Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Unfortunately when people mention that they drive a station wagon, others immediately think of this:

And immediately preconceive their car, no matter what, to be lame because it is a “station wagon.” This is very unfortunate because when I hear wagon, or estate, or Avant, or Touring, I think of this:

Despite what many people think, station wagons are loving awesome. If you have one, don’t let anyone try and tell you otherwise.

Oh, I'm sorry. You didn't know why wagons take dumps on other cars all day long? Here's a few reasons for you:

-They get the same MPG’s, performance, and handling characteristics as their sedan siblings.
-Wagons have nice butts.
-99% of the utility that an SUV has, except in an infinitely better looking package.
-They have SPAAAAAACE for stuff…and lot’s of it!
-Expanded roof space for racks/boxes/carries/whatever.
-Pet friendly!
-You can sleep in them!
-Fast wagons are awesome and comical; the ultimate sleeper (think a B5 RS4)

So pretty much to sum up the above: wagons are awesome, despite what 99% of the car enthusiast/general population might think. I’ve come to realize there are two sides to it: You either understand the whole wagon thing and can appreciate them, or you don’t get it at all and never will. There’s no in-between.

So this thread is here for us Goons who have wagon fetishes, and maybe will open some other’s eyes to the awesomeness that is the wagon. This thread is to talk about your wagon, share what you’ve done (or are doing) to it, yap about all things wagon, fap about all things wagon, share photos of why wagons are awesome, share photos of awesome wagons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
To start this thread off on the right foot, meet Lilly; my Avant.

2001 Audi S4
2.7 litre twin turbo V6
6 speed manual

I love her very much. And yes, I did give her a girls name. :colbert:
As of right now the Avant has the following modifications:

-H&R Coilovers
-Miro 111 wheels in 18x8.5 wrapped with Hankook Ventus V12 tires
-Ecode headlights

Future mods include:

-Carbon Fiber interior trim (to replace the lovely wood trim)
-Full stage 3 (about 500 crank HP)
-Recaro seats

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Lot's of awesome wagons being posted in here. I had no idea that this many Goons had wagons, let alone would like the wagon thread! This makes me so happy :glomp:

Confused_Donkey posted:

Current:

Current again (before the black interior swap:

Hot poo poo that thing is awesome!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Went on a big wagon drive yesterday. Started at Limerock Park and drive all the way up rte. 7 to Stratton. I snapped this along the way (crappy cell picture)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Yea, the E Class AMG wagons are very rare and still command a premium.

I was reading some article about them and Mercedes says that the target demographic for that car has an estimated income of something like $650,000+ :eek: Long story short, it's a car created for a VERY niche market, and each one now is custom ordered/made.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Bumping the thread because more people need more station wagon awesomeness.

I used mine to pick up a tree! :downs:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Why do you have to poo poo up the thread with something so pretty? God, you're a jerk.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I made my wagon sound mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9aR-BTiGK4

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Umm yea, I'm just going to leave this here... :hawaaaafap::gizz:

A Sprint Blue B8 S4 Avant. I think the wagon thread needs to be closed after this.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Good lord. :stare: It's...it's...beautiful.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

InitialDave posted:

Why do they have an "S" with 5% more power? If it'll output that with enough reliability for them to sell/warranty it, why not just sell that one?

Yeah, I know, "But these go up to 11..."

You just answered your own question good sir!

They probably know if they hold back a tiny bit they can get some people to pay for it, and they people that buy this car can easily afford that. It's like free money for MB in a sense. The new E63 AMG Wagon is just at 11 already, it's like MB is giving you an option to have it go to 12.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 10, 2013

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

Speculative render of a Tesla Model S wagon (via http://www.theophiluschin.com/?p=4407)

I have an unusually large stiffie for this car. I pray the automotive gods let it be built.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Because wagons are awesome. :colbert:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Playing paintball using 2 Audi RS4 Avants, that's pretty AI and supremely awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxhif43pLJ0

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

netwerk23 posted:

Wife says, let's rent a UHaul van to take the banquette back. Rent? Why?

Need space? V70R has it. Need more? Put the rear seats down. Need another 6"? Remove the rear seats. Need max space? Fold the front seat down!

These are the best Volvos. My mom has one (a regual V70 :( ) and the thing has a hilarious amount of room for poo poo. The R models are just fantastic looking.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

James Woods posted:

I spent the weekend breaking in a new set of Falkens in the mountains around Mt. Tam and Skyline Drive. The new rubber combined with the Bilstein HDs and Powerflex bushings means I can finally turn all the power from that V8 into speed in the turns instead of just a cacophony of noise and smoke. I managed to run down a GTR and a 911 Turbo on the roads up to Woodside where all the rich .com guys take their toys on the weekends and trust me, it wasn't for lack of their trying. Now I'm off to Costco with the wife. I loving love this car.

PLEASE tell me that is sporting an M5 swap...

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

James Woods posted:

Sadly not yet, just a well maintained M62TUB44. I am keeping my eye out for a S62 and Getrag Type D to do just that but that will have to wait for a while as I have four maybe going on five other cars I'm building and this is my reliable DD/work vehicle. There is however a sale on blocks at the Pick N Pull going on this weekend and I'll be keeping my eye out for a M73 because I've been wanting to rebuild a V12 to put into something...

I approve of every bit of this post. :golfclap:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Confused_Donkey posted:

I uhh, kinda bought another Wagon...

1988 BMW 325i

Bought it in Germany, drove all around Europe for 2 weeks, and now its just a few days away from hitting the US shore. 25 years I waited to bring one of these back!

Should go nicely with my 1992 E34 M5 Touring.

Say what now?! You're importing that? Sooo jealous over here! I demand more photos once it lands.

I'm patiently waiting to bring an RS2 stateside, needless to say I have a bit more waiting to do :smithicide:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cream_Filling posted:

If the Flex is out for looking "weird," then the Transit Connect is really out, right?

priznat posted:

The ford C-Max hybrid is pretty neat looking. Has their funky new aston-martinesque grille.

Cream_Filling posted:

Yes but the SWB Transit Connect is nearly a foot shorter than the Mazda 5. If you're going to include the Mazda 5 or Kia Rondo, then I don't think it's that much of a stretch in terms of definitions since they're all minivans anyway.

Obviously it's still more a commercial vehicle, but with the upcoming facelift and marketing for the passenger version, it seems like an interesting alternative / comedy option.

Franco Caution posted:

We have both a 2006 and a 2012 Mazda 5. They are good on gas, they drive great, and they can fit 6 people in a pinch. Highly recommended.

These are NOT wagons or Avants or Touring or any loving extension of the "wagon" world. These do NOT belong in this thread.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Steve French posted:

The real point is that who the gently caress cares what the exact defining line of a wagon vs not wagon is?

I don't give a poo poo about the exact defining line; the point is this is a thread for WAGONS in the traditional sense. Not hatchbacks, sedans, trucks, vans, mini-vans, coupes, or whatever-the-fucks have previously been posted in the thread (referring to the c-max, or that ford van thing).

It's starting to turn into the Post AI pictures thread before a photo was required with each post. Now, let's shut up about poo poo that isn't WAGON related, and post more wagon poo poo. Thank you.

My wagon being all dirty and snowy:

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 22, 2013

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cream_Filling posted:

Especially the ST:

I want that car VERY badly.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Steve French posted:

I'd really like there to be a Legacy GT wagon in the US again.

The Legacy GT Spec-B wagon is just :awesome:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

kmcormick9 posted:

All the doubters at costco said it couldnt be done and to come back with a truck.

Haters gonna hate.:whatup:

gently caress the haters. The first gen V70 had literally the LARGEST hatch opening ever conceived.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Here, have more wagon. Click for BIIIIIIIIIG

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Didn't realize this was the "The Gauge Cluster Thread - Mo Dials For Yo Cluster"

Can we please try and keep on topic? Thanks!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I saw a beige 2013 E63 AMG 4-matic wagon pop up in the last 3 months. It had 6,000 miles and was selling for about $65k (USD) in Florida. That would have been a great purchase. :getin:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Took some pictures of my station wagon and a friends. Mine is yellow, his is silver.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

Because they're not 335's.

:rimshot:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
My wagon doin' wagon stuffs in Key Largo :3:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Tremek posted:

Bought it yesterday and drove it home. It's the best car. :3: '12, 32k miles, auto, Recaros, I'm the second owner. I flew down thinking it was a manual and wondering how I would be explaining this to my wife, but it turned out to be auto and That's Okay.

Thoughts/feelings on the GL? I quite prefer the look of the GL over the ML550 my buddy has that we use for ski trips; it's something from the future. I call it "The Enterprise"

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

bacon! posted:

I joined the club!

Awesome, welcome! I've always loved the butts of those cars.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Tremek posted:

Great moments in wagon supremacy:

This reminds me of those Bud Light "Real Men Of Genius" radio ads you'd hear.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
New shoesesess for the wagon. I quite like them :downs:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Stefan Prodan posted:

You don't live in NC do you? I saw an S4 with that exact paint color and a vanity plate in the Charlotte airport.

Nope, I do not. I'm actually in lower CT and, oddly, also have a vanity plate.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Killstick posted:

I hate stanced cars in general but that one just does it so well, i don't know if it's the fender flares or what.

His car is pretty far from "stanced"

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

allroad “sport” badge

That's not the right badge, rear end in a top hat :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

leica posted:

A special kind of idiot. The truck is a pile of poo poo Isuzu S-10 so I guess he figures no one would take it. He still puts his keys there, I've checked.

So you continue to move it, right?

• Locked thread