Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I just took mine to hobby lobby and had them do it. It was kind of expensive, but it looks nice and I didn't have to worry about it too much.

Probably not something you would want to do with a really expensive page, though. If you've paid more than about 300 dollars for something you'd definitely want to pay more for a fancier shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com
I inherited a John Romita Sr. cover and Sandman interior page so I'm definitely willing to put a few bucks into preserving them as we'll as making sure they're presentable in a home with a non-nerd girlfriend.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Shop around a lot, prices vary wildly from place to place, but I generally pay around $200-$300 for good professional framing for a single page. Price goes up pretty quickly with size of the framing, so factor that in if you want to frame a page with the printed comic or something. I currently use a local art gallery/frame shop for framing.

Avoid the mall places. When I was first looking at getting stuff framed, I found them to be ~5x more expensive for pieces (I was quoted $1000 to frame a page!).

Michael's prices is ok, if you use a coupon/wait for a sale, but you can usually find a frame place that will do it for the same price. Can't say anything about the quality as I've never actually used them (I personally wouldn't trust them with what you have).

If you're getting multiple pieces done, ask if they can give you discount.

Make sure they use archival materials (most should, but doesn't hurt to check). Also, go for the UV protecting glass, this will help prevent fading on the pieces over time when have them displayed (also don't display them in areas that are exposed to direct sunlight).

I generally get a 2-3 in matte on the piece, unless it's double page spread (I go for smaller there just for cost). I've found having a darker matte board looks better on inked pages - if it's lighter, the page gets lost in the frame. You can't really go wrong with a black mat, but I've started to get some other colors for variety. If you want to go white, or if you go black, it can be nice to get double mat and have a splash of color on the interior mat. I did this with a couple pieces. If it's a colored page, it can still look good, but it can be harder to find a nice complementary color to all of the color in the frame - for the one I had done, I picked the dominant color for the interior matte color.

Other big thing is to decide how much of the border you want showing. Early on, I had my hulk piece matted to only show the art, and the wife doesn't like it as much, so now I frame with the whole border showing. If they do that, they will end up attaching tape to the back of the print. It should be archival tape, so it shouldn't damage the print long term, but something for you to consider.

Of they happen to be pencils, ask them if they use spacers so the piece isn't touching the glass - that should prevent the piece from getting smudge if it shifts around in the frame for some reason.

If you want to see what some pieces look like framed, here are my two walls (sorry for the crappy photos).

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 16, 2014

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com
Thanks for the insight on the mattes - the contrast of the black mattes with the inked pages looks great. Likewise, while mine aren't colored, having that complimentary interior matte is a nice touch on your pieces.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

All this framing talk reminds me I've been lax in getting my works framed and even more lax in getting new art.

Speaking of, con season is coming, who's excited?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

That is loving embarrassment of riches you have on your wall. Love the Oeming.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

That is loving embarrassment of riches you have on your wall. Love the Oeming.

It's good for me (but not my wallet), that my wife likes collecting original art as well. We were thinking of buying a new house, and the amount of wall space for hanging pictures was actually a consideration.

Probably going to be a slow year for me this year - we just had a baby, so time and money is going to be a tighter than usual. I'm still planning on going to NYCC this year, and ReedPop is putting together a new comic focused convention in NYC in June which I'm thinking of checking that out. It's only two days, so I'm not sure how well commission will work out, but I figure it's worth checking out. Hopefully first year crowds won't be that bad. I also find it hilarious that they need to have a second comic book convention that actually focuses on comics.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 28, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

My wife is like yours, very supportive. The only problem is she wants me to get her stuff too which can be very expensive (the Pichelli Lady Loki I posted earlier was her choice).

Also Oeming has been selling art weekly on ebay. It's all going for really reasonable prices. Follow him on twitter for up-comings and massive conspiracies. Years ago I bought a couple pages from Powers second hand. It was honestly the first time I'd ever gotten published art that didn't come on branded art board and at least one of them isn't even labeled for what issue/page but they're confirmed works.

I've got Denver Comic Con coming up, gotta decide whether I want to go for a Mark Brooks or Tim Sale for the big piece from that. Then July is SDCC and that'll tap me out for the year. Maybe try and get some mail pieces from people going to other shows.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Just dipping my toe into this but I see that both David Finch & Bill Sienkiewicz are attending the Vancouver Fan Expo & I'm contemplating asking for commissioned artwork.I'd love to see some sort of Hawkeye vs Green Arrow piece in purple and green.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dead Snoopy posted:

Just dipping my toe into this but I see that both David Finch & Bill Sienkiewicz are attending the Vancouver Fan Expo & I'm contemplating asking for commissioned artwork.I'd love to see some sort of Hawkeye vs Green Arrow piece in purple and green.

While I commend your efforts, you're looking at serious coin for a commission for either of them, let alone colour (which they may not do) so keep that in mind. Also, some artists show up to shows and don't do commissions at all. Stuart Immonen is one of those. It also upsets me a little every time I see him knowing I'll never own a commission from him.

I tend to judge commission prices based on how much they sell their originals, it's usually within 10-20% on either side of that number.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Define serious coin.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dead Snoopy posted:

Define serious coin.

http://www.billsienkiewiczart.com/gallery.asp?sc=BSCM1&afs=T

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=91201 posted:

David Finch - As Of 4/7/10
$60 (Head Shot, Pencil), $100 (Bust Shot, Pencil), $200 (3/4 Figure, Pencil), $500 (Full Figure, Pencil)

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

You can sometimes talk them into giving you a quick sketch for free, but then you won't have much say in what you end up getting.

Prices sometimes vary by the con too, it can depend on how much they have to pay to get their, and the number of attendees at a particular con.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

You can sometimes talk them into giving you a quick sketch for free, but then you won't have much say in what you end up getting.

Prices sometimes vary by the con too, it can depend on how much they have to pay to get their, and the number of attendees at a particular con.

Both of these are good to remember.
Quick sketches can turn out to be really good depending on how many people are around. You can get some solid free ones from people at smaller shows or if they have no one around.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Yeah, like Darwyn Cooke doesn't do con commissions, but if there's no one around, and you ask nicely, he'll do a quick head sketch for you. That's how I got mine.

So, to add some art to this thread - I'm not entirely sure why I bought this, but I did, and it just came in.

Matthew Fletcher - ALF!

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 1, 2014

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Wow...that Moon Knight for $7k under the 'New Art For Sale' section is breathtaking.

Are convention commissions a cash transaction or are credit cards accepted as well?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

If you want to be sure you're better off with cash, but a lot artists have started to take credit - seeing a lot more of them using Square. I've Paypaled money at conventions through my phone too. You do have to be careful, as sometimes the convention wifi/cell coverage is spotty, so it takes forever or even never goes through. I spent about an hour wandering around the exterior of NYCC with J.Scott Campbell's brother trying to get a signal for their credit card machine when I was purchasing some art a couple years ago.

Bigger names, tend to be more likely to take credit cards, and most people that sit with dealers will as well (like the Essential Sequential people).

Credit can get a little dangerous for me at conventions, so I've actually stopped charge things, and try to stick to just spending the cash I bring.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

The Comic Art Professional Society (CAPS) is running an art auction to raise money to help cover medical expenses's for Stan Sakai's (creator of Usagi Yojimbo) wife. New pieces are going to be posted every Thursday. Some really big names have donated pieces. I've been keeping an eye on the art on Facebook, and some of them are some really awesome pieces that are coming up.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/capsauction

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm a huge fan of Ryan Kelly and always push his work whenever possible. This is one of those times.

He's started selling his pages for Three (Kieron Gillen on words) and they're really inexpensive. The man is amazing, utterly underrated and everyone should own at least one page from him just for support.

https://plus.google.com/photos/110512061814280183442/albums/5998479677512020625

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

RevKrule posted:

I'm a huge fan of Ryan Kelly and always push his work whenever possible. This is one of those times.

He's started selling his pages for Three (Kieron Gillen on words) and they're really inexpensive. The man is amazing, utterly underrated and everyone should own at least one page from him just for support.

https://plus.google.com/photos/110512061814280183442/albums/5998479677512020625

Thank you so much for pointing this out. Three was so ridiculously good

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Just got my pages, like 3-5 days after I ordered them. Ryan Kelly is really easy to work with.
I got the story of the hounds:

and the king talking to the ephors

I really wanted to get the first page of issue 1, but it was already gone

E: Oops, didn't realize I was hotlinking, they're on imgur now

StumblyWumbly fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 11, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dealing with Ryan Kelly are always some of the easiest transactions I ever have and I love that he always (or at least used to) include a signed floppy from the issue you got.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Those are great pages.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

We're deep in con season here people. No new stuff?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

RevKrule posted:

We're deep in con season here people. No new stuff?

I went Hobbity at Emerald City.

Fili and Kili by Marcus To

Kili by Jeremy Haun

Fili by Summer Suzuki

Working on filling out the set this year.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Dave Stokes has been on the convention circuit here in the UK for a while now, and is just starting to pick up a bit more published stuff after previously doing it mostly as a sideline. Most recently he's been doing inking and layouts for Mike Norton and Marc Laming. He does gorgeous commissions for pretty drat cheap.

I need to get some frames sorted, like asap. Having these still in the mail packaging is a crime.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I have some of my best pieces in a portfolio. It makes me a little sad but I'm not only out of frames but wall space.

Was Taters posted:

I went Hobbity at Emerald City.

Fili and Kili by Marcus To

Kili by Jeremy Haun

Fili by Summer Suzuki

Working on filling out the set this year.

These are awesome. Are you looking to just do Kili/Fili or the whole group?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

RevKrule posted:

I have some of my best pieces in a portfolio. It makes me a little sad but I'm not only out of frames but wall space.

These are awesome. Are you looking to just do Kili/Fili or the whole group?

The whole group, although Fili and Kili are of course my favorites. Hey, their actors are cute, what can I say? So yeah, looking for artists to do the others in groups and singles. I was thinking maybe by family - Ori Dori and Nori, Balin and Dwalin, etc.

I'm almost out of space in my portfolio, too, and my walls are fairly full. I rotate the drawings to the wall sometimes, but the paintings stay up all the time.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

If you run into Jason Metcalf at a convention, he does really good high fantasy commissions. His superhero art wasn't my style, so I almost passed him by, but he had some cool Game of Thrones concept art that he did for the TV show which caught my eye. I had him do this for me (it's pencil, so it didn't scan very well):

I was waiting until I actually received this commission in the mail to post this, but I did get this scan from Ted Naifeh:

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 16, 2014

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
FYI, Ryan Kelly is having his annual art sale this afternoon.

He posts prices at noon, Central time, at which point you can email him about the pieces you want, first come first served. As a note, stuff tends to go very fast because the prices are so low (everything is $100 or less), so you basically need to send your email as soon as he posts the prices to have a chance at the better pieces.

funtax fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 4, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I love Kelly's art sales and got in this one late. However I got the piece I really wanted out of the whole thing (BTiLC) so I'm exceptionally happy.

Please note, everyone who gets something also gets a copy of the Three TPB (amazing) and Funrama 1-3 (also amazing). He does it up right every time he has an art sale and always has great stuff and awesome extras.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

He was my inking teacher in college. He's a super good dude that should be a bigger name than he is. Plus his medical condition sounds like the worst thing in the world, so buy everything he puts out.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Beanpants posted:

He was my inking teacher in college. He's a super good dude that should be a bigger name than he is. Plus his medical condition sounds like the worst thing in the world, so buy everything he puts out.

That's the reason any time he's got pages or whatever up for sale, I post here. :)

He got the short shaft but still cranks out better/more consistent work than about 90% of people in comics. I own more of his stuff than any other artist and that's saying something.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

So, I just got back form Special Edition: NYC, which is ReedPop's (producers of NYCC)comic focused comic-con. Aside from the hilarity of needing a comic focused comic book convention, turned out to be pretty decent. Not too crowded, some decent names, and prices were pretty cheap for commissions (prices seemed lower than NYCC...). Didn't get much though, as I was only there for the one day, and I couldn't stay late to wait for commissions to complete. I did snag these though:

Mr. Freezes for the collceiton:
T.J Dort and Joe Haley:

Yale Stewart:

Pre-ordered this Rafael Albuquerque Pearl from American Vampire:

Picked up this Rod Reis Magik:

Also snagged a decent deal on this Ozymandias page by Jae Lee:

If I was going back on Sunday, probably would have picked up a couple more commissions, but oh well.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Denver Comic Con was also this weekend (drat you SENYC for taking a bunch of people from DCC) and before I got sick I was able to get a couple great pieces.

Domino by Mark Brooks
I really like this piece. It cost way more than I want to admit but after getting it, I felt a little sad I didn't go all out and pay for the full body piece. He spent all of Friday working on it and it really shows.

Nancy Callahan - Tim Sale
Gotta say, was a little weirded out by Tim Sale's whole speed pass thing but I don't think I saw him put out a bad piece all weekend. Really well done and a treat to watch him make it live.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Has anyone ever bought an original manga page? Is that something that you can even...do?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Has anyone ever bought an original manga page? Is that something that you can even...do?

I honestly am not sure about this. I have a feeling manga companies keep the art as people like Amy Reeder came from manga but you never see her sell those pages.

However, a some quick google searching around might also be informative. Also be sure to check out artists on comicartfans.com and then look and see if people actually own pages from assorted books.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

That Mark Brooks piece is awesome.

I tried to find Blade of the Immortal art at one point, but didn't have any luck. I wasn't sure if it was creator specific issue or not though. There were a couple pieces floating around in collections, but I have no idea how they were initially acquired.

Is Manga even done as work for hire?

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 17, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gninjagnome posted:

Is Manga even done as work for hire?
Holy hell, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I remember hearing about folks getting color samples or something, I think it was more of a piece of the production process and testing colors or the print, rather than a page that a single artist had done.

• Locked thread