Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Magi is an Arabian Nights themed shounen series written/drawn by Shinobu Ohtaka and serialized in Weekly Shounen Sunday. Many of the characters are superficially based on characters of the same name from Arabian Nights, showcased most explicitly in several of our main characters. And here they are:

Aladdin
Our main character, who is a "magi" and specializes in magic manipulation. He is naive and doesn't know much about the world, but still seeks out new experiences. He is friends with a djinn named Ugo, who he summons from a flute. The story begins when he meets...

Alibaba
...our second protagonist. He doesn't have any particular strengths or weaknesses, being well balanced in most areas. Despite coming off initially as greedy and selfish, he possesses a strong sense of justice. Although he initially appears to be a simple cart driver, he hides a fairly grandiose past.

Morgiana
A former slave, she possesses immense physical strength which is due to her "Fanalis" lineage. It is her hope to one day track down her lost tribe. In Arabian Nights, she was a slave who was involved in the tale of "Alibaba and the Forty Thieves".

Ren Hakuryuu
Fourth prince of the Kou Empire, probably a big fan of Zuko from Avatar. Although the Kou Empire is ostensibly built up as an antagonistic force, Hakuryuu allies himself with our heroes to accomplish his own goals.

Sinbad
King of Sindria, and one whom the other characters find themselves rallying under. Although he is not in direct opposition to the Kou Empire, he knows of the dark forces that are backing them and thus is attempting to gather up as many forces as possible to fight back.

It's a pretty fun series, generating plenty of discussion in the Misc Shounen Thread. The characterization is decent, the action quite accomplished even for a shounen series (it can be pretty brutal sometimes, too), and rife with comedy that would make One Piece proud. Do you read any of the Big Three shounen series? What about Fairy Tail? You could do a whole lot worse than Magi (and I'd say it's better than at least three of those!). Lately it's had aspirations for being a Serious War Epic and thus far I'd say it's succeeded with flying colors.

Scans can be found here and probably most other online readers.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Nate RFB posted:

Ren Hakuryuu
Fourth prince of the Kou Empire, probably a big fan of Zuko from Avatar. Although the Kou Empire is ostensibly built up as an antagonistic force, Hakuryuu allies himself with our heroes to accomplish his own goals.

oh god as soon as you pointed out Zuko from Avatar I can't help but start noticing a HUGE number of parallels between Magi and Avatar now. fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Are we discussing the anime in here as well? If so it'd be best to specifically label spoilers - I imagine there are quite a few people who are [at the moment] anime-only.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Let's see... you have a main character who is a log younger than everyone else, has a lot of special powers, was destined for greatness out of the gate, has an abnormally large friend he can use to fight or ride, and can fly. A headstrong girl who fights with her feet. A swordsman who is bit of a wise act and despite trying to be "cool" winds up as comic relief. They even just recently showed that they have the various elements as magical affinities. Oh and yeah a scarred dude from the "evil empire".

Yeah.

Sarcophallus posted:

Are we discussing the anime in here as well? If so it'd be best to specifically label spoilers - I imagine there are quite a few people who are [at the moment] anime-only.
This thread is for the manga. Seems like there is a lot more people reading the manga than watching the anime at this point.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 16, 2012

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I've been following this and I'm looking forward to the aftermath of the Kou emperor's death, especially given how crazy most of the people in power are. The worst part is that Hakuen's brother from the most recent chapter seems pretty level-headed, but they'll probably clash due to their ideals. :( The translation group seems to have a pretty good release pace, every time I check up on Kissmanga there's a new chapter!

The recent chapters have been great in all departments, I certainly wasn't expecting the return of "the most popular hostess" gag :D I also loved Ali Baba's recruitment of the monster he was fighting and more Cassim moments, his relationship with Cassim is one of my favorite aspects of his character.

Morgiana's my favorite character, all her non-fight scenes (Zagan's Dungeon :gonk:) just bring a smile to my face and she's adorable when she's embarassed. :3: She's also awesome when she fights.

How far back should spoiler? My spoilers cover events from about the last 10-ish chapters. Edit: changed spoilers.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 16, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Latest scanlated chapters and up should all be spoiler tagged (so, 146 and up). Everything else does not need to be tagged.

E: This tumblr has some of the omake stuff (I think?) from some of the volumes. They're pretty funny.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 16, 2012

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
This series has really hooked me.

I think it's kind of a strength that the main characters don't actually group themselves together until the 81st chapter.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I'm glad this thread was made. I sort of hate generic shonen like Magi but something about it is extremely charming to me. Maybe it's the crazy all-white middle eastern cast or the bizzaro shota Aladdin, but something about it just really hooks me. I'm watching the anime as well as reading it, and while I don't particularly think it's good or has any real lasting merit I just can't keep myself away from it.

Maybe I'm odd for that, but I've slogged through worse manga and I really like the cast for reasons unknown even to me. I admittedly like the really moe character designs, maybe I'm just a softie for stuff like that.

laplace fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 16, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I signed onto this manga thinking theyd be dungeon diving all the time and the entire thing would be like the first 20 chapters. Then they forgot all about the mysterious dungeons and did generic shounen bullshit, so I had to peace out. The first bit was really fun, I wish it could have kept it up.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The nice thing about Magi is that it's fairly difficult to tell which direction it'll take. Like you have the dungeon diving at the beginning, but then it switches to war and political intrigue, then to shonen exams, and then maybe another dungeon or 2 again in the middle of all of it. It's also not afraid to split up the main characters vast distances from each other and focus on each of them individually, such as what's happening right now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Meme Emulator posted:

I signed onto this manga thinking theyd be dungeon diving all the time and the entire thing would be like the first 20 chapters. Then they forgot all about the mysterious dungeons and did generic shounen bullshit, so I had to peace out. The first bit was really fun, I wish it could have kept it up.
For me it was the opposite; the dungeon stuff at the beginning was OK but felt pretty generic. It was when the world opened up and you had all of this political poo poo come into the picture that I thought oh hey this is fun.

E: vvv Fiiiiiine

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 17, 2012

Diospace
Apr 27, 2012
Can you add Sinbad to the OP please! Since you already added Hakuryuu.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
New chapter!

Dammit Hakuryuu, you're sounding a lot like Hody.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That family is pretty hosed up.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.
Might be helpful to get a mod to label the title as (Manga) or something so people watching the anime don't click here and accidentally get spoiled.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sledeau posted:

Might be helpful to get a mod to label the title as (Manga) or something so people watching the anime don't click here and accidentally get spoiled.

It has the Manga tag, shouldn't that be enough?

e: Looking around, it seems most Manga threads have it in the title too. Disregard me.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 17, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Eh can't hurt to have it as well, I suppose.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Oh, yeah. I somehow unconsciously overlook the tags to threads.

Alibaba. I tend to think of Magi as a Arabian nights themed Dragonball, and to me, Alibaba is pretty much the Krillin of the series. Out of the mini-arcs we've had so far, though, I liked his quite a bit. Hopefully he'll manage to settle into more of his own, unique role -- basically, I really hope he keeps that beast he bought as a pet and a side character. :getin:

Let's compare the manga to the anime a little bit; what are people's thoughts? I sort of really liked episode 1: they left out a lot of the non-important stuff of the first few chapters, because to me, it felt like the manga was groping around and trying to find its place a little bit until Balbadd arc, where we of course get introduced to the current antagonists. I can see us getting to that arc really fast. I enjoyed ep2 as well, but was disappointed as it felt like the animation quality had taken quite a dip.

Mangawise, anyone know what chapter the non-scanlated manga is on?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Can Of Worms posted:

Dammit Hakuryuu, you're sounding a lot like Hody.
Dude watched his brother disembowel himself to save his life while half his face was melted off. Then it turned out his mother planned it all. I think his reactions are a bit more justified than perpetuating a cycle of racial violence. His stated enemy is an evil organization that seems to want to cause chaos and violence just in order to overthrow some sort perceived natural order.

I do like how it's very unclear right now what'll happen with him.

Aladdin's stated goals for Alibaba seems pretty unique compared to what everyone else is doing. There's various people in the Kou empire that seems to think that what they should be doing is to literally conquer the entire world and enforce peace. Scheherazade also seems to be doing something similar with not-Rome, though they don't seem as expansionist. Magic-country that I can't spell wants to implement a magocracy and kill all muggles or something. Sinbad use his personal military strength and real-politic to do what he thinks is for the best. Someone appears to have been isolationist enough to physically cut not-Africa in half. Then Al Sarmen wants to manipulate different groups to cause conflict and chaos.

Finally Aladdin tells Alibaba that he doesn't have to rule a nation or conquer the world, he just have to be someone worthy of emulation. He's supposed to conquer his own fear of failure, overcome his own faults and act as a beacon of hope in a world that's filled with various competing forces pulling things apart at the seams.

It's also hilarious that Aladdin's special attack is literally friendship-no-jutsu that he can even apply across multiple people.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

That family is pretty hosed up.

Its the Imperial family where everyone is pretty much are fighting for themselves, so it is expected for them to be pretty hosed up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

They were supposedly going to meet back up after a year, right? Guess they want to show a few chapters in the middle before then.

Sledeau posted:

Mangawise, anyone know what chapter the non-scanlated manga is on?
I believe the current chapter is 158.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Looks like they are finally getting to the important parts of Magno-whatsis. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Magi/Vol-015-Ch-149--Titus-Alexius?id=144714

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

Looks like they are finally getting to the important parts of Magno-whatsis. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Magi/Vol-015-Ch-149--Titus-Alexius?id=144714

Before reading the chapter, I was surprised we'd already spent a few chapters in this mage-ocracy without seeing a muggle concentration camp or something, and then when the last page of the chapter popped up I thought "yeah, there's the Magi I know"*.

*I also thought this towards the end of the chapter when he groped a wizard.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

"All of the main characters assembled"... except I don't think I recognize a few of them. Anyway, Alladin's new power is pretty cool.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Sledeau posted:

Oh, yeah. I somehow unconsciously overlook the tags to threads.

Alibaba. I tend to think of Magi as a Arabian nights themed Dragonball, and to me, Alibaba is pretty much the Krillin of the series.

I just got into this a few days ago and recently caught up but, I dunno from all the focus he gets Alibaba seems like the hero of the story a lot of the time. And he's only really come across as weak in like the last arc or two, and it's clear that is something that's gonna be resolved soon.

I'm kinda hoping Hakuyuu doesn't end up going full Sasuke on us, but I have faith that isn't gonna happen.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Started watching the anime and been liking what I been watching so am going to start reading the manga but I have one question, is this a weekly series or a monthly series?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Started watching the anime and been liking what I been watching so am going to start reading the manga but I have one question, is this a weekly series or a monthly series?

It is weekly.

If the scans keep up at this pace we'll be caught up to the raws in about a week and a half.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Sarcophallus posted:

It is weekly.

If the scans keep up at this pace we'll be caught up to the raws in about a week and a half.

Oh cool thanks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

A twist!

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Love how quickly the group is catching up.

Great reveal at the end of the last chapter too and very well done.

Sled
May 20, 2004

drat, that reveal was something else.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I thought it was broadcast pretty clearly when the guy was first introduced. It's the same thing that happened to Aladdin when he was entering the checkpoint.

I'm just wondering if Titus is supposed to be Scheherazade or if he's a new magi. I don't think the timing really works out for that, but Aladdin does seem to think that he's a girl.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Algid posted:

I'm just wondering if Titus is supposed to be Scheherazade or if he's a new magi. I don't think the timing really works out for that, but Aladdin does seem to think that he's a girl.

I wouldn't put it past Scheherazade to sneak into Hogwarts the same way Aladdin has, that's what I'm betting the deal is anyway. Both of them have an identical mole under their right eye, and Titus Alexis sounds like he's from not-rome. I was thinking maybe Judal needs a replacement now that he has become depraved and I doubt he's a new magi, otherwise even mentioning the three magi limit (and that Aladdin is special because he breaks it) seems pointless. Fairly sure it's miss 1001 nights though.

I'm more worried about how well the people in the crowd can see at this point.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 20, 2012

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

I wouldn't put it past Scheherazade to sneak into Hogwarts the same way Aladdin has, that's what I'm betting the deal is anyway. Both of them have an identical mole under their right eye, and Titus Alexis sounds like he's from not-rome. I was thinking maybe Judal needs a replacement now that he has become depraved and I doubt he's a new magi, otherwise even mentioning the three magi limit (and that Aladdin is special because he breaks it) seems pointless. Fairly sure it's miss 1001 nights though.

I'm more worried about how well the people in the crowd can see at this point.
He's definitely from not-Rome, that was mentioned in 150. I'm just saying that Scheherazade showed up in Alibaba's pov, but I'm guessing that if Alibaba got to the coliseum really early, and she left soon after that, the 6 month time skip can account for what's happening.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They never confirmed that she was a magi. Sinbad simply said that it seemed like she was due to her role and history.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Well, somewhat of an anti-climax, but it should tie into a presumed jump back into Alibaba's story fairly well.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Probably not as interesting as introducing a new magi, but it does make one wonder now if magi can give the ability to use the rukh in surroundings to followers or something. Gotta wonder if he's a king candidate too (woo a king candidate that isn't from anime China), given he seems pretty experienced in combat and is the subordinate of a magi.

On second thought, its probably more likely he's actually the magi and she's exploiting him.

Sled fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And that's how you utterly defuse drama, Meow.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.
Aaaand they've pumped out another one!

Chapter 153

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ConanThe3rd posted:

And that's how you utterly defuse drama, Meow.
You never know, it could be a loving magic cat.

• Locked thread