Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Unfortunately when people mention that they drive a station wagon, others immediately think of this:

And immediately preconceive their car, no matter what, to be lame because it is a “station wagon.” This is very unfortunate because when I hear wagon, or estate, or Avant, or Touring, I think of this:

Despite what many people think, station wagons are loving awesome. If you have one, don’t let anyone try and tell you otherwise.

Oh, I'm sorry. You didn't know why wagons take dumps on other cars all day long? Here's a few reasons for you:

-They get the same MPG’s, performance, and handling characteristics as their sedan siblings.
-Wagons have nice butts.
-99% of the utility that an SUV has, except in an infinitely better looking package.
-They have SPAAAAAACE for stuff…and lot’s of it!
-Expanded roof space for racks/boxes/carries/whatever.
-Pet friendly!
-You can sleep in them!
-Fast wagons are awesome and comical; the ultimate sleeper (think a B5 RS4)

So pretty much to sum up the above: wagons are awesome, despite what 99% of the car enthusiast/general population might think. I’ve come to realize there are two sides to it: You either understand the whole wagon thing and can appreciate them, or you don’t get it at all and never will. There’s no in-between.

So this thread is here for us Goons who have wagon fetishes, and maybe will open some other’s eyes to the awesomeness that is the wagon. This thread is to talk about your wagon, share what you’ve done (or are doing) to it, yap about all things wagon, fap about all things wagon, share photos of why wagons are awesome, share photos of awesome wagons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
To start this thread off on the right foot, meet Lilly; my Avant.

2001 Audi S4
2.7 litre twin turbo V6
6 speed manual

I love her very much. And yes, I did give her a girls name. :colbert:
As of right now the Avant has the following modifications:

-H&R Coilovers
-Miro 111 wheels in 18x8.5 wrapped with Hankook Ventus V12 tires
-Ecode headlights

Future mods include:

-Carbon Fiber interior trim (to replace the lovely wood trim)
-Full stage 3 (about 500 crank HP)
-Recaro seats

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
My dog likes my (dirty) wagon. Also, I need new tires.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That ford is the best wagon pictured on this page. Break your posting fingers now. Can you sit in the back and flip off the car behind you without turning around in those fu fu air bag wagons? I think not, game over out of coin.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I love wagons! Every one I've owned has been either Volvo or AMC. My brother just picked up this 72' Ambassador for 600 bucks.

The interior is mint, the electric rear window still works from the drivers switch on the dash or key in the tailgate, and the tailgate can fold down to sit on or swing open. This thing is a beast!

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Buick Estate Wagon, power clamshell. Greatest single automotive innovation ever. The glass goes in the roof, the door goes under the floor.

Sort looks like this in operation :aaa:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Wagon fan, checking in. I've posted my old A4 Avant a few times around here, but might as well add a couple of my favorites here too.

When I bought it in January 2009, it looked like this:

A couple months later, I was bitten hard by the mod bug:

Then I got its fifth set of wheels:

Then I sold it like an idiot!

And I regret it everyday. Now I drive a fast but boring sedan. However, If everything works out, I'll be back in an Avant by the end of the month. I have a huge folder of wagon photos at home, I'll post my favorites later on.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 11, 2012

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

GramCracker posted:

Unfortunately when people mention that they drive a station wagon, others immediately think of this:

There's nothing "unfortunate" about that wagon. :colbert:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Horrible picture, but I <3 my WRX Wagon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've had my heart set on an BMW wagon for a while, specifically a model such as this:

I trawl through autotrader every day to find the right one. Eventually my unicorn will turn up. Eventually. :negative:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Unfortunately all my mod money goes to my other two cars, but as a daily driver I absolutely love my Volvo V70 T5 with the 5-speed manual, for all the reasons listed in the OP. Fast, handles great, and once I fit a full size clothes dryer in the back without even folding the seat down.

The only mods it has are H&R lowering springs, 18" BBS wheels and aftermarket stereo. But as a daily driver I will always have one of these as long as they're available. When I wear this one out I'll get another one.

I'm fortunate enough to work in a company with its own little wagon mafia. The only holdout is my immediate supervisor who has a BMW 5 series sedan. The owner of my company asked if I have the right transmission during my job interview, and was surprised to hear "yes".

Owner: Audi allroad 6-speed with upgraded turbos and air springs for highway handling and mountain ground clearance.
Owner's son: Audi S6 wagon 6-speed with coilovers and RS6 brakes, and a sleeper '84 VW Quantum with a 2.0T AWD conversion for the winter.
VP: Audi A3 TDI wagon
Shop tech: 91 Subaru legacy wagon gutted with STI struts and a planned STI motor conversion.

All glory to wagons.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 31, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

My 325i Touring. Don't be jealous, it's way ropier than it looks in this picture.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

InitialDave posted:

My 325i Touring. Don't be jealous, it's way ropier than it looks in this picture.

I love that. The E30 is one of my favorite BMWs.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I grew up in the rear-facing backseat of two consecutive Taurus wagons saying :whatup: to the cars behind me.

Slept in this guy a few nights when my chips were down:

Now I love my awkward little Saabaru:

I lust for the OPInterceptor , as well as a coachbuilt 456 wagon:

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I am a wagonist

04-V70R-6MT

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's about time.

First I had this 06 WRX wagon...

...so I added a 97 Outback Sport wagon so they could be friends.

The '06 is slightly compromised now with a burly rear strut brace taking up a lot of the contiguous vertical cabin room, but I can live with it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 11, 2012

Duckboat
May 15, 2012
Am I lame for thinking Dodge Magnums are cool?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Duckboat posted:

I thought they were cool when they first came out. I appreciate that they're so different. Then I sat in one at an auto show and the interior didn't impress me much. And for being a wagon, they sure don't have a lot of useable cargo space due to the roofline. Still, a well done one turns heads.

Oh, and my new wagon will be here in about a week. :D

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If I had to limit myself to one car it would be an E34 540i touring. Speed, Class, and Practicality. Can't beat it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

rscott posted:

If I had to limit myself to one car it would be an E34 540i touring. Speed, Class, and Practicality. Can't beat it.

Can't get them in a 6spd. Buy this instead:

On a serious note, is there such thing as a RWD/AWD wagon with a manual that gets decent mileage? In north america. Looking to replace my e36 coupe next year with something practical but still fun to drive. The very shortlist so far seems to be e46 325i tourings and A4 1.8Ts. Definitely working on a sub-10k budget.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's about time.

First I had this 06 WRX wagon...

Wow, we are wagon sisters :hfive: (minus the turbo)

2006 Impreza 5speed.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Regularly wish I still had my 318is (motor swap) Touring, especially when trying to go around corners in an Impretzel wagon. Or just when trying to fit stuff into the back of said pretzel. The E30 touring is really a perfect road car, other than the below and the fuel consumption.

I would get a 325 touring but can't justify the negative Euro NCAP stars with two kids. :(

If I won the lottery (that I don't play), it would have to be a mint, rust-free Touring with an SBC or an RV8. And of course a working trip computer!

e: CONTENT!

Saga fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 11, 2012

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Wagons Estates awesome.

I had a big sheddy french one.

After a foolish foray into saloons I'm back.

2.5 Years. 45,000 Miles. 150 horsepower, 6 speeds. 37.7/43.4/54.2 max/avg/min mpg tank to tank. My 320d. It needs a pile of maintainance but I love it.

Awesome ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xgakhV3hEw

Ones that are best not to get familiar with, but are still sweet wagons:

stump fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 11, 2012

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

DropShadow posted:

I thought they were cool when they first came out. I appreciate that they're so different. Then I sat in one at an auto show and the interior didn't impress me much. And for being a wagon, they sure don't have a lot of useable cargo space due to the roofline. Still, a well done one turns heads.

Oh, and my new wagon will be here in about a week. :D
I'm pretty sure you and I are of the same mind in hating Audi for keeping all of the S and RS avants on the other side of the pond. I wanted an S4 avant but ended up with an S4 sedan and a Volvo 240 to satisfy my wagon lust.

None of my friends understand why I love an old wheezy wagon that makes under 100hp and my fiancée actively hates it.

What secret wagon are you getting to replace the S4?

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008
I've only ever owned sedans, but my passion is for wagons. Some day, when I have money, my '07 CTS-V will be replaced by an '11 or later CTS-V wagon, and I will never want again.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
My Volvo 850, platinum edition:

Top of the line, back in 1996. :cool:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Duckboat posted:

No, not at all...someone here (I can't remember your handle, sorry) has an SRT he tracks...

I really want to find one and do a 300C SRT Front clip swap.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Mut my current ride is wagon because I had shoulder surgery and can't drive stick for a while :(

gently caress sedans tho, all that wasted space above the trunk!

aventari fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 12, 2012

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat
I had a 1994 Grand Marquis station wagon in college. Best party barge ever. 10 people wanna go to the game on Saturday? We're good. Leather seats to boot, with the 5.0 v8, faster than you could imagine. And a big rear compartment behind the rear wheel that could hold a respectable sized tailgate bar. Just remember: spare cases of oil fit under the rear seats. Oh, and the rear door? A tailgate, for your tailgating needs. Best wood paneled sex machine ever.

legendaryRev fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 12, 2012

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

All you dudes and your fancy wagons. :colbert:
Someday we may ride together again, my friend.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I owned a fast wagon for a few days, but it blew up :(

LOVED THAT CAR.

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon with the all weather package. It was everything I wanted then the turbo blew up and took the motor out with it.

Back to the dealer four hours away:

Got my money back because I didn't want them to half rear end a rebuild on a performance car and the car was dinged up more than they told me.

Miss it and am craving another one badly. Especially doing junkyard runs with a legacy sedan these days.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I bought a Mazda 6 Sport Wagon, it's freaking awesome. I can carry my 10 foot longboard without having to mount it on the roof. That is a big deal for me since I surf before work and can leave the board locked in the car all day. Carries all the stuff I need for camping with my wife. Before getting it I was running a 3 roadster household.

Bonus hellaflush due to firewood.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man I want this one bad: http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R=13502468

Love me some wagons.

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!
yay

08 RT AWD. Lowered a few inches because stock wheelgap/ride height on the LX AWDs is ridiculous. High-flow cats and catback to wake up the neighbours, and a few other little mods here and there. In the plans are Charger SRT replica 20" wheels, then maybe drop it another inch.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Long-time wagonist, short time wagon owner checking in.I've only owned my '96 Volvo 850T-5 wagon for 3 months, and it's already burned a valve that's gonna cost me a couple grand to fix, but gently caress if it isn't one of the best cars I've owned.

The only thing I've done to it since this picture (besides break it) is black-out the grill, leaving the diagonal bar and emblem chrome.

Some wagons I've seen about town:

LloydDobler posted:

All glory to wagons.

One day, I will build a Gen. III SBC powered 740 wagon; it's the ultimate sleeper. It's been a dream of mine since high school, and I figure it can double as a tow-vehicle for my other projects.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
This is a wagon and it is mine
Day I bought it:

Kinda like it is now:

RCE T1s (Kw V2s)
Cusco 1-way front diff
forged pistons
almost all the rubber bits have been replaced
now RPF-1s as the SSRs died :(
Intercooler, downpipe, etc

nm fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 12, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My wagon just before I sold it:

Spot the baby intercooler:

Guess the make and model

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007
I had this 8-seater 1996 Olds Ciera in college. Good times.

Now I have a 2001 Legacy base model with a 5 speed. A car for any situation. Here it is carrying forty 8' 2x4s and making it look easy.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

dissss posted:

Guess the make and model
Man, Stageas are wonderful.

Jork Juggler posted:

I had this 8-seater 1996 Olds Ciera in college. Good times.
A-body love-in. :hfive:

Wagons! Love 'em. I had one! 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity CL. I bought it from the son of the original owners in June 2007 with 70k miles and a refreshed engine. Here is a small and blurry cell phone picture when I picked it up in Ames, IA:

I decided I didn't really like the steel rally wheels, so I swapped them with the Cutlass Ciera GT wheels from my 6000.

Rear facing third seat supremacy. My kids loved them.

I then felt that the Ciera wheels were blasé, so I got a set of 16" Lumina sawblades.

It had engine mount problems. I fixed it! :downs:

My tastes in wheels are cyclical, so the rallys went back on.

Some douchebag knocked a cement trash can into it at a gas station, denting the gently caress out of the driver's door.

Then it got stolen, and they wrecked the steering column. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get a replacement installed, so it went to the junkyard. My oldest daughter cried. :(

Wagons are amazing sleepers. A member of the A-body forum has a 1987 Pontiac 6000 S/E wagon with a turbo 3.1 swap (think Grand Prix McLaren Turbo). Here is a video of it dynoing 194 hp and 258 ft-lbs on a sketchy tune through a 440T4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_wwmwKxkM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Left Ventricle posted:

Man, Stageas are wonderful.

Not a Stagea.

Is a Nissan though, just smaller and FWD-based (mine was AWD)

• Locked thread