Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Zewle posted:

I nominate Talk Radio Hero Mark Levin.

You could use trig functions to map when he'll have a NPR whisper or be shouting. He is so goddamned creepy; he sounds and talks like the camera voice from facialabuse.com

To me he sounds like some radio signal from the 1930s to the point that it's almost haunting and unreal, like I'm half imagining that at some point Rod Serling's going to narrate something about it originating from The Twilight Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It's not though? That idiot brought a gun into Mexico and is surprised he got arrested? There are huge signs as you approach the border that say ALL GUNS ARE ILLEGAL DONT BRING GUNS HERE YOU WILL GO TO JAIL FOREVER. It's impossible to not know that you can't bring any guns at all into Mexico. They make it really really clear.

According to some sites I've looked at, you can take a rifle into Mexico for hunting if you get the proper permits from Mexican authorities and follow some rules on what kind of weapon and how much ammo.

The 'no gun' warnings might be to dissuade gun owners from just casually taking weapons with them.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Oddly enough, I seem to remember Rush Limbaugh railing against polls back during the Bush administration because he always cited such public opinion polls were completely misleading because the questions were always along the lines of, "Would you vote for Bush in 2004?", to which his reply was that unless people are given a specific candidate they would internally vote their personal fantasy favorites in the poll rather than realistic or specific candidates.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
For me, 50s-style Retro Animation would have 2 characters running while the passing the same looped background multiple times and being cartoonishly affected by the laws of physics. Also, a mouse pulling a giant mallet from behind his back and walloping a cat with it.

Give me that, because it works, too: The cheese represents gold, mouse trap is taxes, the mouse represents true patriots, the mallet represents guns, and the cat represents the militant enforcers of the Feds' authority.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Sephyr posted:

If you're interested, this documentary from 1999 is a sobering

The last part of what you quoted reminded me of a book I was reading on comparative legal systems throughout the world and a thing about how Japan dealt with regional law enforcement during some cultural changes of a century ago.

If I remember correctly, what we'd probably consider a 'sheriff' and their family would be moved around the country to work in various regions for relatively short periods of time. I think they said the logic was that so long as a constant stream of new peacekeepers were always rotated in an out, there was less and less chance for corruption to occur, less chance for the law officers to become abusive with their power, to not have the chance to get 'too' familiar with their locals they were there to police, etc.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The response to the Gallop poll reminds me of something from the Philip K Dick book, "Radio Free Albemuth"

A survey is sent out from the gov't where the protagonist figures that there is no way you can answer some of the multiple choice questions without having your answer potentially used against you looking like a communist or anti-American.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I could have sworn the talk has been that the Sajak show event actually is what catapulted him through a larger threshold of public awareness, despite his existing radio popularity.

I wonder if there is some alternate reality where no one from the audience started to flip out at him, resulting in him not having the ability to present himself as a polarizing figure as much as he did within a few years.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

Yeah, Sinclair is notorious for forcing it's stations to run right-wing propaganda.

I wonder if that that had anything to do with their dropping the TheCoolTV subchannel on their digital stations about a year ago without much explanation. It was a great MTV replacement that was not only free, but played a great assortment of videos of every genre.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I could sort of also see that exchange as more like a Rush and the caller were almost saying:
"No, I don't think she feels any guilt, at all, for her hand in this."
"You're right. How selfish."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
So, I'm envisioning something like Conservative No-Magic School Bus, (The Only Good Poet is a) Dead Poet Society meets Peggy Hill sort of thing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

JerksNeedLoveToo posted:

Holy poo poo, both Rush Revere and that horse are riding deep into Uncanny Valley.

Look at that cover art.

That cover makes me think two things:

1) Angela Anaconda flashbacks...
2) His entire body looks to have the exact tubular shape and color of a hot dog.
edit: drat, he looks so mirthless in that picture for a kids' book.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 8, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
During the 2000 primaries, though, I seem to remember at least a few vocal conservative voices really hating on McCain, though. I think Limbaugh, especially, hated him. But I wonder how much of that was due to talk at the time of him being seen as a sort of moderate Republican which made him more appealing to liberals.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

RadicalR posted:

Wasn't the whole King Arthur a girl shtick something the Japanese came up with?

I think there was a DC comic in the 80s called Camelot 3000 where all the characters are reincarnated and I think Sir Tristan comes back a woman.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think it's more because he didn't choose to wipe out the Bajorans when he had the chance.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I do sort of wonder what would happen if a single strong Christian-themed church organization was formed to pour all the conservative power and influence into rather than having it split up between all the various Judeo-Christian branches that exist and what the hell it would look like.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

The_Rob posted:

It just baffles me that the Highest rated news channel is a white supremacy channel.

There's a bit from the documentary, "Blood in the Face" where they've got a meeting from various white separatist spokesmen and one of them discusses about how they'll never get their own channel on TV, but to get the message out they're to use a tactic of exchanging their video tapes between themselves to share with friends and family to bring them on board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a844g6dz_x0
(8m10s mark)

There's one thing in all that that gives me the chills, and that's the guy who is giving the advice on bringing your friends into it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYg_9U1_9oE
(50 second mark)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Rushcoin ads will show up in the show, where they'll send you a voucher good for Rushcoins that you can obtain without using a computer to get.

Also, Rushcoins will have to be the exact opposite of bitcoins where instead of 1 btc being worth a $100, it's $1 for 100 r$c. You can be a r$c MILLIONAIRE for only an investment of a few thousand dollars!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm not sure of the political or religious affiliations, but I seem to recall about 20 years ago there was a bit of a case of a couple that were giving low-income women money to have their tubes tied.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/labruzzo_sterilization_plan_fi.html

I did find this trying to find the story

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
There's also a thing that I noticed, too, where the pundits would cite things like, "You see how they're attacking this conservative on this talk show or whatever in their comedy bits?! They'd never do that to a liberal!"

Then, when they DO it to a liberal, it's either ignored or flipped around to prove they're right because, "You see how unpopular and corrupt this liberal figure is now that even the leftist media is mocking them! They're finally waking up, people!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm pretty sure that's happened more than once but if memory serves THE time that everybody talks about happened on Crossfire. The premise of that show was they had a conservative host and a liberal host and they would invite two people on the show of opposing opinions to verbally duke it out. This generally went exactly as well as you'd expect but on a special edition they invited John Stewart on alone apparently with the intent on destroying him thanks to how much he makes fun of and criticizes the GOP.

Along the lines of that: A few years ago didn't some pundits bring up the his old post-9/11 episode where he got a bit emotional during a monologue and started just trying to insult and humiliate him for his response to the events?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm really surprised that someone hasn't tried to push a really quick and cheap Bengazi movie at this point.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Star Man posted:

I don't get it. What's so special about the number 299?

I have NO clue, but part of me wants to say it might be a 300 reference to all but the one guy who died, but that seems stretching it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I ended up watching about 10 minutes of what looked like a serious Fox News interview going on about NSA investigating Chinese hacking with only the closed captions on. Then, in the background and all through the interview, they kept highlighting a guy on set slamming a computer and breaking it apart in comedic fashion attempting to interrogate it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
No, it apparently was some Fox News staff guy doing the crazy computer breaking stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW58N4RrT1A

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Not only that but we have such a hard on for taking them away from people we give away free Obamaphones for the express purpose of having more people to take them away from.

This is what they want, though! They want the ONLY way you can have anything is if 'Emperorbama' is the one doling it out to you! You can't HAVE nice things that you earn on your own! You will take whatever the government wants and LIKE IT and get on your knees and thank them for blessing you with a phone they can use to monitor your every move!

Dependency, people. (tapping sound of notecards)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm not veg in any way but I've always thought I would love to take someone up on this someday. Send them a weekly report of every chance I had to eat an animal along with a reminder that I avoid eating animals out of sense of a personal values rather than an actual counting of how many of them I've saved by not having a chicken nugget, chiding them for not having the same dedication to their word and personal values seeing as they haven't had a massive coronary yet.

This almost needs to be a horror movie in the vein of Seven where some insane murderous Liberal is killing people based on smug Tshirt memes.

Some poor bastard is found dead in his apartment, tied to a chair with his mouth pried open, piles of food on his plate.

"What the hell happened to this guy?"
"Our killer was kind enough to leave a menu: Looks like someone fed him Bear Liver, poisonish fish, undercooked pork and raw chicken... The killer had a salad."
(Someone opens jacket, sees the shirt... everyone gasps)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Along these lines, has there been any anger yet about the talk that the administration grant clemency, etc. to potentially thousands of folks who are serving extremely long-term sentences over non-violent drug crimes?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
People in Federal Breast Inspector shirts get killed by militia men who mistake them for the real FBI.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think fast-food is a really stressful job. If you've worked a 'real job' and done fast food, you'd be surprised with how much more stressful and difficult the fast-food one is.

Maybe in part due to no job security, low pay, zero authority, customers abusing you, etc.

Into this, I remember years ago where people would mockingly say, "Oh, people should flip burgers and sweep floors before going on welfare!" Now, I suspect those same people turn around and mock people flipping burgers and sweeping floors because they aren't 'real jobs'.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Von Sloneker posted:

The video seems to be gone, too, which is a shame, because the excerpts just shown on All In were pretty :stare:

This is on Youtube, but I'm not sure if it's the full thing or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJeNMFXLJQ

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
There was a quote from William S. Burroughs:

"If you’re doing business with a religious son of a bitch, get it in writing. His word isn’t worth poo poo, not with the good Lord telling him how to gently caress you on the deal."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I grew up around someone who was supposedly Satanic, then Wiccan, into heavy metal and trying to piss off anyone who was Christian for quite a while in their teens.

As soon as they hit their mid-20s: Hardcore conservative Christians.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

keiran_helcyan posted:

Batman is one giant stealth argument in favor of capital punishment, particularly for the mentally ill.

Why is Metropolis such a great city? Because in the animated series, Metropolis isn't scared to execute murderers.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Pulled himself up by his broomstraps?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Fake edit: where did this whole "right wing/shock/outrage/be a mean rear end in a top hat" as a vehicle to success start, really? The first person I can think of is Morton Downey, Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton_Downey,_Jr.

But I bet it goes further back than that.

There was a fairly okay documentary on Morton Downey, Jr. on Netflix (I think it was called "Evocateur") and there is an eventual focus in the documentary on the similarity in style to the modern post-MDJr right wing pundits of today.

I think it could have been better, but it was interesting enough.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

The guy posting the Twitter feed said that Bergdahl acted like a guy who lived his life like he was the protagonist of a movie. He was always talking about walking out of Afghanistan or quitting the military to join the French Foreign Legion. One of those guys who doesn't understand consequence very well.

Would joining the French Foreign Legion be all that preferable to the US Military? What's the benefit to it?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Actions Obama takes should be presented, framed and defended in with the words of a conservative pundits who have previously strongly supported that action, right down to naming the act after them.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Here's what you do to save the Redskins name: Declare that the team is named after the delicious red apples of Washington state.

Sure, they're based out of DC and not WA, but who cares about details, it's all in the details! Otherwise, you go with my other option: The Washington White-mixed-with-Redskins, named for the pink Cherry Blossoms of DC.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Is there still that big Ayn Rand essay scholarship they do? I could see teachers in a school pushing that book to some classes on the basis of, "Hey, you do a good enough essay on it, you can win money for college!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm sort of surprised they aren't just dismissive of Hobby Lobby for selling a lot of imitation 'Americana' stuff that's made in China.