Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I am a wagonist

04-V70R-6MT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

DAT RAM posted:

Lesbaru Crew
<snip>
Please do not call it an SUV.
When I was looking for a wagon it was either the VR I found or a ForesterXT with a manual. It pretty much came down to which one I could find first.

I very strongly dislike the new Forester. Maybe it's just me

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Crustashio posted:

The original forester XT is the best forester :colbert:
I'm partial to the 2nd gen myself, especially in white.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

TheClarkster posted:

Current Daily Driver:toot:

Very sexy beast. :toot:

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

TheClarkster posted:

How is the manual in that thing? I jumped ship from stickshift thanks to my commute, and the autostick is alright until it breaks. Then it is just expensive. Same goes with the fancy adjustable suspension; now that the front struts are busted, I'm considering sticking the standard and far less expensive replacements in and foregoing the adjustability.

I love this car.

The M66 is fairly solid, I haven't had any major issues after 60k miles. I've had the shifter cables replaced under recall but that's about it. Eventually the slave cylinder will fail and eventually it'll need a new clutch, but I'm careful with my shifting and it's an expected repair.

The nice struts are integrated into the suspension and stability control system, you can swap out for standard cheapies but expect the dash to light up with error messages. The cheapest I've seen so far is from Tasca for around $320 shipped, but sometimes you can find deals on ebay or the classifieds on swedespeed. An enterprising poster on the R forums swapped for normal struts and wired a resistor into the 4C control line, tricking the computer into thinking it was still an OEM strut. Of course, no adjustable 4C settings anymore, but he saved himself a pile of money because (I think) he needed something like 3 of the 4 struts replaced. So far I'm at 112k and all 4 of mine are fine, no leaks.

The good news is that replacing the rear struts is actually pretty easy DIY (just rent a spring compressor) and the fronts are fairly easy, saving yourself a few hours of shop labor.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Congrats and welcome to the (small) SomethingAwful Forums V70R Owners Club!! Your membership kit with sticker, tshirt and commemorative fanny pack will ship in 7-9 weeks.

My 04 VR is in the shop today for timing belt/water pump/end links/ etc. 114k on the factory belt, the change is long overdue. The belt does look great though.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
Wife says, let's rent a UHaul van to take the banquette back. Rent? Why?

Need space? V70R has it. Need more? Put the rear seats down. Need another 6"? Remove the rear seats. Need max space? Fold the front seat down!

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Vigo327 posted:

I dont know Canada offhand but in the USA, yes you could get a 6spd manual.

Yes, but it was a special-order only. That's what my dealer told me.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

nm posted:

My friend has a V60R of this generation, and it is completely unreliable. It has had AT issues (admittedly not a problem witha stick), raditor replaced, diff issues, hilariously expensive shocks (book they are almost $1000/corner, but you can do quite a bit cheaper), etc.
I think it is about 100k mi.
The radiator thing is very common, the end caps on the stock unit are plastic and after so many miles will crack and leak. Only fix is a replacement, some people go with a fully-aluminum unit but most just replace with the OEM one. The shocks are very expensive but you can usually find a coupon, sometimes the buy-3-get-one deals work on these too. A few other cars used the same shocks so they aren't totally unicorns but still rare and expensive.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

LloydDobler posted:

Buddy in the local Volvo club runs this car. Bagged, turbo converted, grabs a lot of attention. Cross posting in the awesome thread too.

I wouldn't slam it so hard, but it's otherwise perfect. Buy your buddy a beer for me (but paid for by you kthanx)

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Left Ventricle posted:

Hell, wagon stalwart Volvo stopped selling the V70 here a couple years ago, though there are rumors they may bring it back.
I would very seriously consider the V60 Hybrid if it was sold over here.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

StandardVC10 posted:

Single turbo, but yes. He put ~114,000 miles on it, as I recall. Tons of space, plenty of power, fairly classy interior, and you'd never mistake it for an SUV behind the wheel because you sit quite low. But the transmission juddered a bit for the entire life of the car (this was the automatic,) the turning radius was crazy wide, the low front spoiler caught on everything, and it drank gasoline like a fish. Plus when it got up in mileage it started getting expensive to fix, but in fairness we had driven it pretty hard by then.

I have a 2004 with the 6 speed manual. Just rolled past 126k miles this morning. So far the major components are doing great, OEM shocks, engine strong and transmission/clutch fine. Eventually it'll need a new clutch, but that's a wear item. I get around 21MPG combined.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

kmcormick9 posted:

Haters gonna hate.:whatup:

As a fellow V70 owner I applaud your efforts.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
Washed and Waxed

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

SuperDucky posted:

Any chance we can get that wallpaper sized? :fap:

You flatter me, Mr Ducky.

I took two that day from slightly different angles. Take your pick
http://i.imgur.com/JrgIs6y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8LsDBfk.jpg

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Kenny Rogers posted:

I picked both. The different filenames will have them show up at different times in my wallpaper rotation. :v:

I got some funny looks in the park taking pictures but I'm very pleased you're enjoying them. 2004 Volvo V70R, Black sapphire and Gobi interior (tan). A host of upgrades, the biggest being the ViVA Motorsports FMIC. 128k Florida miles.

Looking to the future, I am interested in the V50 Hybrid, if they bring it over. My only concern would be the reduced interior space vs. the V70, but I'd keep the 70 for IKEA trips. My wife is interested in a Tesla X, 7 seater, in a year or two. CTS-V's are slowly coming down in price, but the maintenance and gas costs are steep. There are always fantasy EU-only Audi wagons to dream about too, maybe if I hit the PowerBall.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Oxphocker posted:

If only I had the money... I'll just have to live with my 300hp V70R..
I enjoy mine, 303 HP (K&N lol).

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

splangtastic posted:

My new (to me) 2008 Mazdaspeed 3. A few mods and just a hair shy of 300whp. I love it
A few mods and you're at 300 wheel? I thought they were like 220-240 stock wheel?

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Wasn't that iPD's off-road one-off? I think I remember seeing it on their website at one point. Foglight is out.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Beautiful - the 2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon in its native habitat.

I would love a V, but my need for three carseats in the back mostly precludes me from one. Enjoy it!

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Tremek posted:

3 car seats will fit - maybe not 3 rear-facing (if you're stupid like me - we will briefly have 3 kids under 3 in December) but certainly 3 across front-facing. There are a couple front-facing car seats specifically designed to allow 3 across. We have one and while I don't like its LATCH system it would probably be fine with a seatbelt through it. Most of the time though the GL is those kids' Huckleberry.
Awesome, enjoy. We have, currently, two Radian/Sunshine Kids seats and they fit three across. Three of them is a forgone conclusion really.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

LloydDobler posted:

I've spent a lot of time fantasizing about selling all 3 of my current cars and buying one of those instead. I won't, but I fantasize about it.

For much cheaper you can buy the knockoff Polestar emblem or even the real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Oxphocker posted:

I don't have records on when it was last done from the PO.
It probably never was, factory interval is something like 120k. Everyone does their's before that though. Happy Hundred!

• Locked thread