Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holy gently caress that Challenger/Vista Cruiser combo... if they actually made that I would drive the poo poo out of that, drat the mileage!

I'm pretty sure my next car will be some sort of 5/6 speed wagon. I'm guessing that pretty much limits me to BMW, Mazda, Subaru, and Volvo if I want something relatively modern (OBD-2 at least)? I ran across a late 90s Volvo 5 speed wagon when I was looking for a car last time, but the 320k on the odometer kinda scared me off. 1 owner, always dealer maintained, new clutch, new timing belt, ice cold a/c, leather looked a few years old instead of ~15 years old, a pile of maintenance receipts several inches high going back to its very first service... and it still would have been more reliable than my Altima. :sigh: IIRC, it was a 98 V70, asking $2500 (2 years ago), no rust, always garaged, paint was fantastic with only a few door dings.. :suicide: Probably some wiggle room on the price, but to me, a one owner car with a full documented maintenance history is worth a lot more than another identical car with a few owners and no documentation.

Yes, I'm still kicking myself.

The :tinfoil: in me wonders what would happen if you got in a wreck with an engine chillin in the back like that :downsgun:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

some texas redneck posted:

The :tinfoil: in me wonders what would happen if you got in a wreck with an engine chillin in the back like that :downsgun:

No more posts from me or kastein :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
we were joking about that on the way back to my place, it'd make for a pretty serious headache.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How could I forget, I briefly owned this glorious bit of 80s/90s Subaru magic:

Blew both headgaskets a few months in, went gently caress it and kept driving it for a few months longer. So much milkshake in the radiator.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

~SPORTS WAGON~

I can dig it. Shame about the engine, though.

Now I want one, to throw a full STI drivetrain underneath it and not change a single thing cosmetically.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 14, 2012

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
A few wagons I like:

Alfa Romeo 156 (and 159) Sportswagon

Newer Toyota Avensis

Honda Accord Tourer

And the greatest wagon that never was, BMW E46 M3 Touring Concept

Znyp
Jan 23, 2003

My old merc, loved that car - but it was starting to be a pretty high maintance so off it went..

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Went on a big wagon drive yesterday. Started at Limerock Park and drive all the way up rte. 7 to Stratton. I snapped this along the way (crappy cell picture)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Znyp posted:

My old merc, loved that car - but it was starting to be a pretty high maintance so off it went..

It's a shame that the W210 had the rust and reliability problems it did. I know taxi operators here loved them because they were so ridiculously spacious. Even the sedan had an enormous trunk.

And well... It wasn't really a looker, especially compared to the later E-classes.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

I'm pretty sure my next car will be some sort of 5/6 speed wagon. I'm guessing that pretty much limits me to BMW, Mazda, Subaru, and Volvo if I want something relatively modern (OBD-2 at least)?

You're forgetting (at least) Audi and Volkswagen

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

bolind posted:

Honda Accord Tourer
Also known as the Acura TSX Sport Wagon. Which they actually sell in America. Right now. Go buy one.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Billy Tully posted:

Behind the seats is the cargo cover? In the back seats is an extra rear door I also picked up. I bought it with a bad engine, got screwed by a junkyard on the second engine and then got lucky with that engine thats in the back. It now sounds like it will make it to 300k easily, have about 180k on both the car and engine and its solid.

I don't have that cargo cover. Didn't know it existed.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
:whatup:

My 1966 AMC Rambler wagon with hydraulics.

Asshole Bicycle fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 14, 2012

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Bought a $1400 Subaru Outback Sport 5speed, had a bad engine and I have been throwing money in the form of engine and interior parts at it since. Hopefully I can get it home next week.

In thorough Subaru fashion, it was full of dog hair. And sunflower seeds with the requisite spit smell. And Pall Malls. Luckily it was filled with Rockford Fosgate component speakers in the doors, connecting to the stock Clarion radio.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

James Woods posted:

E39 540i M Sport

There are few things more satisfying than blowing the doors off a serious sports car with a station wagon. God help the points on my license as soon as I get my hands on a S62 and a six speed.

My favorite part about your 5'er is that I can smell the burning rubber from 50 yards behind.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

1993' W124 estate. M104 3.2 liter. 208K miles, Hauls rear end, motorcycles, engines, and tools. Its the shop mule.

Bought it for 900 bucks and took it on a 7500 mile adventure. The list of poo poo broken or beginning to fail rivals the range rover in the background, but I still love the drat thing.

Those are W202 wheels.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I drive a 2002 Kia Rio Cinco.

I'd post a pic of mine, but the body is a bit beat up, and I tried to fix some of the rust patches, but the paint I used has faded (I have no idea how to paint a car properly). It has been a good car for me going to and from college and work. Its surprisingly roomy with the back seat folded down. I managed to get two 32" tube TVs in there and a bunch of other stuff on a recent Goodwill drop-off. I currently have about 104,000 miles on it and it runs great.

When I'm finished with school next year, hopefully I can move up to a full-time position at my work and buy a TDI Jetta Wagon.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Is the Ford Flex a wagon? Honestly I don't know, it looks like a wagon but it's literally taller than me.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
It's a van

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I've owned two wagons, both AMCs.

1974 AMC Hornet Sportabout wagon which was as 70s as you could get, in great shape, and I drove everywhere, including various hundred and thousand mile trips. This is ~my car~ that I'll pine for all my life, I miss it so.

The other was a utility for when the Hornet was packed away in the garage for winter, a 1985 AMC Eagle wagon.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The two cars I'm pining for are a Saab 9-2x Aero and a 90's Buick Roadmaster. :allears:

Boxy but good!
Apr 30, 2009
What ever happened to the AMC Eagle project thread that popped up a while back? I was really hype to see where that went.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Cakefool posted:

Seriously though, I own 2 wagons, unfortunately both fwd diesel shitboxes but I'd struggle to ever bring myself to buy a sedan, they're not nearly as versatile.

I wouldn't call mine a shitbox, I rather like it.

Then again, I pretty rarely need all the extra space. But hey, I have it!

Also I am so jealous of those Eagles. I want a 4wd Eagle and a Javelin so bad.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

KakerMix posted:

1974 AMC Hornet Sportabout wagon which was as 70s as you could get, in great shape, and I drove everywhere, including various hundred and thousand mile trips. This is ~my car~ that I'll pine for all my life, I miss it so.

The other was a utility for when the Hornet was packed away in the garage for winter, a 1985 AMC Eagle wagon.

Speaking of, here's mine that I just picked up. I'm pleased with it:

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

My old '05 Legacy GT (AWD boost buggy) made me want to never again live without a wagon:

We sold that beautiful bastard and its payment for a cheap car we could buy outright -- our '00 323iT:

The day I bought it.

New wheels for summer tires.

iPhone 5 cameras still kinda suck at night shots.

We've moved bathtubs, 5 people plus a dog, a full bedroom set... I love it. I'm a proud American station wagon owner, and I feel this is a safe place to share my love of my wagons.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Quick cellphone snap of my unwashed '08 Legacy GT Wagon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

mutata posted:

That looks hot as gently caress. Is it a stick? I hope it's a stick, the rarest of rare (maybe besides the Eagle Kammback) and it looks in way better shape than mine. Those black bits and black wheels make it look especially tough.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Ive been holding on to these two photos for awhile...

too bad most of these are getting big wheels now...

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Stardotstar posted:

We've moved bathtubs, 5 people plus a dog, a full bedroom set... I love it. I'm a proud American station wagon owner, and I feel this is a safe place to share my love of my wagons.

Which one do/did you like more?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

KakerMix posted:

That looks hot as gently caress. Is it a stick? I hope it's a stick, the rarest of rare (maybe besides the Eagle Kammback) and it looks in way better shape than mine. Those black bits and black wheels make it look especially tough.

Nope, automatic. I would've preferred stick, but alas, like you said, they are rarer. In any case, it was a bit of a spur of the moment buy in that we were looking to get a 2nd car and when I saw this Eagle the guy already had 2 offers for it. I won because I was the only one offering who wanted to actually take care of it instead of use it as a beater to run into the ground.

Drove it 33 miles to work today, and it did pretty good! It's stalling occasionally on when coming down from higher RPM to idle, so I'll need to get someone to help me tune the carb.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

KakerMix posted:

mutata posted:

I love you both.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

blk posted:

Which one do/did you like more?

We bought the Legacy in Arizona, where 250hp was useful on a daily basis. However, after moving to Portland, about 200 of those ponies went woefully underused. This was definitely the better car to take up to Mt Hood Meadows for snow days. With studless snow tires it was the most planted, confident car I've ever driven in inclement weather. Its highway gas mileage (~24-26 mpg average) was mediocre, but obviously far better than an SUV or somesuch.

On the other hand, the handling balance of the BMW is far better, and has been utterly worry-free from a maintenance perspective -- no headgaskets or clogged oil strainers to worry about. ~170 hp is enough to get out of its own way and returns 29mpg highway, and snow tires and traction control mean it's plenty capable in the snow as well. The fact that the BMW cost less than 1/3 of the Legacy while retaining all the creature comforts (heated leather, good stereo, xenons, etc) and utility means that for us, it was a huge bargain and has been just plain better to own.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

mutata posted:

Drove it 33 miles to work today, and it did pretty good! It's stalling occasionally on when coming down from higher RPM to idle, so I'll need to get someone to help me tune the carb.

Hey, mine did that too! I'd have to play a dangerous game of left-foot-brake-right-foot-gas-while-in-neutral to keep it from stalling. Turns out a problem with Jeeps of that era is the same for Eagles as well.

This is what I had to do and after this it ran wonderfully (I also had to turn down the idle because the previous owner had it dialed all the way up). The only other problem I had with it was I had to crawl underneath and wrench the differential to always be in 4-wheel because the switch had busted.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

TheClarkster posted:

Current Daily Driver:toot:

Very sexy beast. :toot:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Hey, mine did that too! I'd have to play a dangerous game of left-foot-brake-right-foot-gas-while-in-neutral to keep it from stalling. Turns out a problem with Jeeps of that era is the same for Eagles as well.

This is what I had to do and after this it ran wonderfully (I also had to turn down the idle because the previous owner had it dialed all the way up). The only other problem I had with it was I had to crawl underneath and wrench the differential to always be in 4-wheel because the switch had busted.

Sweet, yeah, I've seen that guide. It's good to know it worked. I went so far as to pull the air cleaner off and spray a bunch of carb cleaner in/around it while opening the throttle a bit, and it's doing better than it was a week ago, but I'll have to get a 3/16" wrench and pull the venturi out and do it up proper.

Hopefully it will make her easier to start in the mornings, too.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

drat you Ford. Why didn't you do this from the factory?!

TheClarkster
Oct 23, 2008

netwerk23 posted:

Very sexy beast. :toot:

How is the manual in that thing? I jumped ship from stickshift thanks to my commute, and the autostick is alright until it breaks. Then it is just expensive. Same goes with the fancy adjustable suspension; now that the front struts are busted, I'm considering sticking the standard and far less expensive replacements in and foregoing the adjustability.

I love this car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Zenostein posted:

I wouldn't call mine a shitbox, I rather like it.

Then again, I pretty rarely need all the extra space. But hey, I have it!

Also I am so jealous of those Eagles. I want a 4wd Eagle and a Javelin so bad.

Mine are most definitely shitboxes, I have a cat-c damaged Volvo v70 tdi worth less than the pair of tyres it needs & a younger but less reliable Peugeot 206SW. The pug would actually be a fun car to throw around if I gutted the electrics & rewired it from scratch.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I love it more than I have the words for. 323Ti SE (not sure what the SE is in relation to).

It's actually incredible for central London driving, I don't know if it's the RWD giving a better turning circle or what, but it's a joy to reverse parallel park.

Rnr posted:

The car when not seen through crappy phone pics, 320d E46 Touring

Love it.

This is next, too, or maybe the next generation up. I don't think I could ever go back, the space vs performance and handling is entirely addictive. I also think most/all newer BMWs look loving awful except the touring models. Something about the lines makes all those weird angles work.

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

1988 240 wagon with the B230F + M47, this is an old photo and it's sadly not in this good of condition anymore, but it's still my faithful daily.
Highlights have included moving twice, buying a 3pce lounge set and fitting it all in the back and plenty of RWD hoonage, no-one ever suspects the Volvo. :getin:

This is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
I test drove a Ford Focus ST yesterday and loved it. Seriously thinking about getting one. But I found out that in Europe, you can have it as a station wagon too.

Considering the hatch, but if they offered the wagon in the US I would've signed Ford a check in about 10 seconds. Five seconds if they offer it in that ridiculous Tangerine color.

• Locked thread