Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've had my heart set on an BMW wagon for a while, specifically a model such as this:

I trawl through autotrader every day to find the right one. Eventually my unicorn will turn up. Eventually. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

If it landed on American shores, would you really buy one? Would that not only be at the top of your list, but what you'd want to spend some serious cash on?

Unlike GM, who needs to expand its image, I don't think a performance wagon Audi or BMW does much for those respective companies' brand images.

I wouldn't but that's because it's an Audi.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Studebaker - a maker of good cars.

Anyway, I will be posting in this very thread a new to me wagon shortly. Once I take some photos. Es ist eine gute wagon.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Crosspost.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528284

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Maybe worth it. How many miles? Did you do a carfax? Can you work on it by yourself?

I love mine.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

ThirstyBuck posted:

What is your mileage like? Upkeep?

Well, I WAS getting 16-18, but then I seafoamed it and did a more complete service. I haven't done enough miles yet to get enough data for new mileage, but I expect it to go up. When the car was new, it did 22 highway (I have an auto 2WD), so you should see slightly less because of the 4WD, since the manual and auto get roughly the same as I recall.

Upkeep is surprisingly straightforward for a complex vehicle. It's pretty much all mechanical, save for electrical bits for windows etc. It's still a straight 6 upper level family car, not an uber luxury executive car, so it doesn't get quite as many fancy bits as an S-class or something with a V8.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Yugo was/is a fine automobile of remarkable intelligence in engineering and packaging. It's fun to drive, easy to maintain, and inexpensive to operate. The Yugo, in fact, was/is a far better car than most people care to admit or realize. It's only problem was that it was not a car designed for the American market, and Americans didn't know how to take it.

:colbert::colbert::colbert:

:tito::tito::tito::tito::tito:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

As a Mercedes wagon owner, I can only sing their praises of course.

On the other hand, P1800s are well known as high mileage capable automobiles. Though I believe that one is more properly called a shooting brake.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There's only one engine mod for those wagons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24afjVqm2Uw

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Old guy knocked on my front door the other day and offered to buy my Benz. Wife told him it wasn't for sale, but if he comes back......

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I notice that all these shots of Subarus are always of engines being hauled is there something going on that you need lots of new engines hmmmmmmm?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It turns out that the W124 is the perfect size for hauling a deep freeze.

• Locked thread