Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stump
Jan 19, 2006

Wagons Estates awesome.

I had a big sheddy french one.

After a foolish foray into saloons I'm back.

2.5 Years. 45,000 Miles. 150 horsepower, 6 speeds. 37.7/43.4/54.2 max/avg/min mpg tank to tank. My 320d. It needs a pile of maintainance but I love it.

Awesome ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xgakhV3hEw

Ones that are best not to get familiar with, but are still sweet wagons:

stump fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

BoostCreep posted:

Thread tag is a lie. I see no intercourse in any of these wagon pictures.
Mine had non consensual intercourse with a deer.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Seriously though, I own 2 wagons, unfortunately both fwd diesel shitboxes but I'd struggle to ever bring myself to buy a sedan, they're not nearly as versatile.
If it's it's going to be FWD and diesel and a shitbox being an estate goes a long way to redemption!

InitialDave posted:

Hah, I had my dad's silver E91 parked at my place for most of last month. If we knew someone with a silver E36, we could have done a full generational line up of 3-series Tourings!
I think I somebody around here had a 4cyl silver e36 touring?

The new F30 touring is nice, and the 328i engine sounds pretty amazing. Large turbo petrol with economy like a my early 2000's diesel. Yes please!

2002 touring, alhtough it's pretty much a hacthback

e21 - ditto. I think it was just a concept.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Worked over 335d? Did you get them as a touring in the states?

Edit: Auto only I think, drat.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I miss my bora (jetta) saloon everytime I see one. They are a handsome car. With a TDI lump they are a good drive providing you don't intend on going round corners with any gusto, if you can look past the VW reliability of that era.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Friar Zucchini posted:

Wagons don't have forward-facing third row seats though
The French disagree...

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The creation of the E30 3 Series touring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF0CUaS0czk
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=28225

stump
Jan 19, 2006

dissss posted:

I'd agree. Diesel has its place, but that place isn't in cars that are supposed to be fun.

While it may be true (I don't agree, personally) that a fun car shouldn't be diesel, that does not mean that a diesel can't be fun. It'd be a poo poo if all fun cars were diesels, but even worse if economy couldn't be had a in fun cars.

With Ford trying seemingly making great waves in the US hot hatch market they may be trying to differentiate themselves and instead compete against the Golf GTD instead. They may also be trying to change peoples opinion of diesel to something that can be fun, something which the MKIV Golf GTTDI, BMW e46 330d, Mondeo TDCI etc did in europe, Skoda VRS did in europe. Although saying that these cars (with the exception of he Skoda) had petrol brothers to be compared to (usually relatively favourably), it does seem like a ballsy move to forgo petrol altogether.

On the subject, my Chevrolet (Daewoo) Lacetti Wagon work hack has both reignited my interest in petrol engines, and made me wish this car didn't have one.

It's cheap, it's roomy, and seems bombproof. The interior design and plastics are hilariously bad, but the seats are super comfy. It even handles acceptably, although the tyres are poo poo... 4th gear 60 mph one wheel peels shouldn't be possible, even in the wet. Luckily it's now getting fitted with Nokian M+S tyres, and going to 195/65/15 profile from 195/55/15 will give a bit more ground clearance, and hopefully that'll solve it's bad behaviour on low traction surfaces. The only downside is the 1.6 110hp engine, which is dog slow below 4000rpm. It was kinda fun for the first wee while, but on my typical 200 mile wet cross country drive it gets pretty frustrating. Stick in a 90hp diesel and it would be an nice motoring appliance. It'll eek out 40 mpg (UK) on a good day, but i've seen 25 mpg out of a tank with some fast windy A roads and single track mixed in. Saying that, it's meant to be a car for old people going to the shops, so performance and economy aren't really a thing for the target market.

stump fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 20, 2014

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Meh, the Lacetti is decent second hand for the money... we paid £1500 for an '05 with 30k on it. It doesn't hold a candle to a focus, but you can't get a focus in that condition for that money. If it was my money I'd have bought an early e46 320d, but for a company hack it does the job. The only real letdown for me is the engine.

We had a '04 Renault Megane diesel estate before, which was much nicer in many ways, but that was horribly fragile, 50% of the electronics, most of the suspension and the air con unit were all hosed at 80,000 miles. The engine was good, but it didn't handle any better than the Lacetti in my opinion, and the ride quality was worse. The air con unit was an engine out job to replace so we scraped it and bought the Lasheddy.

Mind bogglingly, some of my colleagues who are used to driving diesels, and don't understand a car won't blow up if you tickle the redline complain the Lacetti is slower than our 110hp 2.5 TD Ford Ranger because the power delivery is so high in the rev range, and they are afraid to properly wring its neck.

It's hard to compare petrols and diesels equally , but I'd take a slightly slower diesel over a petrol any day because I prefer the power band for day to day driving.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

blk posted:

Were the tourings ever available with the 2.5?

Yep. Could be had with as a 316i right up to the 325i.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've love those little t5's. They can be had pretty cheap in the UK, I've been tempted a few times to replace my 320d with one.

• Locked thread