job of showing what goes on in terms of dice? I haven't played despite having an account because of time issues and general amusement at the game telling you, "Hey, join the academy if you're new!" and looking in the academy forums there's all of 5 threads that have been posted in in the last 3 years meaning Academy has been closed for...years? :v:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

No, you need to know the rules even more thoroughly before you play fumbbl.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Also read the manual. There are rules to this boardgame and if you don't know them you will never succeed.

There are rules in Blood Bowl? I just tell my players to punch the opposition and when I feel like being clever I punch the elfguy with the ball first.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Jack Trades posted:

There are rules in Blood Bowl? I just tell my players to punch the opposition and when I feel like being clever I punch the elfguy with the ball first.

Works for me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

cmndstab posted:

Thanks though, you've made my big guy remotely useful again :)
Now give a guy Piling On.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Washout posted:

5. 1 dice blocks without block generally not even worth it, end turn.
Oh. Well that might be my problem.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
6. -3 DB with a snot to surf a chaos warrior? EVERY TIME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

goatface posted:

6. -3 DB with a snot to surf a chaos warrior? EVERY TIME.

Yes, well of course you would do that. Some things are just pro click every time.

• Locked thread