Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
I grew up in the rear-facing backseat of two consecutive Taurus wagons saying :whatup: to the cars behind me.

Slept in this guy a few nights when my chips were down:

Now I love my awkward little Saabaru:

I lust for the OPInterceptor , as well as a coachbuilt 456 wagon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Stardotstar posted:

We've moved bathtubs, 5 people plus a dog, a full bedroom set... I love it. I'm a proud American station wagon owner, and I feel this is a safe place to share my love of my wagons.

Which one do/did you like more?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Stardotstar posted:

We bought the Legacy in Arizona, where 250hp was useful on a daily basis. However, after moving to Portland, about 200 of those ponies went woefully underused. This was definitely the better car to take up to Mt Hood Meadows for snow days. With studless snow tires it was the most planted, confident car I've ever driven in inclement weather. Its highway gas mileage (~24-26 mpg average) was mediocre, but obviously far better than an SUV or somesuch.

On the other hand, the handling balance of the BMW is far better, and has been utterly worry-free from a maintenance perspective -- no headgaskets or clogged oil strainers to worry about. ~170 hp is enough to get out of its own way and returns 29mpg highway, and snow tires and traction control mean it's plenty capable in the snow as well. The fact that the BMW cost less than 1/3 of the Legacy while retaining all the creature comforts (heated leather, good stereo, xenons, etc) and utility means that for us, it was a huge bargain and has been just plain better to own.

You must be the only person to sell a Subaru upon moving to Oregon.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

DreamOn13 posted:

Buying a 2006 Saab 9-2x Aero on Tuesday. Pumped.

Sup 06 9-2x Aero buddy. We cumulatively own almost 1% of all 2006 9-2x Aeros sold in the States, unless you're bringing it down from Canuckistan.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

One-off Rapide wagon built for Aston/Bertone enthusiast.

The Big Jesus posted:

Reading this thread has made me really wish I got an 05 Legacy GT Wagon instead of a non-GT sedan :(

Those are so impossible to find clean/low mileage now, and you pay out the nose for em :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Who needs a pickup truck?

Nice! 2.5?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Vigo327 posted:

Not to my knowledge. I mean, the water pump is still inside the timing cover and any water pump is bound to fail eventually. But as for something endemic to that motor and enough worse than average to be worth talking about, no. They do suffer a lot from their ownership demographic. Even i, as a professional tech, have let mine go 10k+ between the last two oil changes. Inside of the engine still looks fine from what i can tell @ 110k.

V70R is probably the wagon id most like to own at this point. I got my mom an s80 a couple years ago and ive found it surprisingly not a bitch to work on or keep up with. If they made a 1g s80 wagon THAT would be my #1 most wanted wagon.

Was the V70R sold with a manual in the States or Canada?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

Speaking of v70r's......

2005 Volvo V70R - $15000 (North Seattle)

I really love the look of that body style. Am I the only one who is kinda weirded out by the shifter?

I'm not that familiar with modern Volvo's - where does 110k fall in the lifespan, and what tends to become trouble around then?

These things really seem to have held their value.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm always amazed how aggro people get about hatchback vs wagon, and how many different qualifications different people give as to what makes the difference. I generally describe wagons as being able to hold full height cube-shaped objects, with hatchbacks having a slope that prevents this - but really, what does it matter?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The 0.1% of me that listens to Alice Cooper wants this: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/3826437573.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009

My two favorite things. After pursuing outdoorsy physical activity I drove home listening to public radio to drink some craft beer and something something PacNW stuff

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

So I am not sure where else to post this, but I'm looking for a new wagon so this seems like the right thread.

Currently, my girlfriend has a 2000 Outback with a little over 100k miles on it, but she hates driving it and I am not that big of a fan either, so its time for something new. I want something more modern/safer(kids in the next couple years is something that will prolly happen), but still entertaining enough that I will be happy driving it. Sadly, in the US that really limits my options. The only wagons out there seem to be Audi/VW(not interested in dealing with upkeep), Mercedes(never been a big fan), Subaru(too big, they seem closer in size to SUV's now), Volvo and BMW. So pretty much I am down to looking at BMW's(2009-ish 530/535/328xi) and maybe a Volvo(I love v70r's). I really haven't paid any attention to new Volvo's in a while, so I am not sure what to look for/stay away from. We test drove a 530xi, which both of us really liked and my brother bought one recently and seems happy with it. I still have to go check out a 535xi and a 328xi.

Anyone have experience with any of the newer BMW wagons? Or Volvo's? Am I missing any other options? It seems that all the other "wagons" on the market are either pretty much 5 door hatches or slightly smaller suv's.

TSX wagon?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The wife and I have been (very) casually shopping for a wagon to replace her Civic. So far we've thought about:

Volvo V50 T5 (nice interior, but Volvo gremlins make it a dubious value over a slightly slower lower trim Focus or Mazda 3)

Legacy GT wagon (more exciting to drive if I can talk her into 5MT, better cargo room than the others, prolific anecdotes about them blowing up are slightly scary, might be too similar to my Saabaru to be interesting)

IS300 Sportcross (I really like the way these drive, but they aren't that fast by today's standards and are really thirsty for the comparative performance - I'm not a fan of the preppy racer cluster, shift buttons and lever, and, like the Volvo, it doesn't hold that much cargo)

E46 touring is probably out because neither of us trust her to pay attention to the car and clue me in when it's time for some maintenance or preventive action.

I've found some really good examples of the first 3, but for some reason I'm captivated by the IS, probably because it's not something you see everyday. 16/23 for a small car that takes 7-7.5 seconds to 60 feels kind of stupid, though.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Has anyone ever driven one of these (the SS)? For some reason I was reading about them the other day and all the reviews were pretty glowing except for some visibility issues and the cheap interior.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Speaking of MPG, and since I constantly mental masturbate about the IS 300 Sportcross, I'd like to talk about what grinds my gears:

Why would you put a MPG gauge that goes to 80 mpg in a car EPA rated at 16/22 ? I can't let go of this. What do the designers think of their customers?

The BMW ones seem pretty dumb too, although I don't remember if they go all the way to 80.

</vent>

blk
Dec 19, 2009
So there's a petition for Mazda to bring the 6 wagon (with diesel and MT) to the states. I'd be happy with just the 6 wagon.

http://www.change.org/petitions/mazda-usa-bring-the-mazda6-sky-d-wagon-to-the-us-with-a-manual

Who knows if they'd listen, but go sign anyways.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Were the tourings ever available with the 2.5?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

dissss posted:

Sorry but how does that signal 'enthusiast'? To me that combo scream 'sales rep'

In Europe, yes. In the States, no.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Yes, it is really true. Volkswagen is not a universal budget brand here like it is in other parts of the world. For the past couple of decades it has been slightly upmarket from domestic and Japanese offerings in the US (although they are changing that with the new Jetta and Passat). Regardless, VWs are not typically used in business or fleet applications. Most fleet buyers can purchase an American car with a gas engine and automatic transmission at a significantly lower cost than a manual TDI. The low cost of gas here makes the economy of diesel less critical to the bottom line. Additionally, most Americans do not know how to drive a manual transmission, so you will not find them in fleet applications. Furthermore, most Americans have idiotic hangups about wagons because their moms drove them in the 1970s or something. Fleet and business shoppers who are interested in efficiency tend to buy the Prius or a domestic hybrid (Fusion). I've also seen several small businesses buy Smart cars as a promotional gimmick, as they're somewhat uncommon and can catch the eye of passerby here.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

I think the first comment was partially related to the manual part. In the US, you would be hard pressed to find *any* fleet vehicle(ignoring semi trucks/industrial equipment) that had a manual transmission, since the majority* of people in the US have no idea what the 3rd pedal is for.

That's what I said:

blk posted:

most Americans do not know how to drive a manual transmission, so you will not find them in fleet applications.

I hear you on not using a manual in Seattle. Driving in that city kills me. I can do it, but I don't enjoy it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

drat, missed that part, my bad.

But yea, I have been driving in seattle for 13 years or so now(drat it, I am getting old), and it was not as much of a problem till I moved out of ballard/greenwood and had to start commuting downtown via i5. Taking surface streets to get around is one thing, but gently caress having to use i5 at peak commuting times with a manual. the ~10 mile drive from my house to my office takes 45 minutes each way most days, and both my house and offices are blocks from on ramps.

What's maintenance / cost of ownership like on the DSG? Any expensive services? Does it survive into high mileage OK? I might buy a friend's DSG TDI Sportwagen for my wife if he moves abroad.

Oh yeah, did you ever buy that MR2?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

shane86 posted:

They made the 535iT for awhile though.. those are pretty bad rear end.

Is the USDM one Xdrive only?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tremek posted:

Album here, I'm not a talented photographer, sorry!

Where'd you find it? SoCal, Palm or Bay?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
That's my first choice for my wife, but they are expensive around here. Lowest local dealer would go on one for me was 23,5 for one with 41k miles. I like the styling and interior and the chassis is fine but for a car that isn't really sports or luxury it seems a little dear.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What part of the country are you in, if you don't mind me asking? Acuras tend to hold insane value here in the Northwest.

PS it is with the tech package.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Dopo posted:

Hey guys - long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking for a wagon somewhere in the $22,000-$30,000 range. So far I've started to look at the Outback, VW Sportwagen (diesel), and the Acura TSX Wagon. Outback has lower mpg but the AWD would be great if I end up renting a ski house with my buddies and driving up to Tahoe every week or two. The Acura would definitely stretch my budget a bit but could be doable if I get a good deal on the financing. Is there anything I should know about the VW? I've never had a diesel or turbo engine before. How's the maintenance? Any reason I should consider the non-diesel version other than price?

Of those three the TSX is my favorite. I'd consider the Jetta if it was covered by a good warranty during my ownership period. The Outback is ponderous and miserably large with poor visibility. Cons to the TSX are no AWD and a ho-hum drive train, but I think you'd be fine with snow tires and the road manners make up for it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What's the story on the Civic?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

sybir posted:

Appreciate it, and yeah, it was.

More wagons!

The '97 (RIP)

What lights are those? They look nice.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

That's good to know because I'm currently in the market for a wagon and right now the Mazda 6 and 5 are at the top of the list followed by the European counterparts which I'm actually kind of scared of getting into. Volvo V50s are pretty sweet so are BMW wagons but I dunno.

Also If I found a cheap and clean low mileage Caravan I'd probably have to jump on it.

I like the V50 too, but it's small and they didn't figure out a lot of the niggling issues until the end of the life cycle. You'd probably be better off with an equivalent Mazda 3 (same platform) or go one platform newer and get a current gen used Focus hatch.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tremek posted:

Neat car interwhat!

Unrelated but awesome:

V60 Polestar. Sounded good although we were in traffic and I was in the wrong car to bait him to open it up.

I really want one of those for the wife, way out of budget, though. Love that shade of blue and the styling.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

VacaGrande posted:

Doing what I bought it for. I love this thing.

I want one of those for my wife but we don't really neeeeeeeed a wagon for her yet.

Are the first gen V70Rs as much of a nightmare to maintain as the second gen?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh. Was Fuji the parent company of Toyota at any point? I thought for years they were.

No. Toyota owns 15-20% of FHI though (previously less, then they bought GM's share).

Off the top of my head I don't recall any other auto company owning a significant interest in Toyota ever.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

DropShadow posted:

Just buy it already. Once you've lived with a wagon, you won't want to go back to a sedan. The practicality isn't something you'll need everyday, but when you do, you'll be glad you have it.

Plus they all look better than their sedan counterparts.

My Saabaru is filling in our five door requirements for now - she has a Civic that has a lot of life left in it so we'll probably keep that until it feels too small.

blk fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 18, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Honestly, buying it is probably going to come at the end of 2016, if not early 2017. I've got a wedding to pay for first. Half of it was idle curiosity, the other half so I can sperg out on the options for a while. I could probably start looking at something in the ~15k range then, though. That would give me basically half a year to save up a down payment, and God willing I'll be making considerably more money by then, since I'll have had my CS degree for a year.

A luxury wagon just seems like the ideal car for my wife to drive. That way I get to drive all of the stupid, weird, and impractical cars I want while we have a comfortable, decently powerful, and practical wagon to go on road trips or whatever else with. I'm pretty sure I remember her liking the looks of both the CTS and the TSX, too.

I'm in the same boat but my wife really doesn't like the CTS styling. I'm OK with it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The only thing I've heard of them is the cabins can develop hard to fix water leaks

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Nice! I didn't realize they made a full kit. Definitely going on the wish list.

Do you

LloydDobler posted:

Yes, they should be. I did that conversion on my 122 already, made a night and day difference (heh). I got them as a kit with both lights and bulbs for $70 on amazon prime. You can even get them E-code, which I did. They have the modern hard cutoff beam pattern with the angle up to the right. Here's a link: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G72SKQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Do you have more pics of the 122 somewhere? It's so pretty!

blk
Dec 19, 2009

raseri posted:

I got myself a new wagon! A nice upgrade from my old '11 V70 D3

Volvo XC60 '14 D4 Auto
I love this car!

I love the way the XC60 looks; best crossover styling ever

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Hey wagon folks, what would you do? We want to get my wife a wagon so she can haul dog and babby and occasional long (up to 6') items with ease. I currently have a Saabaru but she doesn't like driving MT. We were looking at TSX wagons but want something with a little more guts and AWD.

Option 1: 3.0 Outback wagon with some suspension fuckery to improve handling

Option 2: E46 or E91 wagon and a cheap pickup when we need to move big stuff

E61 wagon is out, A6 avant is out, Legacy GT is out, CTS wagon is out, Volvo and Saab are out.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Solar Coaster posted:

My Outback thats posted a few above yours is a manual. It's great, and the suspension was modified to be slightly higher than normal. I got great clearance and the manual really makes it fun when thrashing it in the mountains.

Yeah, she wants AT only and the 2.5i with the MT is good, with the AT it's a little too slow, so I guess we'll be paying the premium for the Sweater Vest LL Bean edition.

Bluetooth will be a necessity and I don't want to hack up the stereo, so I'd really like to find a 2007-2009 since they have factory aux in and I can plug in a BT receiver to that and tap power somewhere.

I like the grilles of the 2007s better but the 2008s and 2009s have SI Drive which is a good thing I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tremek posted:

Why is the CTS wagon out? They're cheap and fit the criteria?

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/648220436/overview/

You can find higher mileage examples (but still under 100k) for low teens now with the 304hp V6 and AWD. Incidentally, they appear to be highly reliable too, which can't be said for either those Subarus or BMWs.

Wife thinks they're ugly :-/

E: Maybe I could convince her otherwise if I could find a toned down grille replacement. Too much chrome on the 3.6.

blk fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 9, 2015

• Locked thread