Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

My 325i Touring. Don't be jealous, it's way ropier than it looks in this picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saga posted:

I would get a 325 touring but can't justify the negative Euro NCAP stars with two kids. :(
That's a pathetic reason not to buy a great car. Don't crash into things, you'll be fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

Mine had non consensual intercourse with a deer.

Hah, I had my dad's silver E91 parked at my place for most of last month. If we knew someone with a silver E36, we could have done a full generational line up of 3-series Tourings!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I imagine you don't want to hear that my friend's company car is a diesel Mazda 6 estate, then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
BMW have gone weird with their engine availability anyway. At one time, it was pretty much a case of "pick engine size, pick bodystyle", now they're really constraining which engines you can get in which cars. Ok, they have more engine options now, but why can you buy a 335d coupe, but not a saloon, convertible or Touring? 335i, sure, that opens up the saloon and convertible, but still not the Touring. Even the spec requirements are different. 335i SE coupe or convertible? No problem. 335i saloon? Got to be M Sport or Luxury. SE stops at 328i. You want an ES-spec saloon? I hope you want a 316d, you loving poor. Want a Luxury-spec coupe? NO.

It's not like they have to do anything particularly special to fit a 3-series engine in a 3-series. I appreciate combinations outside the high runners will incur more faffing around, but they're making a mistake to simply not offer them. If Audi can build and sell an RS4 Avant, they can build and sell a 335i or M3 Touring. Hell, a 335i Touring would undercut the Audi by nearly £15k and, based on the coupe time, be comparably quick. I could live with 5.5 seconds to sixty instead of 4.7 with that amount of extra cash staying in my pocket, that's for sure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You'll note that Audi doesn't sell the RS4 Avant anymore, either. It just doesn't make much sense.
:britain:, remember. Still listed on their website.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Parents had one new in exactly that spec. Underpowered, vague steering, then it blew a head gasket. Probably their least favourite BMW of all they've owned.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why do they have an "S" with 5% more power? If it'll output that with enough reliability for them to sell/warranty it, why not just sell that one?

Yeah, I know, "But these go up to 11..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My parents are coming back from holiday tomorrow, so I gave my old man's E91 a wash and detailing. It won't stay like that, of course (he has an amazing ability to get cars filthy), but at least if he stacks it on the way home the Highways Agency Wombles won't think I let him run around all dirty.

• Locked thread