Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Huh. Pubs love complaining that the dice are unfair but I've never seen somebody claim cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I have a friend who's getting his Ph.D in statistics, and he swears up and down that the random number generator in this game is broken. I think he knows he's wrong and just absolutely hates getting the blitz kickoff event. I got it twice in a game against him once and he didn't play for months.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I don't know the exact details but in earlier versions of the game the dice were actually predictable. Somebody correct me if I wrong but before the game started it would generate a huge list of dice rolls meaning you could find and use this list to know what dice were upcoming and use that to your advantage.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Zodiac5000 posted:

I have a friend who's getting his Ph.D in statistics, and he swears up and down that the random number generator in this game is broken. I think he knows he's wrong and just absolutely hates getting the blitz kickoff event. I got it twice in a game against him once and he didn't play for months.

Is your friend named Spiro?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

GNU Order posted:

I don't know the exact details but in earlier versions of the game the dice were actually predictable. Somebody correct me if I wrong but before the game started it would generate a huge list of dice rolls meaning you could find and use this list to know what dice were upcoming and use that to your advantage.

This still exists, someone had a pub kill like 5 or 6 of their players a few weeks back.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

I got 3 -1 up against this guys orc team and he just lost his mind

Not screencapped: Him telling me he knew I was cheating because he could detect the program I was using because he wrote it.

Please tell me you were like playing halflings or something

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

GNU Order posted:

This is essentially how a pseudorandom number generator works. If the algorithm isn't seeded with a different random seed each game, then the dice rolls will repeat the same pattern in every game. I guess they didn't properly seed the RNG.

Knowing Cyanide, they're probably using the basic C stdlib rand() function for dice rolls. It typically produces fairly poor random numbers, especially if used wrong.

Here's an article for all of you who want to join the eternal internet blood war about randomness in video games: http://eternallyconfuzzled.com/arts/jsw_art_rand.aspx

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
Can I no longer upgrade Legendary edition to Chaos edition for ten bucks? I saw the franchise sale on steam and wondered if it applied to the upgrade price I saw when CE came out, but I don't see it on the game page anymore.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

SnakesRevenge posted:

Can I no longer upgrade Legendary edition to Chaos edition for ten bucks? I saw the franchise sale on steam and wondered if it applied to the upgrade price I saw when CE came out, but I don't see it on the game page anymore.

Chaos edition just went on sale in Steam for today, bringing it down to $15 (just after I bought it, of course).

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Yea but you used to be able to upgrade LE to Chaos for $10, which doesn't seem possible at the moment. I got an alert that something on my wishlist was on sale, remembered Chaos for $10, and noticed I could only buy it for $16 today.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Atoramos posted:

Yea but you used to be able to upgrade LE to Chaos for $10, which doesn't seem possible at the moment. I got an alert that something on my wishlist was on sale, remembered Chaos for $10, and noticed I could only buy it for $16 today.

You can still get it for $10 direct from cyanide, or wait until the steam sale ends.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

StoryTime posted:

This is essentially how a pseudorandom number generator works. If the algorithm isn't seeded with a different random seed each game, then the dice rolls will repeat the same pattern in every game. I guess they didn't properly seed the RNG.

Knowing Cyanide, they're probably using the basic C stdlib rand() function for dice rolls. It typically produces fairly poor random numbers, especially if used wrong.

Here's an article for all of you who want to join the eternal internet blood war about randomness in video games: http://eternallyconfuzzled.com/arts/jsw_art_rand.aspx

The actual problem isn't (likely) that rand() is bad or that the seed is poorly chosen but that the seed is known by both parties. Both players need to know the same seed and this can be obtained from a register or a TCP packet. This makes it trivial to get the random series of dice by running whatever algorithm the game uses with the same seed.

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009
I grabbed Legendary Edition in the steam sale because it was super cheap and this is pretty good fun. What's new with Chaos edition - is it just the three new races?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Page Downfall posted:

I grabbed Legendary Edition in the steam sale because it was super cheap and this is pretty good fun. What's new with Chaos edition - is it just the three new races?

And a new stadium.
If you go to Cyanide's website ( https://us-focushop.gamesplanet.com/shop/blood-bowl-chaos-edition-expansion/checkout_3582.html?affiliate=pageboutiqueofficialwebsite ) you might be able to upgrade to Chaos edition for $10 more.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

MaskedHuzzah posted:

And a new stadium.
If you go to Cyanide's website ( https://us-focushop.gamesplanet.com/shop/blood-bowl-chaos-edition-expansion/checkout_3582.html?affiliate=pageboutiqueofficialwebsite ) you might be able to upgrade to Chaos edition for $10 more.

You can do this from steam as well when the game isn't on sale.

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009
Do I need it to play multiplayer with others with Chaos in the meantime? Also are there active goon leagues? I'm still terrible, but it would be cool to have some games.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Page Downfall posted:

Do I need it to play multiplayer with others with Chaos in the meantime? Also are there active goon leagues? I'm still terrible, but it would be cool to have some games.
Legendary Edition and Chaos Edition are multiplayer compatible with each other. You only need CE to use CE teams.

The Goon league doesn't really have many teams just idling around waiting for challengers, but if you hop into IRC, you should be able to find a match easily enough.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 25, 2012

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Just got this, and am playing some singleplayer to learn the rules before I get my butt kicked in MP.

Is it a common bug for players to randomly get skill bonuses to their rolls when they don't have the skill? I've seen unleveled human blitzers get pick up bonuses, and dodge bonuses, and it's making me sad.

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!

Bobo the Red posted:

Just got this, and am playing some singleplayer to learn the rules before I get my butt kicked in MP.

Is it a common bug for players to randomly get skill bonuses to their rolls when they don't have the skill? I've seen unleveled human blitzers get pick up bonuses, and dodge bonuses, and it's making me sad.

Pick-up and Dodge are an Agility roll +1

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bobo the Red posted:

I'm not sure entirely what you mean, but some rolls have automatic modifiers applied to them. For example every dodge and pick up roll gets a +1 unless you roll a natural 1.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Eh?

Don't play the single player in anything other than classic mode. Then only play it long enough to understand the interface. Then play real people.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Actually just jump straight to the playing against real people part. The AI is awful and it will teach you bad habits.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Not to mention real people are lot more fun to play against. I mean the AI isn't going to care when you smash their star player.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'm always in the minority here on this one, but there's nothing wrong with playing against the AI while you learn the basic rules of the game. Just make sure you do move to multiplayer once you understand how the game works because the computer does some pretty drat retarded things that you will never see in a real match.

And yes, certain actions are considered "easier" than others (dodging, catching an accurate ball, etc) and receive an automatic +1 as a result.

You might do well to read the Blood Bowl living rulebook. If you Google it, it'll be the top link and you can get a PDF. It's not that long and really useful to read through.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It may come as a surprise to some people, but this game actually comes with a manual and the manual actually explains the rules of the game pretty well!

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009
I was legitimately surprised and I think reading the rules has helped a little bit. Anyway, going to try not get pasted online again.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Yeah, it's actually a really good manual. It's detailed but not so long as to be intimidating to read, and it's set out pretty well.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I'm starting a new LP, so go vote!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525826&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post411084682

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Hey OP, in the OP you say the amazon blitzer is the only player to start with blodge. That's not true is it :colbert:

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Wood Elfs aren't a real team.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Legendary / Chaos edition are up for sale on Steam again if for some reason people didn't already own them

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Wooper posted:

Hey OP, in the OP you say the amazon blitzer is the only player to start with blodge. That's not true is it :colbert:

I forgot about wardancers somehow, I like mistakes it gives things character.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

What's the etiquette for the IRC channel? Meaning more specifically, is it kosher for me to just pipe up and ask generally for a match, so long as I post team name, race, and team value?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Do you have a letter of introduction yet?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

apostateCourier posted:

What's the etiquette for the IRC channel? Meaning more specifically, is it kosher for me to just pipe up and ask generally for a match, so long as I post team name, race, and team value?

We're pretty chill in the IRC, most of the time we're not even talking about blood bowl. If you wanna come play you can wander in and ask for a match, all you really need to tell us is what team value your team is. Name doesn't matter and race isn't a huge deal typically

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

GNU Order posted:

We're pretty chill in the IRC, most of the time we're not even talking about blood bowl. If you wanna come play you can wander in and ask for a match, all you really need to tell us is what team value your team is. Name doesn't matter and race isn't a huge deal typically

Alright, thanks for the information. Hopefully not ALL of my dark elves bite it during game one. Or worse, game one I get +stats on every skill up, then all those players die via GFIs or something stupid in game two.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My God. I just realized this game existed. As an old-school fan of Mutant League Football and someone who has just gotten into WH40k over the past year, I'm very upset that I wasn't informed earlier.

Please, please tell me there is an iOS version in the works. I hate having to BootCamp into Windows on my MacBook, but damned if I won't do it for this, for sure.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

mdemone posted:

My God. I just realized this game existed. As an old-school fan of Mutant League Football and someone who has just gotten into WH40k over the past year, I'm very upset that I wasn't informed earlier.

Please, please tell me there is an iOS version in the works. I hate having to BootCamp into Windows on my MacBook, but damned if I won't do it for this, for sure.

Ummm no, the dev for this game are a bunch of shitlords. There are still TONS of release bugs, and it's on the 4th expansion pack...

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

There is always fumbbl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
So things I learned from my last match
1. Skinks can't dodge
2. Saurus can dodge
3. Dwarf passing play is amazing

• Locked thread